Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alku05

Scrimp on this, Splurge on that....

alku05
16 years ago

So lets face it, even us TKOers have to face the reality of our budgets. Part of making the budget work is deciding what to splurge on, and what to scrimp on to make those splurges possible. So what were your scrimps and splurges?

I'll go first.

Scrimp:

*Cabinets- We went with a good midpriced brand and chose the least expensive door and a standard no-upcharge finish. We also chose to put Blumotion on the select drawers that needed it most rather than all drawers.

*Sinks- Went with Ticor SS sinks instead of the Rohl apron front I dreamed about, or the pricy big-name SS sinks. (The Ticor sinks are such good quality that I'm hesitant to really classify this as a scrimp...but the low price was definitely scrimp-worthy!)

*Backsplash- Got a $7/sqft closeout tile instead of the $30/sqft ming green marble with Tantrum accents that was tempting

*Flooring- Kids are in the future so we chose inexpensive laminate that we plan to switch out for hardwood in 10 yrs or so

*Kept our old fridge- It was only a few years old and working perfectly, so we couldn't justify replacing it.

*Hardware- Yup that's $1.29 pulls on all our cabinetry. They look great and have standard 3" holes so if we ever want to switch them out we'll be able to.

Splurge:

*Choosing to do the bumpout addition so that we'd have the large kitchen with the awesome layout that we got

*Granite- I know for many granite prices have become much more affordable, but for us, it was definitely a splurge. We chose an average priced stone and our granite bill was still ginormous.

*Appliances- all really nice appliances well suited to our cooking and cleaning styles, including a beverage center which is by anyone's standards a splurge.

*Faucets- Those pull down faucets sure are pricy, but so nice to use.

Comments (77)

• cburch
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

This is great. I've enjoyed the read ......

We aren't finished yet, but most is paid for, with expection of backsplash & hardwood floors.

Skimps:
    *(not really a skimp-but still saved money) using existing cabinets and floor plan.
    * moderate priced appliances. Nothing too fancy - but affordable.
    * pulling all our favors of being good friends and neighbors. Was able to get paint & tile at contractor prices through friends who own businesses. Our tile man is next door neighbor and owes DH a favor.

Splurges:
    * granite (original plan was for formica)
    * pull out faucet, which I love, love, love
    * counter depth frig with ice & water in door to make the flow in kitchen nicer
    * floor tile, which I also consider a skimp... higher priced, got good contractor price for it. But still almost too expensive considering ....
    * new couch & chair in living room

SIDE NOTE:
    *** DH and I have been married for 16 yrs and have never bought anything large and new ourselves, except cars and a lawn mower. Our first "house" we rented and came furnished, including the washer/dryer. We did have a bedroom suite that we used and my parents got us a couch and love seat, but it was used and UGLY!
    2nd house we inherited from my grandparents which is the house we now live in. Everything was paid for in cash when my grandparents built the house, which means it was the lowest of the price band. The carpet needed to be replaced and the appliance, while still worked, wasn't exactly what we would have gotten. So, we saved some and borrowed some and are buying all new stuff, including hardwood floors and things we would get if we were building. It's all a splurge for us! But we have tried to save money buy doing a lot ourselves where we could and trying to shop around.

Christy

• hammerl
    16 years ago

We're not done, but here's the plan:
    scrimp:
    + kept original footprint
    + didn't demo soffit, there were pipes in it
    + black stove, dishwasher instead of stainless
    + kept fridge
    + kept floor (3/4" hardwood, probably maple, installed 20+ years ago by former owners)
    + stock hardware
    + didn't demo former laundry closet, bought stock shelving instead and kept behind doors
    + nice but not ridiculously expensive faucet
    + cabinet hanging by individual who used to own a co. and now works as an on-site problem correction person for a large cabinet company locally
    + update track lighting instead of installing new recessed
    + served as my own KD and GC

splurge:
    - granite counters, albeit lower price granite
    - granite backsplash since the area is so small and husband hates tile
    - undermount sink
    - ply cabinets (too many water issues in the last three years to even think mdf)
    - pullouts in pantry
    - wood (no veneer) doors on cabinets
    - fix the mickey mouse electrical in the kitchen before we have a fire

That's the plan, anyway. Now I just need to commit to a cabinet in order to begin execution.

• lynninnewmexico
    16 years ago

This is such a great thread because it gives us all a chance to see what trade-offs others have made . . . and if they regret anything. Our cabs are being installed as I write this, so I haven't had the chance to actually "live" with my kitchen as yet. This will hopefully be the home we retire with and we've put a lot of thought into a layout, appliances and cabs that (we hope) will stand the test of time.

Skimps:
    -We've been planning this kitchen reno for many years now, doing research on everything and saving our money so we wouldn't have to finance this (the biggest savings of all!)
    - no antique glazing or special finishes on our Brookhaven cabs.
    - no expensive trim or mouldings on cabs
    - KA French door fridge instead of Sub-Zero
    - no added sf, as we'd hoped
    - no warming drawer
    - no new windows at this time
    - went with one of the cabinet hardware selections that were offered free with our cabs (we do like them, though)
    - I did MUCH online research to find the best prices for our appliances, light, sink, faucets, etc. and got pretty darn good deals, I think.
    - no wine cooler (DH hates this one as I'm always forgetting to chill the white wines!)

Splurges:
    - single-hole Vinnata pull-down faucet
    - Hudson Valley Randolph pendant light for over sink.
    - Silgranit double, undermount sink
    - Silestone counters
    -Blumotion on everything. Our kitchen opens into our family room; We have brick floors and adobe walls throughout this house, which makes for a LOT of sound bouncing around!
    - cabinet fronts for fridge and dishwasher
    - KA's top of the line dishwasher
    - Sharp MW oven drawer
    - paid to have the gas and water lines moved (with brick floors and thick adobe walls, this was a huge splurge!) but we were very tired of having the main view from the family room be of a refrigerator. Now, we'll have a beautiful, Old World hood and gas cooktop to look at instead.
    - went with a small, local cabinet company, KD and privately hired (great) GC, instead of buying our cabs at a big box store and using theirs. We'd actually had plans drawn up with one BB-place, but got spooked by complaints about some not-so-good subs and installers they were using. We liked that our KD was going to be with us every step of the way. He's actually here today as they install and was here yesterday checking off and inspecting every piece as it was delivered. This was somewhat more expensive, but has been a HUGE peace-of-mind for us, as DH works extremely long hours and has zero time left for any DIY.

• amck2
    16 years ago

Budgeting was important in our build because although it will be our retirement home in approx. 10 years, we still have to maintain our current home for a time for job commuting.

We tried to go with spending now on the "bones" of the house figuring we can upgrade on furnishings and some appliances later.

But for now...

Splurge -

Carlisle wide plank pine floors (love them!)

My top-notch soapstone guy who did the
    Countertops,sink, bi-level island, backsplash & the hearth for the parlor stove (open to the kitchen)...he also did a vanity for the laundry room lav.
    My soapstone is my favorite thing in the whole house and, to me, worth the splurge.

Lighting fixtures from Rejuvenation Hardware

Upgrade to have my island finished in a custom blue stain.

Walk-in pantry with custom shelving

Bank of windows (level to the countertop)on sink side.

Holland bar stools (pricey, but comfy and likely to last)

Scrimps -

No instant hot water
    No tapmaster
    Dual fuel slide-in instead of pro range
    No plugmold
    No custom cabinets w/ inset drawers

I don't feel I gave up what I most wanted and, the kitchen got the lion's share of the budget. I'm really happy with it.

• sjerin
    16 years ago

adunate-- can you tell us about your fridge paint job? Wowee! I.e., how did you get it to the body shop, how much did it cost (if you don't mind saying,) and how easy/difficult it is to keep clean. If you don't answer, I'm gonna start a new thread-- what a great idea!

• agnesackneback
    16 years ago

This is our first home and we remodled the whole thing (bought my grandma's house that was not kept up after my grandfather died). Not done yet, but hopefully soon we'll be done enough to move in.

I'm gunna try and contain this to the kitchen and nowhere else in the house since this is the Kitchen Forum. Hehe.

Splurge:
    *Sliding glass door added
    *DCS 30" AG range (least expensive out of my top 3 choices)
    *All new - and then some - plumbing and electrical (soon to be father-in-law is an electrician)
    *Switched location of sink with range
    *Moved washer and dryer location from kitchen to bedroom that will now be an office/laundry room
    *Moved wall seperating kitchen and bathrooms to create 2 good enough sized bathrooms instead of 1 and a half small baths
    *Glass tile backsplash

Skrimp:
    *Instock cabinets at Lowes that we're installing ourselves
    *Installing tile flooring ourselves
    *Buying KA fridge and dishwasher on clearance
    *Buying matching KA hood online (not the best experience, shoulda just bought it closer to home instead of saving a few hundred dollars)
    *Stainless Steel countertops - buying from metal fabricator and installing ourselves if labor becomes and issue.
    *Kitchen table instead of cool-a** built-in restaurant-like booth

Still have plenty of stuff to buy, but I hope there won't be anymore splurges. Knowing me and my DF, there will.

• sjerin
    16 years ago

bump for adunate

• jimvr4
    16 years ago

We're mostly done now. I have to say the whole reason for our remodel was kind of a splurge. We remodeled to raise the cabinets and counters 1.5 inches so we could get the dishwasher in and out over our wood flooring. Then it snowballed into let's get the white cabinets DW always wanted and lets get the granite and new appliances, etc, etc....We have a long list of splurges but also several scrimps.

Scrimps
    - Keeping the layout basically the same
    - Reusing the natural oak hardwood floor
    - Reusing the KA dishwasher (and replacing the motor/pump myself)
    - Reusing the disposal (only 1 year old)
    - Reusing the main faucet (only 2-3 years old)
    - Moving the OTR microwave to another wall (it didn't fit and had to be sold but that's another story!)
    - Used relatively cheap GC

Splurges
    - Mid to high end cabinets with soft close on *every* drawer, turned legs, upgraded solid doors, end panels, painted and glazed finish
    - Drop in gas cooktop with griddle, Double 30 inch convection ovens, custom hood insert, beverage center
    - Custom Island with turned legs, display shelf and end panels
    - Cut and refinish a channel in the wood floor to get electrical to the island
    - Fabricate a custom liner for the arched hood
    - Enlarge the ducting to 8 inch for the hood
    - demo the old light soffit and relocate water, gas, electrical, and one HVAC duct
    - Granite slabs (needed three but have about 65 SF left over)
    - Granite fabrication (only found 1 shop to do a double cove edge)
    - Walker Zanger backsplash
    - CX Design pendants
    - Remodel the bar area as well with new stained cabinets, glass fronts and bev center

It took us about a year to get comfortable with the amount we would have to spend on the project but we ended up running about 25% over budget. We kept rationalizing that we're only doing this once so let's do it the way we want.

• gnomelover
    16 years ago

I think we are mostly scrimp, but:

scrimp:

reused refrigerator and dishwasher
    got deals on other appliances
    ebay knobs
    ebay faucet
    did not change the floor
    husband installed tiled backsplash himself

splurge:

cherry cabinets
    quartz counters
    copper sink
    blumotion on drawers and doors
    maple wood drawers (I know this is standard for most people, but we used to have those cheapy white ones)
    tearing out the nitch in the living room, to put in cabinets that matched the kitchen

• igloochic
    16 years ago

"It took us about a year to get comfortable with the amount we would have to spend on the project but we ended up running about 25% over budget. We kept rationalizing that we're only doing this once so let's do it the way we want. "

Ya I used that rationalization as well...and I'm still not comfortable with the budget (it's an entire home remodel and we're about $210,000 over where we had originally planned to be) And "we'll only do this once" kept coming up....now I have house number two LOL and must do this all again! (That is if I ever finish house number one!) I will NEVER tell myself I'm only doing this once so go for it!!!!

• jimvr4
    16 years ago

"I will NEVER tell myself I'm only doing this once so go for it!!!!"

Yes, it's amazing what we will say and do when things are ALMOST done yet there's another $$$ to add or fix the last detail!!! For us the pain level for the last bit of perfection is getting pretty high too. LOL!

• brosamj
    16 years ago

Splurge--Wood Floors: We bought a beautiful Asian Walnut that is fabulous but much more expensive than other wood floors we were initially interested in.
    Scrimp--Installation of wood floors: I had a friend that helped me put the floors in. He made good money off of it but in the end, it cost me about $1 a square foot to install, instead of the $3 that others would have charged me.

Splurge--Cabinets: A great small company did our cabinets. Though not as expensive as many of you have done to get truly customized, we did get some customization and it cost us much more than just the standard cabinets from a big box store.

Splurge--Countertops: We went with the cambrian black antique. Not cheap but should turn out well.

Scrimp--Appliances. Though we did spend just a bit over $5,000 which is not truly scrimping, it could have been a lot worse if I went to the highest end with Wolf, Miele, etc. We got some very good appliances, but did not break my bank.

Splurge and Scrimp: Walls and Open floor plan. We took down all the walls and have a huge open floor plan...but we scrimped as I helped my contractor do the work and helped get up the drywall, etc. Total, to take down 4 walls, put up structure support beams in the ceiling, put up drywall on the entire ceiling and all the walls and tear up all the old floors, we spent under $10K on our guy--a definate splurge on doing work that we didn't have to do, but pretty cheap for all the work that we did.

Scrimp--Did not get a new patio door that leads out from the dining room to our backyard. I want one and we will get one, but for now, we didn't get and we are stuck with the old door.

Moderate--faucets and pulls for cabinets. Nothing extravagant but not real cheap either. A kind of in between.

• kitchenkelly
    16 years ago

On my last house it was scrimp, scrimp, scrimp and DIY. This time it was mostly splurge. Even though it was nice to splurge, I really felt great about my scrimp kitchen. Doing alot of the work myself gave me more satisfaction and making smart decisions is always a good thing.

Next time (that will be in another life time) I think I will try to find a middle ground.

• rileydog
    16 years ago

Fun thread! Hmmmmmmmm
    Scrimp:
    ~kept footprint and tile floor
    ~DIY removal of half of a wall to open to the living room
    ~passed on a really cool hood above cooktop and wish I hadn't
    ~oven/micro combo instead of a double oven
    ~a deal on my huge ticor 1 3/4 sink
    ~cabinet hardware that I also love was a 10 pack at HD for $20

Splurge:
    ~48" built-in fridge w/water and ice dispenser
    ~all ss appliances
    ~5 burner gas cooktop
    ~Love my blanco rados faucet!
    ~potfiller, too~
    ~changed layout which added cabinetry and countertops
    ~48" cabinets (and the step stool to reach everything)
    ~ivory coast granite which I love because it is beautiful and uncommon

In all honesty, this whole project has been a splurge for me.

• cat_mom
    16 years ago

The biggest scrimp for us was working within the existing house space for the demo/reno and NOT adding on to the house to make the kitchen and DR larger. Adding on was one of the ideas we had toyed with, but it would have taken just about all the $ we had for this project (to do the construction), and we'd have been left with an empty shell, or at best, using the cheapest cabinets and appliances to outfit our kitchen. I suggested to DH that if we could come up with a way to maximize the existing space (e.g., changing the window to allow for cabs along that wall, and moving the range over a little, etc.), I'd rather skip the addition, and get the best things that we could afford. The parts were more important than the larger space.

So, I guess the splurge is just about everything else in the kitchen in a way. Certain things were rejected so early on in the "look-see" process (because of cost or other reasons), that I don't know if the actual items we chose instead would be considered scrimps, splurges or other.

The only thing we didn't get that we'd always wanted was a big, big, big kitchen, but we still got an awesome one so that's okay by us!

• rmlanza
    16 years ago

Okay, my turn. Mostly scrimp but the fact that we remodeled was a splurge in and of itself. Our old kitchen was only 5 years old but had cheap builder's grade white thermofoil cabinets and very little floor space. The reason for the remodel was water damage to our hardwood floors from a leak in our refrigerator's water line. We had wanted to change the footprint of our super tiny kitchen from day one and rather than just replace the floor and then have to tear it out again later for a remodel, we moved up the remodel and did it now.

Scrimp:
    * DIY demolition of old kitchen
    * DH DIY'd all lighting, electrical, and plumbing. I DIY'd backsplash, painting and staining of some trim.
    * Whirlpool SS appliances. New appliances were not originally in the budget (so this feels a bit like a splurge) because old appliances were only 5 years old and DH is cheap, but I saved us some money here and there on things like matching beadboard from the cabinet company (stained some ourselves), shopping around for our sink and faucet, and because Lowe's and Whirlpool were giving rebates at the same time.
    * Cabinets...Shenanadoah Winchester maple with coffee glaze from Lowe's.
    * knobs and pulls from e-bay
    * re-used lighting from old kitchen as it matches the rest of the house, which we replaced from cheap ugly brass fixtures about 3 years ago.
    * saddle bar stools from Linens n' Things.
    * accessories (art, towel pig, dish towels, microfiber, oven mitts, decorative plates and metal planters, new silverware, new rugs, new chair for family room, etc.) all purchased on clearance or from discount stores.

Splurge:
    * changing the footprint of our old kitchen to open it up.
    * replacing hardwood with slate tile (price per square foot is cheaper but labor to install tile made it twice the price of hardwood)
    * granite, although Corian and quartz weren't much different in price they both came with free sinks at the time and I did NOT want laminate countertops again.
    * Mockett pop up outlet in my island instead of regular outlet on the side. It's perfect for my laptop and I love it for vacuuming too!
    * little extras from the cabinet company like the pull out shelves, spice drawers, sink tilt out, half round bookcase on peninsula, and appliance garage...those all may sound like every day stuff to most people but for us they were splurges.
    * oil rubbed bronze faucet finish (much pricier than chrome or stainless!).
    * new copper vessel sink, copper faucet, maple vanity and maple mirror cabinet for powder room instead of just replacing the floor (fridge leak ruined hardwood in there, too).

Like many others, this is all really a splurge for us. I am a stay at home mom, DH is a software developer and makes good money but still we are a one income family. That fridge leak was a blessing in disguise though as with our old kitchen you couldn't have more than two people (or one person and a 100 lb goldendoodle) in the kitchen at one time.

• rmkitchen
    16 years ago

I want to thank everyone for their fascinating input and honesty re: prioritizing and their budget(s). It is truly refreshing and validating, if that makes sense.

Robin -- I am you! Well, a SAHM with an engineer spouse and feeling like getting to do a kitchen is a splurge in itself.

It's now looking as if the kitchen portion of our remodel (this year is the main level, maybe next year or the year after will be the upstairs) will start the week of Christmas -- no joke. Our cabinetmaker told our GC they should dismantle the kitchen that week so the following week (the New Year) they can start installation. Ha ha ha ha ha. My only mandate is that the whole house must be absolutely finished by January 31st as we're adopting a puppy in February, and I don't want the house in a tip with a new little furry life. (The puppy will actually arrive around Valentine's Day, that's why I gave the January cut-off, to allow an extra fortnight of wiggle room.)

Even though we can technically afford this, I am growing more and more conflicted, more and more ambivalent about it all. It is almost hurting me to spend the money; it feels both obscene in light of others living conditions (here in N. America and abroad) as well as scary to take such a sizable chunk of our savings. "How long will it take us to recoup?" I find myself wondering with more and more frequency.

Has anyone else felt that way? All our appliances / fixtures are purchased, and while they are all "splurges" they are "skimps" a la meme fois. Like igloochic, I fastidiously researched every single thing and got the best prices available, even if that meant purchasing way in advance to take advantage of a sale or special offer. And like cat_mom, our biggest "skimp" is that we're not building an extension, so with what we're making do we're really making do, full steam ahead!

We hate our kitchen at present: its layout is crap, unfunctional, and yes, aesthetically displeasing. I'm really excited about having a kitchen which functions for us (a two-cook family) and is pretty to boot. But thinking of all this money going out hurts.

I guess we could start from scratch. Again. (many of you were so kind to me earlier this summer when we had a major kerfuffle with our [former] KD) We could use cheaper cabinets, and a cheaper countertop. But when I've broached the cabinetry thought both internally with myself as well as externally with my husband, we both come back with: in for a penny, in for a pound. Why spend any money if we're not going to get what we want? Then let's just live with this kitchen we hate rather than spend any money on a kitchen which causes us to think "well, this is our so-so space. Blah."

Thanks for letting me vent. Since we're still newish here in Colorado I don't have anyone local with whom to share my trepidation(s) without fear of sounding totally bourgeois. Of my dearest girlfriends, three live in other countries so are in different mindsets about what a living environment entails, and the one who lives here in the US is dealing with a child recently diagnosed as being on the spectrum, so my fears would sound terribly trite and petty at this time. I know you all have lots of stuff going on in your lives, too, but we're all here in this forum because of kitchens, so I feel safe.

Thank you.

• raehelen
    16 years ago

Rmkitchen-

Just so you know- another SAHM (well, I am, even if both have left home- one is still in University) with an engineer hubby.

