Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pammycat_gw

I need ideas for back splash

pammycat
13 years ago

First time posting and really wish I knew about this forum when I started my kitchen remodel. It's almost done and I really need some ideas for my back splash.

Here are some pictures of my kitchen. The banquet area will have a different table. It's going to have a red laminate table top and the chairs are going to be re-upholstered in black.

I like color and was thinking of a bright multi-color bs. definitely some red and black but do you think I could throw some yellow and green in there too or would it look too busy? Any ideas would be appreciated!

My house is a no style 1956 ranch, I was going for a retro look.

Comments (19)

• harrimann
    13 years ago

I don't see photos.

• pammycat
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Pictures would probably help!

tp://s1095.photobucket.com/albums/i471/pammycat1/?

action=view&current=DSC00460.jpg" target="_blank">

• harrimann
    13 years ago

I think it looks great like it is. Maybe pennyround tiles would look good in a back splash.

• pammycat
    Original Author
    13 years ago

View from the banquet

• pammycat
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks mcmjilly, I guess I just want more color in it. I'll check out the penny rounds.

• herbflavor
    13 years ago

I see a soft green square ceramic tile installation.Inspiration:that sugar and creamer on your counter.Just get a paler green/almost grayish for the tile..you have a fun space there!

• joyce_6333
    13 years ago

Pammycat, I think your kitche is absolutely adorable just the way it is. I love it! But if you want to add another color, I don't think I would add a large expanse of it. Maybe white subway tiles, or 4x4 ceramic with a strip of another color would be enough? Similar to the link below, but bright accents colors. Maybe yellow and that retro turquoise/aqua color? Keep us posted.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ann Sacks tile

• sumnerfan
    13 years ago

I would play off the floor and curtains and use a white square on the end to create a diamond then use a dark grout and maybe two lines of this red penny tile (in the link) right about the countertop.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• harrimann
    13 years ago

Here's a site I bookmarked when I was looking for inspiration for my 1955 house.

Here is a link that might be useful: modwalls

• redwood15
    13 years ago

What about red square tiles?

• lazydaisynot
    13 years ago

Really fun kitchen! With the black floor pattern and black countertops I don't think I'd use any black in the backsplash. My preference would be a single solid color -- red, the green suggested above, or a toned-down turquoise maybe. You clearly have a great eye so I'm sure you'll make the right choice.

• beekeeperswife
    13 years ago

Oh yes. Penny Tiles. Excellent idea. Look at this link

Here is a link that might be useful: this old house & penny rounds

• pammycat
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you all so much for your nice comments and ideas. I'm not going to do anything until the table comes in. Since the top is going to be red I may have enough color just with that.

I'll post more pic's when the table is in and get more of your opinions then.

Thank you again!

• pammycat
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I love all of the links everyone suggested. I think this may be the hardest decision I've made with the kitchen.

• beekeeperswife
    13 years ago

Sorry. Sometimes I get so carried away I forget my manners...

I love your kitchen!

The reason I think penny rounds would look so good, besides their appropriateness (is that a word) for your kitchen's style....but the floor is so bold and "square" that I think the round would be another geometric pattern that wouldn't compete. Does that make any sense? If it were my kitchen, I would be afraid of red tile back there. But that's just me. Did you see the black penny rounds? I thought they were pretty cool.

anyway, apologies for being so quick before. I hope you have really cute aprons for all the cooks in that kitchen.

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

I adore your kitchen. Spunky, fun, creative, and Sweet
    with a dash of spice. I could just see myself with a group of
    girl friends sitting in those very cool retro
    chairs, drinking a Tom Collins (Have not had one of those
    in years) eating 7 layer dip and laughing until my
    face hurts. You kitchen is memorable and fun.
    I think you could do anything for a backsplash and it
    would come off perfect.
    Here are some crazy ideas and others that might not
    work but something to think about in your search.

~bxoerpups

Not this color but maybe a fun shape like this

• pammycat
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Boxerpups, Thank you so much for all the inspiration pictures!

Beekeepers wife, I think I may be leaning towards the penny rounds, and I do have cute aprons.

This kitchen was inspired by my Aunts kitchen. Growing up I spent almost as much time in her kitchen as I did my own. She passed away a few years ago and when I decided to redo this one I wanted a kitchen that reminded me of hers.

Thank you all again for your help.

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

How about something like this, but with the white background tiles, red 'diamond' tiles for accent, and maybe a black racing stipe, along the top? That would be pretty cute...especially with your curtains :)

{{!gwi}}

• anrol
    13 years ago

How about a quilted stainless steel backsplash?