Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
starpooh

Why are some kitchens not in the FKB???

starpooh
14 years ago

I'm just curious.. why is it that some people ignore my requests to be included in the Finished Kitchens Blog?

• It's so wonderful when members finish their kitchens and immediately notify me they can be archived in the FKB. Thanks to all who have done this!
  • It's time-consuming for me to search through the 60+ pages to find the other finished kitchens then post requests for permission to be included in the FKB. I'm not complaining because most of the time the owners of those kitchens are ecstatic to have been asked to "join" the FKB.
  • My concern is for those who have been asked numerous times but ignore my requests. (And I absolutely hate to bug you!!!) And it's usually those who have the most sought-after kitchens so I know that, in the future, members will be looking for their kitchen in the FKB.

Why is it that some members ignore my requests? Any ideas?

Comments (35)

• kitchenconfidential2
    14 years ago

I'm still waiting to "finish" my kitchen. Although it's close, I still need stools and a shelf and some throw carpets. Before I feel it's complete, I'm not comfortable posting in the KFB. So I think eventually we'll get there, it just takes time. Please be patient.

• michellemarie
    14 years ago

How does one post their kitchen there and how do I look at the finished kitchens? My kitchen should be ready in about 2 months so I would love to post it.

• want2bsure
    14 years ago

I am thrilled to be nearing completion of my kitchen and can't imagine not honoring your request. I have received so much valuable information here, I will be eternally grateful. When we do finish, is there a tutorial, particularly in regards to long term photo accessibility? I hate it that some of my favorites have "moved and are no longer available".
    Thanks for all you do!

• starpooh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

kitchenconfidential2 - Oh boy.. I blew it! The title should have been "Why are some Finished Kitchens not in the FKB"?

michellemarie - The finished kitchens are in a blog. You can find them at www.finishedkitchens.com.
    Have you read buehl's "Read Me If You're New To GW Kitchens!" post? It's usually on the first page of the forum. She explains how to access the basics of this forum.

• starpooh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Any thoughts?
    Why is it that some folks don't respond to requests to have their finished kitchen added to the FKB? Should I assume that if my request is ignored that it's a polite way of saying "no thanks"? I would actually prefer the "no thanks" answer so I know whether or not to keep pestering them. :-)

• hamsundm
    14 years ago

Are ALL finished kitchens supposed to be posted? High end and low end? Complete remodels and refreshes? I guess I've always assumed the FKB was for 'other' kitchens (not mine!)... (that doesn't explain the lack of response when asked specifically, but might explain why not all kitchens are in the FKB?)

• marthavila
    14 years ago

I don't know the answer to that, Starpooh, and can only hazard a guess. I know there are many of us who are technically "finished" but, like Kitchenconfidential2, feel there are still enough loose ends to qualify as not being completed enough to post a finished kitchen. But that really doesn't answer the question as to those who have already posted their finished kitchens to the Discussions page but then don't cooperate with you on posting further. I imagine that some, after posting their kitchens, consider their ties to the community as having been completed. They move on, never to be heard from again. And, in fact, I can think of several former active members who had totally gorgeous kitchens that they posted to the Forum pages but then they were never heard from again and their kitchens never made it to the FKB. As for those who have completed kitchens, posted them to the Forum pages, lurk here occasionally, possibly even posting on and off, but never sending their kitchens to the FKB? I dunno! They will have to speak up here as to why that is. Without some kind of explanation, it really doesn't make a lot of sense to me either.

• katieob
    14 years ago

Mea culpa mea culpa!

It's me and I'm sorry. My reasons are lame so I won't bother-I'm a lifelong procrastinator . My kitchen will be in within days. I am absolutely a thankful member and do not plan to disappear. On the contrary, I think we're putting the house on the market and starting again!!
    Didn't mean to appear less than gracious & certainly didn't mean to ignore starpooh.