If I may make an assumption- as SAHM's our job for many many years is to make that one income go as far as possible while raising the kids- and spending on ourselves seems hard to justify. That may be why you're having such a hard time. As long as it's not going to cause financial hardship and make the family suffer cuz there's no money- I would say- try and enjoy the process- I'm sure you will continue to make money-saving choices, but don't get consumed with guilt if you do splurge once in a while!

Rileydog-

Splurge:

~Love my blanco rados faucet!

That's the kind I have to (still in box). So, I'm going to be happy with it? Like an idiot, I phoned the store (HD) when I was checking it before granite fabricator came. "Pullout doesn't stay in"- in panicked voice. Before I took it back, engineer Hubby figured out it had weights to keep spray head in place. 'Crisis averted'!!!

• robinkateb
    16 years ago

Count me in as a SAHM with a computer geek husband. Like the rest of you that is my biggest splurge, then we have to figure out how to live on one income. Raehelen, you hit the nail on the head about having trouble spending on ourselves. My children have way better wardrobes then me.

We moved about a year ago to a house with a tiny really bad kitchen (no counters on the wall the stove was on, electric stove...). So most of what i have done currently is a scrimp that will get us through to a remodel. We used Amex points to get el cheapo Mills Pride cabinets for the stove wall. Now I have a place for my pots in one cabinet and my kitchen aid in the other. Please more counter space then this kitchen ever had. however we splurged, for us anyway, on a Capitol range. We had started with a used gas range that from a recycled goods place and their were several issues with it. When we do renovate the kitchen the range can move to the new space.

-Robin

• dianalo
    16 years ago

Hey all,
    I have really been working on the whole skimp/splurge issue as we have gotten new (hopefully, realistic, quotes). We are doing a semi large scale remodel/extension on the house we bought a year ago. Now that the numbers are in and are higher than we were led to believe, we have to rethink what is needed vs. what is not necessary. Like noted above, we have to make it worth doing without breaking the bank. There are some things that can wait but others that are tied into the project and would be not cost effective to delay on. To do the work, we have to cut wherever possible, which is hard because I thought I had already been cutting costs as much as I could, and the few things I didn't, we already own without being able to return. Our total will end up over $100k, but hopefully, not by much.

Our splurges will be:
    the backsplash tiles (delay list, but done eventually)
    the glass arch of cabs (delay list, ditto)
    humidity sensing vent fans for bathroom
    chandelier for dr with matching sconces
    reworking the roof and ceilings to have cathedral ceilings in living spaces

semi splurges: Not the cheapest, but not crazy
    linoleum for tv room floor (vs. carpet)
    custom granite counter for vanity
    medicine cab set
    skylight in master bathroom (those in den/kit are needed for town code for light and air)
    ceiling fans - mid-range priced
    kit faucet - mid range price
    Bosh dw - scratch & dent price, but more than cheap ones cost
    marble for kitchen counters

skimps:
    no front porch
    simplified border tile for kitchen floor instead of mosaic border
    fewer skylights overall
    no special linoleum pattern with extra labor costs as planned
    re-using windows for bedroom
    not replacing all interior doors to match (at this point)
    carpet in MBR instead of hardwood floor
    may not change footprint of master bath
    may not extend master bedroom if we can't afford it
    free kitchen sink (vintage, would have paid a bit for it, but didn't have to!)
    picked up our Chambers stove out of state, but saved a bundle
    using regular Andersens instead of Marvin Tilt n Turn windows
    using regular siding and roof rather than spend extra for the choices I'd rather have
    delaying adding a separate hot water heater
    no radiant heat under tiles, doing regular baseboards
    delaying new garage door

The biggest waste of money was for the architect's plans that have to be rewritten. We have spent thousands of dollars for plans that are too grand for our budget. At minimum, we have to just take off the front porch and lose some skylights. The worst case scenario is that we also have to give up extending the master bedroom (planned 4 foot extension to line up the back of the house straight across with the kitchen and den extension).
    Oh well.... time will tell....

• rileydog
    16 years ago

raehelen
    I sure hope you like your rados as much as I like mine. When I first pulled it from the box though, I couldn't believe its size. It looks perfect with my very big sink. I also got the soap dispenser (splurge) and have just those two things at my sink. I am trying to become a minimalist. I hate clutter so this has made me happy. I am glad that someone else found blanco. I have their potfiller, too, and love it as well.

• kpekitchen
    16 years ago

Splurge:
    Cherry cabinets (42" Natural) from cabinet maker in PA
    --Full extension drawers
    Brazilian cherry floors
    Granite countertop
    Glass blacksplash
    All SS appliances (but, they're GE Profile, so some may put it as a half-scrimp)
    Went with a GC instead of DIY

Scrimp:
    Cabinet hardware from IKEA
    Faucet & HW dispenser from E-bay (Re-used the HW tank from the previous owner's)
    Light Fixture from outlet store in Delaware
    No airswitch
    No hidden plugs
    No pullout shelves or pull out pantry

• kulagal
    16 years ago

Rileydog: I am also looking at the Blanco Rados faucet because I am also looking at the Siligranit super single bowl sink. Do you think this faucet will look right for this sink? Does it by chance swival at all and if so how much? Any splashing problems if your sink is deep? The Siligranit will be around 9" deep. Right now I can't run down to a HD or anywhere because I live overseas so I am relying on GW for opinions. We will get to the states during Christmas and New Years and then I will run around. Thanks so much for your input!

• raehelen
    16 years ago

Kulagal,

The Blanco Rados swivels 360 degrees.

Now I get to add another Scrimp-
    Went to HD to get a soap dispenser, and was prepared to buy the matching Blanco one- However there was a generic solid brass construction one that looks just like the picture for the Rados (would have had to special order) and it was DRUMROLL please... 1/10 the price the Rados would have been.
    I almost didn't want to buy it cuz it was so cheap (in price- looks just fine) The fellow at HD convinced me it would be just as good. If you knew me, you would know that it is 'completely out of character' for me to worry that something was too inexpensive!

Figure if it doesn't work out, can always order the Blanco one later-

Rileydog- do you happen to know what size hole was needed for the soap dispenser? And yes, boy this faucet is big! I am also pretty giddy about reducing the clutter from the sink area.

• kailleanm
    16 years ago

Our ongoing kitchen project is both a scrimp and a splurge.
    This, if not our forever house, is at least our "for a really long time" house. So we want something both beautiful and functional. But we're also committed to doing it without borrowing.

It's in a 1947 bungalow we bought a year ago. It had a reasonably functional, but dated, 1970's kitchen. We wanted to add a dishwasher, give it a facelift, widen the opening between the DR and kitchen, and find a new location for the cooking area.

I've added rough costs (CDN$) because I always find it helpful in posts. Apologies to those of you who will find this declasse :-).

