Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
calizzy

URGENT: is this seam normal?

calizzy
10 years ago

Is this mitered seam normal? I thought that the seam would be less noticible. It is the front overhang of the countertop. So, what would be the bullnose. It doesn't look too bad in the picture. I just thought the 2 pieces would be more flush.

This post was edited by calizzy on Fri, Mar 7, 14 at 17:10

Comments (18)

• twosit
    10 years ago

Is that a countertop seam? It looks like it is a different color? Go with your gut

• Errant_gw
    10 years ago

I can't really tell what we're looking at. Is that a counter to backsplash seam?

• calizzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks for the quick replies! It is the front edge. So, what would be the bullnose. It just has a wider gap that I was expecting. It doesn't look too bad in the picture, I guess. There are other spots in the countertop that are perfect, you can't see the seam edge at all.

• Errant_gw
    10 years ago

OK, I see what we're looking at now. Yeah, that gap seems a little wide, but I'm no expert. I did mitered edges on mine, as well. I'll have to take a closer look when I get home, but I don't believe I was able to see any sort of gap.

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

I really can't tell what the picture is showing, but I have mitered edges (Ceasarstone not granite) and the seam is invisible Is that the question?

• Vertise
    10 years ago

It's very close up but it doesn't look very neat. You say other areas look fine. Doesn't look like a bullnose edge either. It looks squared, maybe an eased edge. You were expecting a rounded edge? What does the order say?

Hold final payment until you work this out. Hope this is a credit card transaction.

• jellytoast
    10 years ago

I think that is the question, sjhockeyfan, and I think you have the correct answer ... the seam should be pretty much invisible.

Calizzy, a recent thread dealt with the same issue. Maybe you can get some insight there ...

Here is a link that might be useful: Help! My perfectionist tendencies are getting the best of me.

This post was edited by jellytoast on Fri, Mar 7, 14 at 18:03

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

The industry standard for seams is "inconspicuous" not "invisible". That's not the greatest picture, but from what I can see it certainly meets industry standards.

• jellytoast
    10 years ago

invisible, inconspicuous ... you know what I meant.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

It looks rather jagged and open. If it were inconspicuous, she wouldn't be noticing it or comparing it to other areas of the seam.

Does it feel rough? Are there many other areas like this? Did you ask them about it yet?

• jellytoast
    10 years ago

" ... If it were inconspicuous, she wouldn't be noticing it ... "

True that.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

A spot on your shirt can be made invisible. Joining solid surface, estone, stone, or plastic laminate cannot.

• jellytoast
    10 years ago

You don't need to continue to school me. I know the difference between inconspicuous and invisible. The seam on my granite is so inconspicuous that it's darn near invisible.

This post was edited by jellytoast on Sat, Mar 8, 14 at 9:44

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

jellytoast:

Of course you don't need schooling, but it's critical that fabricators set realistic expectations for customers.

• jellytoast
    10 years ago

Okay, I hear 'ya, but consider this ... I honestly think it is the customers who set the expectations for each other. When we see that other people have near perfect seams, edges, etc., we want them, too. And when someone posts and says, "Is this normal?" we base our answers on what we have or what we've seen. We all want our workmanship to compare favorably to others.

The OP said, "I thought the seam would be less noticeable," so they obviously had an expectation that wasn't met. What is a realistic expectation? If some fabricators can make their edge seams very inconspicuous, why can't they all? Shouldn't it be the customers who set the expectations for fabricators? And I'm not talking about lowering our expectations either. It's not exactly an unrealistic expectation if other fabricators can do it.

Here is a link that might be useful: What a good edge looks like

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

jellytoast:

As a person who's made jillions of seams, I can tell you it's more art than science. Sometimes you just never know what you're going to get.

• jellytoast
    10 years ago

" ... seams ...it's more art than science. Sometimes you just never know what you're going to get."

Do mean we as customers never know what we're going to get, or the person doing the fabricating never knows what result they're going to get? Either way, that's kind of scary!

• Vertise
    10 years ago

A lot of the time it's sales & marketing who sets the high or unrealistic expectations. High prices do too.

Can you take a clearer picture? Are there multiple locations?

Part of the area looks a bit crushed.