Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to put down to protect kitchen floor while having work done

Posted by sis2two (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 28, 12 at 20:47

At the beginning of February, we are having our upper cabinets removed and painted as well as other painting done in our kitchen. There will be a lot of in and out traffic while this is being done. Our kitchen floors are heart pine, a really soft floor. I know from previous experience that cardboard does not protect the floor as grit gets underneath and scratches the floor. Does anyone have suggestions that they could share. Thanks so much.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to put down to protect kitchen floor while having work d

For the plaster work, our contractor out down cardboard and then paper and finally plastic to protect our floors

o

We used ram board. I bought a roll at Home Depot and used regular masking tape to tape the boards together and frog tape to tape it to the floor. Since it's a heavy rolled material it helps to hold it down with weights. It's re-usable so if you want to take it up and put it back down later it will hold up.

It says Online Exclusive on HD's website but I bought it at a local store in the lumber aisle.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ram Board

o

Use masonite sheets as the first layer, taped together with some heavy duty gaffer's tape. Second layer should be cardboard, followed by the third layer of rosin paper.

o

I used raisin paper, taped down followed by the cardboard frm my ikea cabinets in the areas that were in use continually. We had that combo down for 6 months plus and it seved the purpose well.

o

We reno'd the whole house and used ram board on our 1000 sq ft of newly installed oak floor for about six months without issue. In the pic, you can see two different tapes. The white is masking tape, and the brownish is special tape meant to accompany the ram board. DH really liked the tape, and we were both pleased by the lack of any floor damage when we finally took off the ram.

DSC03910

Still, if I had really soft flooring, I'd go with Hollysprings' suggestion. I'm a cautious person.

o

We are using MDF taped with duct tape. I took off the board for the holidays so the kitchen would be semi-presentable. No damage to the floors so far and we've had a ton of work done this fall. That reminds me that I need to put the boards down next weekend in time for the final phase of work.

o

Red rosin paper base, tempered masonite with joints sealed with Duct tape, not the cheap crap, the $12 a roll good stuff.

Polished side up for ease of cleaning.

Don't have a drapery brush for your vac and worried about the toe kicks?

Vinyl cove base on top of the rosin paper, Duct tape masonite to the cove base.
Virtual hermetic seal.

o

The recommended approach for historic home renovation is polyethylene plastic on which is put Homosote, on which is put plywood. This could probably save a floor from a three-story chandelier drop. I used only the plastic and Homosote once my floors were in. To avoid any scratches from grit getting under this configuration, the edges need to be taped all around each piece of Homosote and the assembly attached to the floor at the edges so it won't move with traffic.

kas

o

Thank you all for your suggestions. These are some great ideas. I am going to check out that ram board. I will need something with some thickness to it in case anything drops while they're taking the cabinets out.

o
What about something like this?

Found this at Sam's Club and I am wondering if this could possibly work. Plus I would have it for future projects if need be.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sam's Club floor mats

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here