Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
spincrazy25_gw

Reality Check...what would you do?

spincrazy25
15 years ago

After all the time I have spent on here getting advice from all you fine people, I thought I had a good layout (2A). Got it priced and WHAMO... it is so over my very small budget. I have tried to convince myself that I can take $$ earmarked for other projects, buy my stove from Best Buy so I can use our no interest payments, etc. But, something just isn't setting right with me.

We were currently looking at Medallion Silverline, but with lots of upgrades. See the problem is I have champagne taste and a beer budget. But I think if we're going to do it, do it right! I know I can look at lesser priced options my cabinet guy has- Mid-Continent or Quality Cabinets. But my biggest problem is that I moved the water.

So, I came up with this option (number 5 maybe?) What do you think (I'm sure it needs tweaks anyway)? Is this as good as 2A considering the $$ I would save, or should I look at the less expensive cabs to keep 2A?

Thanks for helping me get through this!

{{!gwi}}

so you remember 2A:

(or all one level top)

Comments (21)

• melanie1422
    15 years ago

Have you gotten a price from a local custom cabinet guy? I priced out Medallion cabinets, just like I wanted, and it came to over $14k. My custom guy can do the exact same thing, with extra bells and whistles, for $6k.

I really like 2A better. You have more seating, its more open, and you have the sink in a better position, IMO.

• rhome410
    15 years ago

I agree with Melanie1422 about checking out your options, but I like option 5. It isn't as open, but almost, and has work area near the stove, where it could be better to prep and work on baking projects while others tend to cleanup or clearing the dw near the sink...Also the stove is more protected and the dish storage handy to both dining areas. The biggest compromise is cutting to 2 bar seats...Is that enough? (I can't remember your needs for that)

• holligator
    15 years ago

There are several factors that make 5 better than 2A. The stove area is better protected. The view from the family room is more attractive, in my opinion. The dish storage is more convenient. Of course, there are several things that make 2A more appealing. The open DW door is less of an obstacle, there is more room for seating, and there is more pantry space. I'm sure there are more pros and cons for both.

Ultimately, you need to decide which design better meets the priorities for you and your family (including function, aesthetics, and cost) and go with that.

I echo the others who suggested checking with custom cabinet makers. Mine was less than half the cost of moderate-to-low priced cabinets I had been looking at, and being custom, they are SO much nicer and exactly what I wanted.

By the way, is having a third stool around the corner an option? It's tough to tell from the drawings if there would be enough space between a stool and the table and chairs, but I like stools at an angle--makes for much better conversation possibilities.

• Buehl
    15 years ago

I agree with others:

• Range is more protected (a big plus)

• Bigger expanse of workspace with the peninsula + base of the "U" all one level (another big plus!)

• It's still fairly open to the FR

• DW is more "open" for working around; it may, though block the DR doorway

• Dish storage is better on that wall as it's also more convenient to the breakfast nook and DR

• There's also the added advantage of storage in the FR! You could have the "closed storage" go to the ceiling if you wanted even more storage in the FR.

For seating, I agree w/Holligator...try taking down the fake panel and leaving it open. With the extra inches you'll gain, you may actually have room for 3 stools. You'll have approx 5 linear feet; 3 seats may be a little tight but they will fit in a pinch either w/someone sitting around the corner or sitting in line w/the other two. No, I probably wouldn't want to sit 3 there on a daily basis, but for parties, etc. you could do it. If you have room, make the peninsula a little deeper (say another 3" to 6"...which would then allow a standard 24" deep cabinet on the peninsula which is cheaper than a 21" deep) and then you'll have almost 5-1/2'...you might be able to have 3 seats there regularly.

If you don't like the look or don't really need more than 2 stools, then you could leave it as-is.

