Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
kitchen reveal - completed staged kitchen - photo heavy

Posted by magsnj (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 5, 14 at 20:45

First, I'd like to apologize if you had to click into this and you've seen it already. I posted it before it was finished or staged for pretty pics and while I was asking for backsplash advice. So here it is completed and staged (as for staging, it's pretty much how I live except I have a lot more storage than I have things for now, so I had to put in fillers......I don't normally have a toy truck in my pantry or keep dominoes sugar or Morton salt out in the open, but since I think the packaging is pretty, I put it out). I'm including a link to the original post which contains kitchen details. Thanks for indulging me!

photo DSC_0083_zps5ee33267.jpg

View from backdoor:
 photo DSC_0067_zps2cf6eebb.jpg

View from pantry
 photo DSC_0100_zpsbd4546df.jpg

photo DSC_0113_zps1b1545e3.jpg

photo DSC_0096_zps08de9ecb.jpg

Not crazy about Super Susan.... storage feels awkward:
 photo DSC_0083_zpsab9638b1.jpg

I love my simplex teakettle... it whistles :)
 photo DSC_0130_zpscafa6192.jpg

Don't judge me for storing supermarket bags :). Good storage for cutting boards and cookie trays.
 photo DSC_0080_zps8a8af245.jpg

I use everything on the open shelves above the range often
 photo DSC_0076_zpse8bd2da8.jpg

photo DSC_0125_zps7c887513.jpg

The sink that started it all.... my workhorse that spares my marble counters:
 photo DSC_0074_zpsa0a2eacb.jpg

photo DSC_0124_zps1acd4026.jpg

photo DSC_0004_zps1018c6fc.jpg

photo DSC_0024_zps01786974.jpg

Pantry
 photo DSC_0025_zpsf68e7f75.jpg

photo DSC_0040_zpsa991a5aa.jpg

Dishwasher
 photo DSC_0076_zpsaa695ae6.jpg

photo DSC_0084_zpsf19924c2.jpg

photo DSC_0042_zps800a0370.jpg

photo DSC_0037_zpsc892bd68.jpg

photo DSC_0091_zps72753add.jpg

photo DSC_0092_zpsf1e8b9a1.jpg

photo DSC_0043_zps18f0cfae.jpg

photo DSC_0047_zps97c78e1d.jpg

Backdoor
 photo DSC_0035_zps69ca96ca.jpg

photo DSC_0129_zps6e9ff50d.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen Details

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: kitchen reveal - completed staged kitchen - photo heavy

So charming! Thanks so much for sharing your beautiful kitchen with us. I love all the pictures showing the details. Your pantry is adorable and I love the painting cabinets throughout.

o

Oh where to start?
I LOVE your cabinets and the color of them.

Your pantry makes me drool...your floor is perfect...lighting is beautiful!

And, of course, the sink. Even though my house is neither vintage nor charming, I want a sink like that. It just WORKS. I want to sit in your kitchen and have some coffee cake with you!!

Thank you so much for sharing:)

o

My favourite GW kitchen, hands down. Thank you for sharing :) . I'm sure many will be inspired by how vintage-sympathetic, fresh-looking, and practical your kitchen is. Absolute proof that small can be adorable, especially when the home has such character. Love your cabinet colour and how you maintained an open and airy feeling by omitting upper cabinets.

o

Very pretty! Quite a change!

o

Well done! Love the blue with the marble and the subway tile!

o

Your kitchen stands out for its charm and personal touches. What a great example of daring and restraint. It seems to fit your home so well. I love your lighting choices, the sink and, of course, that pantry!

o

So stinking adorable. I want to pinch its cheeks. Love that high shelf in your pantry, way to utilize all your space. Love it!

o

What a beautiful kitchen! I love the blue cabinets, and it all works together so well. It's sleek and clean, but still very charming and warm. Enjoy!

o

Such a charming kitchen & pantry. It makes me smile.

o

It's just beautiful! You must be thrilled with how it turned out!

o

I do remember this lovely kitchen, of course, but it's a treat to stroll through it finished. You must surely be so pleased with how "right" it all feels. Appropriate for your home, updated for modern times, without losing any of the charm. It's a real, serviceable, honest kitchen, and it looks so friendly and happy!

