Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
magsnj_gw

kitchen reveal - completed staged kitchen - photo heavy

magsnj
9 years ago

First, I'd like to apologize if you had to click into this and you've seen it already. I posted it before it was finished or staged for pretty pics and while I was asking for backsplash advice. So here it is completed and staged (as for staging, it's pretty much how I live except I have a lot more storage than I have things for now, so I had to put in fillers......I don't normally have a toy truck in my pantry or keep dominoes sugar or Morton salt out in the open, but since I think the packaging is pretty, I put it out). I'm including a link to the original post which contains kitchen details. Thanks for indulging me!

View from backdoor:

View from pantry

Not crazy about Super Susan.... storage feels awkward:

I love my simplex teakettle... it whistles :)

Don't judge me for storing supermarket bags :). Good storage for cutting boards and cookie trays.

I use everything on the open shelves above the range often

The sink that started it all.... my workhorse that spares my marble counters:

Pantry

Dishwasher

Backdoor

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen Details

Comments (102)

• onedogedie
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Thank you for posting the final, final reveal. I'm on the blue cabinet kick, also. Though all that exists of my cabinets & kitchen is a painted piece of board, so I get pleasure galore in viewing your fabulous kitchen.

Curious what SW white you used for the walls?

Your kitchen isn't cute to me. It is serene exuberance, which is why I decided to go blue myself. Bring on the happy.

Shout out to Barry's Tea!

• magsnj
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi onedogedie! Barry's Tea is a staple, along with the Odlum's extra course wheat flour. Can't make proper Irish brown bread without it.

The white paint on the walls is Benjamin Moore simply white. I originally tried to use a more vanilla like color that I thought would look well, but ended up hating it. Instead of buying more paint I decide to see how I liked the paint I used on the ceiling in the entire house since I had it on hand(simply white) and it worked perfectly.

• magsnj
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Deleting duplicate post.... don't know why my messages keep appearing twice...

This post was edited by magsnj on Tue, Apr 8, 14 at 11:39

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

Hooray for COLOR! It's about time someone wasn't scared of using it!

• carsonheim
    9 years ago

• kksmama
    9 years ago

Gorgeous, love the color! Love the range and sink too - congratulations on creating such a charming, functional space!

• magsnj
    Original Author
    9 years ago

:) Thanks everyone!! You're all making me feel great!

Live_Wire_Oak, I felt EXACTLY the same way. I came close to playing it safe with white (which I'm sure could've been lovely), but I'm so happy I chose a color. It's a really big, scary commitment to make, but I'm positive I'm much happier than I would've been with white.

Carsonheim, that's great. LOL. Thank you!

kksmama, I should tell you, the range looks good, and I don't regret getting it b/c the fridge that matches it is INCREDIBLE, but the convection fan takes up too much room in the oven and the cast iron grates drive me bonkers.

This post was edited by magsnj on Tue, Apr 8, 14 at 22:16

• magsnj
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Deleted dup

This post was edited by magsnj on Tue, Apr 8, 14 at 22:17

• firstmmo
    9 years ago

The back wall is finally done!! Hooray!!! I have been wondering when we'd get to see this marvelous kitchen all done. Still love your pantry and that cabinet color--it's PERFECT for your kitchen. Love love love it!

• wilsonrobert1111
    9 years ago

So beautiful Pictures and this pictures showing all the details.Thanks so much for sharing your beautiful kitchen with us.

Thanks

Here is a link that might be useful: Woodwork, Deck Designs

• quiltgirl
    9 years ago

The kitchen is lovely! I have a sink like that in my laundry room and love it! Did you have the sink treated or was it originally in such good shape? It looks like you utilized the space well with storage etc.

• bicyclegirl1
    9 years ago

You nailed this, magsnj. Such a beautiful & soothing color. I'm sure you love working in it. Your BS turned out perfect. Enjoy! Thanks for sharing.

• magsnj
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all! Choosing a color was definitely the best decision I made.

quiltgirl, the sink is in the same condition it was in when I moved in. It's not perfect, but it's close, and I'd read so many horror stories about having it treated that I decided not to take the chance.

• KBSpider
    9 years ago

God, I really love this kitchen. I'm a sucker for blue! You did a great job!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Great job. SO nice to see something a little different. The tile to the ceiling gives a nice authenticity to the space, and makes a great backdrop for just about anything.