You do, though, lose the cabinet & counter space on the back wall (wall shared w/DR). I think I understand why you did it though. You wanted to minimize that wall b/w the FR & Kitchen and still have adequate landing & work space around the range & still have a pantry cabinet. To include the back wall of cabinets & counter space as well as corner storage, you'd have to add another 12" or so to the wall b/w the FR & Kitchen. What if you left the corner "dead"? Then you could add back that wall. It would also open up that side of the kitchen a little more and give you more work room to the left of the range. With the extra workroom on the left, you might even be able to reduce the 18" cabinet to the left of the range to a 12"...thereby gaining 6" more for the opening b/w the two rooms as well as making a 3rd stool more realistic.

The other option is to just put a corner super susan to the left of the range...but that won't leave much space b/w the pantry & susan for another cabinet...maybe 6". But, 6" could work as a spice/oil pullout.

This is a 6" cabinet pullout. In your case, I would make it a filler pullout (gain 1" in opening width) that has adjustable shelves. Mine was supposed to be both, but didn't end up that way (long story).

• southernstitcher
    15 years ago

I'll speak to the cabinet statement since that is all I know about, although I think your new plan looks fine.

We got a quote on installed Mid-Continent, $7K, for a galley kitchen, 24 lineal feet and included a 24" pantry with pullouts, all plywood exposed ends and free upgrade by the manufacturer to better dovetailed soft close drawers. We examined their standard, builder grade in a spec home. My DH said "call the custom guy back".
    The Mid-Continent had paper laminate on the shelves and ends, which was peeling off already and the house wasn't even finished. The paper was bubbling on the sides.

My KD called me yesterday to say that Mid-Continent is offering all plywood upgrade for just 5% more right now, in addition to the drawer upgrade, and she thinks that will last a while. Note on their website however, there is more than one plywood upgrade. Just make sure you do not get any paper laminate, even on the shelves.

I'm waiting on the contractor's quote, so I may wind up having to cut corners too. If I do, it will be in lighting, backsplash, and countertop, which can always be updated later without disrupting everything else. I'm already going with middle of the road appliances.
    For me, countertop cost will be $850 high end post form laminate, $2,000 2cm granite w/ laminate edge, $2700 Cambria Quartz, so there is opportunity for savings there too.
    I hope you can find ways to cut corners and still get a fabulous kitchen!

Here is a link that might be useful: Mid-Continent

• spincrazy25
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It makes me feel better that option 5 is getting positives reviews. In answer to some of your questions.....

We currently use two stools. Have three, but they all won't fit. I don't want to replace them, and adding would be an issue since LNT went out of business. The only person who uses them is DS- but that is because we don't know enough people to entertain right now. Ha! In our old house/town, we had the same, and I wished we had 1 more.
    That reminds me, what is the right height stool for counter height and bar height? Just curious.
    I did consider turning the corner, but didn't think I had enough space.

Buehl- I thought about keeping the U, but I was concerned with putting the pantry on the end. Won't it seem a bit....oppressive? Coming out 24" I'm afraid it will look like a bit lump on the wall, not to metion cramping up the corner.

Dish storage: I know all of you are doing the dish drawer thing now. In option 5, are you thinking they would be best in the drawers on the peninsula (close to the range)? I intended to still have my dishes in the wall cabs, some with glass to show them. I really like my dishes- Mikasa Italian Countryside- and thought the white showing through would break up the sea of wood nicely. But, I'm concerned about taking them out, then walking across the kitchen to lay them out on the peninsula. Is it more functional to have dishes near the dishwasher, or where it's easier to access when preparing a meal?

DW location- pretty close to where it is now is not a problem. We hardly ever use the DR besides holidays, so no worries about blocking it.

Now for the custom cabs. I've read several posts about the savings found by going custom. Sounds great, but I would feel sooooo guilty after the time my cab guy has put into it. We did two bathroom a year ago, with the intention of the kitchen to follow soon. But we took a long break. Would it be bad to cut him loose now? I know it's my money in the end.....

• L H
    15 years ago

I like 5. And I say don't feel bad about making changes that fit YOUR budget. I've done the exact same thing. I started wanting the best cabinets, moving the stove, etc. I couldn't do it. I could not justify spending that kind of money. I'm not saving lives redoing my kitchen! So I've investigated other excellent alternatives and have settled on replacing doors/drawer fronts for about $800 (that gives me the full overlay look I want and allows me to get panels on ends and around the island that I couldn't afford otherwise), 5 new cabinets only (replacing island and a couple within the L to get better functional cabs), hiring a painter to paint professionally, new laminate counters, backsplash, sink, faucet and lighting. My budget is 6k. And having priced everything, I expect I'll be right around there and I'll love my new kitchen just as much as if I spent 26k.

Good luck on whatever you decide.

• Buehl
    15 years ago

Personally, I prefer my dishes in an upper cabinet...but I'm 5'10" so that may have a lot to do with my preference! I would place them near the DW. When unloading the DW, you're putting away all the dishes you've gotten out during the day...you'll be running back & forth b/w the peninsula and DW several times if your dishes are stored there.

When setting the table, I tend to get all the plates down, take them over to the flatware drawer, load up the flatware needed on top of the plates, then walk to the DR to set the table. I come back for glasses...I can carry 4 at a time & since there are usually only 4 of us, it works. As to serving dishes, I get them down as needed...fill them, then take them to the table in the DR. So, for me, having the dishes near the DW is much better.

Maybe you don't work that way and the drawers in the peninsula would work better...but what would you put in the glass fronted cabinets?

Oppressive? I don't know, I don't think so, but why don't you draw #5 up the way you did the others...did the cabinet guy give you elevation pics to post instead? I was thinking of the additional storage & counter you would gain. I suspect the first one I posted might look less-oppressive than the second since there's more room to the left of the range.

• holligator
    15 years ago

I completely understand your feelings of guilt about the cabinet guy. I didn't even like the KD that I had been working with, but I still felt guilty going with someone else, even though they had far better quality for much cheaper and weren't sleazy like him. Guess what? I got over it. :)

About the glass doors...I think they look absolutely lovely in your drawings, and I think you're right about your pretty dishes breaking up all the wood. My question is are all your dishes pretty? I have some that would look great in glass cabinets, but I have lots of others that would not. You know, the mismatched mugs and plastic cups, the random serving dish that doesn't go with anything else, etc. If you could have at least one dish cabinet with a solid door, I would recommend it.

About the pantry...I agree that it would be a bit imposing over there, and I also don't like 24-inch deep pantries. Could you put full-length 12- or 15-inch deep cabs there instead? You could cover that whole wall and the ones in the corner could come down to the counter, possibly even serving as an appliance garage. This could also solve the glass door issue--stick the ugly or mis-matched dishes in the pantry cabinet!

Finally, about the stool height...most stools are sold in categories of "bar height" or "counter height" and there are standard ranges of height for each. Generally, one would not work for the other, so if you are set on keeping stools you already have, your counter should match that height. On the other hand, I'd base my decision on the counter height I wanted and get new stools if I needed to.

• spincrazy25
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Buehl- I'm 5'10" too! I'd much rather reach up then bend to a drawer for sure! No elevation pics for the new one...I haven't even told him my thought yet. I will sketch up the U though.....That's how DH like to see it too.

Holligator-
    I realized after I did my sketch that I'd probably only need 2 glass fronts for my pretty dishes- although I do have alot of matching pieces. I will look into your full height ideas though.
    I actually like my cabinet guy, so it makes it more difficult for sure.
    RE my bar stools, I've always thought they were tall for counter height- but then again I am pretty tall and have issues with leg room anyway. Perfect for my little guy though. I think they are around 30" high.

• holligator
    15 years ago

Yeah, those stools would be considered bar height instead of counter height. I believe counter height stools are about 25" tall.

• kitchenredo2
    15 years ago

What are the upgrades? I plan to purchase/install upgrade items in my cabinets and saved $$$. So far I've purchased: mixer lift, pull-out double waste cans (both Rev-A-Shelf). I am deciding on roll out tray for the sink and beneath the mixer lift and what cabinet dividers for above the DO for cookie sheets, trays, etc.

