Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jbrodie_gw

99% Finished Kitchen--creamy white w/soapstone

jbrodie
15 years ago

Finally! Our kitchen is finished! I never thought the day would come, and boy am I enjoying it. I owe so much to this forum. I can't tell you how much you all helped me. Thank you!!! I hope I can help others in return.

Hope I'm not putting too many pictures!

Quick description (feel free to contact me if you have questions)

-Soapstone: Julia

-Cabinets: Custom, inset/flush shaker style with single bead (waiting to see if we get some issues resolved before I recommend the cabinet maker)

-Bookcase and desk tops: walnut

-Sharp microwave oven drawer (love it!)

-GE fridge

-Shaw 30 inch apron sink

-Wolf range top

-Thermador double ovens

-Vent-a-hood hood

-Dal tile

-potfiller: Newport Brass

-hot/cold faucet Newport Brass

-Main faucet: Mico

-Door to garage: one panel painted with chalkboard paint...fun! The kids love this and it's fun to put messages to guests, each other, holiday wishes, etc.

-Pull out baskets (love these...I keep bread in one and potatoes, onions, etc. in the other)

-Wine shelf--love it!

-Bar stools from Sturbridge Yankee Workshop (love these and they were so reasonable!)

-What would I do differently? More than 12 inch overhang on seating area of island (maybe 14-16 inch). And I might skip the bead board in the backs of the bookshelfs and glass cabs.

Happy kitchen designing to all! Thank you again!

Comments (156)

• twogirlsbigtrouble
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Thank you SO much for that info! This is exactly the type of table I want for all of the reasons you stated. Its rustic, its forgiving and to me its a timeless look. Ive thought about antiquing, but that could be a long process. I live in Ohio, so I'll have to check with them and see if they could ship to me. Thanks!

• timber.j
    15 years ago

Beautiful kitchen! Love the soapstone!
    I keep wishing I could zoom in on the cookbook titles; you have one of my favorites, the King Arthur Whole Grain Baking. Do you work with wool (the "Welcome Woolies" on your chalkboard has me curious)?
    Is your cute puppy a goldendoodle?

• jbrodie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Good call! Yes, she is a goldendoodle (a mini). She's taken to digging in that rug and the yarn is coming out in big clumps! Argh!

The "Welcome Woolies" was to welcome our friends who were coming for a visit. That's our nickname for them.

I too, love the King Arthur Whole Grain book. Have you tried the lemon oat squares? Yum!

• timber.j
    15 years ago

If (when?) we ever finish remodeling, I will probably have to let my kids get a dog; for now, we dogsit my sister's goldendoodle when they are out of town. Nice family dogs!
    Lemon oat squares sound YUMMY! My kids make the Nutty for Oats cookies fairly often.

BTW, thanks for posting all the tips on choosing soapstone. I need to find a supplier in my area. Dh is still considering doing it himself, but we need to compare prices both ways. Time vs. money...never quite enough of either...

• jbrodie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

twogirlsbigtrouble: Here are two other places I considered for farmhouse tables if Harvest doesn't ship (or it's cost prohibitive).

http://www.cottagehomemaine.com/tables_chairs.html

http://www.thewoodenduck.com/v2/home.html

• lesmis
    15 years ago

I have a question about your trim around all of your windows and doors. Could you tell me what they used to create the window trim around your sink window? How many pieces were used to build it up?

What width is it on the sides, top and bottom and what kind of piece is on the very top (just a eased edge or slight bullnose)? I have shown my carpenter pictures and he just isn't getting it, or maybe I'm just not explaining it correctly. He keeps saying that he thinks I will want a piece with a profile (like a mini crown molding) at the very top, but I just want something very simple!! I love yours, and I'm using the same cove molding for my crown! :)
    Thanks so much for your help!

Kat

• suzienj
    15 years ago

I'm in love with your kitchen- soooo beautiful!! CONGRATS

• kamla
    15 years ago

Congratulations on a beautiful kitchen. Your house looks great. If I may ask, where did you get that lovely chair in the family room?

