Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kellienoelle

Backsplash help - after granite install this time (pics)!

kellienoelle
12 years ago

Now that cabinets and counters are in, I am ready to make a final decision on the backsplash. I had requested help before (link below), but you get a much better idea when everything else is in place. I have a few options for which I am in the need of opinions. Here is an overall so you know what I am working with

Here is what I am thinking, I like the 3"x12" cream tiles. In the photos, one of the tiles is matte, one is polished. Unfortunately the polished one is almost twice the cost of the matte, so we'll probably be going matte (the one on the top). The other tiles are the Sonoma creamy crackle and come in a 3"x8" size so are a "backup" option, but I think that I like the others a little better. I was going to put in the Sonoma Tantrum Crushed Glass Slivers as an accent tile, still working out the pattern but probably two of the cream tiles, two rows of the glass tile, two of the cream, two of the glass, two of the cream.

So, questions.....first, should I do the cream tiles stacked or staggered? I know that the stacked would be a more contemporary look, and I am cool with that in the backsplash.

Second, colors - they have so many awesome colors and here are the ones that we are looking at:

Pewter

Green Tea

River

Earth

And then here are a couple just laid on the granite for a closer shot

Which do you like the best? We really like the colors of the walls so likely won't be painting.

Third - on the right wall we are putting up two floating shelves (where the blue tape is now). I am thinking of not putting a backsplash over there, thoughts on that?

Fourth - any pattern ideas different from mine?

Thanks for looking!

Here is a link that might be useful: Previous thread

Comments (25)

• Anfrale
    12 years ago

1: staggered 2: I like pewter because you have alot of brown in the cabinets & floor and need to brighten up the black splash. 3: I would agree with not putting a backsplash behind the coffee pot. Following the upper cabinets with backsplash looks better. 4: your pattern choice is great.

• lazy_gardens
    12 years ago

I like the 3x12 matte! Plain, all-over, no accent strips.

Your granite has a lot of life, and it would fight with any fancy backsplash.

• carp123
    12 years ago

I agree with lazygardens. I do like the glossy though. If you skipped the accent, maybe the cost of the glossy would even out a bit?

• gingerjenny
    12 years ago

i'm no good at picking but i really like staggered. Do you mind posting what cabinets you used. I'm in love with the look of your kitchen. It is sooo pretty! We are looking more mission so straight lines. I love the color too. would you be willing to post a layout of your kitchen or the dimensions?
    I have a hard time figuring out what the dimensions of kitchens look like in real life but your kitchen looks perfect!! is the backsplash sparkly in real life...it looks that way on the computer? i don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

• msrose
    12 years ago

My eyes can't tell the difference in the polished and mat, so it would be hard for me to pay twice as much :) I like staggered and pewter. Now, please tell us what your beautiful granite and paint color is!

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the feedback! Lazygardens and Carp, I see what you are saying, Beekeeperswife said the same thing in my last thread. The granite really does have a lot going on, it is one of the reasons why I loved it so much. The same thing that drew me to that is probably drawing me to the glass tiles because I want the sparkle, flash, and bling of it! But I understand not overdoing it and have a backsplash that competes. What do you think about maybe just doing one row? Still too much? I really wish I could find a pic that has a similar look, but so far have struck out.

ginger - thanks, I am really happy with them. They are Kraftmaid, the color is Kaffe. Let me see if I can track down a layout, but the dimensions of the "cabinet area" is about 11 x 13. We actually didn't change the footprint with the remodel because we didn't have significant problems with the functionality. Plus we didn't have tons of money and moving around plumbing and doors would have opened up a whole new can of worms!

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks msrose, the difference is also in the "feel" of it. I was a bit concerned that it would be harder to keep the matte clean because it just feels more porous, but the tile person said that it won't stain.

The granite is Delicatus, I love it. The paint is SW Silverplate. It was actually our old color so I am quite delighted that it works with the new stuff since we had been happy with the color.