• iroll_gw
    9 years ago

Love, love, love your kitchen. I can't think of a thing I would have done differently. This style of vintage kitchen is my favorite; I did a sort of ode to the style (in a 1961 Cape Cod!)
    Great job keeping the charm and updating for far better function.

• truffula
    9 years ago

It's a really beautiful kitchen. Well done

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

So nice! That blue is fab!

• renov8r
    9 years ago

A warm inviting kitchen. It reminds me of the kitchens you read about in novels. I love your decision to go with the shelves over the range rather than a hood. I think you did a fantastic job, despite the few complaints you have. I'm sure when I finish my kitchen there will be a few things I wish were or weren't there. You sound relieved it is all done. Job well done. Now are you doing another part of your house? I would love to see all its quaint features.

• eviec1
    9 years ago

After lurking on the forum for days, I came across this post and had to register for two reasons. One, to tell you how absolutely stunning this kitchen is and two, BARRY'S TEA!! I just wrote a post on my blog about it a couple of days ago. I'd love to sit in your kitchen and share a pot with you! Beautiful!

• peegee
    9 years ago

So enjoyed viewing your gorgeous kitchen. It brings to my mind that not too many years ago I was attempting a new build, and had on hold a similar sink, from a salvage yard, and the find was supposed to be the cornerstone of my dream kitchen. I'm so happy for you that your vision has become a reality! Congratulations on a job well done - may you enjoy it for many years to come.

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

Magsnj, your kitchen wins the gold metal for charming and simplistic as well as realistically functional, w/o a lot of fancy bells and whistles! Congratulations on a job well done!!

I would like to know if there's an area with a table/chairs or an eat-in area nearby, and if so, would love to see those pictures also.

• deedles
    9 years ago

Such a wonderful kitchen. I would be thrilled to cook in there! And yes, I too, heart that pantry real bad. What a wonderful thing to have a pantry with windows! The tile is perfect for that kitchen.

It's such a gem, you did a wonderful, tasteful job in picking out all your elements.

• magsnj
    Original Author
    9 years ago

:). My house is a complete work in progress. I've almost been here two years, and every room is partially done. I recently finished picking the paint and getting it up in all of the rooms. But for example, the dining room, which is right outside of the kitchen, is painted a color I like, has a table I got at an estate sale, chairs, carts and an "island" that were left behind by the original owner being used as makeshift dining room furniture. It's VERY slow going, buying things on the estate sale, flea market, garage sale, Etsy circuit. :). I'm having a great time picking exactly what I want now that it's all painted.

Eventually I want every room to make me feel the same way the kitchen did. I tried for happy colors, and most of the things that fill the rooms will be special to me.

This is a picture of the dining room from when I bought the house.... the kitchen has a doorway on to the left:

This post was edited by magsnj on Fri, Apr 18, 14 at 13:04

• magsnj
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is a picture with the new table and the old paint (that's my grandmothers Kensington Staffordshire Ironstone 1801 Balmoral blue china..... she's no longer here but every time I see it I think of her and I remember...):

This post was edited by magsnj on Fri, Apr 18, 14 at 13:17

• magsnj
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And this is the only presentable-ish picture I have of the new color..... sorry....I just realized the majority of my pics are of my animals.... and that's an elk antler in Lucy's mouth, not Ben's tail. It's taken from the couch in the living room, so as you can tell, it's a modestly sized house:

• magsnj
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh, and the dining room also has a puppy crate in it ever since Ben the foster puppy came and Lucy decided she wanted to keep him:

• magsnj
    Original Author
    9 years ago

eviec1, that's very flattering. I'm sitting here trying to remember whose kitchen made me create an account so I could comment. I believe it was kateskouros. Her kitchen was fabulous (different than mine, but absolutely fabulous) and I ended up using her cabinet people after meeting with them.

Barry's tea is a staple. :). That and the odlum's wheat flour keep me tied to my Irish roots. I'd love to read your blog posting if you'd provide a link.

• magsnj
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Peegee, you can't leave us in suspense like that!! What happened to the sink? Did you get your kitchen (even if the sink didn't make it)?