Loved the "Kitchen Reveal" on the chalkboard, like the title page for a movie. The tile to the ceiling is perfect, and I applaud you again for using your wonderful sink! The blue you chose is soooo pretty. I even love the truck in the pantry; I'd leave it there.

o

This kitchen makes me want to come over and visit. So happy and inviting. Personality. Function (I keep grocery bags too!). Warmth. Lovely...

o

What a darling little kitchen! The color is perfect, and I would kill for that pantry.

o

I just love this kitchen. Is has so much charm and character. I just melted when I saw these pictures!

o

It really looks great! The tile to the ceiling is my favorite detail

o

Wowza. One of the most beautify rents I've seen. Totally charming and true to your space. Enjoy it in the best of health.

o

You did a great job! Now you can enjoy all your handwork. You've created a very functional and attractive space. Definitely high on the Charm Scale!! I think it is an excellent example of taking old quality workmanship and preserving it. And of how much can be done with a small space.

o

This is gorgeous! I just pinned the heck out of it :)

o

Well done! You did a great job managing the age of the house and integrating it into the new kitchen - it couldn't have possibly have been done any better. It looks completely at home with its surroundings, a goal that few manage to accomplish! You should be proud of your achievement.

o

I absolutely adore your kitchen, I want to move right in! You did such a great job, a truly timeless kitchen, I hope you enjoy it for many years to come.

o

I love the choice of colors, the counter tops, the choice of lights (so darling), and i love, love, love the sink. My one problem is that I would worry about the stove without a vent. Does it have one built in? It is a smaller space, so i do understand how you tried to incorporate everything in. You made a beautiful kitchen.

I just had a party last night at my house, and I cooked all day. I could not imagine what I would have done without a vent. It is necessary. Maybe it is built in?
Thanks

o

I love everything about your kitchen, and how you've been true to your house and true to your vision.
I hope you have many enjoyable hours cooking in your lovely space.

o

Swoon

o

A home run! Love the cabinet colors, pantry, layout, counter top, vertical storage and hardware. Congratulations!

o

Very nicely done vintage kitchen - if those cabinets aren't original they look like they could be - certainly doors, windows and trim are original (I think???) which really adds to the authenticity and the feel that this kitchen came with the house. The powdery blue is one of those 1920s colors that isn't used a lot in modern updates so it also adds to the charm.

That's my critique! In short - I love it.

o

I remember your beautiful kitchen from before as well, but I didn't think it could be any prettier when finished! I love absolutely everything about it would love to be in there making raspberry streusel!

I have an old sink with drain boards on both sides like yours (looks exactly like yours) which looks new! The sink looks so shallow though (my current kitchen sink in this old farmhouse is only 6" deep so maybe it's the same) but how do you like washing in the sink? I think I would love the drainboards because I have drying mats on both sides of my tiny sink now.

o

I love it. One of the great things about older homes is we can take risks with color AND stay true to the home! Great job.

o

So many great parts to this kitchen, and they all come together beautifully. I love the shelves flanking the stove: so charming and so useful! The blue cabinets with the gorgeous white counters are timeless. Love it!

o

Hooray for sharing it in it's finished state. I don't know if it would ever be possible to be unhappy in that lovely kitchen. Very well done.

o

sweet! nice tile work. enjoy!

o

So beautiful! The subway tiles are the perfect finishing touch! If someone had said to me they were doing blue cabinets, I would have had my doubts. But your kitchen is just amazing, it all works and is absolutely lovely! Unique, cheery and just perfect! Great job.

o

This is none of he most charming and pretty kitchens I have seen! I can tell lot of thought went into that space. I love the colors and layout!!!!!

o

:). Wow! You all sure do know how to make a girl feel good! This kitchen makes me incredibly happy, and for such a small room you'd be surprised how much time is spent in it.

amck summed up my thoughts on the process perfectly with the comment about "daring and restraint". Once I picked the bold cabinet color choice, I definitely had to reign in my "out there" tendencies and just make choices based on what I thought would compliment the color best. I'm really pleased with the result.

I wish I could thank each of you individually for your kind words, but again, it's probably best to use restraint (I'd probably be making a character limitation violation of some sort). Just know that as I was reading them, each comment made me feel better than the last. Having the kitchen well received by others is definitely the cherry on my sundae.

MrsHanson, no vent for me. I considered it, since every kitchen seems to have one now, but I decided against it since I never have a need for one. I do a lot of cooking, so maybe it's just the type of cooking I do (I don't really fry anything)? I made the compromise of getting a dishwasher b/c it seems like a necessity nowadays (I seem a lot older than 34, don't I?), so maybe I didn't feel like having to compromise again on an appliance? As of now, I force myself to run my dishwasher once every 3 weeks to make sure it stays in working order, but my handwashed dishes look nicer.

That's a good segue to IowaCommutes question. I LOVE my sink. It's so functional! I do everything from left to right, from washing dishes, to food prep. I wash the dishes in a plastic bin and the depth has never been an issue. I hear some people complain about the water splashing them in deep sinks after they turn on the faucet. That hasn't been an issue. Food prep is great! From rinsing fruit and veggies to using a cutting board on the drainboards, it's all so easy to clean and you don't have to worry about juices running over b/c it's so easy to clean. It definitely is my "sloppy" area and gives me peace of mind with the marble. I would recommend getting a pull down faucet like mine...I don't know how I lived without it. :). The sink has 4 holes in it....I chose to have two soap dispensers, but you could also do a hot water dispenser if you like them.

Hpny2, the morning they unloaded my blue cabinets and brought them into the sunlight I thought I was going to hate them!! LOL. They were so bright! Just goes to show, you have to test the lighting in the room with the color. I had painted the old metal cabinet in the kitchen with several color options before I decided. When I came home that night and saw the cabinets in the kitchen I knew I was going to love them forever. :)

o

I know I must have seen the kitchen before, but the reveal photos are amazing! I adore your kitchen, and, as others have already said, the fact that you allowed the room to be true to itself and reflect YOU.

Congratulations!

o

Pssssssssssst: the left corbel under your teapot is on backwards. Now you can tell how closely I looked at your pictures!!!

o

Wow - it looks even more amazing than it did the first time you posted photos...certainly worthy of an official reveal! Congrats on a magnificent job!!!

o

Lovely, lovely!

o

I can't express how much I love your kitchen! This is a space that would make anyone happy any time they walked into it. I really think you did a fantastic job staying with the home and giving your kitchen character. This is definitely my new #1 favorite kitchen!

o

Beautybutdebtfree!????!????!!!!! lol. You weren't supposed to notice that! It took me so long to post final reveal photos bc of that stupid corbel! I had a contractor hang the shelves back up bc I was worried about drilling through the tile. He came in and lectured me that the shelves needed to be reconstructed to make them more sturdy (seemed sturdy to me and I wasn't putting much on them, but I went with bc I figured better safe than sorry, right? WRONG!). I came home from work...... and upside down corbel....I can't tell you how upset I was/am. First the contractor said he didn't do that, it was already upside down, but I showed him the pics from my original post to prove he did it. He's still supposed to come back and fix it.

Btw, that pretty much sums up my experience with contractors. I partially blame myself for not being here when he hung it. I know better than that, but work needed me, and who could mess up a corbel? Honestly, I half think he did it on purpose. :). How could that get messed up?!

o

Love it!!!!
Maybe you posted the specs somewhere and I misse them... Hope you don't mind me asking what are your counters? Also, how was the chalkboard made? Is it custom or done by the cabinet manufacturer? Thanks!

o

Beautybuddebtfree....since you looked THAT closely I'm going to tell you the 2 other things that sometimes bother me. They're not that big of issues.... and I probably won't remember them in a year except for documenting it here. Full disclosure.

1. On the right hand side of the sink, I don't like how the cabinet ends under the right drainboard (you can see it best in the dishwasher photo....I wish it was more like the left hand side.... with the kitchen being the size it is, I'm super limited in the ways I could've fixed the problem, and I may not have even bothered, but I didn't know it would be an issue (it's not REALLY an issue, I just would've avoided it if I could've, but since there aren't many pictures of cabinets being built for sinks like this, I could've never known). Hopefully, if someone else builds cabinets for a sink like this, this post can help them.

2. When I originally went over the layout with the cabinet maker, I wanted the pantry the way it is, except I wanted the back cabinet to be 24 inches deep. Cabinet maker said it'd feel tight and wanted to make it 12 inches deep like the side cabinets. I said, no way b/c I wanted to be able to put a microwave there if I ever decided I wanted a microwave, so we settled on 18 inches. I wish I had stuck to my guns and went with 24. Funny story, when they put in the cabinets, they only made it 12 inches deep, and they made the side cabinets the blind cabinets. In the contract I specified that the back cabinet was to be 18 inches deep with blind storage. They had to redo all of the cabinets in the pantry..... and I considered requesting it be 24 inches, but I didn't want to push my luck.

Kitchen renovations are not for the faint of heart.

I may've compromised on the depth of the back cabinet in the pantry, but I did not compromise on the clearance for the entry of the pantry. They told me it'd be too tight if I put the dishwasher where it is (the only other option was to get rid of the sink since a dishwasher couldn't go under it), but it's not tight at all, so I'm really glad I didn't listen.

o

Hi Farmhousegirl! There's a link at the end of the first post that leads you to a thread with the details. Oddly enough, I didn't post where I got the chalkboard.

The counters are honed carrera marble. I ordered a special sized chalkboard from Billyboardsmfg.com. The cabinetmaker assured me that he'd done this before and it was no problem. He gave me the dimensions to get and when I researched, Billboards was the only one that had the size ready made. I liked them b/c I could use chalk or wet erase markers so I could choose whether I wanted to deal with chalk dust or not. When the cabinets were installed, it turns out the dimensions were a couple of centimeters off and either the cabinet maker would have to make the panel again, or I'd have to order a custom chalkboard. I ended up ordering a custom sized chalkboard from billyboards at the cabinetmakers expense. The chalkboard inserts into the panel and there are clamps on the back, much like you'd put a picture into a picture frame. The chalkboard is also magnetic.

Funny, I really have forgotten about all the little stresses that went into renovating. I know ordering another chalkboard doesn't sound that stressful, but it really was.... when you add it to reordering hardware, fighting for the right depth cabinets, getting the first shelves made out of plywood when you were promised one inch thick pine and having them be remade, having a corbel hung upside down..... and probably a handful of other things that aren't coming to mind at the moment. :). It was well worth it in the end.... but boy do I wish it had gone smoother.

o

ktj459, you hit the nail on the head. The kitchen really does brighten my mood every time I walk into it... and not in a subtle, "I love my new kitchen" kind of way. It's very cheerful.

o

I hope you realize my comment on the backwards corbel wasn't at all a criticism, but rather a sort of backward compliment that I LOVE what you did so much I STUDIED the pictures. I actually would leave it!! Especially in a vintage space, there are stories to the materials therein. Mis-matched things, layers of paint, holes where something used to be, dents and dings from years of living and loving use. So a vintage space shouldn't be perfect. It should feel like it has a story to tell. Like it's had a life, well lived. The very reason we love vintage spaces is this. We love that they are living spaces, with stories to tell, and flaws and wear and tear to show. I also LOVE the streaky-stainy bits in your vintage floor - how much character they add, and authenticity, to your space! A perfect space is sterile.

o

:) I thought you meant it as a compliment. Your name catches my attention and I've never seen you be negative on any other thread, so i didn't think my kitchen had sparked a mean streak in you. :) if the contractor decides to hide, i will definitely leave it there as a 'haha', bc I'm not dealing with another contractor for at least a year. :)

o

magsnj I love your kitchen and love your reveal...you have a wonderful eye for details and it is great to hear about all the details, good and bad. Personally I love your pantry just the way it is and think the 18" looks great. Love your final tile placement choices and of course that sink is a real showstopper.

o

Thank you robotropolis! This kitchen was really a labor of love. The 18'' serves it's purpose, so I can't really complain...... but if I had to make a complaint about the kitchen, that would probably be it. lol.

This post was edited by magsnj on Mon, Apr 7, 14 at 11:28

o

:) I thought you meant it as a compliment. Your name catches my attention and I've never seen you be negative on any other thread, so i didn't think my kitchen had sparked a mean streak in you. :) if the contractor decides to hide, i will definitely leave it there as a 'haha', bc I'm not dealing with another contractor for at least a year. :)

o

I LOVE it!!!!!

o

I LOVE what you did! LOVE this! I just posted asking advice ideas for my reno today in fact.

I am trying to get ideas for my 1906 arts&crafts bungalow. Your kitchen is going to be my "inspiration" model.

I, too, have a very small kitchen footprint to work with -133 sq feet and want to keep it with the historic aspect of the home -- but with modern conveniences.

Your kitchen seems to bridge that delicate balance beautifully!

Where did you find your cabinets? That's the style I'm looking for as well.

o

Thank you Saintpfla. I saw your kitchen on my phone when I was commuting home from work.... I'm still trying to wrap my brain around what the floor plan currently is. :) I'll have to take a harder look at the photo you posted. My floor plan has three doorways, a large bank of windows, a pipe in a corner that makes 2 odd angles instead if one 90 degree turn and a coat closet whose backside jutted into the kitchen (on the right of the fridge)..... so I can sympathize with your floor plan challenge. :)

My cabinets are frameless shaker style from Design Line Kitchens in NJ. They're a cabinetmaker that has a workshop in the back of their showroom where they make the cabinets. I really liked their quality for the price. I liked buying locally. And in the end, after reading up on it, I liked frameless cabinets in my kitchen b/c they give you more storage space.... the trade off is that no 1920's house would've had frameless. You should definitely price out all types of cabinet dealers b/c mine are custom and were not astronomically priced. I was surprised. And I can't help but think b/c of the weird angles in my kitchen, having cabinetmakers that were flexible with measurements saved me a lot in hassle, time and possibly money. There are questions to ask all cabinetmakers (off of the top of my head, make sure there's no formaldehyde in the glue in the plywood frames, weight for the drawer glides, and some things I'm sure I asked but I forget now)

I could've chosen from any wood stains, standard colors, or pay an extra $300 and use any Sherwin Williams paint color. It took me about a week of painting approximately 7 different shades of blue in my kitchen before picking the one that I thought was best.

The color choices:
 photo Kitchenandmisc050_zps9fb96681.jpg

I looked at months and months and months of kitchen magazines before I honed in on what my style is. You just find yourself gravitating towards the style you like the most... and then you start to focus on the details. I think it actually helped that I clung to my sink. It gave me a starting point that I loved. Also, old house magazines were great. This old house's website has beautiful pictures of kitchens..... old house journal had great pictures in their magazine.....I love craftsman houses... congratulations on your find. I'm sure you'll love it for all it's quirks.

o

Ah, you two are making me miss my old house back in town in Illinois! I moved out of my dream location, but that house in town had the coolest quirks and old character.

Even though we rent it now I am glad we still own it. I would love to renovate the old kitchen someday.

o

Thank you for posting the final, final reveal. I'm on the blue cabinet kick, also. Though all that exists of my cabinets & kitchen is a painted piece of board, so I get pleasure galore in viewing your fabulous kitchen.

Curious what SW white you used for the walls?

Your kitchen isn't cute to me. It is serene exuberance, which is why I decided to go blue myself. Bring on the happy.

Shout out to Barry's Tea!

o

Hi onedogedie! Barry's Tea is a staple, along with the Odlum's extra course wheat flour. Can't make proper Irish brown bread without it.

The white paint on the walls is Benjamin Moore simply white. I originally tried to use a more vanilla like color that I thought would look well, but ended up hating it. Instead of buying more paint I decide to see how I liked the paint I used on the ceiling in the entire house since I had it on hand(simply white) and it worked perfectly.

o

Deleting duplicate post.... don't know why my messages keep appearing twice...

This post was edited by magsnj on Tue, Apr 8, 14 at 11:39

o

Hooray for COLOR! It's about time someone wasn't scared of using it!

o

photo homerun_zps2f84375a.jpg

o

Gorgeous, love the color! Love the range and sink too - congratulations on creating such a charming, functional space!

o

:) Thanks everyone!! You're all making me feel great!

Live_Wire_Oak, I felt EXACTLY the same way. I came close to playing it safe with white (which I'm sure could've been lovely), but I'm so happy I chose a color. It's a really big, scary commitment to make, but I'm positive I'm much happier than I would've been with white.

Carsonheim, that's great. LOL. Thank you!

kksmama, I should tell you, the range looks good, and I don't regret getting it b/c the fridge that matches it is INCREDIBLE, but the convection fan takes up too much room in the oven and the cast iron grates drive me bonkers.

This post was edited by magsnj on Tue, Apr 8, 14 at 22:16

o

Deleted dup

This post was edited by magsnj on Tue, Apr 8, 14 at 22:17

o

The back wall is finally done!! Hooray!!! I have been wondering when we'd get to see this marvelous kitchen all done. Still love your pantry and that cabinet color--it's PERFECT for your kitchen. Love love love it!

o

So beautiful Pictures and this pictures showing all the details.Thanks so much for sharing your beautiful kitchen with us.

Thanks

Here is a link that might be useful: Woodwork, Deck Designs

o

The kitchen is lovely! I have a sink like that in my laundry room and love it! Did you have the sink treated or was it originally in such good shape? It looks like you utilized the space well with storage etc.

o

You nailed this, magsnj. Such a beautiful & soothing color. I'm sure you love working in it. Your BS turned out perfect. Enjoy! Thanks for sharing.

o

Thank you all! Choosing a color was definitely the best decision I made.

quiltgirl, the sink is in the same condition it was in when I moved in. It's not perfect, but it's close, and I'd read so many horror stories about having it treated that I decided not to take the chance.

o

God, I really love this kitchen. I'm a sucker for blue! You did a great job!

o

Great job. SO nice to see something a little different. The tile to the ceiling gives a nice authenticity to the space, and makes a great backdrop for just about anything.

o

Love, love, love your kitchen. I can't think of a thing I would have done differently. This style of vintage kitchen is my favorite; I did a sort of ode to the style (in a 1961 Cape Cod!)
Great job keeping the charm and updating for far better function.

o

It's a really beautiful kitchen. Well done

o

So nice! That blue is fab!

o

A warm inviting kitchen. It reminds me of the kitchens you read about in novels. I love your decision to go with the shelves over the range rather than a hood. I think you did a fantastic job, despite the few complaints you have. I'm sure when I finish my kitchen there will be a few things I wish were or weren't there. You sound relieved it is all done. Job well done. Now are you doing another part of your house? I would love to see all its quaint features.

o

After lurking on the forum for days, I came across this post and had to register for two reasons. One, to tell you how absolutely stunning this kitchen is and two, BARRY'S TEA!! I just wrote a post on my blog about it a couple of days ago. I'd love to sit in your kitchen and share a pot with you! Beautiful!

o

So enjoyed viewing your gorgeous kitchen. It brings to my mind that not too many years ago I was attempting a new build, and had on hold a similar sink, from a salvage yard, and the find was supposed to be the cornerstone of my dream kitchen. I'm so happy for you that your vision has become a reality! Congratulations on a job well done - may you enjoy it for many years to come.

o

Magsnj, your kitchen wins the gold metal for charming and simplistic as well as realistically functional, w/o a lot of fancy bells and whistles! Congratulations on a job well done!!

I would like to know if there's an area with a table/chairs or an eat-in area nearby, and if so, would love to see those pictures also.

o

Such a wonderful kitchen. I would be thrilled to cook in there! And yes, I too, heart that pantry real bad. What a wonderful thing to have a pantry with windows! The tile is perfect for that kitchen.

It's such a gem, you did a wonderful, tasteful job in picking out all your elements.

o

:). My house is a complete work in progress. I've almost been here two years, and every room is partially done. I recently finished picking the paint and getting it up in all of the rooms. But for example, the dining room, which is right outside of the kitchen, is painted a color I like, has a table I got at an estate sale, chairs, carts and an "island" that were left behind by the original owner being used as makeshift dining room furniture. It's VERY slow going, buying things on the estate sale, flea market, garage sale, Etsy circuit. :). I'm having a great time picking exactly what I want now that it's all painted.

Eventually I want every room to make me feel the same way the kitchen did. I tried for happy colors, and most of the things that fill the rooms will be special to me.

This is a picture of the dining room from when I bought the house.... the kitchen has a doorway on to the left:

This post was edited by magsnj on Fri, Apr 18, 14 at 13:04

o

This is a picture with the new table and the old paint (that's my grandmothers Kensington Staffordshire Ironstone 1801 Balmoral blue china..... she's no longer here but every time I see it I think of her and I remember...):

This post was edited by magsnj on Fri, Apr 18, 14 at 13:17

o

And this is the only presentable-ish picture I have of the new color..... sorry....I just realized the majority of my pics are of my animals.... and that's an elk antler in Lucy's mouth, not Ben's tail. It's taken from the couch in the living room, so as you can tell, it's a modestly sized house:

o

Oh, and the dining room also has a puppy crate in it ever since Ben the foster puppy came and Lucy decided she wanted to keep him:

o

eviec1, that's very flattering. I'm sitting here trying to remember whose kitchen made me create an account so I could comment. I believe it was kateskouros. Her kitchen was fabulous (different than mine, but absolutely fabulous) and I ended up using her cabinet people after meeting with them.

Barry's tea is a staple. :). That and the odlum's wheat flour keep me tied to my Irish roots. I'd love to read your blog posting if you'd provide a link.

o

Peegee, you can't leave us in suspense like that!! What happened to the sink? Did you get your kitchen (even if the sink didn't make it)?

o

Thank you everyone!

iroll, I've loved your name for awhile. Very cute. Are there pics of your kitchen out there?

Renov8r, I hope the pics above will suffice for now.... there are other charming parts of the house, but it's very simple and almost subtle (like the hutch in the corner of the dining room.... there are nicer ones out there, but mine is nice, but unassuming). The shelves above the stove help me to keep the kitchen airy, but also are fantastic for function....everything up there I use often, so when I'm using the bowls per se, the empty spot on the shelves provide a great resting spot for things while I'm prepping.

Pattycakes, the entire house is simple without bells and whistles, so I thought it only appropriate to continue the theme. As soon as you walk out of the kitchen (near the chalkboard, through the kid gate), the dining room is right there, so when I sit at my dining table I can actually see into the kitchen, the backyard, and into the living room all within the turn of my head. The house is a modest size, but it's everything I need.

Deedles, I love the window in the pantry! It's worth giving up storage that could've been added by closing off the window in there to make the pantry feel more like a room and less of a storage place.

o

Such an uplifting space. Great color selection, you might start a new trend.

o

magsnj, I do love your kitchen! I haven't been on GW for awhile since my kitchen makeover has become a loooooong way out if ever. But it's raining today so I thought I'd take a gander and wow how fun to find your thread!

You mention not being to put the dishwasher under your sink. Do you mind saying why?

Thanks!

o

Hi mtnfever! Sorry to hear about the delays you're having with your kitchen makeover. I'm sure most of us have felt that way at times. Hopefully yours works out for the best!

I think I may've been out of steam when I was talking to the cabinet makers. They were really great, don't get me wrong.... but they definitely would've preferred me to lose the sink, so since I had already fought so many battles for it to stay, when they told me I couldn't put the dishwasher under it I just said "Fine, we'll move it down" since it really wasn't a big issue for me to have less clearance to the pantry.

The way it was explained to me was that the sink would need a base all the way across the bottom of it. A dishwasher is a gap in cabinets that has a bridge of countertop across it that is actually supported by the cabinets on either side, so the dishwasher couldn't support a sink above it. I didn't press them, so whether this is correct or they just weren't thinking outside of the boxes and could've come up with a workaround (maybe making the cabinet a little taller so there could be a little support under it, above the dishwasher), I don't know. If it had been an issue for me, I'm sure I would've pressed for a solution and one could've been found.

o

I missed this when you first posted it. Wonderful to see that sink again.
What a wonderful, wonderful job you did with this. It is unique, inviting, efficient. I went back over the pics several times to enjoy the finishing details.
This goes in my fav. kitchen folder!!
Thank you so much for sharing.

Edited to add a request:
Please post a picture and a link to this thread on the recent "Where are all the non-white kitchens?" thread. There are very few painted kitchens showing up, and yours is one of the better ones.
Sandra

This post was edited by Bellsmom on Mon, May 26, 14 at 12:24

o

this is very pretty. I'm not usually on the kitchen forum (caught it on the most recent posts feed), so I have what I'm sure is a newbie question: Why no exhaust hood or anything above the stove? Don't you need one?

o

Hi Violet.West. It's a perfectly reasonable question. :). A lot of people will tell you you need one, and I'm sure those people do need one. However, I've had them, and I've NEVER used them. My mother never uses hers either. Since there's no code in my town saying it was necessary, I made the decision to forgo it.

Maybe if I had a new house that was really sealed I may think differently, but I never have the need for it. I debated about it for awhile, and in the end decided I preferred the open shelf. It may be the type of cooking I do (frying is a rarity for me, but even then I don't see the need). Whenever any cooking smell is going through the house, I like it (I don't cook fish) and it's never overstayed it's welcome.

o

I know I commented on this kitchen before on another thread (maybe your advice for backsplash thread?), but I wanted to say again what I said before--

I think this kitchen is so charming and sweet, and that pantry absolutely slays me-- in a very good way and makes me wish I had same. I love everything about this kitchen, most especially that perfect, cheerful, bright blue for your cabinets!

Thank you for sharing this treasure! I *heart* this big time!

o

thanks for taking the time to answer, magsnj; I understand

o

Thank you shelayne!! Its hard to believe that post was made back in January....it seems like just yesterday. I wonder when the new kitchen feeling is going to wear off.

o

I never get tired of looking at this kitchen...one of my two true envy-inducing kitchens.

o

Me either greenhaven! ;) Makes me wonder though, what's the other kitchen?

o

Ooh...cant remember the name, but I crowed about it on the non white kitchens thread...the gal in Japan, There might be another but I lose track...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here