• sherwoodva
    12 years ago

Wow, you kitchen looks amazing. For the glass tile, I like "river" it shows on my monitor as a light brown. "Earth" seems too dark and contrasty. The pewter is a pretty color, but the tile seems big. Can you get it in a smaller tile?

I like staggered, too, but you can do a mock up with a photocopier. Tape it to the wall and see which way you like it.

• badgergal
    12 years ago

Kellie, you cabinets and granite look great. The cream backsplash tiles will look nice but I think they will look even nicer with some sparkle added by the crackled glass accent tiles. I would choose either pewter or river. I dont think adding a little bling will compete with your granite. Go for it.

• dianalo
    12 years ago

Pewter is my first choice. River would also work.
    Can you post a rough mockup of your pattern? Photoshop might help.
    What is your plan to work around the window?

• westsider40
    12 years ago

Holy shmoly, your kitchen is gorgeous! Regal! I do not like backsplashes, tiles anyway, and think your room looks more modern with just paint.

Your kitchen is a breath of fresh air. Not copycat at all. Lovely.

Once people and food and stuff are in the picture, it just gets cluttery. I know I am in the minority on that subject here.

You have made wonderful choices already.

• westsider40
    12 years ago

Put a great piece of art, a big piece, over the counter where the coffeepot is. A framed poster, even! Or a jumbo photo, a la Sochi. Instead of tile. You will then have the option of easily replacing it if your tastes or your accent colors change.

• sprtphntc7a
    12 years ago

i agree with lazygardens and carp. your granite has alot of movement so i wouln't want it to compete with the backsplash. let the granite steal the show, its gorgeous!!

love the idea of art work on coffee pot wall, then you can change when your tastes change or make changes according to the season...have fun with that space.

your kitchen is beautiful..i also went dark and love it!!!

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks to all! I am pretty happy with how it is turning out. Many decisions I made were due to the advice here so I can't even begin to express my gratitude to this community. Once the pulls and finishing touches go on, I just know I am going to love it. It looks like the consensus is staggered, but the vote is mixed on if the glass tiles will fight the granite or accent it so decisions decisions....I'll try to do a PS mockup or something, I am just not so great at PS! And around the window....hmmm, I want it to be linear so I guess it would depend on where the line "fell" in the design. The other problem area will be around the stainless panel that I bought to go behind the range. The tile lady suggested framing it with one row of the Tantrum tiles to make for a nice transition, but I am not so sure how that would look.

Colorcrazy - I'll be getting the slivers in whatever color I choose, they just didn't have a sample of that in the pewter. I actually want the slivers that are uniform in size (if you look at earth and green tea, one is a little larger than the other.

Regarding the area over the coffee pot, I love the art idea, preferable something colorful to add some life. That area is a work in progress, hopefully the shelves will go up today so I will have a better idea. One plan that I do have is to put up a teapot collection on the shelves, but there will be room behind them for art, photos, etc, I am sure.

sprt - I am happy I went dark, I was so in love with all the white GW kitchens that it was what I was originally planning for white until my husband nixed the idea. I was worried that it would look dark, but it really doesn't at all (and we still have two more layers of light yet to be installed). In the daytime it is pretty bright and sunny, at night (when the pic was taken) it is kind of cozy.

• ILoveRed
    12 years ago

I adore your lights! What does the rest of your house look like? If it's not contemporary, I like the tile closest to your flour canister without any of dark tile,.

Your kitchen is beautiful.

If you go with that tile, have your electrician come back and change out your backsplash outlets from white to off white. Cheap and they will almost disappear into the tile.

Well done.