Sheepishly,
    Katie

• sw_in_austin
    14 years ago

Like katieob I'm a horrible procrastinator. I first didn't send my details to you (after I was so excited that you asked in the first place) because I thought I would eventually find a copy of the floor plan and then that I would take more pictures. I was just feeling guilty about it yesterday.

This week doesn't look good but I've put a big sticky note up on my computer to remind me to do it first thing next week. I promise. My most sincere apologies. I certainly didn't mean to ignore you or the most excellent work you do with the FKB.

• sumnerfan
    14 years ago

I have wondered the same thing. Sometimes it is so frustrating to see a glimpse of something and not be able to explore it further. I wish everyone would put their kitchen in the blog. Many thanks to those that do.

• starpooh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Katie - No need to apologize! This wasn't really directed at you (although your kitchen prompted the question). There are many many finished kitchen owners who never reply to my requests. (Yours was just one of the most beautiful.. and I didn't want to lose it!) But I'm sooo glad to hear that the reason isn't that you didn't want your kitchen included but the work that you were asked to do: the time-consuming checklist. That's something I can fix.
    The checklist isn't really necessary; it just helps me categorize a kitchen. But I can do without it. But I do need permission to be given; that can be a quick comment in the kitchen post or an email. I will be sure to specify this in the future.
    So thanks for your input! Helps me much.

projectsneverend - ALL finished kitchens are welcome in the FKB. We don't discriminate! :-) Remodels.. refreshes.. any finished kitchens. It's nice to look at the high-end kitchens but not everybody can afford them. Some of the most popular kitchens are those with a great design that have been created on a small budget. The beauty of the FKB is that there should be something for everyone!

marthavila - Thank you for your thoughtful answer. It may be that some members complete their kitchens then disappear. It's a shame they can't give back to the community... at least with a few photos.

So how many reminders should I give to those members who don't respond? I usually do a single post then followup with a single reminder.

• starpooh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

sw_in_austin - Hmmm.... but I already have your kitchen listed in the Coming Soon section of the FKB. You sent me an email a few weeks ago with your permission. So you can take your time on the checklist; like I mentioned earlier it's not really a priority. :-)
    Update: actually I received the email on Feb 9th. My how time flies!

• zelmar
    14 years ago

Starpooh, I really appreciated the time you took to get hold of me a while back. With all the time and effort you've put into creating an incredible archive for us all to use and enjoy, you shouldn't have to spend time tracking us down.

My kitchen's been pretty near complete for over 4 years but a few projects that were important to me remained. I was afraid that the only "carrot" I had for getting them completed was being included in the FKB. And it worked! After your reminder (almost a year ago, I think), we got 2 of the 3 lingering projects done. I'm happy to say that bare bulbs are no longer dangling from our ceiling. Now it's a matter of getting some photos (no easy matter after 5 years of living in the kitchen.)

I hope I'm not one who hasn't responded to you. My GW email is in the same account as all the email I get from stores/web shopping and I tend to just scan the list to see what seems important to open. Like most (or ALL) here, I have an incredible amount of respect for what you've done for us. If I'm one who's ignored you, please know that it definitely was NOT intentional!

THANK YOU for all you have done, including being an incentive for finishing up the details. Now my kitchen won't suffer the same fate as all the unfinished projects in my knitting bag. And thank you for including my kitchen in the "In Progress" section in the meantime.

• chris45ny
    14 years ago

I can't wait until I can put my kitchen in the FKB!! I keep telling my DH-work faster, I want to take pics and get it done before Mother's Day. Even the lure of golfing doesn't budge him from being a perfectionist. It could be that those of us who are DIY on our kitchens are just taking a long time to finish.

I did look at the list but have to say-have no idea what style my kitchen is. If I send the info, will you put it in it's proper category???

Most of the kitchens in the FKB appear to be high end with pro appliances, etc. Initially, I didn't know if I would post because I didn't spend lots of $$$ in this kitchen redo. It could also be that fear of wondering how others will respond to your kitchen.

