Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
three_daisies

That's Right, It's Another White Kitchen, $20K Budget, Finished!!

three_daisies
14 years ago

Hi all! Our ubiquitous white kitchen was completed in December and just now posting pics. I don't know how you all take such wonderful photos because I had a hard time capturing the kitchen well. The color is off and pics are fuzzy. Thanks to all you great GW-ers - I asked some stupid questions and absorbed a lot of info/wisdom by lurking which was certainly helpful as I navigated this process by myself (DH was of no help!).

I was the "KD" and GC. Our 1976 kitchen was barely functioning - all drawers were broken as were the ovens and microwave.

The only major changes were relocating the fridge where the old desk was, putting the micro over the wall oven, and having the pantry opening changed and double doors installed (and Elfa shelving inside). It's amazing how much storage we gained by those relatively small changes.

The only regrets are that I didn't have the patience to have hardwoods finished on site and that the backsplash grout turned out way too light...and I should have bought the Kohler Vinnata faucet (but I do love our Moen faucet anyway)! Other than that, we're pleased.

A few details:

Came in right about $20K.

Original cabinets were refaced by local carpenter/craftsman who also repaired, reinforced and rehabbed the cabinet boxes.

Carpenter built custom island and hood, pull out shelving.

Black galaxy granite

Daltile 3x6 white subway tile (Lowe's)

Cabinets, moulding, and door paint: BM White Dove

Wall paint: BM Lancaster Whitewash

Floors: prefinished red oak.

16 recessed lights and undercabinet lights added.

Before:

Before (oven wall & previous built in desk):

Before:

After!

Island w/trash pullout (possibly my favorite feature)

New pull out drawers/shelves & fridge where old useless desk was:

What I would LOVE input on is

1. Window treatment ideas - for bay by table and over sink (kitchen faces west & we need sunlight control)

2. Where should I put my 15" flat screen TV?? On end of cabinet run nearest to table or in corner where red platter is by cooktop? We eat 90% of meals at the island anymore and barely use our kitchen table (other than for kids' homework), so TV visibility from table, while nice, isn't essential.

Comments (95)

• weidiii
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

No Way. Sorry to be the skeptic here. I don't believe you got that beautiful kitchen for under 20k. I want to see the books! :)
    Did that include all the new appliances? Plumbing for new fridge? New cabinets built where the old fridge was and around the old desk? The molding? The lights in the dining room? It is such a well done space. The layout and proportions are above par. Good for you. Enjoy!

• kaidan
    14 years ago

Thank you so much for checking on the floors! I would love to know that info but don't go crazy looking.

• redwhine
    14 years ago

Nice job! I love the color combination of white and black and the color floor you have. It's amazing you did all that for 20k!

• redwhine
    14 years ago

Nice job! I love the color combination of white and black and the color floor you have. It's amazing you did all that for 20k!

• purplbee
    14 years ago

Wow this is a beautiful kitchen, I dream about having a kitchen this beautiful. I love all your choices. I'm wondering if you could tell me what kind of trim rings you have on your 6" cans.

Thanks

• three_daisies
    Original Author
    14 years ago

kaidan - I am still looking for the hardwood floor info! It's not in the first file - everything was so jumbled and thrown around during the reno that I know there's another pile of kitchen invoices somewhere. I should really get them together in one central file anyway. What I do know is that it's white oak, 3.5" wide, prefinished, pecan color...and I'll get back with you with the hopefully the manufacturer name as soon as I can. :)

purplbee - Thank you for the compliment! Pretty much all I know is that the electrician purchased the 6 light "contractor's" pack (which had the baffle & trim included I think). The Home Depot receipt I have on file wasn't helpful to figure it out either....sorry!

• swspitfire
    14 years ago

WOW- beautiful kitchen and great budget!

• sherwhy
    14 years ago

Three Daisies, Maybe I missed it but did you go with the RH Gilmore knobs or are they the bistro?

