Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jraz_wa

List of matte countertops: honed, antiqued, natural...

jraz_wa
14 years ago

As I ponder countertop options, I have noticed there are several threads here discussing different kinds of matte countertop surfaces, however, I would love to see a list of them in one place - a go-to list for people who don't want a shiny countertop.

If you have a matte finish (be it honed, antiqued, brushed, satin, or just "natural") in quartz, recycled glass, granite, marble, recycled paper, whatever, please list it here and include a picture if you can. Info about stains, upkeep, scratching, fingerprints, etc would be helpful as well.

Thanks!!

Comments (6)

• mary_a
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I'd like to see that as well, since I will be making a decision in the not too distant future and I like the look of matte also.

• roulie
    14 years ago

Cambrian Black granite with antique leather finish.

I just had this installed in my not-yet-complete kitchen and I LOVE IT!!! From the beginning of the renovation, I knew that I wanted a non-glossy black countertop. I originally wanted soapstone, but my husband wanted something that wouldn't show any wear, so we looked at black granites with different finishes. I liked the look of the absolute black honed, but the sample I brought home showed too many fingerprints for my taste (or my 2 boys' grubby hands!). The antique leather finish is gorgeous and is so easy to clean. We have only been eating at the island for a few days now, but I have just been wiping it with a damp cloth and it's perfect. The granite installer said that I should use windex on it, but I haven't tried that yet.

My piece has small flecks of copper and silver, which are really beautiful and catch the sunlight.

Here is a link that might be useful: cambrian black granite with antique leather finish

• jraz_wa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here are some of the stones/products that I've been considering in my search for non-glossy kitchen surface. I've also reposted a few pictures here that I have collected. If you search on the name of the stone or the username I've credited, you will find their post and comments. Or perhaps they will contribute something additional here. =)

Granites:
    Jet Mist/Virginia Mist
    Here is a photo from Boxerpups
    {{gwi:1832793}}

Ocean Green
    Here is a photo from Grendal Fly
    {{gwi:1832795}}

Cambrian Black
    Thank you Roulie for the pictures and info above!

Nordic Black
    A picture from Alexamd
    {{gwi:1832797}}

Absolute Black sounds like the honed version displays fingerprints nicely. IÂve seen some fabricators mention they donÂt install it anymore. But IÂve also seen some homeowners say they like it.

Here is a thread on honed light granite. I'd love to see some photos from people of have gone this route!
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0108363719329.html

Marble
    I haven't collected many marble pictures, so honed marble owners, feel free to share. There are some honed marble threads in the forum where more info can be found.

Soapstone  many varieties

Recycled paper countertops such as Paperstone, Richlite, Ecotop
    IÂve seen samples of the Paperstone and Richlite. Both are matte. However, some of the older installations IÂve seen seem to show more shine in some areas  perhaps where they get more wear? Maybe the shine is the "patina"?

Recycled glass countertops  Ice Stone, Fuez, Vetrazzo
    Some are very shiny and some are more matte. IÂm assuming this is a result of how they are polished and sealed. Most manufacturers also make their products for use as floor materials. These are often honed or antiqued to give them more anti-slip properties. IÂm sort of assuming any of these could be honed, or at least finished with a more matte appearance, but I havenÂt seen this mentioned as an option for countertops on any of the product websites. Perhaps someone with more knowledge of the honing process can chime in on this? I have a Fuez sample in Sapling. I believe it is unsealed, so assuming you can use a matte sealer on it, then you would have a matte product.

I saw a very cool new product at the Pratt and Larson near me (Bellevue, WA) that was the same idea as the recycled glass counters but with small pebbles used instead. It was very cool looking and was relatively matte.

And since both of those are concrete based materials, I guess concrete should be mentioned as a potential non-glossy surface. Anyone out there with matte concrete counters?

Quartz
    I know IÂve seen some kitchens here with honed quartz surfaces. However, IÂve also read that many fabricators are not installing certain quartz colors honed because of issues they had. I would love to hear more from others that are familiar with the issues or that have honed quartz.

• Stacey Collins
    14 years ago

I am pondering this right now. I went down to Boston and looked at three granite warehouses last week. Most of the colors I liked did not come pre-honed, so my fabricator woulod be buying a polished slab and removing the polish by honing.

A few colors WERE available from the wholesaler already matte. Boston Granite Exchange had kashmir White, Absolute Black, and a few others available in the "leather" finish. They claim it is absolutely the easiest to care for, shows dirt least, etc. It felt a little too rough/rustic for me though... I want in between, like "satin" finish in wall paint :)

BGE also had a couple colors available "Antique". From what I could see (slabs were behind others so just an edge sticking out) it seemed slightly less textured than the Leather finish. But I would want to see the whole slab.

In our last house we had Kashmir White honed. It was a lovely finish.... smooth and soft, with only a slight glimmer where the more quartzy bits of stone were in the aggregate.

We;re trying to avoid that super-bling, super-shiny, very "hard" feeling that you get with polished granite. Looks great in some houses but we're going for a more casual, organic, friendly, soft feeling in this kitchen...

Hope this helps-
    Stacey

• elme
    14 years ago

We went with Cambrian Black... it is not installed yet but I have seen it on displays and have read many things about it on this site. It has the best matted look and is so easy to maintain. It reminded me of soapstone without all the oiling and such.

• MIssyV
    12 years ago

Can someone tell me if the greenish looking slab in the above post (has the yellow lift on it) is indeed ocean green granite? Wow...that is pretty!