Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drkneff

Stainless Steel Appliances w/ Oil Rubbed Bronze Accents

drkneff
14 years ago

My husband and I are finally building the home of our dream and have selected Wolf/Sub-Zero Stainless Steel kitchen appliances as well as Christopher Peacock white cabinetry with a dark brown walnut island in the middle. Our counter-tops are granite that look very similar to carrara marble with a few hints of gold and brown throughout. Throughout our whole home we have selected oil-rubbed bronze fixtures (sink faucets, door knobs, etc) but when it comes to the kitchen we are at a standstill.

We are trying to decided on oil-rubbed as our kitchen hardware to tie into the rest of our home or brushed nickel to match our appliances and set of the richness in the dark brown of our island.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Dr. N

Comments (14)

• rj56
    14 years ago

A while back I looked at a kitchen featured in a decorating magazine. The owner had a copper faucet and a stainless sink. I was a little surprised, however, we used to only have one choice-chrome, and that was put on all sinks no matter the material. So, I guess it's whatever makes you happy!

• nicoles747
    14 years ago

Funny, I posted almost the same question on Saturday. My husband and I just bought a new home and we are completely renovating the kitchen. We will have cherry cabinets with oil rubbed bronze hardware. We also have the wolf range/double oven and a stainless Franke sink. I want to put an ORB faucet and pot filler but I am scared it will look odd against the stainless. Most people seem to think it will look fine. I still have not made my final decision but I am leaning towards ORB. Question where did you get your ORB light fixtures, faucets etc.? I found door knobs that I like but am having some problems finding lighting. Good luck!

• jrueter
    14 years ago

I also went through the same process (white cabs, dark wood island, SS appliances, but I have a dark granite). Spent hours trying to decide what to do about cabinet hardware, faucet and lighting. Trolled through all my magazine inspiration pictures, the FKB and as many contractor galleries as I could find. There are plenty with SN and nearly as many ORB and a few with something totally different. Lots of kitchens mixed finishes (gasp!). I think either SN or ORB will be fabulous if the style fits with the rest of the kitchen and if you choose to stick to one finish or put ORB on the white cabs and SN on the dark that can look amazing too and might work to tie everything together without feeling too "matchy". I eventually picked ORB for the cabinets because I loved the look and stainless for the faucet because I liked the way it was highlighted by the dark granite.

• cali_wendy
    14 years ago

I think both options would be lovely with your white cabinetry and your walnut island. For me, the brushed nickel hardware evokes a slightly more glamorous and elegant look, like jewelry, whereas the ORB seems a tad more casual. I suppose it depends on the look you are going for.

You can also decide to do ORB cabinet hardware and a brushed nickel faucet.

My kitchen has creamy white cabinetry, Barcelona finish (almost like ORB, but slightly more brown) on the cabinet hardware, ORB hardware on the windows and French doors (consistent throughout house), mostly paneled appliances except SS cooktop, oven and Advantium, and a satin nickel faucet.

• drkneff
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you so much everyone! I've been leaning more toward the ORB look to tie-in the kitchen with the rest of our home but started to question my decision when our cabinet designer came through with our final mock-up. There is no do doubt in my mind that ORB will look wonderful on our white cabinetry I'm only concerned with the hardware blending in to our dark island and clashing with our appliances. However, I did find on the Sub-Zero/Wolf website photos where the hardware and appliances don't match so apparently it's not that out-of-the norm.

In response to nicoles747: We bought our bathroom and kitchen faucets and lighting fixtures from http://showhouse.moen.com/ (we will have the Waterhill collection throughout the house) and our other lighting throughout the home from Ferguson showrooms (their website has a showroom locater if you are interested). Hope that helps!

Thank you again,

Dr. N

• riverspots
    14 years ago

Stainless and brushed nickel can vary in appearance from one brand to another. I find the almost-but-not-quite-the-same look to clash more than colors meant to be different.

• chopper123
    13 years ago

I, too, am having this problem. Our cabinets are on order, yeah, antique white with a glaze and medium color hickory cabinets on the island. Have looked at granite and are set on a cream/brown wavy one(can't think of the name). Plan on using cup pulls and knobs with a small detail around the edge. We are having quite a few drawers so lots of pulls.

Our appliances are SS have a white not brite white farm house sink and a stainless faucet.

I do agree that ORB would look great on the white cabinets. How about the hickory cabinets? What about light fixtures? Plan on having pendants over the island.

Our dining room is connected. Tearing down the wall that seperates the 2 rooms-making the kitchen larger. I mention this because should the light fixture match the kitchens light fixtures, in style and in metal finish?

The more I ponder this the more confused I get. Can't wait to work on ideas for a backsplash. ;-)

Thanks for your help and input,
    norma

• chopper123
    13 years ago

A not so shameful bump!
    norma

• jaimebbc
    13 years ago

We had trouble deciding this as well, but knew we wanted to go with the commercial stove, which are only SN but our cabs looked so great with the ORB hardware, a dilemma. We finally decided on ORB knobs and pulls and lighting, and went with SN for everything else, even the faucet and sink. It ended up looking really nice, I think my DH is going to post up pics when it is fully complete, soon I hope.

• chopper123
    13 years ago

Would love to see your pics,jaimebbc.

• cwaguespack
    9 years ago

I too have Wolf stainless. I have a French Country house and kitchen. I love oiled bronze, and I love copper, but decided French Country calls for wrought iron. The wrought iron goes GREAT with the stainless. If I wasn't going French Country, maybe another mix might work well, but too many different metals just seem to clash too much. Because the Wolf range/oven has those lovely red knobs, I went with some other red touches (Roosters are French Country, after all). The cream / stainless / wrought iron / red touches is lovely, and the black touches on the Wolf stove (which is the centerpiece of the back wall) also work very well with the wrought iron. Of course, I was born in New Orleans where wrought iron is art work, so I just wanted to pass the wrought iron idea along since I didn't see anyone else talking about it.

• marcolo
    9 years ago

One hopes the appliances have already been delivered since it's now four years later.

• scrappy25
    9 years ago

This is my favorite GW kitchen with stainless appliances and ORB hardware.

Here is a link that might be useful: jbrodie's creamy white with soapstone