Thanks,
    Sherry

• Yvonne B
    14 years ago

Your kitchen is loveley! I really like the white you used for the cabinets. We're thinking of doing something similar, and I have a few questions. Were the doors painted in place, or before they were installed?

It looks like you went from a double sink to a single, and I'm thinking of doing the same. Do you miss the second drain?

Many thanks, Yvonne

• doraville
    14 years ago

I wish I had made all your choices. Wonderful job!

• lala girl
    14 years ago

Gorgeous! Seriously, it is photos like yours that keep me slogging thru the planning (endless planning) and the nitty-gritty details (very gritty) - thank you for sharing and for being such an inspiration to me while I am still in process!

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

three-daisies, I LOVE your kitchen. I love the black galaxy granite that I may now look into. What is the edge that you used that looks so nice? The love the BM Dove White color of your kitchen cabinets and the hidden hinges as well as the chrome hardware that really updates the kitchen. I love the BM Lancaster Whitewash color of the walls with everything in your kitchen that really adds the wow factor for me making the kitchen so peaceful and elegant as well as beautiful. The love the new appliances and that cool clock that goes so well. The floors are so beautiful and look great in your kitchen.

Thanks for letting me know you used 6" cans since I think that is what I want to do in my kitchen since I want a lot of light. What type of light bulb and what wattage are in each recessed light can? The lighting is great in your kitchen so I thank you for sharing to give me ideas.

I have the same Wheat-back chairs but mine are stained lighter and I love my kitchen set like I love yours. My table is a little different since I needed a table that the sides folded down and one that had a center piece that could be placed in or out depending on if I had company since my kitchen is not too big.

I wish I could remove the soffit in my kitchen but I am not sure what is under it. I also love the stools you used for the island.

• three_daisies
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, all!

As for the questions, glad to help:

Sherry - I actually used cheapo Home Depot chrome knobs to save money (there were so many of them) but used the RH Gilmore pulls on the few drawers I had.

Yvonne - the new doors were painted/lacquered prior to installation while the existing cabinet boxes were primed/painted/lacquered in place. Yes, we did switch to a large single bowl sink - I had done that in a previous kitchen renovation and knew for sure I wanted that. We love it - DH is so happy with the single sink and he doesn't even care about kitchen stuff! The sink is nice and deep - hides anything, and it's so easy to use w/out the divider. I highly recommend.

Lynn2006 - my kids loved the black galaxy (looks like stars, mom!) thus we couldn't resist it. We are happy with the choice. The edge is a standard eased edge, nothing fancy, with 1/4" radius corners. BTW, the clock is from Restoration Hardware. It was one of the few new accessory purchases I made for the new kitchen. I love my wheatback chairs but need a larger table, preferably a nice distressed farmhouse style - just can't afford it right now. :) The counter stools are from Target, $39 each!

• danielle84
    14 years ago

Excellent job.
    You must be so proud of yourself. How long did it take from start to finish?
    What do you like the most about it. Is there something you could not do without?
    Now enjoy and brag about it

• monicakm_gw
    14 years ago

WOWZA! That's a great looking kitchen you've created for your family :) I know you'll enjoy waking up in the mornings and walking into such a beautiful space :)
    I'd put the tv in the corner between the stove and sink. You'll be able to see it from either one of those locations, plus the island.
    Monica

• suzluvsflowers
    14 years ago

Your new kitchen is absolutely beautiful! Wow!! Your "before" cupboards look much like my present ones, and we too have decided to have new doors made since cabinets are in great condition and our layout works well (with few tweaks).
    Could you please tell me what materials your woodworker used to build doors? We had a guy here yesterday that gave us an estimate and would use MDF for inset panel and paint grade maple for raised surround. Also, what kind of hinges were used? Thanks, and again, great job! Enjoy!

• Yvonne B
    14 years ago

Thanks three_daisies. One more question - Which sink did you end up with, and how deep is it? The hidden hinges do make a difference. I was going to continue to use the exposed hinges, but I like the look you have.

thanks again.

