Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
segbrown_gw

Finito! one more white/marble/soapstone kitchen

segbrown
14 years ago

I've posted in dribs and drabs, so this isn't exactly an unveiling, but we are 99% done. Thanks to everyone; I've been reading this forum for years, even in the "pre-model" we did a few years back (minor update). I am also greatly indebted to my wonderful designer and contractor; I lucked out there.

Before pics: we moved the kitchen into the family room, the dining room into the kitchen, and the breakfast area into the dining room. (The living room turned into the family room, and the office will soon turn into the living room ... more to do around here.)So these photos are not exactly classic before/afters. (And it's a snowy day, so bright outside, not the best for pics. Oh well.)

Old kitchen

Corresponding view

Old family room:

Corresponding view

Old dining room (both visible walls are now gone)

Corresponding view

I was previously opposed to knocking out both walls, but I am glad we did. For the way we live, it works much better. Entertaining is a cinch now. Because the kitchen is vaulted but the other ceilings are low, it doesn't feel like a huge empty space (that's what I was worried about). And I liked my "other" house, just not the kitchen. It was awful.

I'll post details here, and more specific photos in a subsequent post.

-Cabinets-

Aspen Leaf Kitchens in Denver/Berthoud, CO; proprietary Primer White, BM Taos Taupe on island and butler's pantry, and custom-stained antique pine on breakfast hutch

-Appliances-

SubZero BI-36U fridge, pro handle

Wolf 48 DF range with 4 burners and double griddle

Viking 54 in. hood liner with heat lamps

Thermador DWHD64EP dishwashers

KitchenAid KBCO24RSBX three-zone beverage center

SubZero 700BCI refrigerator/freezer drawers

Sharp 0.8 cu ft microwave

-Counters-

Minas soapstone on perimeter cabinets and hutch

Calacatta gold marble on island and butler's pantry

-Hardware-

Restoration Hardware Gilmore cup pulls, Aubrey knobs and handle pulls, Clear Glass knobs in antique brass, and Season knobs and Hanson pulls in ORB

-Sinks-

Main: soapstone farm sink crafted by Terra Bella/Denver CO

Prep: Ticor S3650

-Faucets-

Main sink: Kohler HiRise bridge with sidespray

Prep sink: Kohler HiRise bar faucet

-Lighting-

Wilmette Clark pendants in ORB (breakfast nook)

Wilmette LaSalle wall sconces in antique brass (later photos)

Visual Comfort Classic Ring chandelier in AB (dining room)

Visual Comfort Four-Light Siena pendant in AB (butler's)

-Island stools-

Ballard Designs Dorchester counter stools in rubbed black (all other furniture and rugs previously owned)

Comments (102)

• segbrown
    Original Author
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

The kitchen area is roughly 19 ft by 15 ft (the longer dimension is the sink wall with the door, the shorter is the range wall). This doesn't include the breakfast area, which is another 6 ft on the 15-ft side. (Does that make sense?) Aisles are 48 in., and there is quite a bit of space in front of that window.

I do have a layout, but I'm not sure about posting KD's work. I'll post it for a few hours and then disappear it. :-) This shows only to the island, which is more like 13 ft.

{{gwi:1989083}}

• lyno
    14 years ago

I'm joining the party late! I can't believe I almost missed this! This took my breath away; it is so absolutely beautiful and there so very many things I love about it. I keep going back and looking at the pictures. You call it "...one more white/marble/soapstone kitchen...", but it is so very special and unique, too! Enjoy!!

• Gina_W
    14 years ago

Shut! Up!

That is one fantastic kitchen. Kudos on the wonderful job.

• mereanne
    14 years ago

I am soooo loving your kitchen in so many ways!!! I love the mix of hardware finishes, paint colors, old and new elements. This is an amazing transformation, but one that is completely authetic with the look and feel of your home. We are are about 80% complete on our remodel and I am hopeful that I can come up with a similar result for our older home too. You have done a spectacular job on this project- simply beautiful!!!