You'd be amazed at the mark up the cabinet companies have for these items.

• rhome410
    15 years ago

Standard counter height stools are 24" and bar height are 30".

I'm not anywhere near 5'10" and although I have my plates and bowls in drawers now, I keep my cups and glasses up, and if I had to go back to having everything in uppers, I wouldn't consider it a sacrifice at all. When I looked at Plan 5, I was figuring your dish storage would be on the sink wall.

It will make the aisle just a little tighter, but if this were my kitchen and I wanted space for an occasional 3rd seat (and why not), I'd go ahead and make a 12" overhang around the corner where the dead space is. Then you could have a standard 24" drawer cabinet on the peninsula with a 12" deep shelf behind. Win-win-win. :-)

• spincrazy25
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh- another question I wanted to ask. Out on the bar side, where it says Closed Storage, I sketched another option where I had a bookcase on top. It looked cool, and DH got all excited and said "We can put all our DVDs there!" Uh, no. He asked what would I put there, and I said "books, pretty things", and he was not thrilled. We are not hurting for more bookshelves in this place (we have one built-in in our MBR and two freestanding in the LR), but would it look nicer, design-wise? I am crazy for a nice built-in. Too bad I don't live in a cozy Craftsman.

• rhome410
    15 years ago

I'm not quite clear on the last question...Whether to leave it just wall, like in the drawing, or have a shelf up that wall?

I really love the clean look you have drawn with the wall. It offers the storage below, and the nice area for hanging wall art...The best of both, I'd say...Especially if you don't need any more shelf storage. But what would you rather display there/What do you have a shortage of space for...Decorative items that need a shelf, or a couple of cool photos or art prints? Personally, I'm short on both (and CD/DVD storage, come to think of it), so would envy either. ;-)

• spincrazy25
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I guessing I'm asking which option would look "nicer"- most appelaing in resale too. We really don't NEED more display space- since it tends to get cluttered.

And the upgrades I spoke of earlier were, plywood ends/paneled ends, dovetail drawers, matching interiors. Nothing crazy.

• southernstitcher
    15 years ago

I have to call mine today to tell them we're going with custom, but giving them the countertop business and some other things. I sure hope they keep the great quote they gave me on these other things! If they get snarky or difficult, I surely won't recommend them to my neighbors, who all indicate being in the market for remodels in the near future.
    It's hard to do, but you have to go with what's right for YOU and YOUR money. They have to expect to lose some customers, period.

• Buehl
    15 years ago

Only get matching interiors for the glass fronted cabinets.

Get plain panels for the end cabinets (i.e., not decorative/fake doors). You can always get the fake doors later if you feel you need them.

There's a thread that talks about ways to save money:

Scrimp on this, Splurge on that....: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg101324514831.html

BTW...this is what my DH did for DVD storage....

My DH recessed these shelves into one of the walls we put up when we refinished about half the basement quite a while ago. (The shelves were done this year.) The shelves were sized to fit VHS tapes...including the oversized-Disney cases! But, we filled them up w/DVDs! [The finished basement is part media room for DH, part kids playroom.]

• oldtimecarpenter
    15 years ago

There is no way that this is more than a $14,000 kitchen, even with appliances. I think you need to get a lot smarter about cabinets, and a good place to start is the web site below. Then go find a good local cabinet maker to work with you within your budget.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cabinet Basics

• spincrazy25
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the link oldtimecarpenter. The $14K mentioned was a quote melanie1422 got on HER kitchen. However, I will say that my 2A option in cherry was quoted at $12K. At least I'm smart enough to know that is still way too high.

• melanie1422
    15 years ago

And my kitchen is smaller! But that was the highest estimate I got - but it was JUST cabinets, not hardware, not counters, not extras, like silverware dividers.

The more I look at option 5 the more I think it could work. Maybe with just a few tweaks - I like what buehl did making it a U-shape. I still would recommend getting local custom quotes. Mine ranged from $3500 for the most basic cabinets to $8500 for bells and whistles, depending on the carpenter.