• poppy09
    14 years ago

Hi three_daisies--beautiful transformation! It really looks professionally designed. I think I have read a post from you before, and I think we live in the same town (?). Would you recommend your "local carpenter/craftsman"?

(TIA)-

• kelvar
    14 years ago

Very, very pretty. Congratulations!! And I love your floors as well!

• three_daisies
    Original Author
    13 years ago

suzluvsflowers - my assumption, until you asked that question, is that the carpenter used all wood for the doors, but I'm not 100% certain of that. Definitely the raised part of the door is wood. I'm sorry I don't know the hinges exactly, but they are very strong and simple -the door can "snap" off and then can snap back on again (if that helps any).

yandj - I definitely recommend the hidden hinges. Before, my kitchen was all hinges - too much distracting hardware. It just makes for a cleaner look in my opinion. The sink was from the granite fabricator; it's 9" deep and 29" x 16" - I have no idea of the brand.

poppy - yes I would recommend the carpenter team that we used - while the process wasn't w/out a few hitches, they did good work and I felt it was a nice bunch of guys. Of course it took longer than forecast but not a surprise. His price was very reasonable as well. I'm in the ATL area; let me know if you want his name.

Thanks again for the compliments!

• poppy09
    13 years ago

Hi three daisies: I am in the ATL area as well. Would love the recommendation. Your kitchen is gorgeous. You are welcome to email me directly if you prefer!

• teaforwendy
    13 years ago

Love your kitchen. It looks really peaceful. The BM Lancaster Whitewash - is that name of the color or is it a special whitewash finish?

The chrome pulls and knobs look amazing. I wonder if I can go chrome with a SS faucet?

• mdrive
    13 years ago

absolutely lovely kitchen.....I'm in the planning stage right now and I'm deciding on appliances....and I noticed your wall oven/microwave appears to be Fridgidaire...is so would you mind sharing the model number? also how do you like them? Thanks, and again, just a superb job!

• mdrive
    13 years ago

oh and one more thing...you have the exact refrigerator i decided on as well, samsung french door (counter depth)

are you pleased with it thus far?

Thanks again!

• kitchenconfidential2
    13 years ago

Nice job! I just saved your island as I will be redoing my island soon. Your kitchen looks so peaceful. Love it.

• willowdecor
    13 years ago

Great job!! Great price!! I am officially wow-ed!!!
    xx-Willow

• L H
    13 years ago

Looks great!

Can you tell me the brand of prefinished red oak? I really love it.

• jb1176
    13 years ago

Please tell me the paint color you used on the cabinets and the walls.

You have a beautiful kitchen. It is very welcoming and family friendly. How do you like the Black Galaxy? Is it difficult to keep clean without streaks?

• jb1176
    13 years ago

Sorry, i found the answer regarding the paint question on another thread. I think you used White Dove for your cabinets, but I'm still uncertain about the wall color and the Black Galaxy cleaning question. Thanks for posting your kitchen pictures!

• sandbox5
    13 years ago

Holy Cow! What a great job! I can't wait to be at that point where I can post "finished" pics, too!
    I am a huge sunlight fan but also being in the South, I understand how brutal it can be in the summer at certain times of day. I would opt for a small roman shade type deal where it would be minimally obtrusive on the window but you could lower it as much as you wanted for dining and no sun in the eyes. Otherwise, I would leave them up all the time and enjoy the brightness.
    Again, congrats...maybe you should open your own kitchen redesign business given all the positive feedback!

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

Totally Fabulous!!!

• shelayne
    13 years ago

It is absolutely beautiful--sparkly and fresh!

I love it! Great job!

• countrygal_905
    13 years ago

I must have missed this thread before. How did you do that for $20,000? It looks amazing. I am loving my Black Galaxy too!

