Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
breezygirl_gw

Will my kitchen be special, unique, memorable?

breezygirl
13 years ago

I've been asking myself this question a lot lately, especially after Palimpsest's thread about context. My house has no style other than boring; it's a one-story rambler with low ceilings.

There are so many kitchens here with tall ceilings, inset cabs, stacked cabs, and a sense of age. They ooze character. I bookmark them all to live vicariously through the pictures. Then there are kitchens that have something different about them that makes them interesting. Among the many are:

Bee with the arabesque backsplash

Pirula with the cherry counters

Cali_Wendy with the windows

Sharb with the pantry chandy

Sochi with the totally mod style and quartzite

First_house with the stunning quartzite and the paper towel holder

The towel pig--I'm not sure whose kitchen that is

Cat_mom with the b.s. behind the range

Rhome with the mixed finishes

Sajimata with the unique layout and clocks

Shanghimom with the pass thru at the range

Katieob with the hood

Brickmanhouse with the fireplace

Plllog with the custom tile scheme

Alabamamommy with the walnut accents and island tops/legs

Honeychurch with the different colored cabs

etc, etc...

I want to give my new kitchen some style, something that will make it uniquely memorable. I don't want to have spent tens of thousands of dollars and be left with just a new kitchen that doesn't have any character. I'm planning cabs all white and Carrara for at least the perimeter and peninsula. The island top is still questionable. The dining room will have a large, quartersawn oak, antique table.

I would love to do island legs like Alabamamommy, but I wonder if it would work with my island layout and small space. I like the idea of a walnut top on my island, but I have the prep sink in it.

I have been toying with bringing in some walnut accents in my cabs like Alabamamommy, but how would that work if I can't do a walnut island top?

Here's my range hood. Is this memorable?

My island banquette will be vaguely similar to this except the bench will be a single, not an L shape and will be made like a restaurant bench with upholstered back and seat. Will that be memorable?

I've been so focused on creating a functional layout and the other house reno issues that I haven't stopped to consider the overall visual effect of the kitchen. Suggestions??

Comments (118)

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Breezy- Just a few more pictures...this one, I'd say embrace the flat ceiling and make the most of it! Don't you love that thick marble on the island?

{{gwi:1794301}}

Nice white, walnut and marble kitchen...what do you think of all the X's?

{{gwi:1803189}}

{{gwi:1803190}}

Okay, this is more my style, with the blue, but I thought I'd add a little color :)

{{gwi:1803191}}

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

This kind of reminded me of your bathroom tile...what do you think? Link below :)

{{gwi:1803192}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to tile

• marcolo
    13 years ago

I think focusing on fabric may be a great start. I think a lot of people ignore them. Folks end up with no window treatments because they like the view, get open backed barstools, wooden tables, etc. and fabric may be confined to a small throw rug. In my mind, every residential space needs fabric--even the bathroom.

I also wanted to point out that the inimitable boxerpups has posted some cool new backsplash pics you may want to look at here.?

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

I was actually looking for pictures for my kitchen, but found this and thought you might want to see it. While it's a peninsula, instead of an island, it might give you a few ideas :)

Marcolo- Great advice...fabric is a wonderful place to start and thanks for the link! I don't know how I missed it.

{{gwi:1803193}}

• beekeeperswife
    13 years ago

Lavender-lass: my backsplash! I followed the link-hadn't seen it posted there before! Did you know it was my kitchen? That was funny,

Bee

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

Okay, I need a definition. What makes a room (kitchen) "special" "unique" "memorable" with "pizzazz, personality, and sparkle"? How will you know when you've succeeded?

In the photos above, besides the X's, what else makes these white kitchens distinctive?

Marcolo, when you differentiate between a white kitchen and a "boring white kitchen," from whose perspective is the decision as to the boring part--the owner? the visitor? the GW? the people of the future? Not intending to be catty here but I am a bit mystified. Who is judging? And BreezyGirl, who are you trying to please?

• sallysue_2010
    13 years ago

Breezy -- really touched by your SAHM post. It probably goes without saying, but "context" involves more than the physical style and layout of the house. I got "into" my house when my nest got empty, I still cannot believe how little I noticed my home environment when I was a SAHM for ten years, but I really never cared. My house was more like a preschool - I tacked kid stuff up on the walls, my fridge was completely covered with their pictures, I taped poems and quotes on the cabinets, I bought Tupperware cups and Corning dishes and never thought twice about what they looked like.

For me, that was life with kids. Kids don't have to define your space in the same way, I liked that stuff and so I did it for me too. And maybe that is the point - you are charming and funny, that shines in your posts. So let your kitchen reflect what you like and it will be, by default, special, unique and memorable.

This process reminds me of deciding whom to date, when/if to have sex, get married, have kids,etc. Some logical decisions have to be made, but the best results come when you don't overthink :)

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Bee- That's your backsplash? That's so cool! Did you know the tile place is using your picture? It is so pretty...and I think it makes a dramatic, but very classy statement! :)

• blfenton
    13 years ago

Florantha: good question for everyone here. I was thinking about Breezy with her marble counters earlier. For many people on this forum that is normal and perhaps expected but IRL it would probably be unusual. We are so spoiled by the degree of knowledge, design ideas, DIY talents, and to a certain extent sophistication wrt kitchens that perhaps we get a little complacent as to what is special.
    Are we setting the bar too high for people?
    Earlier in this post johnliu mentioned some items that he suggested might be unusual in a kitchen - I have some of those items courtesy of my KD's suggestions but I still think I have a visually uninteresting kitchen. So then - by whose standards is your kitchen interesting. Those on this forum or those not on this forum.
    Not only how will you know that you have succeeded in making a special, or unique kitchen, but how do you prevent yourself from going too far and winding up with a mishmash of ideas that have no cohesion to them.
    I like something about every kitchen that is posted and try to mention that which I find to be interesting. Does that mean that they have succeeded in their design? (could also mean I have poor taste or a poor eye for design) It doesn't necessarily mean that I want that kitchen but it does mean that I can appreciate what they have done.
    We are all unique in what we want from a kitchen (or any room in our homes) whether it be "plain" or full of frou-frous and I don;t think anyone can answer completely for us. Give suggestions if asked - certainly. But if you are unsure of a direction in design and looks, stepping back might be the best option.

• harrimann
    13 years ago

blfenton - I agree that we have high standards here about what is interesting or memorable in a kitchen. I've been lurking here for a few years, and I remember when my in-laws did a kitchen renovation and they were showing me all the incredibly unique things their genius KD had suggested. By GW standards, everything was very standard and not in the least bit unique. (Of course, I acted like I was in awe.) I think we all know too much and this has made us harder to impress.

• John Liu
    13 years ago

I do not have the sense that breezygirl is worried about impressing GW or her neighbors. My sense is that she senses that something may be lacking in her kitchen, by her own standards. It may not express her own personality and interests, it may be looking in her mind's eye too much like other white+marble+shaker kitchens, or ??? Just speculating - I look forward to seeing some of her ideas.

• marcolo
    13 years ago

Marcolo, when you differentiate between a white kitchen and a "boring white kitchen," from whose perspective is the decision as to the boring part--the owner? the visitor? the GW? the people of the future? Not intending to be catty here but I am a bit mystified. Who is judging? And BreezyGirl, who are you trying to please?

florantha, I've seen more than one white kitchen forced into boring by this very forum. Remember, I've been here awhile; I had several regrettably unsuccessful house purchase attempts, followed by one regrettably successful house purchase attempt; followed by everything short of an alien invasion to delay my reno. Oops, I probably shouldn't have mentioned the aliens; now their six ears are burning.

Anyway, I've seen it happen to more than one poster in my grizzled time here. One in particular wanted to play with a more rustic, stony backsplash against her white Shakers. I thought it looked sharp, like jeans with a blazer. But suddenly she was swarmed by flying monkeys who descended in a cloud to punish this heretical breach, this abominable sin against the One True Kitchen. No! You must do white subways, they're timeless, don't be trendy! (Sharp intake of breath, clutching of pearls.) Oh no, I don't think that will go at all. "But," she protested weakly, her will buckling, "I want something with a little more pizzaz. A little different." No!, they shrieked, fearful they were losing the argument. You must think how terrible that backsplash will be to clean. And what if it chips? It looks sharp, you could cut yourself!! In the end, she surrendered, with notable sadness. Sure, the homeowner didn't like the result, but so what? The heretical ideas were expunged.

This does happen here. I've seen it, so I'm not really up for arguments that it doesn't. Overruled. It does.

So when does a white kitchen become boring? Face it; white shakers, white marble and wood floors are not original. Something else needs to be. Maybe it's already there in breezy's kitchen, maybe not. I think she should play with it a while.

And to answer your question: yes, I have the right to judge things I see as boring or interesting. Of course I do; to suggest otherwise is just silly.

But what really makes a kitchen boring is when its owner thinks it is. In kitchens like that, the fear and defeat ooze out of every subway tile.

• plllog
    13 years ago

In my mind, every residential space needs fabric--even the bathroom.

ROTFLOL!!!! Marcolo, my life is in fabric, but there isn't any in my kitchen, except on the chairs, placemats and towels, none of which is a design element. I agree that fabric is a great way to introduce life into a space, but it's not always functional in a working kitchen. I put wood blinds in my old kitchen, and just divided lights in the new one. I think in the working parts of most kitchens you wonn't see a lot of fabric. In open kitchens, ones with separate eating areas, etc., there are more opportunities for fabric that don't impede function.

Of course, I've made up for the lack of fabric in my kitchen with rich textures and "brocade" tile. :)

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Marcolo- LOL! Flying monkeys? That's harsh, but too funny...great visual.

Long live individual tastes...and no one should be afraid to do what they want and know they will love, in their own space. It's great to get ideas, opinions, and a lot of good advice, but in the end, listen to the only voice that matters...your own :)

• John Liu
    13 years ago

Leather is cool. Not seen that often in kitchens. Certainly not on walls.

Need more open wall for this

The red makes the white whiter
    {{gwi:1803196}}

Ditto the black

• John Liu
    13 years ago

Finally, I found this picture of plllog and her car :-) Maybe a bit too close to orange shag, but we have to define the boundaries, do we not?

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I got to briefly scan some of the posts you guys made since my last during the afternoon of sibling bickering, but didn't get a chance to respond. I've been stewing over this all day, and I planned on diving back into this after the kids went to sleep. With DH on a business trip, my 5-y.o. asked to sleep in my bed with me. We laid down at 8:15 and I wake up at 1:07a.m. There goes my kitchen planning time. But since I haven't seen the early side of 1a.m. in many weeks, I needed the sleep.

