Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wall cabinets without handles/how to open

Posted by dcgreen10 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 25, 13 at 15:26

The wall cabinets in my old kitchen did not have handles. I opened them by pulling out on lower corners of the doors. The corners got rather scuzzy and needed to be regularly cleaned, but the doors opened just fine. Now, in my new kitchen, I want to have a wall cabinet that is right up against the wall and I don't have space for a filler--to accommodate a door handle. Have others had this problem? And how did you solve it?
Thanks, DCGreen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wall cabinets without handles/how to open

Google "recessed cabinet pulls" or "flush cabinet pulls" and you should find several options.

o

I have some doors where there is a small spring loaded push thingy that pushes open the cabinet door when you "push" on the cabinet door. None of my wall cabinets have handles. This is to keep the minimalist look. This is very common with European cabinets. I attached a video that you can see.

I also have some where there is carved cutout to pull the door open.

They both work well. I don't think about it anymore since this is what I have had for a few years.

Here is a link that might be useful: push to open system

o

Fillers aren't just for handle clearances. They HAVE to be used with full overlay cabinets because walls aren't straight enough to place a cabinet right next to them without at least 1" of filler.

o

The spring loaded push thingy is called a "touch latch". I have several - on minimalist looking doors and on glass doors. They work. They are cheaper than handles.

o

>The spring loaded push thingy is called a "touch latch".

Or a push latch

o

If your cabs are partial overlay you can router out a slight bit on the bottom of the door on the back, just enough for your fingers to slip under and pull the door open. My original kitchen doors were all that way. Never had issues with the facing getting scratched or the doors either

o

These push latches are interesting, but how do they work if I already have soft close hinges? Do you have to push the drawer close? There is another thread on slab doors where I just posted pictures. Trying to also achieve the minimalist look.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pulls for Slab Doors

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here