Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
spider96

Kitchen sneak peek!!

spider96
13 years ago

It's move in day, and I'm completely mentally and physically exhausted, but I was so thrilled when I walked in this morning that I just have to share. So many of you encouraged me that it would all be ok, and it is. I never thought I'd say this, but I LOVE the yellow and I LOVE the red. Somehow, it all came together.

Here are a few pictures.

Comments (56)

• blfenton
    13 years ago

Love, love, love those floors, And against the red and yellow they are amazing.

• rhome410
    13 years ago

Gorgeous, gorgeous. I'm glad you went with the red, and that island top is SPECTACULAR.

• mountaineergirl
    13 years ago

Oh I just knew it would be amazing! See all those worries about nothing! Its absolutely beautiful! the shades of yellow and red are perfect. very warm, inviting. Enjoy it for many many years!!

• francoise47
    13 years ago

Hi Spider,

Warm and yummy --makes me want to pull up a stool, a cup of coffee, and watch you start cooking something delicious. It did all come together -- you were right! Love the colors and that wood island top! Best of wishes for your new kitchen.

• sas95
    13 years ago

It looks great. Just beautiful!

• oldhouse1
    13 years ago

It is a truly beautiful one of a kind kitchen. It has so much warmth and character and I hope that it will soon be filled with family and friends. No more worries. You've done it, now enjoy!

• flwrs_n_co
    13 years ago

Your beautiful kitchen is so warm and welcoming! I love the yellow and red, and that island top and floor are gorgeous! So glad all that worrying was for nothing. Enjoy!!

• greenhousems
    13 years ago

Just beautiful. What an amazing job. Congrats.

• 2golftoday
    13 years ago

Wow, what a beautiful kitchen! The colors are absolutely gorgeous! Enjoy!!

• dianalo
    13 years ago

...and the floors look fab too!

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

Congrats! Great space. Bold hardware. Lovely cabinets.

• yellowdog2
    13 years ago

You did it!!! It looks absolutely amazing!!! Thanks for being brave and going through with it. I can't wait to see more, more, more!!!
    ps. the floors look awesome!

• marthavila
    13 years ago

Wow, this kitchen is simply beautiful, Spider! Of course you know I am totally in sync with your palette. But the layout and other finish choices are just as spectacular. Thanks for the sneak peek. Noow that you've got us drooling, you do know you just have to show and tell us so much more!

• honorbiltkit
    13 years ago

Gimme a Big Mac, large fries, and a Coke, please, spider.

Nah, I knew it was going to be swell.

The floor is almost edible. And somehow the walls and backsplash make white function as an accent color with the yellow cabinets and woodwork. The balance is brilliant, and the total effect is so welcoming.

• scl4
    13 years ago

This might be the only non contemporary kitchen that I have seen and loved on these boards. Looks unique, oozing with personality, and functional.

Congratulations. Well done.

• cat_mom
    13 years ago

Very homey and warm.

That island counter top is swoon-worthy!!!!!! (floors ain't half-bad either :-)).

• dmlinparadise
    13 years ago

Gorgeous!

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

God's in his heaven and all's right with the world....

• mythreesonsnc
    13 years ago

I now have barn red regret! My plan was always the red island and at the last minute I chickened out --- seeing yours is making me realize what a big mistake that was! It is amazing! The entire space has so much character and warmth, and your floors.... gorgeous! Congrats on move in day!

• CEFreeman
    13 years ago

Spidey,

Promise me you'll never, ever 2nd guess yourself, nor let [ahem] someone who shall remain nameless hurt your feelings with their substandard, unimaginative lack of taste.

This is beautiful. I can't wait to do my MBR & share pics. (Don't anyone hold their breath. It takes me forever to get anything done!) Barn red & Hawthorne yellow.

Love it. LOVE IT.

Christine
    Formerly C F Muehling

• katsmah
    13 years ago

That looks great! Love the island counter top and the combination of the yellow cabinets, the white subway and black countertop.

• User
    13 years ago

Really lovely. I think the wood floors and island top go very well together. c

• desertsteph
    13 years ago

beautiful! I love a yellow kitchen. but, but, but - where's all of your stuff? dishes?

whatcha been doing with your time now? lol!

• shelayne
    13 years ago

Oh. I don't know. It just makes me want a burger.

TOTALLY KIDDING!

I love love LOVE it! I am totally in love with yellow cabinets to begin with, so this is just perfection to me!

Spidey, it is WONDERFUL!

• roseofblue
    13 years ago

Congratulations, we really feel your excitement! A wonderful kitchen in every detail, anxious to see lots more! What direction do the windows face, are you looking north? Our window over the sink faces north, so we just painted the walls a soft yellow, to brighten the kitchen, just hope that this looks good with the marble counters. It makes a cheerful reflection on our custom white cabinets. What is the wood on the floor and on that beautiful island top!? What are your gorgeous black counters made of? Like your Wolf range with those red knobs, ours is an electric smooth top Wolf, but I want those red knobs, anyway! Your new kitchen is an inspiration and so exciting! Wish our Calcutta Gold counters were installed, I know how difficult it is to imagine that our selections will all work well together. We are approaching eight months of renovating, how long did all of this take you! Rose

• ironcook
    13 years ago

oh, spider...

it is so wonderful!

only you could have envisioned all these unique elements together for your home... and it turned out so beautifully.

the floors, the walnut island top, the colors. well done.

i'm glad you're happy now, too. :)

• doggonegardener
    13 years ago

It looks awesome. LOVE LOVE LOVE your island top. The colors are perfect. It's just paint but sometimes it's shocking. Always good to sit on it for a little while. It usually turns out just like you envisioned.

Congrats!

• spider96
    Original Author
    13 years ago

THANK YOU so much, everyone! Y'all are too kind (and many of you too funny)

My stuff is still in boxes....I haven't showered in 3 days (sorry, TMI, but true) My four year old has the stomach flu...what is the luck that it happened on moving day? He was so sick that my husband didn't come to the house and I am by myself trying to make sense of this chaos.

SO, it will take me a day or so to answer questions. I'll pop in tonight and answer some specific questions. I will post better pictures (that weren't taken from my iphone) once I get the kitchen unpacked. I promise!!

Thanks again everyone. Y'all made my day!

• jillandmatt
    13 years ago

I love love love your new kitchen!!! It is so warm and beautiful!!! We are in the middle of building a house and I definitely want to do a wood counter on my island just like yours. Can you tell me where you purchased it and what type of wood it is? Also, what type of finish does it have? I have been looking at walnut from John Boos but having a hard time deciding. Also, I love your industrial lights and am thinking about doing them over my island too. Thanks for the pics. I would love to see more.

• cardamon
    13 years ago

You did good Spider, it looks beautiful. I am so glad you love it. And I bet it won't look like your neighbor's kitchen. Good choices in all you've done.

• eandhl
    13 years ago

It all came together beautifully. Good job - now enjoy!

• stacieann63
    13 years ago

I love the red and the yellow! It's a gorgeous space. Hope the move goes smoothly and your little feels better soon.

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Oh Spider,

Simply wonderful!
    This is going to be even more fantastic when you get
    all your stuff unpacked and into that gorgeous space.

You DREAMED it and wow your dream came true. I love
    it all. We all had faith in the red and yellow. Being
    a red girl myself I knew that this combo could be done
    and be done amazing. You are far more talented than you
    realize. Look back at your old posts and pat yourself
    on the back. This is a kitchen out of House Beautiful!

Loving that you were brave and did it!!!!!!!
    Remember the decorator telling you to do wallpaper.
    WHAT???? Clearly she did not know you have talents to make
    this vision work. Congratulations Spider!!!
    ~boxerpups

Here is the link from Spider, when she was second guessing.
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0317595432553.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Spider96 in the dreaming process...

• celineike
    13 years ago

Like everyone has already so sweetly said... It's fantastic and fun and refreshing! A great warm welcoming feel ..fab!! Well done!

• jterrilynn
    13 years ago

Beautiful in so many ways! You pulled of a kitchen that is both unique and somehow manages to have a look that seems as though it has already lived a very well cared for life with many a happy family...it looks like it belongs there.
    All my best to you Spidy, enjoy for years to come.

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    13 years ago

Fabulous, Spider, and happy cooking with your family in your new home!

Yes, please, more pics as soon as you're able, especially once you've unpacked the kitchen : ).

Becky

• joan2121
    13 years ago

Congrats!! It is beautiful. Love the colors! Enjoy!

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Spider- It's lovely! I knew you would be happy in the end...it's just wonderful! Take care of yourself and your little guy and enjoy creating your new home :)

• burghmom
    13 years ago

Wow! Gorgeous! I love all of it! I especially would like to know the details on the flooring! Stunning. Congrats and enjoy every meal and every moment.

• sandn
    13 years ago

Gorgeous. I love your bold yet controlled palette of colours and materials. They all look of a piece. Well done. I'll look forward to seeing photos once you've moved in--with all of your dishes and other sign of life. That is a kitchen just begging to be used. Will you put any rugs down on that beautiful plank floor?

• nutherokie_gw
    13 years ago

Ah! So charming and warm! Love the beadboard an that countertop! Gasp!

• jtkaybean
    13 years ago

You have added so much charm and character to your house, I love it!

I'm getting a little bored with just the white kitchens ha ha! I bet you are so pleased with how it turned out!

• kateskouros
    13 years ago

really nice work, congratulations!

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

Oh boy, did it ever come together! Amazing. I would never have the guts to go with those colors myself, but I'm so glad that you did so I can admire them! I am impressed by how you stuck to your original vision and pulled it off. Very well done.

Now, more pictures please! I'll try to be patient until after your DS feels better. My tiny little DD is sick today too.

• elizpiz
    13 years ago

I LOOOVE it!! You must be so happy after all your angst. Those colours are fabulous, the floors amazing and I am in love with your red island.

Can't wait to see it with all of your things.

Congrats and enjoy!

Eliz

• spider96
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you so much everyone!!!! Y'all are just too nice! I'm just now seeing all the comments- I was hoping to address people individually, but my four year old ended up being hospitalized with dehydration last night. So, things have been a bit crazy (to say the least).
    I think someone asked about the island- it is walnut with dominant sapwood by Grothouse, and I have the mineral oil finish. I was a little scared how the dominant sapwood thing would turn out, but I love it. It feels so good to put my elbows on.

I'll post more pictures and more details when things are less crazy. I'm not a procrastinator, so that will probably be in a couple weeks.

THANK YOU to those of you who helped me. Boxer, I love how you pulled up that old thread. I didn't do this alone- I had lots of nice friends encouraging me. :)

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Get well wishes for your baby boy. Truly a scary time
    for you. Wishing he is home safe in your arms and feeling
    better.

(((((((((((((((((((((get well soon)))))))))))))))))))))))

~boxer

• 2golftoday
    13 years ago

Hope your little boy is feeling better soon!

• hellonasty
    13 years ago

Wow, your kitchen is looking AMAZING!!! I really love it!

• 2LittleFishies
    11 years ago

hi spider!
    I may have asked you this already, but how thick is your walnut top?
    Thanks!