• amck2
    14 years ago

I really love your kitchen. It's impressive to see a kitchen with so many classic elements that still manages to be unique. There's nothing kooky about your space, and it's designed to serve a real cook, but you've managed to personalize it and create a beautiful space that suits your home.

Congratulations! Enjoy!

• judydel
    14 years ago

WOWSA! Gorgeous kitchen, family room, dining room . . . gorgeous everything! It's like a new home! Your head must be spinning!! I keep scrolling back up to see it over and over again. I love what you and your KD did!!

Love the mixing of hardware, love the mixing of cabinet colors, love the stained hutch and stained heirloom looking armoire and stained table.

Love the architectural details . . . the high ceiling with high windows! The fireplace and wainscoating!

I love the pendants . . . they read vintage modern to me : )

Love the butler's pantry with marble backsplash . . . and also the message/mail niche. You thought of it all!!

I hope you have many wonderful times and memories in your breathtaking old/new home.

CAN YOU TELL ME ABOUT THE STAINED CHAIRS IN YOUR KITCHEN? I THINK I'M IN LOVE.

• segbrown
    Original Author
    14 years ago

More nice comments, most of which I need to deflect to KD, of course. I love the ones that remark on how we tried to make a classic thing unique, because that's exactly what we aimed for.

Judydel, you'll hate me about the chairs. I bought those some years ago, at a consignment store that I would check out every month or so ... didn't buy very often, but they had some good things, so it was worth a look-see. The chairs were an immediate "YES" when I saw them. THey are Henredon, and I'm pretty sure they were brand new. I won't even tell you what I paid, because then you would hate me for sure. :-)

• judydel
    14 years ago

segbrown I could never hate you . . . you own one of my favorite kitchens : )

A hem,
    but it appears that Henredon doesn't make those chairs anymore. They are so pretty and they look comfy. Could you post a clear photo of one of them, or send it to me via email? I'd like to print it out and keep it with me when I chair shop. Thanks for the inspiration!

• segbrown
    Original Author
    14 years ago

From the back:

We had the cushions made. And I have no idea when they were made, because they weren't on Henredon's site 4 or 5 years ago, either.

• segbrown
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I meant I have no idea when the CHAIRS were made, not the cushions.

• kellykath
    14 years ago

O.k. - just have to say awesome! Your kitchen is absolutely beautiful - I'm a newbie and am just starting my kitchen redo - one question, how wide are you drawers with the dishes in them? Thanks

• tkln
    14 years ago

Thank you so much for posting that!!! The dimensions were more than enough!

It truly is such a great space...wishing you many years of happiness and yummy food. :-)

• minette99
    14 years ago

I just love looking at your wonderful pics! This is amazing! Everything is beautiful and it's a wonderfully thoughtful use of all of the space. I love everything about it -- from the layout to all of the finishes! Thanks for showing it!

• segbrown
    Original Author
    14 years ago

kellykath, the dish drawer is 30 in. wide.

• zoey_neohio
    14 years ago

Love your kitchen....everything is so perfect!! You must be thrilled that all your decisions have come together.

Could you tell me more about your floor and your table?

• westsider40
    14 years ago

Seg, "One more"? Girl, are you feverish? Let me feel your forehead.

Your kitchen is so beautiful and full of wonderful details that it will take me aweek to absorb each fabulous thing.
    I liked your 'before' kitchen, too. I feel like Cinderella.

• segbrown
    Original Author
    14 years ago

zoey, we bought the table a while ago, no brand, just reclaimed Irish pine (I think it was from a barn floor or something) turned into a table. You can find similar things online ... google "reclaimed wood furniture" or something like that.

The floor is Gatsby Hand-Sculpted Oak (by Armstrong World Industries) in Tudor Brown, 5" solid plank, style 755. We bought it at ProSource, which I believe has showrooms across the country.

• segbrown
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I cut and pasted all that floor info; didn't really need to spell out Armstrong's full name, but it's by Armstrong.

• zoey_neohio
    14 years ago

Thanks for the info on the table and floor. Yours floor is gorgeous and your sink area with the soapstone sink is just...just...PERFECT!!!! Did you always know you wanted to do the ss sink or did you debate between that and a white farmers? Just wondering how you arrived at the perfect choice.

• segbrown
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I looked at white farmhouse sinks, and they are beautiful, but they just didn't grab me like the soapstone did. Once I saw one in person, in the Dorado showroom, I was hooked.

• megpie77
    14 years ago

What a huge transformation! Your kitchen is stunning. It looks like a kitchen from a magazine. Simply gorgeous. Congradulations and enjoy.

• sabjimata
    14 years ago

enjoy'! you're kitchen rocks!

• missmuffet
    14 years ago

Wow! Knocking down the walls really worked for you, and your taste is amazing. I love the way it all comes together. Thanks for posting - it helps me get the courage up.

• cotehele
    14 years ago

Wow, how did I miss your kitchen? The family living/kitchen space is fabulous, so warm that it just draws me in. Congratulations on reconfiguring the space. It's brilliantly done. I especially love the clean up hutch look.

• jsweenc
    14 years ago

Thanks for providing this link in the other thread. Actually, I now remember reading it before but couldn't find it when I did a search.

I apologize if these questions were answered above. I don't have lots of time to read through the whole thing (great to have so many responses though!).

I love the way you covered the outlets on the island. Did you come up with that yourself?

In the corner by the range, do you find you have enough counter space with the tall pantry around the corner? Of course, you have that great SS cover on the stove itself which looks like it could count. I will have a similar placement, and the corner I'm planning for my right hand is closing in now that we've decided to get a wall oven/MW stack. How much space do you actually have right there that you consider counter (or flat surface for hot pots)? It looks like you have less than I will have, and with an island behind me, I'm thinking it won't bother me at all. I'll also have about 24" on my left hand, plus an induction top.

How are your oils and spices holding up next to the oven? And how wide is that pullout?

The door trim - how wide is that, and is it just flat or molded? I can't tell in the pictures, but I love the look.

One more out of curiosity... How are your floors holding up so far? They are beautiful! And the dormers... brilliant!

• segbrown
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi jsweenc.

1. No, not my idea. Thank the KD. :-)

2. In the corner, I was worried about counter space. You're right, I have the island and the griddle cover on the range, but what I hadn't thought of -- and what I assuredly use most -- is the shelf up above. I use that a LOT. It ends up that double decker counter space is better than a long counter, as it is closer to you, when you think about it. Didn't plan it that way, I must admit, but it has turned out great. If I need lots of room to spread out, the island works fine.

3. Oils etc. are fine, but I've only been in a month. Pullout is 9 in.

4. Door trim is 3.5 in. Plus the bottom part (can't remember what that's called), which is about 1/2 or 5/8 in.

5. The floors are holding up great, so far. We definitely get dog prints and the like, from wet paws, so if you are particular about having your floors look spotless, I wouldn't go dark. I can deal with it ... I spot clean when I need to, and I have cleaners who do the whole thing once a week.

• nc_cowgirl
    14 years ago

Absolutely beautiful! One question, as I can't tell because I need glasses!!! (old age) Above your cabinets, where the ceiling slopes, I'm guessing they are dormer windows, is the actual face of the slope wall color or white? We will have ten foot ceilings and our back wall of kitchen also has two windows with slopes...not dormered, but we wanted this look versus flat wall all the way up. It is open over the kitchen..when standing on balcony you can look down in kitchen. We've asked around and get two different answers..paint the face of the slope white (ceiling color) or paint slope wall color! Are the inside of slopes wall color also? I need help! thanks so much!

• llrr
    14 years ago

Fabulous kitchen! I have to ask about the marble...everyone I speak to is talking me out of using marble for my counters. They say it marks, stains, from everything. But you have used marble and soapstone, both soft stones?
    I have been searching for a "veiny" granite (very hard to find) to replace my dream marble, and you have it.
    So..what do you think, are you happy with the marble? Anyone else have any pin ions on this?

• jsweenc
    14 years ago

Thank you for the answers, segbrown! Is the door trim flat or molded?

• segbrown
    Original Author
    14 years ago

jsweenc, it's both. The top is flat, the side has a slight curve.

Since this was a partial remodel, I think the idea was to update the trim without completely changing the look in the rest of the house.

llrr, I love the marble so far. I don't see any staining, but if I look hard, I see etching. There is so much movement in the marble that it doesn't stand out. I guess if I had big purple wine rings, it might bug me, but otherwise, it doesn't. There are a few dings and nicks on the edge, mainly above the dishwasher and around the sink, but that's fine. I think it looks kind of cool.

My soapstone is nicked up around the sink too, though it seems more on the inside than the outside. The outside is more eased (I'm sure that's the wrong way to say it .. the radius of the edge is rounder than the one on the inside, which is more of a 90-degree angle), so that might be a way to minimize any dings.

nc cowgirl, we painted all the walls and ceilings, inside dormers, etc., the same color, Elmira White by Benj Moore. The trim is the only thing that's white. (or, white white, as opposed to elmira white ...)

• starpooh
    14 years ago

Ohmigosh segbrown! How did I miss your kitchen? (I guess it's because I search for finished kitchens using the keyword "finished" or "complete"... now I suppose I need to add "finito" to my repertoire.)

Anyhow your kitchen is fabulous! And I love that you have highlighted all your details.

May I include your kitchen in the Finished Kitchens Blog? That way folks can still access your photos and details long after this thread has scrolled off the forum.
    Please indicate in this post that I have your permission. Then, at some time in the future, please submit the FKB Category Checklist.
    Thanks!!

Here is a link that might be useful: FKB Category Checklist

• somanychoices
    14 years ago

Oh, I love your marble countertop and the color of your island, and the fab marble backsplash in your bar area/butler's pantry. Sigh...

• segbrown
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, that is fine, Starpooh. Sorry I haven't gotten around to it (big travel season for me).

• hoosiergirl
    14 years ago

AWESOME, Segbrown!!! Thanks so much for all the pics and for the link to take me here! You have a wonderful home -- ENJOY!!!

• Yvonne B
    14 years ago

Wow!!! This is stunning! Segbrown, you have one beautiful kitchen! qwibbled, in answer to your question regarding costs - costs are dependent on where you live. Appliances may be similarly priced, but labor, materials etc. vary a lot throughout the country.

• qwibbled
    14 years ago

Sure, but it's still useful to know. It helps people who are just starting out know what things costs when all is said and done for a particular look or amount of work done. Or if a kitchen looks like $50,000 but the poster shares that it only cost them $30,000 then there's probably a lot of information they can share to help others save a significant amount of money. I just find the financial aspect is often ignored on this forum, when every other aspect is explored down to the most minute detail (thankfully). :)

• trish21
    14 years ago

Wow. What a transformation! I love the island color, and the pantry/bar area. I wish you many wonderful meals in your space!

• segbrown
    Original Author
    14 years ago

qwibbled, just saw this ... I don't know how much mine cost yet, if you really want to know. I don't think I want to know quite yet. ;-) I have records of everything, and a general idea, but I haven't sat and calculated yet. We still haven't paid our last check, since the fireplace surround still needs to be tiled. Then I think we'll take a month or two or longer, and then break it out. The job entailed more than a kitchen, though, even into the backyard and landscaping.