• crazyhouse6
    15 years ago

Wow! I must admit that I hadn't looked at this post earlier because normally I'm just not much of a "creamy white w/ soapstone" type of person, but you have convinced me otherwise. Your kitchen is spectacular! Congratulations and enjoy your home!

• lvmy4kds
    15 years ago

I love your kitchen! Will you be posting it on the finished kitchen blog?

• buddyrose
    15 years ago

Simply gorgeous. It almost made me want soapstone but I ended up going with Sapphire Blue granite.

I have a suggestion for the space between where the sconces will be: have a painting made! I had a custom made painting for above my sofa in my Co-op. I picked a painter I loved, Tony LaSalle, gave him the dimensions I wanted, colors I loved and didn't love. Told him I basically wanted a field of poppies since I have a red sofa and now have an original piece of art. Cost me a little under $900.

• mrsmonkey
    15 years ago

JBrodie, I have to say that your kitchen has become my inspiration. I have it marked in my favourites and everytime I meet with my KD or architect, I show them your kitchen and say "THIS is the look I am going for". It is, without a doubt, the most stunning room I have ever seen. You have some serious talent. I am sourcing out your pendants and your island chairs right now:)

Thanks so much for sharing it with us!

• Susan
    15 years ago

JBrodie, Your gorgeous kitchen is one of the most stunning that I have seen. Thank you for providing so many useful details about it. I don't think anyone has asked this question yet: who makes your beautiful sectional and where did you buy it?

• elizpiz
    15 years ago

bump

• pluckymama
    14 years ago

Julie,
    How do you like your Newport Brass hot/cold water faucet? Are you glad you went w/both hot and cold vs. just hot?

• elizpiz
    14 years ago

This thread got "lost" when GW had a breakdown a couple of weeks ago. Hoping that by replying I can bump it back into circulation - it's such a great kitchen!

• jbrodie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Newport Brass--I love the instant hot! The handle for the hot is very tight and you have to work a little to turn it. I think it's a safety feature so children won't get burned. We still haven't gotten a filter, so we haven't used the cold yet, but I think it will be nice to have. I'm glad you reminded me I need to get that!

Sofa--From Eclectic Essentials. It's the kind of place that doesn't have a store front. The sofa was custom and cost less (though shipping was more) than the one we were considering at Crate and Barrel, and I think it's better quality. We love it! We also have a custom media cabinet/bookcases coming from them. We've had some trouble with that piece, but hopefully it will be resolved soon. http://www.eclecticessentials.com/ Leslie was my contact and she's great. Let her know that I sent you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Eclectic Essentials

• beesterg
    14 years ago

I love your kitchen. I'm trying to pick out creamy subway tile and I'm having a tough time. My cabinets are painted Lancaster Whitewash by BM. They have sort of greenish undertones. Most of the cream subways have pinkish undertones. How much were the Daltile crackle subway tiles? Do you still have an extra box? They look like a nice neutral color.

• donka
    14 years ago

jbrodie, I've printed out a picture of your kitchen and handed it to my contractor and said, "This is THE look I'm going for." I absolutely love it. It's officially my inspiration kitchen :) I know it's been a while since you first posted, but could you let me know the size of your pulls on your wider drawers?

I'm looking at Restoration hardware and they have a 3", 4", 6", 8", 10" and 12". It looks like your wider drawers might have the 6" or 8"? It's hard to tell in pictures, but they look like the perfect size!

I also wanted to gush enthusiastically about your design! Your kitchen is by far the one that I've seen that I love the most. I have this thread open in a tab in my browser almost constantly while sourcing out items. I LOVE it. You should be very proud! I hope you're still loving using it as much as I love looking at it!!!

• remodelqueen
    14 years ago

Beautiful kitchen. I'd also like to know the sizes (and name) of your bin pulls. :)

• jessicaleigh
    14 years ago

I, too, LOVE/ADORE this kitchen!!!!

I've had it up in my tabs since it was posted!!

I would love to know the size of the pulls as well!!!!!

You've done an awesome job!!!

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

I love your kitchen with the various shades of brown and creamy white with all the different textures and so much light. The hardware is fabulous and that stain on your floors is perfect with your other choices. Thanks for sharing.

• atlbeardie
    14 years ago

Gosh, how'd I miss this?! Thanks to Elizpiz for resurrecting the thread. Absolutely stunning! One of the best, if not THE best that I've seen.
    BTW, I think you even out-did your "inspiration kitchen"!

• labradoodlemom
    14 years ago

Eliz,
    Thanks for reposting this! I had all of jbrodie's pictures saved but for some reason never saved them as her username! So, I didn't know whose they were! I love coming back to these pictures!

Jbrodie,
    Any chance you could post the model and size of your restoration hardware pulls and knobs? I would love to see exactly which ones you have! :-) TIA!!!!

• scootermom
    14 years ago

I just love your kitchen and the layout. Do you happen to have a drawing of the layout of your kitchen and surrounding areas handy that you wouldn't mind sharing? I think your house is bigger than ours and we have slightly different needs, but I'd love to try to mock up something similar for us.

Thanks,
    Chris

• shelayne
    14 years ago

I somehow missed this the first time around. :^(

BUT, now I see how absolutely spectacular it is! Really, really beautiful. I bet you just grin ear-to-ear everytime you even just pass by it! Congrats and enjoy!

Great pictures, too!

• catkin
    14 years ago

It's just loverly.

• judydel
    14 years ago

I love love love your kitchen. Perfectly perfect.

Where did you buy that simply gorgeous chandelier?

• desertsteph
    14 years ago

wow - I guess i missed this also. will have to go to the top and go thru each post... and save some pics to my idea folders for sure!

• desertsteph
    14 years ago

well - wow again! loooove the coffee cup! and the hound round (which I'm sure I can't afford but have a friend who could...and would for his dogs. they have their own a/c'd 'house' with raised bed and picture window). Would love it for my 'kids' tho. The dogs playing was such fun to watch - am passing link on to a few dog loving friends. Those dogs sure are active little critters.

will have to go back to the site and check out more pottery. and yes, I see there's a background going on in the pulling together of your beautiful kitchen!

• starpooh
    14 years ago

Beautiful and classic!
    Definitely a kitchen many will want to emulate.

May I archive it in the Finished Kitchens Blog?
    If so please submit the FKB Category Checklist.
    Thank you!

Here is a link that might be useful: Finished Kitchens Category Checklist

• cookie08
    14 years ago

Simply gorgeous!

• janicecarolyn
    14 years ago

As everyone has already said, your kitchen is amazing!!! It's my inspiration kitchen as well! I plan on doing something similiar. I wish I could do inset doors like you have. I LOVE that look in your kitchen. It flows and it's warm and I too want to come for coffee. Your dog is adorable? Okay I hope? Is it a goldendoodle? Okay - I don't think I'm supposed to ask that in the kitchen forum. My question is about the refrigerater. Does the icemaker work? I can't wrap my head around how the ice goes up... but I am looking at one w/ the same configuration w/ out the ice maker. I really want the icemaker. We have all new GE profile appliances we are re using except the refrig. (they came w/ house) We just moved into this house and I get to redo the kitchen. (much needed!) So I've been wanting a white kitchen w/ blackish counters and your kitchen serves as the perfect place to search ideas. I do love your taste! I only hope I can use it to bring out the best in my taste. I'm so nervous. Also since you had yours painted will you get the hairline cracks? Probably not very noticeable w/ inset cabinets, like it I would have full overlay. But I shouldn't let that stop me right?

• susanlynn2012
    13 years ago

I had to look again at your amazing beautiful kitchen.

Can you give me some information on your recessed lighting since I am sure now that I am removing that outdated fluorescent light on my kitchen ceiling. I spoke with the electrician today that fixed the breaker switch going into my building and he told me to call him after my busy season ends. What size cans did you use and please give me information on the bulb used.