• pricklypearcactus
    12 years ago

Love your kitchen so far! The cabinets and granite are stunning. Like the others, I can't distinguish between the matte and polished in the pictures, so go with what you like best and can afford. I too like staggered better than stacked (and I am a fan of contemporary and modern style). I like the shape and color of the 3x12s better than the other cream tiles. I love the pewter accent followed closely by river. I don't particularly like green tea or earth accents. I agree that pulling out the cool silvery/gray colors in the granite would look fabulous. Overall I think your vision is spectacular and the backsplash materials you've selected are just perfect. I look forward to seeing your gorgeous finished kitchen.

• jalsy6
    12 years ago

Before I saw any of the tile choices, I was thinking how lovely a creamy crackled subway (or even 3X12) would look...not sure if that's really in the running, but I think it would compliment but not overpower, and also add some lightness to contrast the beautiful dark cabs. I'm not a huge fan of backsplashes with accent tiles...as I think those can eventually look dated. But if it sings to you that way, then go for it, my vote would be pewter accents for sure.

Lovely kitchen, can't wait to see it finished all the way!

• christine40
    12 years ago

I used the Sonoma crushed glass accents with my typhoon Bordeaux granite. I definately think it could work! I love the tiles, they add bling!

• ILoveRed
    12 years ago

Christine-your hood is beautiful. Where did you get it? Custom?

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Just got back from talking to the contractor. What I am leaning to is the matte 3"x12" tiles in a staggered pattern with one double row of the pewter glass tiles. Since the opinions seem to be mixed, I think that is just comes down to preference, and what can I say, I think I am a bling type of gal! Plus if I DON'T do it, I'll wonder how it would have looked since I just love the tiles so much. That is what I am thinking right now but ask me again in 5 minutes. I can't believe that this may be my final decision, whatever will I do with myself after this?

red_lover - the rest of the house is more on the traditional side, but I really love contemporary. So the look I was going for was transitional so the kitchen didn't look totally out of place (I struggled with this early in the remodel process and got some great advice along the way here). The backsplash is the one place that I am letting myself lean towards more modern, and I am OK with that.

jalsy - I was considering the sonoma creamy crackle subways, that was what originally took me into this tile showroom was to check those out. However, they only had them in a 3 x 8, although they are quite beautiful. When they heard what I wanted they brought out the 3 x 12 and I really loved the shape of them. Plus I really loved the price! If you look at the pics, the creamy crackles are on the left side (although in square) and the color looks too "bright" to me, but that may just be lighting.

Christine - I just love your kitchen and how you used those tiles too, they are just so beautiful. I also was considering the Typhoon Bordeaux granite, so obviously I just love all of your choices!

• rhome410
    12 years ago

Oh, I'm glad to read your decision, because I though the pewter was by far the best of the accents (I agree that you have enough warmth and browns, so this was a nice match while being a cool-toned addition that really brings your countertops to life for me), and I do think you can do the bling if you want it. I'm also excited for how the coffee area turns out, as it's a perfect place for some color and fun!

• pricklypearcactus
    12 years ago

Absolutely agree with rhome that the cool-toned addition brings your counters to life. They are beautiful anyway, but yowza that pewter just works. I also absolutely agree with your assessment that at least in the picture the creamy crackle tiles look too "bright" with your counter.

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I kind of like the mix of warm and cool tones, so am really happy with the pewter. Plus it looks awesome with the stainless too, I think it is going to tie everything together quite nicely.

So, moving on now, the shelves were installed today! I took the advise here and placed a couple of colorful photos that I had in the living room on the shelves and I think that I like how it looks. Maybe need some different frames, get a couple more for the top shelf, and start getting creative with the camera, but I really like the idea. Here is a pic, what do you think?

• podogpodog
    12 years ago

Where did you get your pendant lights????

• cakelly1226
    12 years ago

First of all your kitchen is gorgeous! I would do all plain with matte or polished. Having just put in our back splash with a busy granite, I am still thinking my blended butter is even too much contrast and worried that it is fighting my countertop:( so much so that I pulled some of the high contrast tiles ( too dark or light) from the other side of the room they are tiling tomorrow.