Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best hydronic toekick heater?

Posted by cheri127 (My Page) on
Tue, May 5, 09 at 10:54

This is a x-post with the HVAC forum. Can anyone recommend a hydronic toekick heater? I've read good things about Beacon-Morris but was wondering if Myson is better. I'm looking for the quietest one I can find. TIA.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best hydronic toekick heater?

Hi Cheri127 we just went through this with our kitchen where we wanted to put cabinetry on a wall that had heater panels. We chose Turbonics heaters based on reviews on here and elsewhere. They were one of the few companies that had a way of recessing it into the toe kick of the cabinetry and then having a white/black/stainless/etc. grill choice that you could order separately. Our electrician is coming tonight to install the switches inside the cabinets (I didn't want the switches mounted on my wall) so I can't speak to how loud they are, but I LOVE how they blend right in. I can say that they were WONDERFUL to work with. I called the Friday before Easter in a panic because the cabinets couldn't be set until these things were installed and they helped me a lot and then drop shipped them directly to me so that I could get them faster. They are sold through Ferguson in my area which is Maryland.

We didn't know much about these and so when we spoke to our regular HVAC guy at the beginning of our whole house remodel he said "sure no problem I can get you those!" When the installer showed up a few weeks ago to install them I almost fell over! They were these ugly brown things with all of the knobs and controls visible on the front which would have been in my toe kick!!! I have custom white painted cabinetry so I said "no way!" They said they could get them in white, but the knobs and switches with all of that ugly writing, etc. would still have been on there so I jumped on trusty GW and did a quick search and came across the Turbonics. We have the kicksters because the room isn't that large and our cabinetmaker had cut out access panels in the bottoms of two base cabinets in case we ever needed to work on or replace whatever unit we selected and the kicksters were a bit smaller. He was so smart to think of this and he just put a removable piece of wood that is screwed down for easy removal. It creates a slight bump in my lower cabinet, but it's not a problem at all and will be so much easier if we need to repair/replace down the road.

Here is a link to the GW discussion about Turbonics and below is a link to their website. I've also included a picture of the grill on mine.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg1213000920024.html

The grill isn't that visible and that's what I wanted!
sun on the soapstone

Good luck!!!

Kat :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Turbonics Toe Kick Heaters

o

Lesmis, thank you for so much useful information. Your kitchen is beautiful. I'll definitely look into Turbonics. Do you know whether the plumber installed a circulation pump to make sure the hot water ran to your toe kick heater?

o

Cheri, thank you we are almost finished with our kitchen! My husband said they just plumbed it into the line and it worked fine with the available pressure so we didn't need the additional installation of a circulation pump. Make sure they bleed it really well when they install it because they had to come back and bleed ours some more because they hadn't bled it quite enough.

Good luck!

Kat :)

o

Turbonics!!!! Another happy customer here. In fact, I'll bet that I am one of the people on the thread that lesmis linked!

I think I actually found GW when I had done a google search for kick heaters. Read about Turbonics here, and the rest as they say, is history! Our plumber, who tried to disuade us from getting kick heaters (they're noisy, you'll hate it....), was very impressed with our Kicksters (we had him put in two, one on either side of our island, based on Craig's recommendation--owner of Turbonics?).

FYI, we kept the dark brown/black plastic grills that came with our Kicksters, figuring they'd disappear under our island, but you can also purchase slivery (plastic) ones separately.

o

Hi,
I bought a Myson. You can order the optional flex hoses so that it could be changed out without removing the cabinets, which idea appealed to me. It is the middle-sized one which according to the chart was the same output as a 400 lb cast iron "boat anchor". The fan is two speed. The sound isn't tinny or annoying to me, but it is audible. It does a fine job pf heating the kitchen.
Casey

Here is a link that might be useful: Myson

o

Thanks Casey and Cat Mom. Like you, Casey, it was the flex hose that led me to Myson. I don't think the controls on the grill will bother me because there's an apron detail around the toekick that will help hide it and it's in the least conspicuous part of the kitchen. Maybe I'll get my plumbers opinion before ordering.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here