BM Aura Acadia paint on your cabinets you mention but what gloss level? I am still not sure if I am going to just paint my cabinets white or get new doors on them and go with Cherry. I love both looks but I prefer white doors to have the beautiful crown molding and be the style of your gorgeous cabinets.

By the way I love your chalkboard door!

• aokat15
    13 years ago

jbrodie - if you're still around... would you mind sharing the dimensions of the bookshelf next to the oven? Is that 12" deep? Thanks!!

• babushka_cat
    13 years ago

hi -

i also live in the SF Bay area and am desperate for a good general contractor. do you recommend yours and if so, can you provide me his/her name and contact info? i have contacted 6 so far with no luck!

• jbrodie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh my, I think it's been about a year since I've been on here! Just happened by while looking for a solution to some spots of soapstone cloudiness.

For person looking for a contractor: Where are you located? We LOVED our contractor, but he only works in Redwood City and other cities very close by...like San Carlos, Menlo Park, etc. If you are close by I can give you his contact info.

And for the gal with the question about the bookshelf, yes it is 12 inches deep.

Glad to see this forum is still going strong!

• babushka_cat
    13 years ago

Reply re: contractor - I am in the east bay. Would love to at least give it a try with him to see if he might consider it....am desperate for a good contractor!

• babushka_cat
    13 years ago

also looking for good cabinetmaker. let me know how you now feel about yours.

• willowdecor
    13 years ago

So stunning!! I just love it!! It is classic, but sophisticated. A really wonderful job!! The soapstone is beautiful, the paint color is wonderful!! I love the stools - am I gushing??? Really great job!! I am thrilled for you!!
    xx-Willow

• cawfeegirl
    13 years ago

Wow. Just wow. So beautiful and homey and cozy and elegant and classic and I could go on and on!! Nice job!

• rebeccagardener
    13 years ago

I found your beautiful kitchen while I was researching kitchens with soapstone. Have you had any issues with the grout between your soapstone and tile staining or looking dirty. My installer wants us to put a soapstone backsplash in next to the counter and we like the look of white tile backsplash only.
    Also, my husband isn't partial to green but loves the look of your kitchen. He wants a contrasting look- kind of black and white. Does your stone appear green in your normal kitchen light? We have looked at Julia and thought it gorgeous, but maybe too green?
    We haven't settled 100% on our stone yet.
    Thanks for sharing so much information. You have the perfect kitchen!

• tkingny
    13 years ago

Your kitchen is gorgeous!! I think it might be my favorite kitchen yet. Congrats!

• jenma
    13 years ago

jbrodie- Why did you decide against a prep sink on your island?

• katherinestewart
    8 years ago

Beautiful, cozy, elegant! My black soapstone just came in. My cabinets are a very light maple shaker style. Appliances all Stainless steal. I will have an island. It's time to paint my newly sheet rocked walls. I'm leaning toward white with a different white for trim and ceilings but there are so many whites I can't decide. I am worried about making it too cold and sterile. Also thinking of a very slight gray perhaps on one walls. The kitchen has decent light but not great. The entry near sliding door has raja slate. I do not have high ceilings but they are 11 ft. It is not completely open to living room but partially open to dining room. Backsplash will be white sub tile. Any suggestions for paint color. We like clean, crisp, minimalist looks with straight lines but also cozy. Thanks for any suggestions!

• katherinestewart
    8 years ago

White is the color and brand of your creamy white? Thanks

• catbuilder
    8 years ago

Umm, this post is 6 years old. And the color and brand of paint was listed above.

• Chris Cipriano
    5 years ago

Is dining room a different color then the two colors you mentioned?

• K R
    5 years ago
    Absolutely warm and inviting! Love the wine shelf, and love the use of mixed pulls. I wasn’t so sure I wanted to do that but now after seeing yours I definitely do! Love the way the cup pulls look.
  • Dana
    3 years ago

Beautiful!!

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz