Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to incorporate a post into our kitchen island

Posted by Mona3636 (My Page) on
Fri, May 27, 11 at 8:51

We are about to begin our kitchen reno which includes removing the walls between the kitchen/dining room and kitchen/living room. My husband had decided he needs to install a post and beam for extra support when we remove the wall and now I'm stuck with having a post in the middle of the open concept. What we would like to do is incorporate the post somehow into the kitchen island design (maybe an L shaped island) but I have not been able to find any designs like this anywhere. Suggestions/pictures from anyone who has done this before would be welcome.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to incorporate a post into our kitchen island

I found this old thread I had remember reading a few years ago. This should be really helpful to you.

Here is a link that might be useful: islands with posts

o

10K Diamond has a beautiful kitchen. I don't remember if her columns are load bearing or not. Hopefully she won't mind me posting her pic.

Photobucket

o

My advice may not be what you're looking for but just giving my two cents. Our old kitchen layout incorporated the post into The island and it was not the ideal placement. We toyed with the idea of an l shaped island but ultimately decided that a rectangular one would provide the look we wanted and not disrupt traffic flow like and l-shaped one would. We thought the standalone post would really bug us but it doesn't at all. We capped it with crown and baseboards so it looks like more of an architectural feature.

Old:

New, view from family room to kitchen.

o

Not sure this will be helpful but I will share what happened when we took the wall out between our kitchen and dining room. Instead of puting a post to support we reduced the length of the opening between the two spaces and dropped the ceiling a bit to put in a thick engineered beam to support the ceiling. So there is a transition space between the rooms where the space is narrower than the rooms, therefore the length of the load the ceiling beam had to carry was shorter not requiring an additional support.

I don't know if it makes sense and unfortunately I don't have a good photo. Just imagine a small "transition space" between the rooms, much larger than a doorway (9 feet in this case) but smaller than the full width of each space. Just another option.

o

We're knocking down two walls so we're creating an interesting header with a steel support hidden in that dropped down section of the ceiling...it's a big span, so it can be done!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here