Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
avesmor_gw

Granite broke after 6 months... grrr...

avesmor
13 years ago

Just came home to find that my granite countertop that protrudes from the cooktop, almost exactly at the cooktop's halfway point, has broken. It looks like a jagged crack and runs from top to bottom (you can see it clearly, and feel it on the underside/face). This was a new construction that's just about 6 months old. This is not an area that gets ANY use whatsoever (we never place pots/pans there, would certainly not have dropped anything there...).

Of course, now I'm in "what happened" mode... does granite just spontaneously crack? Can a cooktop be installed too tightly & put stress on the granite?

Grr... hope my builder's comprehensive warranty will cover this. Or the fabrictor has some kind of warranty. Of course they're closed now. I'd like to find a cause so I could thwart any potential "you did it" rebuttals...

Comments (13)

• dianalo
    13 years ago

OMG, I am so sorry! I think it can be repaired well, but the question is who will pay for it.
    I would think the fabricator would take care of it for the builder if the builder gives them a lot of business.
    I am not sure how builder warranties work where you live, but there may be state laws about it.

Please post pix and let us know how you make out.

• avesmor
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The builder uses the fabricator exclusively. They aren't bulk builders, but they do a decent business in the custom market and use granite in all their homes.

I emailed them (builders) and they've already responded asking for pictures of the crack, and where the seams are, so it sounds like they're thinking replacement. Ut oh, we had a near perfect pattern match... hoping it can just be fixed!

I altered the contrast on these so it would be easier to find.

• Fori
    13 years ago

New houses do tend to settle. I wonder if your floors are still level. It can be fixed I'm sure.

• mudworm
    13 years ago

That would bum me out too. I hope your builder/fabricator can take care of it for you.

Now it makes me wonder whether it's a good idea to get a long slab and just cut holes for the sink and the cooktop. Was it larsi who posted a few days ago a photo of the black granite that just "framed" the cooktop (therefor the granite on both sides is not continuous)? It looks good too. I should have saved that link. Meant to ask more about it...

• Stacey Collins
    13 years ago

The first thing I thought is what fori said: new houses can settle. Usually not a lot, and it's normal in the first -what? couple years or so? But since I tend to be a worry wort after all the trouble we've had on this house, if it were me I'd go around and look carefully at all the sheetrock... corners, seams, etc and see if you have anything separating. Or maybe ask the builder to check. It would be a bummer if there was some unusual reason the house was settling more than expected...

• warmfridge
    13 years ago

The same thing happened to my granite, only near the front corner of the sink. My fabricator repaired the crack, free of charge, and it only took him a few minutes. Now I can barely find it. I'm sure yours can be fixed too.

• avesmor
    Original Author
    13 years ago

A few weeks ago we noticed in our bedroom (directly above the kitchen) a very large crack from settling. Large enough that it needs to be taped. So far it's only on the ceiling.

It's a tray ceiling and the crack starts on the lower (tray "lip") part and runs from the ceiling down to the top of the window. I didn't put 2 + 2 together until last night. The crack isn't in the exact same place as the broken granite, but it's on the same wall and within a few feet -- certainly close enough!

Will be sending another email to my builder. Maybe I need to ask that the house level be checked too? :)

• avesmor
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I should add - this isn't on a particularly long slab. The granite seams are to either side of the cooktop, about 16" out.

Here is a picture of the area, approximate location of seams in blue & crack in red. The fabricator first tried to put them seam in the middle of the cooktop and I said nuh-uh. Now we have an unintential seam there. :)

• mtnfever (9b AZ/HZ 11)
    13 years ago

avesmor, I hope the granite fix is invisible, but maybe look around the outside of your house too for any cracking??

mudworm said "Now it makes me wonder whether it's a good idea to get a long slab and just cut holes for the sink and the cooktop. Was it larsi who posted a few days ago a photo of the black granite that just "framed" the cooktop (therefor the granite on both sides is not continuous)? It looks good too. I should have saved that link. Meant to ask more about it..."

I had just thought of the same kind of thing (not that I claim originality or anything of the sort) as a way to DIY prefab counters to get stone without blowing the budget. So I'd really like to find that thread. I've searched for "larsi" and "framed cooktop" and "black granite" but nothing comes up. Does anyone have any other ideas on what may turn up that thread on a search??

good luck avesmor!

• craftlady07
    13 years ago

oh man, that really stinks! I hope there is something they can do that doesn't involve an entire slab replacement!

Out of curiosity, what kind of granite do you have?

• Fori
    13 years ago

O dear. I hope it's just a few cosmetic things and nothing big. Granite cracks are repaired all the time and probably look better than seams since they aren't in a straight line.

Mtnfever, try the appliances forum--I think it was also in a post by Hulagal (or similar) asking about induction. If I did it, I'd use matching granite...or just go with a rangetop. :) But Avesmor just got unlucky! Usually these things hold up.

• mudworm
    13 years ago

Thanks to Google, I found the original thread (was from Appliances Forum) and started a new thread to discuss that solution. You can find the photo in that thread. I hope Larsi will see it.

• marcydc
    13 years ago

Mine did a similar thing, but from the corner of the cooktop out to the edge. The fabricator repaired it and no one could find if they tried. I suspect either my husband or the contractor stood on there to install the hood. But no one fessed up :)