• ajard
    14 years ago

segbrown.. your kitchen is truly amazing! Can you tell me where you got your solid stainless steel shelf that is on your white tile backsplash. MY KD suggested a restaurant supply store a while back.. but I was wondering who made it or did you order it somewhere??

• lyno
    14 years ago

Oh, segbrown, thank you for providing a link to your thread. Your kitchen is so beautiful, and I did see it before, but I guess it was just before Christmas, I was momentarily not TKO. I love so much about your kitchen! Congratulations for a job well done.

• segbrown
    Original Author
    14 years ago

ajard, the stainless shelf was made custom by a metal fabricator. It was about $300.

• ajard
    14 years ago

Thank you!

• willowdecor
    14 years ago

Segbrown,
    What a stunning transoformation!! I LOVE IT!!!! Really just wonderful, fabulous!!

I have a question about your marble - many on this forum have honed marble (myself included) - It looks like yours is polished. Can you let me know how it is holding up. Is it sealed (if yes with what) and is it etching. Are you super careful?
    Thanks so much!!

Your kitchen is a dream!!
    xx-Willow

• segbrown
    Original Author
    14 years ago

THanks so much, Willow. Yes, the marble is polished. The slab came that way, and I thought it was going to get honed, but it didn't. I decided to try it out like that, partly because it's so pretty, and partly because I thought the kitchen needed a little bling -- muted colors, matte soapstone, brushed stainless, why not try something polished?

I do not baby it. I haven't left red wine on it all night or anything, but it doesn't seem to stain at all. I do not know what sealer they used; I will contact the fabricator and find out. It was in a big jug with no label, just sharpie pen "marble sealant" or something like that. I imagine they just refill from larger containers.

Yes, there are etches. I pay little attention to them, they certainly don't jump out. There is so much going on in there, that frankly I don't think they are very noticeable. I get a lot of natural light, so there are trees reflected in it. And there are tons of different colors and shadows already, maybe you can see from the pic of the slab. Not only white and gray and gold but black and rust and beige and pale pale gray, etc. So maybe it's different than having something a little less active. Or maybe I just don't see things that others do. But so far, it's been wonderful!

• ajard
    14 years ago

Segbrown. I am trying to get a someone to make me a solid stainless shelf.. they are all asking me details that I was hoping they can figure out. Is your shelf just folded over infront and not really that thick? Is it nailed into the side as well or is it a floating shelf? and how many inches deep is it, 10? One metal guy told me it cant be solid above a cooktop, it has to be preforated... that cant be true! I would appreciate any details or the contact information of the person that made it.

• segbrown
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi ajard ... I am not home this week, so I can answer only a few questions. Yes, the sheet is folded over in front, not really that thick. It's 10 or maybe 11 in. deep, just enough for a plate. I think it's floating, not sure.

It is not perforated, although I kind of wish it were; I think ventilation would work better. The reason we didn't perforate was due to its length -- they felt we needed all the strength possible. If your shelf is shorter, it shouldn't be a problem. Ventilation isn't bad, fumes from the back burner seem to wrap around the shelf, but I think some does hit the shelf and not make it up the hood. I don't have anything to compare it to, though, so I don't really know.

When I get home, I will update and find out contact info for you.

• flwrs_n_co
    14 years ago

Segbrown, I live in the Denver area. I'm still in the research phase but am planning to start the remodel early next year. Would you mind sharing the names of your KD and GC (email me if you prefer)? I'm terrified of getting bad ones. It certainly looks like you had great ones! Thank you.

• atd_oc
    14 years ago

I could move right in. Your ideas and color choices are creative genius! Makes me think I need to knock out a wall or two.

• thehype
    9 years ago

hi Segbrown! I love your kitchen and was so excited to see you are in the Denver area. I'm local as well...if you don't mind, would you email me your GC Information? Also, what stonw yard did you get your Calcutta from? I'm assuming that the KD was with Aspen....

In advance- thank you for this info! Your kitchen is inspirational