Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kristine_2009

Question about the Root Beer Candy glass tiles for fire and ice

kristine_2009
13 years ago

I got my candy glass tile yesterday from Modern Tile Studio. It is really strange, I got a full box (that has 10 sheets in it, not the 11 that they said I had to order??) that says "high tea" on it, not "root beer". They look like the ones on their website that say peach tea. They are alot more gold than brown. So,my question is, for those of you that have these same glass pieces, did they send me the wrong ones? I thought maybe they just changed the name? I sent them an email last night and hope to hear back from them today.

Comments (23)

• chris45ny
    13 years ago

That is strange. Make sure they only charge for 10, not 11. Can you post a pic? I have the burnt umber/root beer ones and they are definitely not peachy or gold looking.

• pudgybaby
    13 years ago

Strange, indeed. Do you have a sample of fire & ice? I assumed that the 'peach tea' was the peach colored squares in the fire and ice, which in my sample are nothing like the copper colored ones I got from glasstileoasis. And I would not call them gold at all. Did you see Buehl's post about rootbeer modertilestudio vs copper/brown glasstileoasis? She/he said that they are the same thing. It's in the other thread, the one about the garnet tiles.

When I go to moderntilestudio.com and click on candy glass, the peach ones look a little different in the various shapes, as do the rootbeer ones. In both cases the square tiles look darker than the round and oval shapes. My tiles from glasstileoasis really look very much like the smaller rootbeer squares. Some are VERY iridescent: silver and purple, others are more copper colored. I only have one peach tile in my one sample sheet of fire and ice, and it's completely different. My one peach tile is like the small circle tiles at moderntilestudio.

I wish I could help more.

• kristine_2009
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, I talked to them and they said I could've gotten a bad dye lot and I can exchange for another box. Oh, and the item # is TIG2116 Heirloom series (which is the same item# as the brown ones at glasstileoasis) and the manufacturer is Keen Ocean. I also verified that that the manufacturer calls these High Tea instead of Root Beer. When my fire and ice gets here I will take a picture of these with it so you can see what it looks like. On my monitor, the color is almost identical to the pic of the brown ones at glasstileoasis, they aren't nearly as dark as the large rootbeer pic on the far right at moderntilestudio. I am going to order a sample from glasstileoasis and moderntilestudio to see if I got a bad dye lot or if I just expected them to be darker than they are. I will say they do look darker when take them off the paper and put them up against the wall. The pic pudgybaby posted with the sample from glasstileoasis looks nothing like these. Maybe this is all just a difference in monitors.
    I guess for now I will wait and see if the samples I get match this box I have now, and if they don't I will swap it out for another dye lot. The do look like the same type of glass that are in the fire and ice, they have the dimple/swirl and some are iridescent.

• kristine_2009
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here are a couple of pics I just took. They are a pretty accurate representation of color.
    They don't look "peachy", but I think they look like the dark squares of peach tea at moderntileoasis. I have seen the fire and ice in person, and these are no where near the light peach that is in those. These actually look really good with my cherry cabinets, I just thought they would be a lot darker. Pudgybaby's sample looks much darker than what I have.

• chris45ny
    13 years ago

Took some pics of my fire and ice sheet and a burnt umber/root beer tile I got from GWer Monica. She had gotten her tiles from modern tile studio and didn't need all the tiles from the 11 sheets. The tile I got from Monica is the one on the right next to the peach tile that came on the F & I sheet. Hope this helps!

• kristine_2009
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Chris. Yeah, these look nothing like the ones you got from Monica. Hmmmm, not really sure what is going on. I ordered the same thing from the same place :(

• Buehl
    13 years ago

Mine look like yours Kristine...and both the "Root Beer" from ModernTileStudio and the Light Brown from GlassTileOasis look identical. No, they aren't as dark as the ones in Chris' pictures. Could it be the light and/or the orientation (horizontal vs vertical) of the tile?

• chris45ny
    13 years ago

Ok. I took some more pics-excuse the masking tape. The sheet is taped to the wall and the burnt umber/root beer tile I got from Monica who got it from modern tile studio is on the right next to the peachy one. First pic is no kitchen lights on. The second pic is with the kitchen lights on. Now, it's laying vertically up against the wall. HTH.

• kristine_2009
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I sent a pic of my full sheet to them this am and they emailed me back and said it looked like a lighter dye lot. She said she is out of samples and is going to order some more to verify that I do have root beer and not a mislabeled peach tea. Chris' sample is nothing like this one.

• kristine_2009
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh, and thanks Chris for the pics! Yours look like what I had envisioned the root beer should look like. Actually, what I think would look really good is using these these light brown ones and the dark root beer ones (if I could get some) and do away with the clear and peach altogether. I have cherry cabs with a mocha glaze and they would look great with my cabinets. So far it is looking like the dark colored ones aren't to be found though.....

• Buehl
    13 years ago

The Root Bear & Light Brown I got both look like the lighter ones to the left of Chris' Root Beer.

Kristine...keep us posted please...

I think I will call them about it as well tomorrow (assuming they're open). Maybe if more than one person is unhappy they'll do more...you never know!

• kristine_2009
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Modern Tile Studio called the manufacturer of the root beer tiles. They confirmed that this is a lighter dye lot. They aren't sure if the next dye lot will be darker or not. It could be a few months as they have over 700 sheets in stock right now.

So if anyone knows of a place where I could get a sheet of dark brown glass tile please let me know. Thanks!

• marissa_dc
    13 years ago

Hello Everyone--I've been following all of the forums on Fire and Ice..I am also looking for the replacement tiles. I see that someone ordered from Mosaic and Glass Tiles and said the products were the same. I had a different experience--just got them in this week and mine are definitely different. I ordered the Illusion Brown Tiles from Glass Tiles Oasis and they are not as dark as the "burnt umber" tiles that Jodi used. I also ordered the Root Beer tiles from Modern Tile Studio and they are DEFINITELY lighter than the Illusion Brown Tiles from Glass Tiles--so basically neither are as dark as I need them to be.

I have black granite countertops, cherry cabinets, and stainless steel appliances. I thought about incorporating some black tiles, along with the "root beer" tiles, to incorporate a little more of the darker colors. I ordered the Gilden Treasure small squares from Modern Tile and they are actually really nice. They have a black silverish look to them that will go nice with the stainless appliances. YOu can use 4 little squares to make one 1 5/8 square. Has anyone else incorporating the black squares in to the Fire and Ice?

• kristine_2009
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I responded to the other thread too, but I do know that modern tiles samples are new and from the current dye lot. She told me she ordered new samples because she was out. So if you would decide to order some, theirs is the shade you would receive.

• pudgybaby
    13 years ago

Marissa_dc: mofojoy (aka moniqua, monica, I think) used black tiles in hers, but they were slightly larger than the 1 5/8". She doesn't have black counters, but her pics will give you an idea of how the black looks in the backsplash. I think she bought the 11 sheets of the amber tiles from Modern Tile and sold the extras to other GWers.

I have natural cherry cabs (so, no stain - are yours stained?) and black granite (jet mist). I think I have the same replacement tiles that kristine_2009 has, from the same dye lot, lighter than we all wanted. I ordered mine from glass tile oasis. My back splash is installed and I love it - the replacement tiles match my cabinets very closely, but my cabinets will darken some over time. I used ORB pulls and knobs which I think picks up the black counter tops (although ORB isn't truly black, but close).

These tiles amber glass tiles are color-changing and definitely affected by lighting, not to mention camera flash, exposure, etc. It sounds like the latest dye lot is definitely lighter (thanks, Kristine for investigating that!) but I wonder how much lighter. I just think it's so hard to tell - mine look darker with my under cabinet lights on, which wasn't what I was expecting! I've linked mofojoy's photobucket. I'm embedding one of her photos that shows lighter and darker amber tiles depending on the lighting, possibly the camera flash (the black ones are there too, easily identified because they're a bit bigger). I would say in real life, mine look like the lighter tiles in this photo:

Here is a link that might be useful: Mofojoy's photobucket with black glass in fire and ice

• marissa_dc
    13 years ago

Thx for all the info! I found the black tiles at cooltiles.com that are 1 5/8. I ordered a sample and they should be in this weekend. the root beer tiles aren't horrible and might work with the black tiles incorporated as well to darken the overall look. I just can't believe that no one else makes these glass tiles in that size. I've searched the internet for hours and only found like 3 websites..

• kristine_2009
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Are these the black ones you are ordered? http://www.cooltiles.com/dttv426.html
    I had seen those too, but thought they would be too iridescent, but maybe it is just the way they photograph. Keep us updated. Curious to see how they look!

Here is a link that might be useful: black tiles

• marissa_dc
    13 years ago

Kristine_2009--Those are the black ones I ordered. I've attached a pic..it was with my camera phone but you can get the idea. The are almost exactly the same as the smaller ones from modern tile.

Ok..help..can't figure out how to upload the pic?

• Buehl
    13 years ago

From the "Read Me" thread:

Posting a picture from your photo hosting account (e.g., PhotoBucket)

First, where are your pictures? If on your computer only, you'll need to upload them somewhere on the web for the rest of us to see them. I upload pictures to PhotoBucket.

1. Open an account w/PhotoBucket or other photo hosting site.

2. Take a picture using a digital camera (or film camera but get them on disk when they're developed)

3. Resize your pics so they're not too big, generally no more than 400x300 (or 300x400) (resize keeping the same proportions so they don't get distorted...i.e., don't specify a specific size, use %-ages or similar)*****[You can also often resize pictures at your photo hosting site, but it's faster to do on your computer]

4. Upload your pictures to your photo account

5. Find the label that contains the link to the picture
      (In PhotoBucket, it's the box labeled "HTML Code")

6. Copy that link and paste it into the "Message" box of a post.

7. When you "Preview" your message, you will see the picture.

PhotoBucket Link Views:

Posting a picture from somewhere other than your Photo hosting account

1. Copy the following into the "Message" box where you want the picture to be:
      {{gwi:1467847}}

Next, replace the http://www.XXX/image.jpg with the address of the image.
    When you "preview" the message, you should see the picture

Here is a link that might be useful: Read Me If You're New To GW Kitchens!

• marissa_dc
    13 years ago

Thanks for all the help posting!!

• chris45ny
    13 years ago

Really like those black ones from Cool Tiles!!! I have black in my granite but it's too late for me as I'm done. I would have used some of them in a heartbeat.

• marissa_dc
    13 years ago

Hello Everyone
    We have finally ordered everything and I just wanted to show some pics with the samples of the copper and black replacement tiles. I really think it looks nice incorporating the colors of the cabinets and the granite. I'm definitely using the black tiles since the copper tiles aren't as dark as the original ambe ones (first discussed in this forum).

• marissa_dc
    13 years ago

So this summer project quickly rolled into a project for this winter. since its been a while i wasn't sure if anyone knew if the rootbeer tiles were still that lighter dye lot? I can't remember which were darker--the Light Brown from Glass Tiles or the root beer from Modern Tiles? I only have the sample from Glass Tiles...

Thanks!