• starpooh
    13 years ago

Hi three_daisies -
    May I archive your kitchen to the Finished Kitchens Blog?
    You can either email me with permission (starpooh@gmail.com) or indicate your permission in this posting.
    Then, at a later time, please submit the FKB Category Checklist so I can easily categorize your kitchen.
    Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: FKB Category Checklist

• cplover
    13 years ago

Three_Daises- I am interested in installing hardwood floors in my kitchen to match the hardwood floors in the rest of the home. I saw from the photos that you had hardwood floors in one of the photos. Did you encounter any problems getting your hardwood floors to match? Any advice? I just had the hardwood floors in my home refinished (no stain) two years ago if that helps. Love your kitchen!! I love white kitchens and am hoping to have one of my own soon!! Yours will serve as inspiration!

• sixmagnolialane
    13 years ago

Hi three daisies-
    BEAUTIFUL KITCHEN (especially great value $)- will greatly increase your enjoyment and at some point, resale. There's so may things I like but want to ask about your hardwood floors. Could you provide specifics? Brand, collection name, color. Are they plank? how wide? are there grooves/bevel on ends? I believe you've confired they are white oak. I too am attempting to match existing looking at options...
    Thanks ~

• animalnut
    13 years ago

Hi three_daisies! Your kitchen is the one I keep coming back to... over and over and over again. EVERYTHING about it is just soooo beautiful!!! My old cabinets will also be repaired and rehabbed by a local craftsman. Do you happen to know where I might find the molding that your carpenter/craftsman used to make the outer raised area on the cabinet doors and drawer fronts? What you have is exactly what I've been looking for but can't find. Any guidance is very much appreciated.

• computerklutz
    13 years ago

Beautiful! I love your kitchen! Your pantry's next the fridge, those are so awesome. You really did a beautiful job.

• emteddy823
    13 years ago

WOW!! Your kitchen is gorgeous! I am outside of Atlanta and about to start our kitchen remodel. Our budget is 20-25,000 so yours is a great visual for me. Would you mind messaging/emailing me your cabinet guys info? Thanks!

• phoggie
    13 years ago

I was looking through some older posts and found your kitchen for under $20K.... How in the world did you do that ...and granite too? Please post the breakdown of costs....this is amazing!...and an amazing job also!

• marytwit
    13 years ago

It's fabulous! I'd love to cook in it!

• redroze
    13 years ago

Another beauty!! Where in the world did you get that amazing tea towel with the pom poms? Etsy perhaps?

• drybean
    13 years ago

Your kitchen is gorgeous. I've been coming back to this page daily for several days.

You did a wonderful job. I hope your family is enjoying your new space!

• sunnny
    13 years ago

I would like to know about the towel as well. LOVE IT and your lovely kitchen. I am going to refinish my table and never thought about wheat grass chairs but yours look inviting and I might give that a try.
    LOVELY KITCHEN!
    Sunny

• txpepper
    13 years ago

I would mount the telly on an articulating arm underneath the upper cabinet closest to the dining table. Most likely you will need to attach it to a stud. Hopefully you could make the edge of the telly flush with the end of the cabinet/counter.

Using an arm will allow you to pivot the telly toward the DR table, the island or the sink. And then you can fold it flat against the wall for a more streamline look when not in use.

With this arrangement, you might have to move the radio/speakers.

As mentioned by another commenter/s, I would love to see a general breakdown of cost.

Lovely kitchen. Enjoy it in good health!

• kelsey_justin
    13 years ago

How do you like the hardwood floors in the kitchen? Does it hold up well to water and what not?
    Nice kitchen you Did a good job

• munchladyland
    13 years ago

holy moley! that's one beautiful kitchen!

• ttla
    13 years ago

Love the faucet! Can you tell me about it? Great job!

• ttla
    13 years ago

Oops! How did I miss that? I see you already said the faucet is a Moen!

• momnwoods_aol_com
    13 years ago

Looks very nice and finished...clean..not cluttered!!

I have to admit...I am not favorable to black in the kitchen...but, you did it right by using the white cupboards...floor selection nice too..very neutral, not too yellow..dark, GREAT choice!!! Also, when I scrolled over to the "art work" on the wall..goes to show you how the art work you choose can "tie it all in"..good choice, nice.