• three_daisies
    14 years ago

Is there/was there an invite or process? I posted a finished k itchen here about 2 months ago and haven't purposely disappeared although I have cut my time down on the internet, generally. My k itchen is certainly not high-end either (having been just under $20K). I honestly don't recall any mention of FKB when I posted pics here.

If I was told to post on FKB, I'm sorry I don't remember and anyway, I'm a huge procrastinator and lazy to boot! Also, uploading pics to websites is (for me) a time-consuming process - which is why it took me 2 mos.+ to post my k itchen here. Perhaps that's why some aren't showing up in the FKB?

• riverspots
    14 years ago

I don't know the answers to your questions but it might be along the same lines as the reasons why some of links to older kitchens no longer work. That the owner posts the pics when the kitchen is newly finished, but removes them from photobucket later so they're no longer accessible.

• starpooh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

zelmar - You didn't ignore the request. I had emailed you last year (May 09) and you replied that you weren't ready yet. But.. to remind you.. you said "...since my husband is supposed to make the fixtures I really wanted them in place before I called the kitchen done... I'm giving my husband 2 weeks (that puts it at May 20) then I'm calling it done--bare bulbs or not." lol We've all been there. I'm in the same predicament. My kitchen is also not in the FKB although 95% was completed in '05. We never got around to using T&G for the backsplash but simply painted instead. That will probably never happen at this point. It's my perfectionistic tendencies (maybe a little ocd in there) that keep me from posting. I think we need to look at it as "it's the best I can do for now". I keep preaching that there are members out there looking for details that are in the unposted finished kitchens... yet my own kitchen isn't included. Due to pressure from members I have included my kitchen in the Coming Soon section but have been sneakily moving it toward the bottom of the list. My bad.
    So it's certainly up to you when you want to declare your kitchen 100% finished. But you can't escape... I have you on the I'm-going-to-finish-soon list.

three_daisies - Thank you for responding... and I think I see a potential problem! Last Saturday I requested your permission in your That's Right, It's Another White Kitchen, $20K Budget, Finished!! post. Did you see the request? Perhaps my posts aren't being converted into emails. I suppose I just assumed that if I added a post that the author would see it. :-(
    But to answer your question; there's not supposed to be an invitation. Everyone who posts a finished kitchen in the GW Kitchen forum may have their kitchen added to the FKB. The process is written up in the FKB (see Add your finished kitchen to the FKB). The best case is that owners finish their kitchens then follow the instructions in the FKB. Makes it so much easier for me.

riverspots - Has that really happened... owners remove their photos from photobucket? Usually members who are in the FKB want their photos to be available. I know there are many links that are broken but usually that happens after several years.. members forget the FKB links to their photos. Can you give me some specifics so I can follow-up?

• bmorepanic
    14 years ago

I am completely intimidated by all the wonderful high end kitchens and also by the wonderful DIY work done by the posters.

I feel like I'm wearing' the ol' brown slippers in the closet with some of the stuffing missing and everyone else is wearing Manolo Blahniks.

• jeanteach
    14 years ago

Starpooh: My kitchen is not in the finished kitchens blog because I assumed I needed an invitation to post it. My project was a refresh, not a complete remodel, so I figured it didn't qualify. But after reading your posts on this thread I did try clicking on the link "Add your finished kitchen to the FKB" but that just leads to a "page not found" page. When I go to the website directly and click on "submit" it takes me to the same "page not found" page. I would be happy to list my kitchen but am not sure how to do it.

• starpooh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

jeanteach - sorry! I was updating the "Add your finished kitchen to the FKB" page when the puppy took a long whiz on my LR carpet. I didn't realize the page wasn't in publish state during the update. But it's there now. Please try again. :-)

• three_daisies
    14 years ago

Thank you Starpooh. I never do get emails to notify me of posts to threads and I don't know why that function never works, it's frustrating.

Thanks for letting me know! I'll figure out how to post to FKB soon. :)

• Jodi_SoCal
    14 years ago

I've never received a reminder from you but that's fine, we're not done yet. Been waiting over 2.5 years to finish one wall and have new windows installed. Besides, as the proud owner of the first ever Fire & Ice kitchen here at the forum, most people already know my kitchen. :-)

One day, I will add our kitchen to the FKB. And trust me, I am so, so looking forward to it.

Thanks for all your hard work Starpooh!

Jodi-

• liriodendron
    14 years ago

Perhaps some people are worried about privacy issues, and security ones, as well. Those are certainly some issues that make me wary of posting pics. Also, I think some people may feel they can not take good enough pics that they want to show.

I guess, though, if people are already posting pics here, those may not be issues for them. Do the pics become part of the FKB or does the poster retain control of them and could extinguish them by taking them off PB at will?

Unfortunately, I don't use the FKB very often because it is soooo slow to load on my tortoise-paced dial-up connection. I have looked at it once or twice from my public library.

• jsweenc
    14 years ago

Gotta say this first: bmore, NO WAY are you escaping showing us your soon to be finished (that's right, we know you're underway and can't be too far away from the finish) kitchen! Not after all I've heard (and I know I've only heard a fraction of it). PLEASE include the whole story when you post! If you can.

In summary, here's what I've gathered from looking at the FKB:

- High end, low end, all end and every which way kitchens ALL welcome, invited, wanted; if you call if finished, let her have it! Your finished kitchen WILL be an inspiration to someone.
    - Don't wait to be invited. A personal invitation means starpooh has had to hunt you down!
    - Perfectionism... starpooh, I guess you summed it up for so many of us. Another GW member recently said she wanted to have everything magazine picture ready. My mom has decided that being a perfectionist doesn't mean having things perfect but wanting things to be perfect, and a perfectionist can also be someone who is always in process (i.e., possibly a slob though not always; possibly a procrastinator but not always). Raise your hand if you are not a perfectionist. Anyone? Anyone? OK, so no one raised her hand. Starpooh, marthavila, others... we WANT TO SEE YOUR KITCHENS! (Yelling with encouragement.) BTW, some of us scroll all the way through the Coming Soon section. I guess I've run out of time every time I've gone there, but I'm headed there now to look for you! : D

Thank you to all who have posted, and again, thank you starpooh for your diligence in doing this for us. Wish there was some real way to show our appreciation! It's a blessing, truly, to so many.

• marthavila
    14 years ago

Jsweenc, there's no doubt it. As to the charge of failure to fully reveal my finished kitchen, I've been tried and convicted so many times, there's absolutely no defense left! As a result, I offered a plea bargain on these pages several months ago, in which I promised to post photos of my kitchen (no matter what state it's in) before 2010 is over. At this point, I still have 255 days left to make good on my promise! LOL! BTW, I do want to join you thanking all those who actually have posted their finished kitchens to the forum and the FKB. Getting to see your dream works is a true high point of our TKO addiction! Thanks much!

• jsweenc
    14 years ago

marthavila, we don't know the real YOU... we only know your range and hood! I missed your plea bargain, so, OK, you're on probation! Thanks for the smile. 255 days...

• lowspark
    14 years ago

I'm an OLD completed kitchen owner, and my link changed because the host I was using no longer wished to host pictures. Yahoo I think?? You had emailed me a LONG time ago to see if I could update the link, and I finally got to it a few months ago.

Here's my new link. Thanks starpooh!!!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: lowspark's kitchen

• starpooh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

three_daisies - Since you have already posted your finished kitchen it's easy to have your kitchen posted to the FKB. Just send me a quick email giving your permission. Then, when you have the time, submit the FKB Checklist. I will take care of the rest. :-)

jodi_in_so_calif - I can't wait until your kitchen in added to the FKB. I love looking through the photos and deciding which are the appropriate ones to use. And btw.. I probably haven't bugged you yet since you haven't posted your kitchen as "finished". Those are the folks I go after. lol

liriodendron - Those are certainly all good reasons. I ask permission from kitchen owners since I do copy 2 images onto my own server; one for the overall kitchen, the other is a backsplash closeup. (Sometimes there are more if the kitchen has an awesome detail that should be highlighted.) I manually watermark those 2 photos; they can still be copied by unscrupulous kitchen thieves but it makes it a bit more difficult to steal and reuse. All other photos remain in the photo gallery of the owner. They can be removed at any time. I have actually had several members request their kitchens be removed from the FKB (for various reasons). It just takes an email to let me know.

jsweenc - You're the best! Keep encouraging members to post their finished kitchens! I wish everybody would help out... It's so much better for you to harass your forum friends than me. LOL

marthavila - Take your time! But please don't leave the forum until your kitchen is in the FKB.... I'm afraid other members will hunt you down!

lowspark - I am so glad you're still on the forums! Folks may not be aware but you were one of the few volunteers who helped categorize FKB kitchens. The categories were an afterthought to the FKB so I had asked for volunteers to go through the kitchens that had not been categorized. lowspark meticulously searched through dozens of posted kitchens (or was it hundreds?), scrutinizing the photos and text, then adding tags to them. What a big job!
    Thanks again lowspark!
    And oh, btw, thanks for the new link to your lovely kitchen. I updated your FKB posting.

• lowspark
    14 years ago

LOL, it probably wasn't all that many, it just SEEMED like hundreds. But honestly, it was nothing compared to the amount of work YOU have put in!!! And how kind of you to remember.

I do still hang around but only read/reply posts on a select few topics that I'm familiar with. Yeah, I'm still TKO!!

• lisa_a
    14 years ago

I just wanted to add my thanks to starpooh, lowspark and all the others here who have made the FKB such a gem for those of us still in the process of redoing our kitchens. I've lost count of how many times I've turned to the FKB as I contemplate various options for my kitchen.

So I'm adding my (selfish) plea to those of you who are finished but haven't yet posted your kitchen to the FKB: please, please, please, don't keep us waiting! ;-)

• nursetammi
    14 years ago

I posted a few pics of my finished kitchen but never knew to ask if and how I could be on the FKB. Starpooh, I apologize if you ever asked but I don't recall getting an email or anything from anyone on GW. I would be more than happy to post my kitchen. Of course I'll take a while so it is perfect(lol just kidding)!!!

• amykath
    14 years ago

Starpooh,

Since the past seven years I have been on this site you have been working hard to help us keep it all organized and it has been so helpful! I can't imagine the time it takes. Thanks for all you do!

Heck, I have done two kitchens since. I need to take some really great photos of my new more modest kitchen and load them!

We love you Starpooh!!
    Amy

• julie94062
    14 years ago

I just wanted to let everyone know that the FKB checklist is very quick, easy, and well organized (I did it last night). You don't need a lot of details (like part numbers), so if anyone's dragging their heels thinking it's intimidating or time-consuming, don't! :-) It just takes a few minutes.

• pinch_me
    14 years ago

The check list will take about 3 minutes. Do it!

I am one of those who didn't think my very modest kitchen fit in with the kitchens I saw on the Finished Kitchens. At the beginning of my remodel I wasn't even going to post any pictures here but the friends I've made here wanted to see. And then the other day someone posted that they didn't have a magazine kitchen but they needed help anyway. Would we help her. So I thought, yup. Better post for that 1% who have the same budget I had. I doubt anyone will copy my entire kitchen but they might get an idea or see how something looks and say yea or nay. I know from my experience seeing all those kitchens gave me the choice to form my own plan from there.

I would still be wondering if I could do it if it weren't for this generous group and the finished kitchens. Now I say I DID IT!

• riverspots
    14 years ago

starpooh-I don't remember, offhand, which links no longer worked. I noticed it when I was looking at different granites. Very often the links from kitchens originally posted before '06 didn't work-all that was left was the one or two small pics on your page.