Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newsouthernbelle_gw

Aliris19 - cutting board drawer?

NewSouthernBelle
12 years ago

Aliris - on a thread about smalled drawers you said,

"Cutting boards? I think mine are probably a little bit bigger than that, but I have a narrow tall drawer designed for cutting boards that I love... "

Can you post a picture? I'd love to see this narrow, tall, drawer that you love. Also, how wide and tall is it?

Thanks so much.

Comments (9)

• Claudia77
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Wow! Reading the title of this thread, I was reminded of a cutting board my Mother had in her 1950's kitchen which pulled out like a drawer. It was located to the right of the sink. She would just pull it out, chop what she needed, wipe it off and push it back in. The cutting board did have a laminate on it. I remember I would sit in a tall chair at this little pull-out cutting board and eat my lunch there - it served as a mini-table for mini-me.

Whatever happened to those pull-out cutting boards? It seems to me such a nifty idea. My Mother used hers for 40+ years and no one ever got sick. You can still have your heavy-duty Boos board, but this would be great to have on hand for a quick chop!

• NewSouthernBelle
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Those pull out cutting boards are still around BUT I don't think that is what Aliris19 has and I am very curious to see a pic of that.

• sophie123
    12 years ago

Southernbelle - I have 4 in my new kitchen! I didn't really ask for them - the cabinet maker designed them in wherever she thought they made sense. I'll post a picture when i get a chance. They are useful in all sorts of ways.

• NewSouthernBelle
    Original Author
    12 years ago

bump bump - looking for Aliris's response and picture. I'll repost if I have to.

• seaduck
    12 years ago

Here's another solution, which gives you flexibility: Simply buy a rack oraganizer that will allow you to stow boards (and trays) on a shelf.

We built in a fixed shelf (unnecessary...could have been adjustable) behind a lower cabinet door. The shelf was drilled like a pegboard, with removable dowels. In reality, the dowels didn't fit very well, they were hard and time-consuming to insert, and most tipped over with repeated use.

Then I got smart and bought a couple of the these Seville 'organizers'. I bought them from Amazon for maybe $12 or $14; I later found them at Bed Bath and Beyond, and bought another one, which I use in another cabinet for stowing folded paper bags.

Works like a dream. You can read the reviews at Amazon for a better description of them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Seville Classics organizer

• aliris19
    12 years ago

Hi SBelle - Sorry not to have noticed your question; I've been very offline lately. But your response to what I'd posted over in appliances came to my email so that's good. Just for the record, if anyone wants to reach another and they've enabled the possibility, you can click on their name, I think, and find your way to GW's email info for them.

Anyway, onward. I was just thinking about (and loving) my cutting board drawers today so thanks for asking! This has worked better than I dreamed. I used to keep these things on edge between a toaster oven and a wall on the counter in my old kitchen -- they were always slipping over and falling down various cracks and -oh - so many headaches. I just slide open this long, tall drawer which is right under my work surface and voila!

I love the concept of those old cutting boards that themselves slide in underneath the counter. But I found you could never cut very hard on them and they wobbled always, up and down enough to be really annoying when chopping. I imagine modern technology can deal with this and I know some here like theirs. But you're right, it's not what I have.

Here's an overview of the space where it's at. It's the tall thin drawer:

And here's a picture of it open.

And here's a picture of the insides:

My biggest, favoritest cutting board from days of yore won't fit -- it's massive and actually sits on the bottom of that open shelf you see, protecting it and available when I want to haul it out. I have only done so once; it's kind of a pain to do so because stuff resides on top of it now. I might have to do something about that in the future.

But the point is, this particular drawer at least won't fit a really big cutting board inside. That would have to go in the kind of setup, I think, mentioned above - essentially a cookie sheet slotted setup.

But for all "normal" sized cutting boards it works great. The interior of my drawer measures 5 7/8"w x 19"d x 15 3/4"h. So it's narrow and deep. And sits next to an open shelf that I use for quick, easy access to a compost bucket, salad spinner (always wet, but it doesn't matter in the open shelf), colanders, lg. cutting board, etc.

The only issue, and it hasn't been a problem at all, just something I've noticed, is that because the drawer glides are on the bottom of such a tall thin drawer, it wobbles a bit pulling in and out; it's just a little bit unsupported. It's not a problem, but with more weight or less care closing or perhaps more time it could be I suppose. I don't think you can make a drawer infinitely high for this wobbling reason (that is, there's some limit on a functional height, but I don't know what it would be and it's a function of more than just height but weight and configuration too I imagine).

I highly recommend this setup if you have a good space available.

• NewSouthernBelle
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That looks fabulous and just the kind of thing I need...now if only I could get my KD to send me updated designs...Argh!!!

Seaduck - your idea is a good one too but I don't have quite enough room for something like that. If I can't make a drawer-type design work, I will head to BBB to get a Seville organizer. I am an organizer junky, truth be told and BBB and Container Stores are two of my absolute favorite stores.

• seaduck
    12 years ago

You should think about the motions involved with finding and selecting a cutting board, and also with putting one away. It will help you figure out what will work best for you.

We use a couple of very small boards in addition to medium and really big ones. So the drawer arrangement wouldn't work as well for us.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    12 years ago

We are putting one of those other types of cutting board drawers in our kitchen like Claudia77 was talking about. It is over a pull out trash can and has a little hole in it so when you are done cutting, you can just push scraps into it.

Here it is, waiting for install: