Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gilmoregal

Antique Brass Hardware with Stainless Appliances??

gilmoregal
13 years ago

I'm usually just a lurker on this board but could really use some advice. We are updating our kitchen with plans to sell the house in a couple of years. Our update will include replacing all cabinet doors/drawer fronts, painting all cabinetry white, and replacing countertops/backsplash. The appliances are all on their last legs, so they will also be replaced. We have already purchased the fridge and dishwasher but haven't taken delivery yet. Both are stainless steel, so the cooktop and wall oven we purchase will also need to be stainless. My original inspiration kitchen had white cabinets, white subway tile backsplash, black countertops, stainless appliances, and satin nickel hardware and light fixtures.

Now I notice that antique brass/brushed bronze cabinet hardware is making a comeback. This would actually go better in our home than the satin nickel, as the home is early American/colonial in style and has all the original doorknobs and light fixtures in antique brass. But now that we have already purchased stainless appliances, I don't know how they would look with antique brass hardware in the kitchen. And I had planned to get a stainless sink and polished chrome faucet. I just worry that the mix of metals would look like a mistake rather than a conscious effort. (I know you can now find brushed brass kitchen faucets - but then would I need to get a white sink? Surely they are not mixing brass faucets with stainless sinks?)

In hindsight, I wish we had not already purchased the appliances, but they were discontinued models at a great price, and we are trying to do this on a budget. So whatever hardware we choose has to work with the stainless. Would I be better off to stick with the satin nickel?

Thanks for any input. I just tend to overanalyze and worry about the details...

Comments (13)

• lascatx
    13 years ago

With white cabinets and black counters, you can do pretty much whatever you like, and while I wouldn't worry about antique brass and not going together, I might consider something in an oil rubbed bronze to flat black that would also go with the early American look as well as the brass you have. Some of the bronze finishes have more gold or more copper elements to them, and you could look for one (like my light fixture) that goes more to gold or plain black. I'm sitting here realizing that anywhere I have had brass and white, it has been polished brass and that antique brass is not a favorite paired with white, so for me, it is more the pairing with white than with the stainless.

And I wouldn't worry about the faucet. If you have stainless appliances, a stainless, brushed chrome or even a polished chrome faucet in a good size and style will look right at home. The stainless sink will be fine too.

• itsallaboutthefood
    13 years ago

I am doing this. I have stainless steel appliances but all the doorknobs, hinges, light fixtures in the house are oil rubbed bronze. Since my cabinetry is dark woods, I decided to use oil bronzed handles on them. However, I do have 2 white painted upper open shelf units. On one of these I needed a hook for a towel, so I used brushed nickel for that since it is near my sink and my brushed nickel faucet and I thought it would stand out too much if it was oil rubbed bronze.

• User
    13 years ago

My sinks, cooktop, oven and faucets are stainless.

My cabinet hardware is Top Knobs german bronze (looks like antique brass) which is just right with the real antique brass light fixture and Baldwin antique brass switchplates and french door hardware. It all works with the rest of the Victorian house with real antique brass light fixtures and hardware and porcelain doorknobs.

I think you'll be fine. For options, pick knobs or a combination of knobs and pulls with a common screw hole spread and you can always change them.

• young-gardener
    13 years ago

I'm thinking of two: segbrown's and one other. Perhaps someone else will remember the poster's name. She hung a lovely stained glass window over her window? She had A.brass pulls in a white, period type kitchen. Just lovely.

• shanghaimom
    13 years ago

We have burnished brass hardware and pendants with stainless sink, range and dishwasher. Nickel faucet. I think it all looks fine together. By all means, don't worry and mix it up! (-8

• gilmoregal
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you all for taking time to post and for your reassurance that the metal finishes can be successfully mixed. Although in those beautiful kitchens, I really think anything would look good! Mine is definitely more 'humble'....
    (Shanghaimom - your kitchen is my dream.... I had seen it on another thread and bookmarked it. I just didn't focus on the fact that the pulls were burnished brass - on my monitor, they looked like brushed nickel.)
    So - let's assume that I do use antique gold-toned hardware in the kitchen. Since we will be painting woodwork and replacing cabinet hardware throughout the house (both bathrooms, hall linen closets, laundry cupboards) does it all need to match the finish of the kitchen hardware? Or could I use a different finish in the bathrooms ie satin nickel or oil-rubbed bronze? We were not planning to replace all of the interior doorknobs (50+ year old brass) when the woodwork is painted - in case that impacts your answers.
    Thanks again for walking me through this....

• young-gardener
    13 years ago

shanghaimom, Yours is the one that was etched in my mind. I've always loved it. Just lovely.

• shanghaimom
    13 years ago

Awww, thanks so much, gilmoregal and young-gardener!!

Gilmore, if it helps at all, I too, paused over some of these same decisions and wound up with quite a mix. In our remodel, we also did a powder room which adjoins the kitchen. It has nickel light fixtures and faucet. The door and window hardware is ORB, except for the doors with the 120-yr-old original hardware, which is a very darkened brass.

I don't think you need to use any one finish across-the-board. Especially since you have an older home--I personally think that brushed/satin nickel sometimes has a rather contemporary feel and would stick with ORB, darkened brasses and polished nickel finishes for a bit of a vintage-y feel. (Polished chrome is nice, too!)

Good luck and have fun with your project!

• gilmoregal
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I agree that ORB hardware might blend better with our brass doorknobs. But here's my next question: If I put in ORB cabinet hardware in the bathrooms, will I also need to replace all the chrome bathroom fixtures with ORB? Or maybe just the sink faucets and light fixtures, since they will be more noticeable (shower/tub fixtures hidden behind shower curtain, shower door, etc.) It just seems like ORB knobs/pulls on the vanity with a chrome sink faucet would not look right....

• shanghaimom
    13 years ago

Gilmoregal, If you like the chrome bathroom faucets/fixtures and don't plan to replace them, I wouldn't do ORB on *just* the vanity. Maybe do something silvery if you are looking to update the hardware....

• irishcreamgirl
    13 years ago

When I read the title of your post the first kitchen that popped into my head was shanghaimom's kitchen. I'm so glad she posted a picture for you. It is one of my all time favorite kitchens......and other parts of her house she has shared with us. (Her powder room is to die for!!)

I am using oil rubbed bronze pulls, knobs and pendants with stainless appliances and faucet...but her kitchen almost made me replace the ORB. I definitely think you can mix metals as long as its done with a purpose and not just randomly.