Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Protecting hardwood floors during renovation?

Posted by khallock (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 29, 13 at 11:02

My oak floors are being refinished this week. The oak is throughout the entire 1st floor (with a few exceptions). My cabinets get delivered next week.

Would you have the cabinets put inside the house? I have an empty dining room i could put them in. Or would you put them in the attached garage? I am thinking the dining room since the laundry room is above the garage and there is always the potential for a leak I guess. Plus we dont have pallets to raise the cabinets off of the garage floor.

Also - what are some tips/tricks to keep your wood floors looking good during a renovation? We were thinking of taping down thick canvas tarps. This is a DIY remodel so there wont be any GC to blame if the floors get scratched.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Protecting hardwood floors during renovation?

I stored my cabs in an attached garage. My cab maker put down large moving blankets on the floor first. My cabs were custom made locally so were not boxed. He laid blankets between cabs also. They were safely stored for 3-4 months that way.

As for protecting the floors, I'll link a thread from late last year on the same topic where my answer can be found. There are other threads with the same discussion if you want to search around.

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg122047272485.html

o
RE: Protecting hardwood floors during renovation?

Thank you. Very helpful!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here