Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
youngdeb_gw

Contemplating cutting board storage...

youngdeb
12 years ago

We are doing a major refresh, and part of the project includes a brand new island. I am moving my knives off the counter (YAY!) to a drawer in the island, and thus my cutting boards must move too.

I love those paperstone cutting boards- not too hard on my knives, easy to clean, light (I am a wimp about heavy stuff), and I can put 6 of them in the same space as two thick wooden boards. I was considering having my creative contractor build a slot for them on the side of my island...but I'm just not sure it's worth it...he's an amazing craftsman but expensive.

So help a sister out...where do you keep your cutting boards? Do you like having them out? Tucked away? A little of both?

Thanks!

Deb

Comments (20)

• mydreamhome
    12 years ago

I have a 15" wide base cabinet where I store mine. There is a divider that runs down the middle of the cabinet so I put cutting boards on one side & cookie sheets and cooling racks on the other.

My mom has a 24" wide base cabinet where she has dividers every 2-3" or so for multiple slots where she stores her paperstone, wood & glass cutting boards as well as her cookie sheets and cooling racks.

Hope this helps!

• rosie
    12 years ago

Same here--vertical storage in the island right to the side of where I usually stand. Would do all over again. Might not even put a door on it.

• CEFreeman
    12 years ago

Even though I'm short, I keep mine with the baking sheets over the refrigerator. I don't cook much, being on my own, so it can be a bit high, but they're out of the way and kept neatly. I installed my cabinet out further towards the front of the fridge so I can reach things better.

I also have a handy-dandy stool for tall things. :)

I know, though, if you're thinking about something and really keep going back to the idea? You're sold. Ask him how much it would cost to have what's in your head. It might not be as bad as you're thinking. maybe. [LOL]

• bellsmom
    12 years ago

This might work for you:

Do you have a super susan? Is it close to where you want the cutting boards and cookie sheets and the like?

I just read on GW that cutting boards, cookie sheets and such can be stored standing on edge beside the rotating super susan.

AHA!! Just yesterday I moved mine out of the cabinet that was built to hold them, put three shelves into the 9'' wide cabinet, and I have the best of both worlds. More space for storage of cooking stuff (wish it were drawers) and easily accessible cookie sheets and cutting boards.

Sandra

• nycbluedevil
    12 years ago

Good thread. Don't mean to hijack but related--I use my cutting boards (wood) several times a day so putting them away doesn't seem appealing to me. Right now I just stand them up against the wall. Anyone have any other bright ideas?

• marcolo
    12 years ago

Old-fashoined pullout breadboards are great. They also extend your counters when they're in the right location.

• suzanne_sl
    12 years ago

I store mine vertically under the sink using one of those divider racks.

• Buehl
    12 years ago

I store mine under my prep sink. I have a corner prep sink, so I purchased two one piece/multiple slots tray dividers from WalMart and placed one on each side of the "black hole" corner sink base. My cutting boards are in one divider and my pizza stones and sole cast iron pan are in the other.

The cutting boards are on their side the long way so they stick back into the normally inaccessible corner. However, the end that sticks out the "front" is easily reached. (Ditto for the pizza stones and pan.) Here are some pics:

I know you didn't ask, but my cooling racks, cookie sheets, etc. are above my ovens. I also used 3 of those same tray dividers for them:

One thing...if your trash is under your sink, I would not store your cutting boards there as well...to me, it does not seem sanitary.

• youngdeb
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone! What a lot of great ideas!

I don't have a lazy suzan on that side of the kitchen, nor do I have a sink. The layout in this kitchen is weird...but I'm not annoyed with it enough to completely gut it, all it can really sustain is a refresh.

I think I'm going to do a combination of what you all have done and what I was planning. We have two 6" wide cabinets on either side of the ovens (weird, I know) and I think I'll add a shelf in the middle of each and store large cutting boards on their side there. Then I'll do a little custom holder on the side of my island like laughable posted to store the skinny paperstone ones. Now I just have to decide how I want it to look...

Thanks again, everyone!

Deb

• phiwwy
    12 years ago

I'm hoping to use something like this for mine. Personally I don't like them under the sink with the cleaning supplies and/or trash.

http://www.rev-a-shelf.com/p-198-door-storage-cutting-board-rack-with-wood-cutting-board-sink-and-base-accessories.aspx

Here is a link that might be useful: Cutting board storage

• Buehl
    12 years ago

Phylhl...just be aware that if you have shelves or roll out tray shelves in the cabinet you put that rack in, you may have to install shorter shelves to allow the cabinet door to close. The rack takes up space inside the cabinet - similar to installing spice racks on the inside of cabinet doors. Notice that there are no shelves in the cabinet the rack is installed in in the Rev-A-Shelf picture.

As to trash, etc., I agree with you! In my case, I only store the cleaning supplies that are for dishes (detergent), food (detergent), or that I use on my counters (Method daily granite) - all used for/with food or surfaces food could be placed on. I do not store any other types of cleaning supplies in the same cabinet I store the cutting boards.

• taggie
    12 years ago

If you have two 6" spaces on either side of the range you should consider drawers there for your cutting boards and baking sheets if you can.

We have a 9" space on one side of the range and have two drawers (half cab height each so I guess they are 15" high) and totally love the convenience of getting the cutting boards and baking trays from the drawer. Our 9" has a divider in the middle; 6" will give you plenty of room. Here is ours:

• lalithar
    12 years ago

I am doing open slots for cutting boards. Just 4" but other tham 1 wooden board, others are plastic. I did put a shelf in for the mini cutting boards on the top.

• phiwwy
    12 years ago

buehl - great point, thanks. I gather that is something that could be addressed during installation (shortening the shelves) but will also mention to KD before finalizing design and order. Thanks!

• a2gemini
    12 years ago

Taggie- I wish I had done that with my 9 inch cab! I might have to sneak it in later....

• Buehl
    12 years ago

Phylhl...for stationary shelves, you could probably cut the shelves down. However, for roll out tray shelves, I think they would have to be ordered with a shallower depth (back-to-front).

In my experience, stationary shelves are "finished" on all four ends, so if you cut them, you will lose the "finished" end at the back of the shelf. You may not care, but I wanted you to be aware of this.

• a2gemini
    12 years ago

Taggie- what is your hardware also?
    Thanks!

• carybk
    12 years ago

aliris has some neat cutting board storage, kind of like Taggie's.

• NewSouthernBelle
    12 years ago

I am very late in responding to this but here goes...

I ended up doing an open shelf for our cutting boards. My cutting boards were always very accessible in the old kitchen and I wanted them that way again so instead of putting them in a drawer or behind a cabinet door, I just had my cabinet marker put a floor and a shelf in a 3'' gap between two other cabinets in the middle of my prep area. My island is huge as it is (10.5' long) and I couldn't devote any more space to it. Even adding a small hinged door would require another 2-3'' and require two motions to get a coard out. So far I love it. It is the back side of the island too so no one ever really sees it.

Here is a link that might be useful: thread with photos of Aliris' cutting board drawer