After giving the cat his medicine, I'm going back to bed now without even running the DW. GASP! I just wanted to give a brief response.

Fabric? LOVE! Thanks for the great suggestion Chris. I like some of the pretty ones sprinkled in some of Lavender's images.

Who am I doing this for? Me, mostly. John hit the nail smack in the head on that one. I'm my toughest critic so if I'm not happy with the final result of the whole house, I'll kick myself for the next 40 years I plan on spending in it. Sure, I want others to like it too, both friends, family, and all of you here who have so generously and thoughtfully provided assistance to a complete stranger and idiot who couldn't understand the work flow in a kitchen when I started. But I don't care that my friends and family who've heard about my white cabs and marble think I'm off my rocker. They please my soul. You guys understand that love.

I lounge around all day at home in sweat pants and wool socks, but I'm a black dress and pearls kinda gal when I dress up. I don't overdo the accessories or go wild color. But what I like with that is an unexpected shoe, something with an odd heal, unique strap, chunky stones, textural material, or interesting clasp to make that dress MINE. Does that help figure out who I am?

Marcolo--I'm sure I've been in that swarm of flying monkeys. It's the practical side of me if it involved cleaning issues. I usually give my opinion caveated with my taste and tell them to do what they like. I'll be more open minded.

Lavender--LOL on posting Bee's backsplash that I mentioned in my first post! See how memorable it is? You found it out on the web. I LOVE that tile.

Lots of other very interesting discussion going on. I'm taking it all in and processing. Getting more sleep now will help tremendously. See you Friday.

• aliris19
    13 years ago

"...how to infuse some pizzazz, personality, and sparkle in my tasteful and elegant white cabbed and marbled kitchen."

I agree that it is likely *you* who will infuse the pizzazz and personality. These are human traits, not tiled ones. When you make a space that conforms to your needs and taste, this should allow your pizzazz to sparkle out; it won't clash with you.

I think you're just too much in the middle of it, too infused with the slow evolution of all the ideas to have any idea of whether there is pizzazz or sparkle. You might be right and there isn't; but if there were I would completely expect that you could not detect it at this stage anyway. I think your only recourse is to go with the stuff that makes you feel sparkley and full of pizzazz; what it looks like is something you may need to wait to gain some perspective on.

• beekeeperswife
    13 years ago

LL-yes, I know it's on Misssion Stone & Tile's site. I won the tile and the deal was photos & advertising in exchange. I just hadn't seen it on that website.

I'll have to let them know.

-Bee

• sayde
    13 years ago

I think perhaps it just takes time -- time to find the things that you love, that mean something to you. Perhaps it is unrealistic to expect the kitchen to be really personal and uniquely yours on the day you first move in. It sounds like you are starting with a wonderful foundation -- give yourself some time to discover for yourself what will make it feel yours, and some time to build your history of life lived in the space. I also agree that we have high expectations around here -- but I think that is a good thing.

• SusieQusie60
    13 years ago

I apologize at the end of this post, and I'll apologize at the beginning too. This has been bugging me for awhile and since we're talking about "boring" and people's opinions and listening to the GW masses, here I go:

I've been reading this thread with interest, and have started to write several times. I chicken out each time. But -

I have to go with florantha: "Marcolo, when you differentiate between a white kitchen and a "boring white kitchen," from whose perspective is the decision as to the boring part--the owner? the visitor? the GW? the people of the future? Not intending to be catty here but I am a bit mystified. Who is judging? And BreezyGirl, who are you trying to please?"

The real reason this caught my eye (I have to admit) is because florantha was addressing Marcolo. Remember when I asked about my admittedly unusual layout - I personally really want an island or peninsula in my breakfast room. It didn't receive great reaction here, and Marcolo was particularly "harsh" with words like "stupid" and descriptions like "throwing myself on the floor crying." Yes - I know it's a particular writing style, but still. Now the reason I'm questioning here is because this strong opinion on my layout was obviously based on Marcolo's personal taste, what was usually done, and how it would look to people coming in to my kitchen. Take this as: it's not done, don't do it. Now, fast forward to this thread - asking how to make a kitchen memorable and special, and I read this:

From Marcolo: Anyway, I've seen it happen to more than one poster in my grizzled time here. One in particular wanted to play with a more rustic, stony backsplash against her white Shakers. I thought it looked sharp, like jeans with a blazer. But suddenly she was swarmed by flying monkeys who descended in a cloud to punish this heretical breach, this abominable sin against the One True Kitchen. No! You must do white subways, they're timeless, don't be trendy! (Sharp intake of breath, clutching of pearls.) Oh no, I don't think that will go at all. "But," she protested weakly, her will buckling, "I want something with a little more pizzaz. A little different." No!, they shrieked, fearful they were losing the argument. You must think how terrible that backsplash will be to clean. And what if it chips? It looks sharp, you could cut yourself!! In the end, she surrendered, with notable sadness. Sure, the homeowner didn't like the result, but so what? The heretical ideas were expunged.

People were offering their opinion above, but they were a "pack of flying monkeys" Why wasn't it a pack of flying monkeys commenting on my "different" and maybe not the most accepted ideal/layout? I'm not saying all of this to complain about how my layout was received (I got fantastic ideas and I really did want to hear what people said - it caused me to rethink a few different things.) I'm not saying all this to attack Marcolo (obviously a very respected poster here.) I'm just trying to say that almost everything written in this forum is composed of people's OPINIONS.

And Marcolo, when you say this: And to answer your question: yes, I have the right to judge things I see as boring or interesting. Of course I do; to suggest otherwise is just silly....

Of course you have the right to your opinion, but honestly, it is the "judging" part with which I disagree. People have to remember that you are judging based solely on your opinion. NOT stating fact. People don't mind opinions, but I don't think they like to be judged. At least I don't.

Breezy - I know how hard you're working on your kitchen and I KNOW when it's done it will be beautiful AND memorable. Something is probably going to come along in the process (not in your current plan) that's going to make it happen. Have I mentioned my newly-acquired, not even thought-about cathedral ceiling in the breakfast room? I'm pretty sure that's going to be a wow-factor that I truly wasn't planning on.

Now that I've probably sounded like a real b*t$h to Marcolo, I'll just apologize in advance and say that wasn't my intent. It's just that some people (newbies like me) read here and tend to take what is written as gospel. Again, I think it's fine to give opinions (that's what people are asking for) but not fine to judge. You are very strong in your opinions Marcolo, and if we put your excellent and funny writing style aside, you do tend to state those opinions as facts. (Please don't yell at me anyone....just giving MY opinion and some words of encourage to the OP!)

SQ

• beekeeperswife
    13 years ago

SQ--I am not going to "yell" at you. You do bring up interesting points.

But, I would hope that if someone is NOT finding the help they need here, they really should move on. If this place isn't someone's cup of tea--then they shouldn't stay. I think that when a topic generates a vast amount of opinions that is great. It gives the OP many different views, hopefully one will speak to them.

When it comes to a question about design--I might post a question about which paint color do you think works...but you know what? I'll take all the suggestions and look at them, but I probably in my heart already know what I'm going to do. It's my home, my space, and I know what's best in the end.

GW has helped me the most with more technical issues: appliance decisions, how-to questions. And offered so much moral support during rough times.

People count on GW to offer honest opinions. You can't get honest opinions from your friends or neighbors, they only tell you what they think you want to hear.

If we look back at Breezy's original question, she just wants to know what will make her kitchen "unique". Obviously, she wants something to be "special" in there. As I said in my post--once it starts coming together, there will be something that will be the "IT" factor. You might not know it now. In my kitchen, at first I thought it was going to be the Bianco Antico, then I thought, maybe the crystal chandeliers, and then I found that arabesque backsplash. And to this day--that is the first thing people comment on when they come in. It is very subtle and yet very elegant. It really tied all my pieces together.

And SQ--don't take ANYTHING written here as gospel. The only gospel you should listen to is what is in your heart. Only YOU know what is right for your space. This community is very knowledgeable in trends, what will hopefully be timeless, what does work, what doesn't work. But again, only the homeowner knows what's best for himself.

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

One of the most special, unique, memorable kitchen-to-dining room places I can recall is a tiny little space in a 1940s house in Phalen neighborhood of St Paul where my kids went to daycare in the 1980s. There were cribs or high chairs circling the dining room table, snack station on a scratched up old two-shelf painted metal shelf, toys, you get the picture. But...the owner had mounted very common dessert-sized 1930s-40s plates in a row marching all around the kitchen soffit and into the dining room. They were very decorative--faux 18th century romantic couples, flowers, animals, geometrics and pearly finish and more. The regularity of the mounting, the predictability, the order amid visual chaos was surprisingly riveting. And it brought the eye to the ceiling instead of the bare wood floor where the kids were.

She started with Grandma's plates then collected more. There were repeats amid the set--you could pick them out. And the more I try to cast my mind back, the more I think that she kept to a color scheme with near-poison green dominating.

Special unique memorable but perhaps not quite what you had in mind, but then maybe exactly what you had in mind, Breezy, but in another context.

I'm also a pearls girl and I'm the old silverplate collector. Am still groping about for my own special unique memorable touches and I understand the search. I think that it a Beekeeper photo (before her pro photographers arrived) that grabbed me after I first began reading here--it had a shined up silver service in the spot left of her range. I don't see this touch very often and along with the chandelier it captured my attention. I've begun looking for oversized plate hangers for my kitchen. If I can find ways to safely mount some assorted old silver trays to march around portions of the ceiling perimeter I think I might do it. I'm also the one who threatens to put a quilt on the wall and hang a framed piece over it. Or mount a sweet wooden hayfork, a surprisingly mod sculptural item in my oddball collection. All of these preposterous ideas come and go in my mind and it's damn fun. Don't be too ready to pounce. It will come. I cheer you on.

• wizardnm
    13 years ago

I am fascinated by all the responses on this thread. It shows the diversity of opinions.
    Each of the words in Breezy's title means something different to everyone. It's all in the eyes of the beholder and highly subjective.

Breezy, the best advice I see here is to step back. You have made your decisions on your personal likes and dislikes. That's good and will make your kitchen "special" to you.
    You will find your own "unique" touches in the finishing stages. I spent days and days looking for just the right pendants for the look and feeling that I wanted my kitchen to convey.....to me. Same with my cabinet pulls.

I have no idea as to what is "memorable". This may just be a poor choice of words. In the end you really are doing this kitchen for you. It's not a competition and there is no winner. Sure we all hope that our vision comes together and other's can see whatever it is we were going after but when you get to the finish line, it is only your kitchen and you are going to be living with your choices for a long time. Just make sure they are your choices and you'll be happy.

I have been posting on the Cooking Forum for many years and have lurked here for just about as many. I knew I would be gutting my kitchen eventually and I wanted to learn what I could. I see people get swept up in the collective knowledge here to the point where they are afraid to make a decision on their own. We are probably all TKO or we would be hanging around, available to help other's. I know that the few questions I asked during my remodel were answered and very helpful. You have to filter those responses though, in order to make your own decision. If you don't filter and if you ask too many questions, IMO you run the risk of getting totally confused. As they say, you can't please everyone!

Nancy

• SusieQusie60
    13 years ago

Beekeeper - I hope I didn't sound like I was really complaining about this site. That's definitely NOT what I wanted - I love it here!! I was trying to say that as a "newbie" and as someone who admittedly takes things a little too personally some times, it's easier to post if the responses are more about people's opinions and ideas, and maybe not so much of a judgement on whether something is definitively good or bad.

And, I think (again, hope) what I said in my one little paragraph addressed directly to the OP, is pretty much what you said here:

"As I said in my post--once it starts coming together, there will be something that will be the "IT" factor. You might not know it now."

If she wants something memorable and unique, I truly do think it will come to her and this is a super-fantastic place to come get ideas. And florantha, I love everything you describe in your last post and I so appreciate things like that because it gives me (and I'm sure many others) such wonderful ideas.

Thanks for not yelling at me....not that I really thought the GW folks were real "yellers." ;-]

• caryscott
    13 years ago

The discussion of the subjectivity of our opinions makes me think of the Judge played by Ana Gasteyer on The Good Wife who requires all lawyers to preface their statements with "in my opinion".

I think most folks are very clear about this but many of us (definitely me) sometimes relate our subjective opinions in objective ways. I would observe that this oversight is much more forgivable on Gardenweb when one is deriding OTR micros or resilient flooring than when someone is questioning the dominant aesthetic. In my opinion GW isn't really a context in which you want to make your design decisions (it's too contrived). We are very different people who have very disparate realities. What's unique and memorable in my neighbourhood is not the same as what is unique or memorable in Malibu or Manhattan. Factor in lifestyle and taste and you have to many disparate voices that don't know your actual context.

I think the Forum is a great place to find out if someone has done something you are thinking about doing (thankfully someone usually has), did it work out and can they show you a picture - folks are so generous and helpful in that regard. I thought the thread has been very interesting though I don't think I really understand what you are looking for (others did so that's all that matters).

I'm attaching a link to that Sarah 101 kitchen I mentioned in my earlier post.

Here is a link that might be useful: big box kitchen by Sarah Richardson

• sochi
    13 years ago

Caryscott - I had to laugh when I read your post - while I was reading this thread last night I though of that judge as well. You make a good point, and I think most of us realise that we all come from different realities (countries even), so are informed by what is around us. Our comments are clearly "in our opinion" only. Perhaps judge Amy is onto something - or perhaps it goes without saying??

Interesting kitchen from Sarah Richardson. It is the use of colour in some of the cabinets that makes this kitchen interesting and not run of the mill (in my opinion) :)

• cawaps
    13 years ago

Getting back to fabric in the kitchen...From a practical standpoint, consider using removeable cushions for the banquette(rather than attaching the fabric to the frame) and use slipcovers with a lauderable fabric. When your kid dumps his cereal bowl on it, or her mashed carrot, you zip it off and wash it. Even better, if you decide you don't like the color/pattern, it should be fairly easy to replace.

I haven't been on the boards in ages, and everything I know of your taste I got from this thread. So take this with a salt licks worth of salt.

However much I like johnliu's photos with the bright colors, I don't see them fitting in with your inspiration folders.

Texture on the other hand, either in tile, or window treatments, or upholstery I think could be very effective. The Kraftmaid tiles and Scottie Lee's tiles that Beekeeperswife posted, or Bee's own arabesque tiles pop without being gaudy (assuming they harmonize with the mood/era of the house). Or muted colors, like the chairs in the 3rd pic lavender lass posted (green leafy on an off-white background).

I also like the idea of the band of walnut under the marble on the island. It's one of those things that doesn't sound like a lot, but like racing stripes on a car, I think it would have a big impact, especially if you used wood elsewhere in the kitchen as an accent.

I think it is good to devote time to thinking about design and appearance but I would try to stop framing it as a question of "boring." I think fear of boring could lead you to take unnecessary risks. In trying to be too bold, you could end up with something that isn't "you."

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    13 years ago

"But what I like with that is an unexpected shoe, something with an odd heal, unique strap, chunky stones, textural material, or interesting clasp to make that dress MINE. Does that help figure out who I am?"

A few ideas that sprang to mind, breezy, just to give you an idea of how to translate what you do with your wardrobe so easily into what you can do in your kitchen : )

Becky

Odd heel (www.osbornewood.com/cabinet-and-furniture-feet.cfm):

From Apr 22, 2011

unique strap (I can't remember if this is where mtnrdredux got hers from, www.turnstyledesigns.com/cabinetknobs.asp):
    From Apr 22, 2011

chunky stones (www.bhg.com/bathroom/photo-gallery/bathroom-stone-and-tile-ideas):
    From Apr 22, 2011

textural material (http://newravenna.photoshelter.com/gallery/Kitchens/G0000AQyBGPljaag/P0000wXDcW0TFRUY):
    From Apr 22, 2011

interesting clasp (www.leevalley.com/en/hardware/page.aspx?cat=3,43520&p=43572):
    From Apr 22, 2011

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

I love Sarah Richardson designs...especially the farmhouse series! I know I've linked this before, but it really does apply here, IMHO. As her assistant Tommy points out at the end of the episode, the kitchen 'reads' as yellow, but the only yellow in the room is the island, the corbels, the yellow in the drapery fabric...and the yellow seat cushions, on the two chairs. It just shows how a well done accent color can infuse a space, without being overwhelming :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to farmhouse kitchen

13 years ago

Florantha, about plate hangers: I don't know if you've heard about disc hangers (link below). I've read about them, and ordered some but have not had the chance to try them out, and in fact, am just tempted to save them for the new house...

Becky

Here is a link that might be useful: Disc hangers

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Now I've got others questioning their kitchen choices. Sorry! That was not my intent at all!! This post comes out of my own insecurities and lack of vision.

Maybe I should have titled my post "how to infuse some pizzazz, personality, and sparkle in my tasteful and elegant white cabbed and marbled kitchen." Aliris quoted me in her post with that. That's really what I'm asking.

I've known for many years that I wanted white cabs. Deep in my heart, I knew I wanted marble counters (I tried to pick granite), but was told so many times that was a no-no in a kitchen. DH and I always planned on laying a rich brown oak floor when we reno'd. When I found GW in Jan. 2010, I couldn't believe how many people had the same 3 basic finishes that I wanted! I was so happy that my choices were validated here.

I wanted a white subway backsplash for a long time too because so many here have that and it looks great. Now I don't want to be like everybody else. Then I considered Carrara hex tiles or penny tiles. Is that different enough? Maybe. I LOOOVE Becky's picture above of the mosaic behind the range. That's ME! And me a sparkly high would be the Kraftmaid photo or Scottielee's backsplash that Bee posted.

Banquette fabric is a place to experiment also. But, like so many of you cautioned, I don't want too many elements trying to steal the show that aren't integrated or thought out. If anything, I veer more towards too little than too much. I can't have a wow hood with a wow backsplash with wow pendants with wow window treatments with a wow banquette. The circus is not throwing up all over my kitchen.

I asked this question now because my cab maker REALLY needs to get the final plan from me so he can build. I've been toying with the idea of doing something interesting with them like Alabamamommy did in the pics I first posted. She said it best when she titled her reveal pics as "A twist on a white kitchen." I want a twist too. I just don't know if it should come from the cabs.

I really like Pllog's idea of the walnut band under the marble top and the other walnut accents. I'm going to play with that over the weekend. (I think I can stall the cab maker until Monday.) I'm also going to take John's advice and see what kind of "nutty" I can throw in that still works with tasteful and elegant!

• harrimann
    13 years ago

I've read through this thread and there are two words I don't recognize. First, what is "TKO"? I don't see it in the newbie guide, and I assume it isn't a boxing term. Second, what is "Eurosplash"? Googling leads me to a european water park.

Thanks for indulging a newbie. :)

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Breezy,
    Your kitchen will be memorable if you focus on YOU.
    Let you shine through. When you attack this with
    confidence, bravery, gumption... that is what makes your
    space authentic and unique.

The ideas below are what made others feel good and made
    their place magical to them. You will discover what makes
    you smile. You have the talent, passion and desire to make
    your space memorable.
    ~boxerpups

I have a passion for fun lights. I guess I love italian
    light fixtures so when I think about space, I think about
    making it bright or dim with one of these....

And of course tile can be a place to play with color,
    art, ideas, creative thoughts and definitely a piece of you.
    Put YOU first and everything will fall into place.

Fabric

13 years ago

breezy, another walnut band in another current thread (below)...

New Ravenna have some gorgeous stuff, don't they?!

One thing to keep in mind is that it is much easier/cheaper to switch out (or add later) "wow" pendants, window treatments, and banquette fabric than it is a backsplash or hood. You can start with the hood, since you have it already : ) and backsplash, and then go from there. You might not need "wow" pendants, curtains AND banquette fabric, but then again, maybe you'll find something you really like and decide to do all of them, but wait until everything else -- backsplash, hood -- is in to see how far you need to go to achieve the kitchen that makes you say, "Yup, this is it" : ).

Becky

Here is a link that might be useful: celineike's beautiful Zen kitchen

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Jilly--TKO means Totally Kitchen Obsessed. Stick around here for half a second and you'll be one! Eurosplash is a term I haven't seen very often around here, more on Houzz. It means a backsplash that continues from counter to ceiling height, even around a hood or window or whatever. If you look at the rendering I posted yesterday at 17:42, you'll see what I mean behind the range. The simulated tile runs to the ceiling. It's done in Europe more than here, I guess.

Boxer!! Thank you for the great images and encouragement! That round passthru with the medallion is design genius! As to the lights, do you have a source for the first two smaller photos with the filigree? Those are me!

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Becky--Celine and I were both inspired by Alabamamommy's kitchen! She has the space for island legs though.. :(

Thanks for those images. You took every element I described and found an image to match. Now I'm going to have to take the long drive north at some point to visit the nearest store with New Ravenna tile!

If I can figure out what I want to do with the cabs this weekend, I think the hood is a good jumping off point for the rest of the design. I bought that already and love it. I can pick other elements around that. I've never been able to pull off a whole "finished, designed room" kinda look in my life, but I really want to now. Thanks!

• harrimann
    13 years ago

Thanks breezy. I'm approaching TKO these days. I suppose it's good to have a name for it. And I had my eurosplash installed last week. I guess it's good that I have a name for that as well. (I wasn't going for "euro"; I simply didn't know where to stop!)

I'm waiting for boxer's source for the filigree light as well. Love it.

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Lavender--Thank you so taking time to post images to inspire me. The botanic stool fabric in one of them is right up my alley. I'm also intrigued by the oak fridge panels on the pic of "20 Years of Drury Design."

• gsmama
    13 years ago

Breezygirl,

I've read some of the really great responses here though not all, but just wanted to say I totally get your post! It's funny, I think Alabamamommy's kitchen sent many of us back to the drawing board because of it's drama (and my cabinets were aleady ordered when I saw hers). I started asking myself your very same question you do here (apparently, it didn't matter that I had already designed and ordered the cabinets).

I, too, am planning stacked, inset, off-white cabinets to the ceiling with a wood island like so many I've seen here. And, while my final kitchen reveal photos might not stand out in this forum against all the other exquisite, elegant off-white-stacked-inset (etc.) kitchens in the finished kitchen blog, my kitchen will be unlike any of those that I currently hang out in (at homes of the tight circle of friends I hang out with) so I know it will be memorable in my neck of the woods. While I am one that does care about resale, I wanted a kitchen design that was elegant and sumptuous to come down to each morning for myself. For the friends and family I have over, I want it to be warm and inviting--the "hangout" kitchen on the block, just like as kids there was a hangout house. And that involves more than how beautiful the kitchen is or isn't.

I think your hood is absolutely memorable. While I have seen some one GW, I've never walked into a home with a hood like that. It's not boring at all. I also have a banquette planned and after asking myself the question "will my kitchen be memorable" decided I would rely on the banquette fabric, kitchen pendants, island stools, kitchen table and other big furniture pieces or accessories. Of course I've since deleted the island pendants from my plans and will do recessed lighting (that's another story).

Anyways, just wanted to say, I get it and I agree with everyone who says that what will really make the kitchen special is you. I'm am improving my skills as a cook and when all is said and done I want my meals and conversations with friends to be the most memorable thing about my kitchen and I've got a ways to go on the cooking skills department for that...

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

I'm glad they gave you some ideas!

Just a thought...what if you had a walnut table, in front of the bench/banquette...and maybe upholstered stools and chairs? They could be very similar, just taller legs for the stools. Then, all the seating would be so very comfy :)

With the kids, you could always use slipcovers or outdoor fabric...they have some beautiful ones!

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Hi Breezy,

Here you go.

Style Hive. I think it is about $350.00 from a shop in
    London.

Artcraft light you can find it on Amazon. Yes Amazon!
    I love this light too. You can find it at home click too.
    http://www.amazon.com/Artcraft-Lighting-SC635-Morocco-Fixture/dp/B004AYE58U

Here are a few more in the same flavor...

My lights world. com

Shade of Light

Murray Light Fixtures

Vertical Leaf Pendant light

vertical leaf pendant light by meganauman on Etsy
    http://veinamba.info/elk-fabrique-3-light-drum-pendant-in
    polished-chrome-velvety-vine-shade.htm

• kaysd
    13 years ago

Breezygirl,

This is just one small detail, but if you like the bling of the backsplash tiles used by Kraftmaid and Scottie Lee, check out the oval iridescent tiles used in this kitchen on Houzz. These are high on my list, depending on our choice of counters. The ovals have a different look than the tiny squares, softer and rounder, while still providing that great shimmer.

Here is a link that might be useful: [oval tiles[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/kitchens-contemporary-kitchen-boston-phvw-vp~123988)

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

Tomorrow, gals who have pearls--faux or otherwise--wear the pearls. Or something equally classy. Get them out of the closet and on your body. Doesn't matter if you're wearing t-shirt or little black dress. Just don't apologize when questioned. Males, find a similar ironic M.O. and enjoy it. [I've clipped a few pearl strands together and strung them through my chandelier and pendants to celebrate the end of snow, a decor look copied from some high-end chandeliers currently for sale for prices I can't afford and I'll bet their pearls are fake. It's been a hoot since I did this--looks intentional and rather fabulous.]
    ___

Breezy -- Go walk some fabric stores and get your decorator hormones a-flowing. There's lots of special unique memorable stuff.
    ___

Recently I've found a number of sources for counter-height benches which might be helpful for some who are looking for a seating solution. Type in on search engine for examples.
    Breezy, there are also some very attractive benches for kitchen nooks, both tall and short. The glory of a bench is that it offers more long-term flexibility than built-in seating and can still be reuppholstered as needed if you get an upholstered bench. My father, although a carpenter who created many nook seating units for 50s kitchens, had a freedstanding bench in his own kitchen. Allowed him to push the table right over the seat of bench after the kids moved out. More flexible, less permanent. And in your kitchen the bench and table could be moved to a different position whe you need to allow a kitchen worker to work facing kitchen at island. Just be sure to include a toekick there.
    ___

O.T.
    BeckySharp, thanks for link to the plate hangers. These gizmos might be a godsend for someone with lighter pieces. I am afraid my stuff has more heft than these discs could hold. But...look at the large pewter pieces in the kitchen Boxer posted above. (Thanks, Boxer! Now find one for an 8-foot ceiling--there's a challenge!) These trays in photo are hefty babies and they're suspended with very large plate-holder style grasping hook apparatus. This is what I need to locate. Get this: My newest and most monstrous silverplate (a hunter's wife's revenge) piece is 2.5 ft by 1.5 feet and has a back made of a single board, a tray that may date from Queen Victoria's early reign (but then again, maybe not). Hefff-ty! I may have to just put it on top of new bookcase in custom groove and call it done. Unique and memorable perhaps but the specialness veers off into truly loony. This is not a decorating muse to follow, folks, it is a disease.

• davidro1
    13 years ago

Breezygirl,

My remarks are based on the seeing the floor plan in your first post.

In a house building forum you will get feedback about the major elements like the fact that a toilet being close to the living area is something to avoid. A bad idea.

I don't go to all the forums so i wouldn't know if you have already been there and had the benefit of this feedback.

I can't afford to take time to read this entire thread so i wouldn't know if you have already been told about the toilet being too close or had the benefit of some variation of this feedback.

If you want to know more, I can post again describing in more detail why toilets are not good so close to dining areas and living areas.

What I mean by "major elements" are big picture concepts, context, like e.g. if your house were on a sloped terrain what that would mean in terms of drainage and humidity, and what that means in terms of the sense you get when you are in the house, i.e whether you feel high and dry or a bit submerged by the mountain. Views are another big thing. Views out the window.

Views inside the house are also good to think about as big picture things, major elements. Views onto toilets, or hearing toilet noises, and the noises of someone defecating or peeing, this kind of thing is important to know about before it's too late.

For a kitchen to be 'special, unique, memorable' you have to be sure the immediate geography is also that.

The kitchen plan you have drawn is good, and can be tweaked a little bit, too: it's not final.

In another post, if you ask for it, I can explain what I might suggest for the toilet based on seeing only the floor plan I saw.

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Boxer--Thanks for the lighting sources. I love drum shades. I WILL have one somewhere in my new lighting scheme!

Jilly--I'd love to see your Eurosplash.

Gsmama--Thank you! I'm still debating island pendants vs cans. I think I'm leaning towards cans myself.

Kay--Great tiles! I find myself drawn to oval and hex tile shapes lately. There are so many cool ones out there now. Oh, and pennyrounds! Love them too.

Florantha--I tried to wear my pearls on Sunday but the baby was too fascinated with them for it to be safe for me. Mine are real, thanks to a generous DH a few years ago, so I didn't want to risk damage. I need to find a good fabric store to oogle. I only have one in my town and it's a Joanns so I'm not sure they have all the latest stuff, but it would be a good place to start.

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Davidro--thanks for your comments. This is a remodel of a house we've lived in for almost 12 years, and the toilet/laundry room combo is existing and will be staying. I've built a mudroom like enclosure near the door to hopefully block the view some. The room is only used for family members when we're home alone. I know it's not ideally located for the visuals of the other rooms, but it's perfect for the family usse our house and garden. I have a beautiful 1970's vintage avocado guest bath down the hall for others to use. ;)

Gardening is a passion for me, and I have taken the garden views into account with my new kitchen. Here's a view out my cleanup sink window down the slope to my vintage metal glider. (Excuse my son's dump truck and fir cone collections on the patio.)

And here's what it looks like outside my new range windows:

• louisianapurchase
    13 years ago

I have been reading this thread with interest for the last week and didn't know if I could add anything that hasn't already been said, but I couldn't help myself so here goes. You have already started with great bones and so I say have fun with the other elements.

I too am an understated, pearls and jeans, less is more kinda girl but am letting go a little as I get older bringing in more funk.

I think that since you still have young children at home and soon to be beginning school let that be your guide. I envision painting your island black with some great fabric on that banquette. Maybe even some vinyl with the built in sparklies in red or turquoise (I hope I am explaining it correctly). I know that sounds crazy but I just keep picturing it and how fun that would be and most importantly childproof. I also know that if I were a young kid I would love it!! Pair it against an antique table (many types come to mind) with tolix chairs in a fun color or some kind similar. The fabric could be changed later, you would still have a great table and you could interchange the chairs with something else.

Frame your kids art and/or display it in other unconventional ways to bring in more color. Get some funky pendant lights and other fun fabrics for window treatments. Toss in some family momentos and voila, you would have a very personal to breezygirl's family yet special, unique, and memorable kitchen.

The great thing about this is that it can evolve over time becoming more mature and elegant as your children grow b/c you still have your basic bones. I know none of these ideas are new or outside of the box really but they can go a long way in making a space personal.

• farmgirlinky
    13 years ago

Breezy, another way to look at this: what spaces make you happy and why? Can elements from those spaces be extrapolated in some way into the kitchen you are designing? I'd be interested to hear about that.
    Lynn

• davidro1
    13 years ago

ok, here is an idea:
    open wall where the range windows are
    a big island (a slab) going from the wall (near it) towards the Family room
    counters parallel to the line this slab makes (another slab, cut in half).
    it makes the kitchen footprint more like 16' by 11' or 15' by 12'.
    visually it is with slabs kinda like side by side.
    the center slab is where people will hang out if they approach the cook or the kitchen.
    on the wall side it gives people a perch point around those windows with the view.

the center slab becomes the centerpiece and the central work area;
    the center slab can have drawers under it, on both sides.
    it can have two prep sinks because it's so big.
    this slab can be oval or ovoid.

it means the range and vent go somewhere else, a corner that will be off limits to (young) children,
    the other areas being OK for children and helpers.