Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
spider96

Second guessing cabinet color...opinions please

spider96
13 years ago

Our cabinets are installed and they are going to begin painting them tomorrow. I have pretty much stuck to the idea of pale yellow cabinets all along, and I'm still fine with that. The perimeter counters are soapstone, and the island countertop is walnut (with dominant sapwood). The floors are antique oak, the fixtures are bronze. (the cabinets are inset with exposed hinges, large (36 inch) apron front sink)

What I'm second guessing is the island color. I was going to paint it red, but I'm getting cold feet. I keep having flashing images of McDonald's, which is seriously what is holding me back. Not sure what my options are....I've considered white, but I feel like that would get so beaten up on the island. I've also considered pale green. I'd love some opinions!

Comments (10)

• francoise47
    13 years ago

It sounds like a lovely kitchen! Do you have any progress pictures?

I love red islands, but I'm not a big fan of a red and yellow combination of colors. Could you pick a creamy white for the perimeter cabinets that it not so yellow? This might work better with a red island.

Your idea of a green island also sounds pretty. I always liked this kitchen with a green island and a walnut butcher block.

Here is a link that might be useful: scroll through to see green island

• itsallaboutthefood
    13 years ago

What color red is it? We have a red living room (Benjamin Moore Mexicana I believe) which is kind of a terra cotta darkish red. It looks great with our pale yellow hallway (Benjamin Moore Filtered Sunlight) and oak floors. It doesn't look like McDonalds at all. However, if you put a true red with yellow, I'm not sure if that would look right. It all depends on the kind of red. What if you get a piece of plywood and paint it the red you want and set it near the island after the yellow cabinets are done and then evaluate before committing to the island color.

• spider96
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have a few pictures, but not really worth posting because it was about a month ago. I think I want to keep the yellow for the perimeter but possibly change the island color. I do love the red island idea, and I thought I loved with with the yellow, so I'm not sure if it's cold feet or if I'm coming to my senses. I don't have much time, though!

• spider96
    Original Author
    13 years ago

There are 2 reds I am going back and forth between. One is Country Redwood by Benjamin moore, and the other is Roasted Pepper by Sherwin Williams. The BM color is deeper and darker than the other, but neither are true bright reds.

• dianalo
    13 years ago

When I see a kitchen with red and yellow all I can hear in my head is "mustard and ketchup", over and over.

Have them start to paint the other cabs and give yourself as much time as possible to think and rethink the island color. You want to get it right the first time.
    Have you considered black cabs for the island? It would tie in with the soapstone. Otherwise, the right shade of green would be lovely.

• ironcook
    13 years ago

are you painting all at once? do you have time to live with the yellow a little while and let that inform your choice?

i think the pale green sounds nice, but that would depend on both the yellow and the green! creamy white would also be pretty. your ideas sound good.

i'm having a hard time picturing red w/walnut and yellow w/soapstone on the perimeters.

what color is your soapstone?

• spider96
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, they are painting all at once- I need to pick something or it won't be painted at all. The soapstone is from Bucks county soapstone- it looks almost black when oiled. The yellow is benjamin moore hawthorne yellow (in the historic colors) My trim is simply white, so if I did white, wouldn't I need to do it the same as the trim color? (I don't think of that white as "creamy")

• nini804
    13 years ago

I am digging the thought of black for the island. It would "ground" the space, and look lovely with the soapstone on the perimeter and the wood top.

Or, actually, since you are doing a different top for the island...why don't you paint the island yellow as well? My designer actually prefers to keep the island and cabs the same if you are doing different tops. (Of course that is just her opinion, but she swayed me...I am doing my perimeter and island the same with different tops.)

• plllog
    13 years ago

How about a burnt orange, like a pumpkin pie color? I think a deep barn red would be great, or more yellow, but I really don't think white or green are going to give you the same impact.

Your original plan uses a wedge of the color wheel with different tones all within that area. The green widens the area without giving you an exact contrast. White, like black, is all colors. Your original plan has a lot more color cohesion to it. If you change it, if you can stay within the yellow-orange-brown-red groups, you'll keep your design scheme going even if you change the actual hue for the island.

• honorbiltkit
    13 years ago

If the yellow you are using is really pale, I cannot see how the final effect with any color red island can be Golden Arches.

That said, the watercolor-ish stain on the green island francoise47 links to above points out another approach to precluding too harsh a look. I had been trying for the same washed look for accent cabinets in my kitchen, along the lines of the coral-red island in chinkle's finished kitchen. I was unable to figure out quickly whether that effect was achieved with milk paint or a stain or some other way, so I ended up going a different direction. Still, I think a washed-looking finish is a way to introduce some vibrant color while still keeping it soft.

I would go with your original vision to the point of painting a large piece of wallboard, cardboard or wood the color you envision for the island, then see how it looks in situ and adjust as needed.

Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Premier Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz Winner!