Our SCRIMPS:

No changes to footprint - leaving us with 9'7 x 8'7
    85% DIY
    IKEA cabinets and pulls(a scrimp I can EASILY live with)- $3K
    reclaimed fir floors ($200 - again, too beautiful to really feel like a scrimp)
    DIY concrete counters (concrete costs are all in the labour)- $350
    16 Guage stainless Julien-copy sink off EBAY for $375 (no available fancy accessories, however)
    Scratch and dental model JennAir french door CD fridge (saved $1K, dent covered by cabinet panel, full warranty)

OUR SPLURGES:

2 new wood custom windows (including 5x4 counter height garden window)- $2500
    Fisher & Paykel single wall oven $2500
    30" Windcrest induction cooktop $2200
    JennAir DW - $900
    Faucet - not purchased yet, but I'm always a sucker for a gorgeous faucet $400?

In addition to these costs, we've spent roughly $1200 on electrician's costs to add some additional plugs, wire the cooktop, fan, etc, etc. Drywall/paint materials - $500. Wood shelving/brackets $300.

Rough total: just over $17K (not incl backsplash tiles, which will be a future project). We'll probably come in around $20K when all is said and done.

• rileydog
    16 years ago

Kulagal~ I don't have any problems with splashing in my sink with my rados faucet. It does indeed swivel up a storm if desired. I have the stainless steel and I think that would go well with your silgranite sink.

raehelen~ I don't know what size hole was cut in the granite. I just handed the box to the installers and they cut away. I got a great price on the blanco faucets and soap dispenser from a friend in the business. It is a crazy price as were the grids for the sink I almost bought. That's why the ticor w/grids for around 250 was a great deal.

• pamjd
    16 years ago

We aren't quite finished, but here is the scrimp/splurge list:
    Skimp:
    DIY electrical: added/moved recessed halo lighting, added mini halogens over island, added/moved 220 for induction cooktop, covection microwave, wall oven, dryer
    DIY demolition
    DIY added walk-in pantry and dedicated laundry room, including design/build of pantry fittings[decreased size of kitchen- it was too big to be functional- still huge area]
    DIY plumbing changes/install
    [the DIY not really a skimp- kind of fun]
    Kept Stainless Bosche d/w
    DIY customization and install of Ikea cabinets [not really a skimp]
    DIY paintiing of cabinets and walls
    DIY crown molding
    Kept heart pine floors
    Ikea wall sconces
    Lowes track lighting over sink wall
    White Americast sink [not really a scrimp- I had one for 10 years and I loved it- quiet, easy to keep clean, great value]

SPLURGE:
    Paid extra for costa esmerelda slabs large enough to have no seams
    Had professional intall of counters
    Professional floor refinishing
    Thermador 30" induction cook top and downdraft vent
    Pantry large enough for the freezer
    Rohl single handle faucet and soap dispenser
    Replaced garbage disposal with batch feed
    KA convection m/w and wall oven
    Xenon undercabinert lighting
    Mackintosh Hill House solid brass replica door "jewelry"

Mistake scrimp/splurge:
    All fridge/all freezer pair from Electrolux [would not do again- it is just Frigidaire with a stick-on "Icon" plate, which was crooked and removed by me] After 5 months, still waiting for the trim kit.]Also, my DH tore out the fridge/wall oven wall on his birthday, while I was out of the house gathering food, etc. for the surprise birthday party I was throwing for him taht night at our house. Hmm, who was surprised?

• pwd626
    16 years ago

To Jenellcal, Did you have any trouble installing blumotion on your drawers? We are going to install them on 27 in. top drawers. Happy Thanksgiving! LM

• diymadness
    16 years ago

I was working on a budget (refused to go into debt) and doing most of the work myself -- so my whole kitchen reno involved a lot of scrimping. Also, I'm still working on it, bit by bit, which allows me to afford things that I couldn't have afforded all at once. But some things were still splurges for me.

Scrimp:

Ikea cabinets (but in Tidaholm, one of their more expensive styles)
    Ikea sink
    Kept white fridge (still pretty new)
    New vinyl windows (would have preferred wood)
    MDF trim (again, prefer wood)
    Slate floor tile on sale at HD
    Laminate counters

Splurges:

Nice bevel-edge on laminate counters
    Stainless steel stove and dishwasher
    Pull-out faucet (love it)
    All new wiring (necessary, but expensive)
    Cool, chimney-style range hood
    Copper handware from Lee Valley

• jakkom
    16 years ago

Here's some perspective on this issue: we did a whole house remodel in 1989/90, so I redesigned the U-shaped kitchen myself. Yes, went through the whole "bleeding money" thing - painful! Thus, we skimped on some things simply because There Was No Money Left. These items would be redone in a 2003 remodeling.

Splurge:
    1) Going with semi-custom Kraftmaid frameless instead of basic American Woodmark framed. AW cabs would have cost our partner $3K (1989 prices, remember?). Instead the KM cost $7K, more than twice what he was estimating.

Worth it? Oh yes, definitely. The cabs clean like a dream, I can put dishes away sopping wet without harm, and I have two full-height pantries with pullout drawers, two fabulous Lazy Susan base cabs, an EZ-reach upper corner, and a base spice pullout. Full extension drawers, full-opening hinges, and finished sides/bottoms were STANDARD in those days! I love these cabs. Occasionally I go to Expo and check out the kitchen displays. There is nothing out there that feels or looks any more solid than my KM frameless (a line called Euro6 which they dropped in 1997). If I could take them with me when I leave, I'd do it in a heartbeat! I am rough and tough on my kitchen, but they look and perform as well now as in the beginning.

Did I mention I love my cabs? ;))

2) Splurged on an entire back wall of picture windows and a cathedral ceiling to top off a revised layout of the main living area. This changed a drab little cottage with the usual chopped-up rooms, into a stunning contemporary open plan where the LR, DR, and kitchen blend into one another. When you enter the house, you look straight through the LR into the kitchen and a fabulous hillside view. Worth every penny, and then some. My previous kitchen was a "black hole." What a change to not have to turn on the lights from an hour before sunrise to an hour after sunset!

3) Lots of lights for when it does get dark. Halogens were unheard of in 1989 and fluorescents were green and buzzy. Lighting consultants didn't exist, at least for low-budget kitchens like ours. I bought five recessed lights with eyeball trim for the whopping price of $6 each, a bargain even in 1989. I added a simple hanging globe pendant on a separate switch, over my next splurge listed below. If you add the two halogen range hood lights, I have 575 watts in a 13x14' kitchen - bright enough even for us aging four-eyed folks. No dimmers, I just use the hanging light if I want a gentler "light the way" mood.

4) A movable island cart. They aren't cheap now and they weren't cheap in 1989, either. In a modest kitchen, there really isn't room for the usual center island. It's only 5 steps from the furthest points - sink to refrig. BUT, even 5 steps with something really heavy - a full 7-qt Lodge cast iron stewpot, for instance - can be a pain, literally. And everyone needs as much counterspace as possible, right?

So I splurged on an expandable, movable cart. It's 18" x 30" closed, holds a ton of stuff, and the top flips out to a full 5' of additional countertop. This gives us 30' of countertop in a modest-sized kitchen - not too bad for a room where 4' of one end of it is an open aisle to the back stairs.

Scrimped on:
    1) Appliances. This is a starter home neighborhood, where most of the cottages don't even have disposals or DWs. Putting in a Wolf range or SubZero refrig is like dressing up a pig in pearls and sequins. You can have a lot of fun with it, but nobody's going to pay you for the privilege. It's a Kenmore neighborhood - but surprisingly, those are pretty darn good appliances for the money.

I do, however, wish I'd known to plan for bigger or different-sized appliances. Trying to cram in as much storage as possible, I used no filler strips. So I'm limited to replacement appliances that fit in a certain sized space. I can't put in a pro-style stove, for example, because I have exactly - not a millimeter more - 29-7/8" for a stove. To put in a 30" stove I would need to rearrange 4 cabs and have one custom-made to match the existing - won't happen!

2) Flooring - installed a sheet vinyl remnant from HDepot. Easily replaced in 2003 with Metroflor solid vinyl tiles in a gorgeous slate-look.

3) Counters - I designed a total of 25', much more than I'd ever had before! But when the money ran out, pre-formed laminate in-stock counters from HDepot were installed instead of something fancier. Both my DH and I loathe tile, so it was never an option. The laminate was fine for many years. Really, it's space and layout that count the most, not materials per se.

In 2003 we upgraded the countertops to Swanstone. At that point we also switched out the sink and faucet, going from a durable but irritating Kohler Executive Chef double sink (our big pots couldn't fit) to an easier-to-clean, what-we-wanted Swanstone single sink.

BTW, I think it's worth spending $$ on a good sink. They really do take a lot of abuse. That Kohler looked as good when it was pried out as the day it first went in. We gave it to a friend for a rental apartment, in fact.

No matter where you splurge or where you scrimp, the essence of a good kitchen remodel is one that produces a kitchen which is more efficient and more of a pleasure to cook in.

We are at the stage where anything I spend on the kitchen is now a splurge. There is nothing that will make it work better, just fancier stuff that would be "dressing it up."

And even after all these years, I still love being in my kitchen! It was the best thing we ever did, and even with the mistakes I made, worth all the money and angst.

• kim2007
    16 years ago

I'm not sure if I can really say we've consciously thought in terms of scrimping and splurging...the house is 110+ years old and our intent of staying true to the age and style of the house precludes much of what would probably fall under the category of splurging. We're keeping the original kitchen cabinets and we'll just prep them, paint them but switch to some vintage brass and ceramic knobs we found at the ReStore (36 knobs for $20!). The flooring under the grungy old vinyl is pine which we'll keep and refinish if needed. As old house owners much of what we're doing is revealing the original features and finishes that need rejuvenation rather than replacing. Patterned backsplash tiles I found again at ReStore and I really love them so I don't think of their ReStore price tag as a scrimp. I suppose the new, coordinating, solid color Saltillo backsplash tiles were the splurge. The light fixtures are not pricey but are consistent with an old house kitchen so I don't really see them as a scrimp. The kitchen had 2 bare bulbs hanging from wires for light fixtures when we moved in, so anything is a splurge over that!

• jubileej
    16 years ago

So - what do you think? We are SO_O out of money - but HAVE to finish before we consider selling our rambling multi-level to the next generation.

If I put in a cheap OTR microhood, instead of a more attractive curved undercabinet vent - it will save big bucks on 1) initial price of unit, 2) not needing a tiled backsplash 3) and can just use the recirculating feature instead of installation work to connect to outside existing vent.

Then perhaps can afford to install a warming drawer where the gaping hole in my microwave cabinet (on other wall) is.

OR - should I leave it gaping and go for replacing the front bay window, which is currently being propped up with concrete blocks - negating all the rest of the to the studs renovation we have done in the house.

Blast this darned market downturn!

• jakkom
    16 years ago

jubileej, you might want to post your questions under their own discussion topic in the forum, so you don't hijaak the OP's thread.

• vwhippiechick
    16 years ago

What great reading. Surprising how differently we think things are a scrimp or splurge. We are in the middle of our remodel, here's my list. But first, special thanks to my hubby, who agreed to sell some of our toys ('65 Mustang Fastback) to underwrite the makeover. What a guy!

Scrimps
    Lots of DIY and recruiting friends who are plumbers and drywallers!
    Kept same footprint, would have loved to bump out for a little more room.
    Kept free standing butcher block island
    Travertine tile - wanted distressed hardwood
    Relatively inexpensive refrigerator (samsung french door)
    Keeping current MW - hiding it in a cabinet
    Inexpensive ss sink as opposed to the soapstone farmhouse style
    Sold our old cabinets on Ebay. Easy and fast cash.

Splurges:
    Custom cabinets with inset doors
    36" pro look dual fuel range - got a great deal from a local
    supplier
    Soapstone counters (I hope! Still researching this but I
    am determined to get them in our budget some way)
    Asko dishwasher - can't wait for this, current one sounds
    like a 747 is landing on the roof and the dishes are
    never clean.

Looking forward to finding out if these were all good choices. Cabinets due next week.

• mary52zn8tx
    16 years ago

Our project is one that grew. We have a 60's ranch style house that had knotty pine cabinets. I painted them around 10 years ago. Started out to just repaint cabinet doors, but after checking out this site decided to get new Shaker style doors, It has grown from there. The last door order is due this next week. I started in July, and I am ready to finally be through with the cabinets.

Scrimps
    Kept same footprint and cabinets
    DIY painting of bases and mounting new doors.
    DIY demo of old bar and changing out a couple of cabinets.
    DIY crown molding to match cabinets. There was shoe molding up there when we first bought the house.
    Kept oak floors
    Kept two year old white refrigerator and DW--
    an LG French-door model and a Whirlpool DW (had a bad experience with Bosch. Seal and timer went out after about 5 years, and the parts were discontinued, and this was an expensive DW)
    Kept a six year old GE Profile gas range (also white--DH likes white) One of the burners needs to be looked at, but it is still in great shape.
    Will keep the faucet. It is brushed nickel& moderately priced from HD. Delta, I think.
    Didn't order doors to go to the ceiling because it would have doubled the price of the doors for 4 extra inches of door. DH hates them, and I almost reordered, but he decided he could live with them. It does limit what will fit on the top shelf, and if I had it to do over, I would get the full sized doors.
    No disposal. I just never have used one. Most of it goes in the compost pile.
    Got a cabinet off the shelf at Lowes to do a small island. We are pushing it to have an island in our space, but love the extra counter space.

Neither a splurge nor a skimp
    Brushed nickel pulls from Lowes
    Hidden hinges that really made a difference in the look of the kitchen.
    A new sink yet to be decided. It will not be over a couple of hundred dollars, but anything is better than the UGLY brown sink I have now.
    A new pendant light for over the sink that I am getting from craig's list. Would be a splurge if I had to pay full price for it.
    The back splash will not be expensive whatever we decide on.
    A new window and door that will pay for themselves in energy savings.

Splurges
    Added a couple of pull out drawers and lots of nifty organizers from the Container Store.
    Granite. We did get a remnant for the island and will be using prefab for the counters, but we will finally be replacing the linoleum (yes they are linoleum) counters.
    This is a January project, but I can't wait.
    Advantium over the range oven.
    Will be getting insta-hot. Our kitchen is a long way from our water heater, and it will be so nice.

By reusing, doing most of the work ourselves, and buying in phases, we have been able to do this project without borrowing any money. The drawback is that we had a mess for longer than I would have liked. It is coming together though, and I like the kitchen for the first time in the 18 years we have lived here. I am amazed that I am talking about a new kitchen at all.

• polly929
    16 years ago

Our kitchen isn't finished but so far here's what we've done:
    Scrimp:
    Kenmore appliances instead of Viking/Subzero (maybe someday)
    Faucets (designerplumbingoutlet.com) used chrome finish instead of ORB or brushed nickel
    Cabinets Diamond from Lowes- DH Installed them
    Prefinished OakFloors DH installed them too
    No Instant Hot or Garbage Disposal
    Barstools from Target.com

Splurge:
    Shaw's 36 inch Fireclay Sink- My Favorite thing in the Kitchen
    Soapstone Counters and Soapstone Prep Sink
    Hiring Our only Contractor to install Lam Beam when Load Bearing wall was removed by DH (Cost just as Much as Counters!)

Still need :
    Knobs/Pulls will probably skimp
    Backsplash- will definitely splurge when the pocketbook is replenished
    Almost ALL the work was done by Hubby (except countertop install)- alone!- amazed he started demo June 26th- and had a functional Kitchen October 20th. He works full time in Manhattan also- can't thank him enough! Can't wait to post pics- waiting to be a little more finished though.

• woleile
    16 years ago

Oooh, what a fun topic! My kitchen isn't finished yet, and we didn't skimp much because this is the house we plan to die in, but here's my list:

Skimp:

saltillo tile floor (not really a skimp because it's beautiful, but it is cheap--$1/sq ft)

simple one-bowl cast-iron sink

skipped the sprayer, soap dispenser and pot filler

Thermador double ovens (would have been a splurge except we got a floor model)

top of the line KitchenAid dishwasher (would have been a splurge except ditto)

regular dryer instead of the one that "matches" the front-loading washer

not really a skimp b/c I like it better, but a 4' wide pantry "closet" in the kitchen with shelves and a pair of doors--*so* much cheaper than the equivalent amount of cabinets

wood countertops made on-site from tongue-and-groove wood flooring

Splurge:

separate scullery to keep mess and dishwasher noise out of sight and hearing

built-in hutch between dining rm and scullery with drawers that open both ways: i.e. in the scullery you open the drawers and load them with clean dishes and silver, and in the dining room you open the same drawers to set the table.

Thermador pro-style cooktop

French-door fridge

separate walk-in pantry

20 cu' upright freezer (*so* done with bending and rummaging in my old chest freezer!)

custom Arts and Crafts style light fixtures

custom all-wood true divided light windows

two days of a cabinetmaker's time to draw up my very non-standard designs, plus building same

LauraG

• fran1523
    16 years ago

My skimp was to keep the original cabinets and have new doors made for them. I'm also keeping my original black dishwasher because it's only about 3 years old.

I splurged on everything else...granite, hardwood floors, new window, new lighting, ss appliances, and $400 for a ss Broan hood. I didn't even ask the price of the granite...just saw what I wanted and said that's it. My splurges may not seem like much but keep in mind this is only a $300,000 house near Boston.

• Buehl
    16 years ago

This thread has been very enlightening about how other people think and what their priorities are....thanks for starting it Alku! Still helping us all!

When we came in way over budget, we talked long & hard about what to eliminate or postpone since we did not want to go into debt with this remodel (college for 2 kids is coming up in a few years!). We decided to "scrimp" on things that we could "add back" later w/o structural or other costly changes. Things like the backsplash and the decorative door panels on the ends of the cabinet runs & the back of the peninsula can be added later and, while not ideal, will still look fine for now.

The hardest thing for me was the change in door style (switched from Artesia...which I love! to Anson...similar but lacks the raised center panel.) Everything else I could probably live with permanently eliminating...but not the door! I have already told my DH that after we've paid for this remodel I want to begin saving again to replace the doors. I will hold off on the decorative door panels until I've replaced the other doors with my Artesia door! (Why pay for an Anson door end panel when I plan to replace them eventually?)

Scrimp:
    Less expensive door (but same drawer front)*
    No Miele oven as second oven (went w/GE Profile double Trivection + convection rather than single Trivection + single Miele)
    No mudroom added to garage*
    No organization closets in FR* (were planned b/c no mudroom)
    No instant hot water
    No Tapmaster*
    Ticor Sink--but I have high hopes for it based on everyone's comments!
    Reused main sink Faucet*
    No decorative (non-functional) doors on back of peninsula and end of cabinet runs*
    No separate Message Center*
    No tile backsplash (for now....and may DIY)*
    New carpeting in FR, LR, Den rather than install hardwood*
    KA DW rather than Miele
    No garbage disposal on prep sink*
    Stock cabinet in powder room
    Inexpensive cast iron sink in PR
    No soft-close on cabinet doors (standard on all drawers though!)
    Painting ourselves
    Finishing the inside of the pantry ourselves
    Stainless Steel hood instead of decorative wood hood
    No beaded inset cabinets (my first "want" along w/cherry wood way back when this all started!)--but don't really care now!

* Can be added/changed later as funds become available!

Splurge:
    Bay window raised to be able to put a cabinet run on the window wall
    Semi-custom Cherry wood w/coffee glaze cabinets
    Granite counter (Diamond Black) in kitchen and PR
    Remove most of wall b/w Kitchen & DR and added peninsula w/seating (requires rerouting of HVAC ductwork)
    Remove soffits (requires rerouting of some electrical and working around a small amount of plumbing...dictated the location & height of wall cabs!)
    Redesign of entire kitchen, added lots of counterspace & cabinets!
    Almost all drawers in base cabinets
    Plugmold on long cabinet run
    Baking Center Peninsula
    Hardwood floor in DR
    Corner Walk-in Pantry instead of row of pantry cabinets (debatable if this is a scrimp, splurge, or neither...but I wanted one!)

Neither Splurge or Scrimp:
    Tile floors in Kitchen, Foyer, PR
    Sharp MW drawer instead of Dacor DMT2420 in an oven cabinet (preferred the Dacor MW, more functionality, but no place to put it since we went w/a double wall oven) [Not really a scrimp since cost of MW drawer = cost of Dacor + Trim Kit, but not what I wanted]

Re: Mudroom. We've decided to do it DIY. We have a couple of friends who have some experience in this area so we hope to have them advise us and, if necessary, show us how to do things. We'll learn how to put up sheetrock (for exterior), hang cabinets & doors, and lay a tile floor. Sure, it'll take longer, but not only will it be less expensive, but we'll learn some valuable skills. Maybe we'll be able to DIY our upstairs remodel much less expensively and sooner than originally planned! [WeedyAcres has been an inspiration!]

Re: Organization Closets in FR. Now that we're DIYing the Mudroom, we've decided instead to put in a built-in desk and surround it w/cabinets for books, games, etc. This is actually turning out better than we had planned...sometimes it does help to have a limited budget...it forces you to think and make choices that often ultimately lead to a better design/plan!

+++++++++++++++

I should note here that we knew we were over budget (our KD kept reminding us!). However, in the end we decided to plan the "ideal" kitchen and then go from there. Even if we don't have everything we want right now, we have a plan for eventually getting most of what we want. And, since this is probably our "forever" house, we have time to do it!

• elizabeth96
    16 years ago

We're in the process of redoing our 1942 kitchen. After reading these posts, I realized that what seemed like splurges to me may in fact be considered skimps! But we're happy with how it's turning out so far. Our house is not a high end one in our area, so it wouldn't make sense to overdo it. I guess the main splurge for us is that we decided to renovate our whole home before moving in, and it's been 5 years so far...!

Here's what we've done:

**We completely rewired and replumbed the whole house. The contractor who did the rewiring is an old friend. He hasn't charged us anything yet, and despite our nagging him for a bill for 2 years, we don't know if he ever will.

**We installed HD Thomasville cabinets, which I guess are middle of the road. We had them painted, which was more expensive. Our kitchen is really small--there's only one pull-out cabinet! So no bells and whistles there.

Our walls are not plumb so the installer had to do a little magic to get them in. Because we ordered everything incl. the installation through HD, and they had some really good specials going on (ex, $750 gift card), we saved ourselves some dough.

**We were going to use Renovations for lighting, which is pretty expensive. But we found some really inexpensive and cool 40's lights that are just right for our home. We wanted to keep it to the period if we could.

**Refinishing the old fir floors is really popular in our area and a good selling point. You never know if they're going to turn out okay, but ours turned out great. It's one of the best features in our kitchen.

**We have yet to install countertops and appliances. Of course, we'd like to splurge and go with granite and stainless steel. But we painted the walls a light yellow shade that's hard to match, so we may have to repaint. Since we want to get moved in asap, we're going to put in butcher block from IKEA and a beadboard backsplash. We'll see if we can't buy some white appliances from someone switching their's out for stainless. Then we'll replace those things down the road.

**Oh, and one more "splurge" was to hire a designer, and then another one, and another one. We ended up going with mostly our own ideas, wouldn't you know. But I wouldn't say it was a total waste, because it helped us to hone our own style.

This was the first major kitchen remodel we've done, and we've learned a lot. I'm so glad to have this forum to go to for advice, it has really helped!

• glad
    16 years ago

after having gone thorugh all of the purchasing, i have another angle on scrimp vs. save. that is, when to go "retail" and when to bargain hunt. i was comfortable saving money on plumbing fixtures by doing an extensive internet search...and ordering with plenty of time for any problems. but i ended up going to a local tile shop where i know the prices are not the lowest availa ble (bill v.- if you're reading this, you will HATE how much I paid for my Adex beveled subway!!)but, they are around the corner from me, had lots of samples i could run home with, could get whatever i wanted in a couple of days, and were full of good advice in helping me pick both the floor and backsplash tiles. doing this on my own, i really appreciated them and feel i got my money's worth. in fact, the owner even talked me down on how much floor tile to buy - which only hurt her revenue - and she was right about the amount.

• footballmom
    16 years ago

Glad, We all need to know which city you are in!

• glad
    16 years ago

lol, footballmom. i am in fairfield county, ct -- aka nyc metro -- aka $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ :)

• mariel1951
    16 years ago

On January 2nd, I demolished (really did! Loved that hammer! And had a great time after an argument with my 22-yr old son! A gal has to find some stress-relief, right?!) all the cabinets and soffits, re-mudded the walls and ceiling (after installing some pieces of sheetrock where the soffits used to be) removed the old vinyl flooring and old glue, and now I am starring at blank walls for another few days. In my spare time (3-6 am, hey! I am a 58yr old woman who can't sleep!), I designed on paper my ultimate kitchen (of course on a small budget!) I found an incredible cabinet maker who is charging me about $4500 for great cherry cabinets with soft close doors and drawers (no extra cost), glass or wood doors (my choice), full extension drawers, all drawers in base cabinets as I asked. Total of 26 cabinets including 2 giant floor-to-ceiling special designed/built large pantries, crown molding and all my little special requirements (oh the price also includes install of cabinets and granite). See his website: http://www.gwkitchen.com/index11.html. The granite I chose for my 2 long (39 sq/ft) countertops is "absolute black" 3CM granite for $1400 (you can check out their granites on same website). I just cannot be happier! No fancy name brand but great quality just the same.

Scrimp:
    DIY design and planning instead of hiring a kitchen designer or contractor.
    Using a handyman to help me install backsplash and flooring
    I have a white 2-yr old french door fridge so I am going to buy the brushed stainless steel soft metal (http://cgi.ebay.com/Update-Appliances-to-Brushed-Stainless-Steel-softmetal_W0QQitemZ250103259621QQihZ015QQcategoryZ46124QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem)
    to refinish it in SS until I can afford to buy a new one!
    Not buying top of the line appliances. I am sticking with GE Profile for everything. I have American Home Shield and through their purchasing dept, I get extremely great savings on all american appliances. What an incredible saving there too! I chose double ovens with double self-clean and double convection, top of the line dishwasher, great microwave and best looking 36" glass cooktop (black & SS) that has a bridge and several other cool things.
    I chose granite tiles instead of 2CM granite sheets for backsplash ($400 including install).
    I am leaving my concrete floor as is until I can figure out what I want to do. Most likely go to Ged's carpet & tiles outlet or other builders' outlets and choose some really nice tiles at half (or more) the price of major stores. I will then purchase the tiles, get my handyman to help me install them (cheaper if I help) and that will be that.

Splurge:
    - Used electrician to wire for recessed lighting, wiring and tying together over-cabinet, under-cabinet and inside-cabinet lighting to ONE switch - dimmable. Also to move the wiring of some appliances to new locations and switching hard-wire to receptacle for new microwave and disposal. And a load of other little things. Total $745.
    - Used plumber to work on plumbing lines for new sink, moving the fridge water line to new area and wiring for deck-mount pot filler. $400.
    Buying 1HP Insinkerator Excel disposal instead of smaller (even though I don't one that powerful) because of their jam-sensor circuit & low low noise.
    Could not afford all SS appliances so mixed and matched with black and SS. Both will look great with black granite. And nowadays, everything gets mixed and looks great.

And most importantly? Researching and shopping on the internet with companies who offer free shipping and tax and reading every single blog on this website and getting incredible ideas from you guys to make my kitchen even better and elegant. Should be done within 2 weeks and will try to post before and after pictures.

• eme6890
    16 years ago

Has anyone seen the Thermodore mirrored silver finish? I can't find anywhere in Central Ohio to see it. I am going to have an induction, just trying to decide on which brand. This silver seems like a good choice with my stainless appliances. any thoughts?

• davewg
    16 years ago

Responding about the Thermador (but I think it needs to be a new thread).

I've seen it - it is very mirrored, but quite sharp looking. We decided on the Monogram silver sight unseen partly because of the price difference and partly because I think the Monogram is a better cooktop.

I wouldn't want the Thermador anywhere near natural sunlight as the surface is potentially very reflective.

• Buehl
    15 years ago

bump

• mls99
    15 years ago

Scrimped on IKEA cabinets (would have loved Italian modern cabinetry, sigh)

Splurged on appliances and complete change in layout, plumbing, and electrics

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

bump

• cupofkindness
    13 years ago

Great thread!