Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mudworm_gw

Granite Frame for cooktop? Larsi, more information pls...

mudworm
13 years ago

I had been pondering for a while how we should do our granite countertop. Two sides of our kitchen will have L shaped countertop with the long side being about 17' long. The sink and the cooktop will be on that same side too. I was already worrying about the possibility that the long slab will break at the sink or the cooktop cutout (during transportation or after installation), and this thread just tells me that my worry is not ungrounded.

I wonder if Larsi's setup (shown in the photo at the bottom of this post) could be a solution to the problem. I'm hoping that by partitioning the slabs, the installation cost will be lower, but on the other hand, the fabricator will have more pieces of granite and more seams to work with, and maybe it'll end up costing more?

Anyway, Larsi, do you have the process photos on how you "framed" the granite for the cooktop? Does the cooktop get full support from all four sides?

(source)

Comments (8)

• mtnfever (9b AZ/HZ 11)
    13 years ago

(smacking self on forehead) D'oh, google site search, thank you mudworm! The appliances forum has too much tempting candy for me to hang out there.

wouldn't there be fewer seams and one less cutout for the cooktop, so less cost? though I don't remember charges for seams, just for more than one cutout, for the L-shaped granite in our previous kitchen.

would a farm/apron sink do the same thing to eliminate the narrow sink front/back, or does the apron sink still need a piece across the back? I suppose that back piece could be rather unnoticeably seamed between two side pieces, if you don't mind that in the back.

in addition to the narrow breakage concern, if you don't like seams either, then going with larsi's set up for both cooktop and sink makes your granite pieces all very square/rectangular for transport.

I hope larsi sees this too!

• macybaby
    13 years ago

Mine isn't granite, but that is what we did with the soapstone around our cooktop. We live in SD and most people give me the blank stare when I mention soapstone, so ours was fabricated and shipped from the east coast. I didn't trust that any cutouts would handle the trip so going with four pieces worked great for us. The best part is we only paid for the actual square inches used - cutouts cost a lot of additional money, plus you pay for the part they throw away.

Here are a few pictures of the project.

the clamps are holding the back piece in place since that was the one that had to be centered, the big pieces were slid into place once both the back and front piece were clamped down. One they were all expoyed, the whole thing was siliconed in place from the underside.

Our sink is a drop in apron front that goes all the way back to the wall so we didn't need to piece behind that.

• mudworm
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi, macybaby, Wow, that soapstone countertop is BEAUTIFUL!!! Thanks so much for the photos and detailed text on your project. More and more I like this idea. We will have black accent in our kitchen and I wonder if it'll look nice if I use black granite for the front and back strips. Once I pick out my stone (most likely granite), I'll talk to the fabricator about it.

• Fori
    13 years ago

I think Lars was retrofitting after a rangetop?

• davidro1
    13 years ago

i would do it.
    Soapstone forgives seams readily.

• mudworm
    Original Author
    13 years ago

fori > I think Lars was retrofitting after a rangetop?

Mine is not a retrofit, but at this moment, it seems like a good idea to me for new installation. Guess he's been too busy remodeling these days.

davidro1 > Soapstone forgives seams readily.

I take it you meant that the seams will not be too obvious in soapstone, which is beyond my budget. I suppose I could do the same thing with granite macybaby did with the soapstone, but not sure how much the seams will show. To eliminate that concern, I'm planning on going with black strips at the "cutout". With a black cooktop and with a black sink I'm planning to get, it might look interesting/unique, but on the back of my mind, I fear that it will look terrible. I have no way of knowing what the result will be until I could see it.

• davidro1
    13 years ago

I think you can get soapstone for very little. You are budget minded, and you seem to be handy too: go to YouTube and see how one makes ones own counters with soapstone. It gets delivered and you finish it. It is still a real stone, and it feels hard and is hard. But it's workable enough that you can do it yourself.

• mudworm
    Original Author
    13 years ago

davidro1, thanks for your vote of confidence. I'll look into the videos (I like to know how things are done even if we hire others to do it). If I didn't have a full time job and didn't mind living in inconvenience for quite a while, I'd like to do everything myself -- DIY is always interesting. But once I factor in the cost of tools, my time off, and the duration, I think I'll just have to delegate some tasks.

I live in the SF Bay Area. To be honest, I haven't seen soapstone at any stone yard I have visited. I did ask for them. But since we are far away from countertop installation, I haven't done any intense searching yet. I'll keep an eye out.