Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dkotov

Slab door cabinets owners - please show me your pulls or knobs?

Denitza Kotov
11 years ago

Thank you!

Comments (19)

• dljmth
    11 years ago

Looking for ideas too!! Here is a picture of the cabinets. Rift cut oak with a black/grey wash. They are smooth as silk. Can't figure out a pull that would work. Ideas?
    Thanks!!

• karin_mt
    11 years ago

LauraT, that looks like an incredible space. All those windows, wow! That is going to be spectacular.

Here's our slab doors in Baltic birch with Amerock Princetonian pulls.

• karen_belle
    11 years ago

Here are our maple cabs with Ikea pulls.

This post was edited by karen_belle on Tue, Mar 26, 13 at 12:12

• modern_mom35
    11 years ago

kind of a far-away pic, but you get the idea. we went with the standard, stainless steel bar pulls.

• Denitza Kotov
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Cat_mom: what is the wood and stain on your cabinets? Thank you!

All are beautiful kitchens! Thanks for sharing!

I am still stuck on the wood and stain of the cabinets - want not too modern and not too woody, grainy more sleek look of the wood - not sure if cherry is my best bet. I don't want too dark, not too light since my floors are golden oak hardwood floor and I need some contrast.

• jakabedy
    11 years ago

My hardware and cabinets are from IKEA.Your cabinets are are gorgeous. I think I would be tempted to show them off with just very simple tab-type pulls.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tab pulls something like this. . .

• dljmth
    11 years ago

I was thinking of those but they require the cabinet maker to route the drawers @ $10 each. That's about $400 not including the hardware. Yes, yes, in the grand scheme of costs it's not that bad but I am up to about 10 of those, "it's only an extra $300" things in our 1500sqft remodel. It adds up. But then again, I do hear that people's biggest regret is not spending the extra $ to get it right. :)

The cabinets did come out more beautifully than I ever anticipated so why scar them ?

• remodelfla
    11 years ago

Here's mine:

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

thedork, cabs are cherry (veneer) stained with a quarter-cut or 25% Harvest Gold stain (basically watered down stain). The cabs looked "naked" (natural) when they were delivered, but the stain helps to "control" (even out?) the naturally occurring ambering, or darkening of the cherry.

• clg7067
    11 years ago

I don't have photos, but I use these.

Here is a link that might be useful: pulls

• Kisa Valenti
    7 years ago

dljmth Your cabinets are drop-dead gorgeous. Please post a photo of your finished kitchen.

• MaWizz
    7 years ago

Wow gorgeous cabinets! Love them! And what a beautiful space. Right away I was thinking tab type pulls as to not take away from cabinetry...could also do none or the obvious simple bar pull. Thanks for sharing :) curious is this new construction or a

• barncatz
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Another type, similar to some of cat_mom's, a curve or arched pull. A few examples from Top Knobs:

• dljmth
    7 years ago

@MaWizz - your second picture was one of my inspiration photos. And although I wanted cabinets like in that second picture, I knew they would likely get trashed quickly with kids actively using the kitchen.

My second choice was tab pulls but was talked out of it from a pure functionality standpoint. In a working kitchen with kids it is easier to pull handles (using one clean pinky finger of an otherwise drippy dirty hand). Finally, when I asked a local designer she said handles are like buttons on a shirt. She felt the kitchen needed that accent as it's not an ultra-modern kitchen - but rather more transitional. Hope that helps.

• MaWizz
    7 years ago

Gotcha makes sense! Didn't think about the dirty dripping hands getting them all mucked up. My mom did no pulls but no little kids. That would not be good! Love your thinking on using a clean pinky to pull open that's true and now I will be looking at same.

guess my last sentence got cut off? Was curious if this kitchen is in new construction or reno?

• dljmth
    7 years ago

@MaWizz - We were renovating but we moved the kitchen from one part of the house to another. We had to expand the room to fit the kitchen so most of the kitchen area is new construction. We just saved the foundation.

• MaWizz
    7 years ago

dljmth I'm glad I asked ... if DH and I end up staying in our current location I was thinking we could do the same in another part of the house down the road. Who knows? Yours looks great!