Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kellienoelle

Backsplash help - guess it takes a village to select one

kellienoelle
12 years ago

I'll add to the list of people asking for a little backsplash help. My remodel is coming along nicely, cabinets delivered, will be installed this week, hopefully granite by week end. So that means that the big backsplash decision that I have been putting off is looming closer and closer.

The "style" of the kitchen is transitional. I love modern/contemporary kitchens but it didn't really fit into to my mostly traditional house. The cabinets are cherry in a stain called Kaffe, so a med/dark stain, in kind of a "modified" shaker style. The counters are delicatus granite, the floors are red oak in a medium stain, walls are a gray that can be painted, but I really like the current color if it will work. I wanted to go a bit more contemporary with the backsplash, do something a bit different than the traditional subway, I was originally looking at glass, but have some budgetary constraints. So here is where I am so far....I found these 3x12 cream colored tiles that I am thinking of having laid in a stacked pattern (even staggered, the different shape makes a bit more contemporary) and these wonderfully gorgeous, but expensive linear glass tiles. So, I was thinking of adding in the decorative glass tiles as an accent in maybe two linear strips running the length of the backsplas h(I can't find a pic similar to what I am envisioning, but have seen one GW'er who had something similar but I can't recall who). So, pictures paint a thousand words so here some are, albeit in my current state of construction so ignore the mess.

One of the cabinets (you can also see the wall color)

My husband and I trying to hold up the tiles next to the cabinets and tiny granite sample, so picture the cream tiles stacked broken by two strips of those glass tiles. Oh, and one is matte and one is glossy, so that will be another decision

And for a "safer" option, I like these Sonoma crackle cream tiles too, but they only come in the traditional 3x6 subway size.

And then here is a pic of them laying down since it was kind of hard to hold them up.

So, what do you think? Yay or nay? I know that accents don't get a whole lot of love here, but I would love to use that beautiful glass somewhere, I can't afford that much of it. Thanks for the help!

Comments (14)

• dilly_ny
    12 years ago

Do the thinner glass tiles have similiar coloring to the darker tone in your countertop? On my screen, the smaller tiles look more brown and the granite looks more greyish.

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The glass tiles is almost a perfect match to the lighter tones in the granite samples that I have. Now whether it will be a perfect match to my actual granite remains to be seen since delicatus has a lot of variation between slabs. I know that my actual slab has a lot more brown in it than gray. I am planning on waiting until everything is installed to make a final decision and pull the trigger on the backsplash, but want to have a pretty good idea of what I am going to do since it will take several weeks to order.

• abfabamy
    12 years ago

I love the 3 x 12 cream tiles and linear crushed glass tiles together. I think that makes a great updated transitional look. I think if you use the accent tiles thoughtfully it won't look overdone. If you can't find a picture of what you have in mind, can you sketch it out and post it?

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'll try to put something together, I wish I was more adept at photoshop. But in the meantime, here is a backsplash that I found on houzz that follows the same general idea, just in a more traditional setting, with different materials including shapes and sizes of tiles, but the linear pattern of the accent tiles would be the same. In what I am envisioning, the glass tiles will be much narrower than the stacked tiles rather than the same width as these are. I am not married to the idea of having two rows of the glass tiles, if it makes more sense to do just one, it would actually be a money saver too. I am really just hoping to find some plan that looks nice that can incorporate the crushed glass tiles since they are so beautiful

Here is a link that might be useful: [Sample on which mine will be very loosely based![(https://www.houzz.com/photos/case-design-remodeling-inc-contemporary-kitchen-dc-metro-phvw-vp~96547)

• dianalo
    12 years ago

I love a nice liner tile. I think it would look lovely with 1 row or 2. If you do one, I'd do it fairly high up or it will get lost behind anything you keep on the counter.
    I'd do a glossy with it.

• badgergal
    12 years ago

I like the larger 3 x12 tiles and the glass accent tiles add just enough "bling" to make a statement but not be over the top. It seems like your decisions are all coming together nicely. Can't wait to see the reveal. Good luck with the upcoming cabinet install.

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

I love your color choices. I think the backsplash will be smashing.

• boxerpups
    12 years ago

I love the accents.

Who doesn't like accents? Ignore them, it will be lovely.

• christine40
    12 years ago

We just had ours installed. What color is that sonoma accent tile? I found those, fell n love and had to have! I did the 2x2's, a d the mosaic behind the range. The field is their limestone subway! Loving it so far!

• beekeeperswife
    12 years ago

This is my personal opinion. Only you know what feels right in your space, I'm not there to see it in person, ok?.

I always love the look of one tile. I think the 3x12 tile alone will be enough to give you some pizzaz. I think your counter is gorgeous and doesn't need competition. But yet, that 3x12 is not a typical subway so the shape is what makes it special. And if you consider this idea but still want something more, you can always do something over the range ...such as taking that same tile and doing a herringbone pattern inside of a picture frame.

I'm afraid if you put a stripe around the room (no matter how gorgeous it is), it will become the feature of your kitchen because it's where the eye will be drawn to first.

Again, just my thoughts. The backsplash is a difficult decision, I remember the struggles. I am not looking forward to those struggles again! ugh

• ayerg73
    12 years ago

kellienoelle - I know how you feel about that beautiful accent tile. I have been coveting the exact same tile. It is beautiful IRL - the pics don't do it justice!

I think it will look great!

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the feedback and reassurance, I know what I like but keep second guessing so it is nice to hear others agree. This place has steered me in the right direction so far, so I trust the feedback. It is so exciting seeing everything coming together after the months of planning.

Christine - your backsplash looks great! I just love those accent pieces, and I can just imagine how great that mix of them looks behind your range. Question for you, the samples that I have are quite a bit thicker than the cream tiles that I have. Is that how yours are as well? Does that look awkward?

Bee - thanks for your input. My original thought was doing something grand behind the range, but I actually ended up buying a stainless panel to put there instead. Much easier to clean after all! You may be right about letting the granite shine (like it will) I'll have to see how it looks once installed. I think badgergal's words ring true, I will have to fight off my urge for more "bling", I like some bling, I want more bling!!

• beekeeperswife
    12 years ago

Can you add the bling somewhere else? Lighting? Or the hardware?

I had considered using those same glass tiles in my design (pre-arabesque) in the rhomboid pattern. But for me, it felt like I was stealing something from the granite. With my arabesques, it's the shape that makes the bs so interesting, not the color or material.

Once you get the granite in, then you can really determine what you like. Drawing it out on paper, life size and taping it up on the wall is a great tool.

Best of luck.
    Bee

• christine40
    12 years ago

Kelliemoelle...
    Once everything was in and grouted it's fine, but being that the field is natural stone and the accent is glass, there is some variation. But natural looking. The mosaic behind the range is "bumpy" as well, as there are 3 different stones plus the glass in there.