• magsnj
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you everyone!

iroll, I've loved your name for awhile. Very cute. Are there pics of your kitchen out there?

Renov8r, I hope the pics above will suffice for now.... there are other charming parts of the house, but it's very simple and almost subtle (like the hutch in the corner of the dining room.... there are nicer ones out there, but mine is nice, but unassuming). The shelves above the stove help me to keep the kitchen airy, but also are fantastic for function....everything up there I use often, so when I'm using the bowls per se, the empty spot on the shelves provide a great resting spot for things while I'm prepping.

Pattycakes, the entire house is simple without bells and whistles, so I thought it only appropriate to continue the theme. As soon as you walk out of the kitchen (near the chalkboard, through the kid gate), the dining room is right there, so when I sit at my dining table I can actually see into the kitchen, the backyard, and into the living room all within the turn of my head. The house is a modest size, but it's everything I need.

Deedles, I love the window in the pantry! It's worth giving up storage that could've been added by closing off the window in there to make the pantry feel more like a room and less of a storage place.

• themaid
    9 years ago

Such an uplifting space. Great color selection, you might start a new trend.

• mtnfever (9b AZ/HZ 11)
    9 years ago

magsnj, I do love your kitchen! I haven't been on GW for awhile since my kitchen makeover has become a loooooong way out if ever. But it's raining today so I thought I'd take a gander and wow how fun to find your thread!

You mention not being to put the dishwasher under your sink. Do you mind saying why?

Thanks!

• magsnj
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi mtnfever! Sorry to hear about the delays you're having with your kitchen makeover. I'm sure most of us have felt that way at times. Hopefully yours works out for the best!

I think I may've been out of steam when I was talking to the cabinet makers. They were really great, don't get me wrong.... but they definitely would've preferred me to lose the sink, so since I had already fought so many battles for it to stay, when they told me I couldn't put the dishwasher under it I just said "Fine, we'll move it down" since it really wasn't a big issue for me to have less clearance to the pantry.

The way it was explained to me was that the sink would need a base all the way across the bottom of it. A dishwasher is a gap in cabinets that has a bridge of countertop across it that is actually supported by the cabinets on either side, so the dishwasher couldn't support a sink above it. I didn't press them, so whether this is correct or they just weren't thinking outside of the boxes and could've come up with a workaround (maybe making the cabinet a little taller so there could be a little support under it, above the dishwasher), I don't know. If it had been an issue for me, I'm sure I would've pressed for a solution and one could've been found.

• bellsmom
    9 years ago

I missed this when you first posted it. Wonderful to see that sink again.
    What a wonderful, wonderful job you did with this. It is unique, inviting, efficient. I went back over the pics several times to enjoy the finishing details.
    This goes in my fav. kitchen folder!!
    Thank you so much for sharing.

Edited to add a request:
    Please post a picture and a link to this thread on the recent "Where are all the non-white kitchens?" thread. There are very few painted kitchens showing up, and yours is one of the better ones.
    Sandra

This post was edited by Bellsmom on Mon, May 26, 14 at 12:24

• violetwest
    9 years ago

this is very pretty. I'm not usually on the kitchen forum (caught it on the most recent posts feed), so I have what I'm sure is a newbie question: Why no exhaust hood or anything above the stove? Don't you need one?

• magsnj
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Violet.West. It's a perfectly reasonable question. :). A lot of people will tell you you need one, and I'm sure those people do need one. However, I've had them, and I've NEVER used them. My mother never uses hers either. Since there's no code in my town saying it was necessary, I made the decision to forgo it.

Maybe if I had a new house that was really sealed I may think differently, but I never have the need for it. I debated about it for awhile, and in the end decided I preferred the open shelf. It may be the type of cooking I do (frying is a rarity for me, but even then I don't see the need). Whenever any cooking smell is going through the house, I like it (I don't cook fish) and it's never overstayed it's welcome.

• shelayne
    9 years ago

I know I commented on this kitchen before on another thread (maybe your advice for backsplash thread?), but I wanted to say again what I said before--

I think this kitchen is so charming and sweet, and that pantry absolutely slays me-- in a very good way and makes me wish I had same. I love everything about this kitchen, most especially that perfect, cheerful, bright blue for your cabinets!

Thank you for sharing this treasure! I *heart* this big time!

• violetwest
    9 years ago

thanks for taking the time to answer, magsnj; I understand

• magsnj
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you shelayne!! Its hard to believe that post was made back in January....it seems like just yesterday. I wonder when the new kitchen feeling is going to wear off.

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

I never get tired of looking at this kitchen...one of my two true envy-inducing kitchens.

• magsnj
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Me either greenhaven! ;) Makes me wonder though, what's the other kitchen?

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

Ooh...cant remember the name, but I crowed about it on the non white kitchens thread...the gal in Japan, There might be another but I lose track...

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

Magsnj, I must look up your cabinet maker since I am in NJ also. I love your kitchen! I missed it since I was in the tax season crunch time. I love the inset frameless style. I love the calming pretty shade of blue you chose. I love the hardware chosen that goes with the style of the cabinets. I love the marble counters. I love your sink. I love your pantry. I love your doggies! Thank you for sharing.

• magsnj
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you lynn2006! They cabinet makers were design line in seagirt nj and I had the choice of any Sherwin Williams color. In comparison to all of the other places I went (local kitchen design shops, home depot, Dutch Wood (Amish in PA who were VERY expensive)) they were reasonably priced. They make all of the cabinets in the workshop in the back of the showroom and then get their doors from the Amish in PA. I really liked their business model and the idea of everything being really local. They never subcontract for installation, AND most importantly, they had a lot of integrity. They basically redid the entire pantry when they accidentally didn't make the back cabinets as deep as I had specified. I used their plumber that they recommended, but found their electrician too expensive and found my own. The marble fabricator that they sent me to was fantastic and I actually ended up finding my slab there (after visiting 4 other stone yards I wish I had started there.... they had hand picked out a piece I loved). They even allowed me to be there for the template process so I could pick the parts of the slab that I wanted for certain areas in the kitchen.

After living in the kitchen for awhile, I still love it. The color lifts my mood. Sometimes I wish for more counterspace, but it's not often and I couldn't have gotten any more in a way that made sense. I'm super happy with all of my choices.

• carynia
    8 years ago

magsnj, such a beautiful kitchen! What color grout did you end up using for your subway tiles, was it antique white, or warm gray by Mapei?

8 years ago

What a wonderful result, and it was great to see the 'before' photos in your link. I had to laugh though, as we're contemplating putting in pretty much the same linoleum that you took out.

• bobcatralph
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

So pretty. I laughed when I saw the blue and yellow Kitchen and Bath mag in the basket. I had actually special ordered the same mag because I liked the colors on the cover so much and it was no longer being displayed on existing shelves in this area. Your kitchen makes that one look like chopped liver.

• PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Very nice. I love the daring pastel aqua color for the cabinets. Super cute kitchen!

• zorroslw1
    8 years ago

So charming! The sink is super cool and quaint. Also the pendants look like delicate flowers, very pretty. Perfect choice of the Aqua color and love the old screen door.

• magsnj
    8 years ago

Sorry! It didn't send me any notice that the kitchen had been commented on so I didn't see the questions until I went to show someone the pics of my kitchen! Hopefully these answers aren't too late to help.

Carynia, after much agita, I went with Antique white by polyblend (at home depot). I have it listed in the below posting. I see there that I made the comment that I could've went darker on the grout, however, I barely even remember that sentiment, so the color is just fine.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/2439662/kitchen-reveal-almost-completed-not-staged-kitchen-need-tile-help

AvatarWalt, I would totally put in that linoleum! There are so many benefits to linoleum that I'm sure you already know. If the wood floor had been in terrible shape, that would've been my first choice, especially since it would be appropriate for the age of the house.

bobcatralph, that magazine was "IT". After looking for over a year for inspiration I had at least a hundred magazines and books (that I just gave away). So many were beautiful, but I just kept coming back to that magazine. I could choose between any Sherwin Williams paint color that I wanted for the cabinets, and in the end I tried to get the one that would be closest to that magazine (taking into consideration the lighting in my kitchen). I'm pretty sure I'll always keep that magazine (and a few others that gave me great ideas). Ps... another favorite color that I almost went with was Aleutian.... once I decided against white, it was very hard to choose between the two, but I'm sure I couldn't be happier than I am with the color I chose.

Thank you everyone for your kind words!