Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandn_gw

Soapstone installation today--first glimpse

sandn
13 years ago

We've been very neglectful about posting any progress pictures of our kitchen installation thus far, but today I can't resist. Our cabinetmakers have been here for the past two and a half weeks installing the kitchen cabinets, and I will post more details about that soon. But today our perimeter counters are being installed. We had a major debate a little while ago about whether to choose stainless or soapstone for our perimeter counters (see link to that thread below). And, thanks in no small part to all of your valuable opinions, soapstone won out. Despite the snow storm raging outside, our intrepid installers have arrived and are busily installing our soapstone perimeter counters. The first piece they placed is so beautiful I had to post a photo. This is the first piece of stone, not yet oiled, just damp from the snow. We love the caramel veining. Now I think I understand why people fall so deeply in love with their soapstone counters. More photos to follow this evening or tomorrow.

p.s. Our cabinets are only primed. They will be painted, by hand, in the coming weeks.

For March 23, the weather really is something:

Here is a link that might be useful: soapstone vs stainless thread

Comments (13)

• hsw_sc
    13 years ago

Beautiful! You're going to love them!

• prill
    13 years ago

Very pretty. Can't wait to see more. Wow, snowy - where are you located?

• dianalo
    13 years ago

That is a great start! Glad to hear they arrived on time and the snow did not delay things ;)

• laxsupermom
    13 years ago

That's what it looks like out my door, too!(Minus the soapstone van) Love the caramel veining on your soapstone! Just gorgeous! Can't wait to see the final reveal.

• oldhouse1
    13 years ago

sandn, they look gorgeous. I couldn't help but notice the 905 #. I was aware of Greensville soapstone out of Burlington but am not familiar with Green Mountain. Do they supply as well as fabricate? I live in Ancaster so thanks for the new supplier. I will have to look them up. What a surprise this morning eh? I've already been out to shovel twice. Looking forward to seeing the rest of your kitchen.

• sandn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, all!
    We're in Southern Ontario. While March snowstorms aren't unprecedented, they are definitely unwelcome. Dianalo, I was worried this morning that the snow might cause a delay, but relived when they arrived only a little late. The cabinetmakers are staying away today to be out of the road.
    We're trying to distract ourselves while they install. N is working from home today, and I'm in my studio upstairs. So far things look really great, but I'm nervous about the two undermount sinks. It's amazing that we've come so far and yet there are still so many details to come (so many possible things to go wrong). A kitchen renovation is really a renovation like no other.
    Everytime I hear them start up the power tools, I get nervous. But they're probably just sanding off the epoxy glue.
    Once the sinks are in we'll have to determine the position of the faucet holes, which are being drilled on site.
    I'm glad you like the caramel veining, Laxsupermom. I'm excited to see it oiled.
    Until then, I'll be attempting to stay calm (or calm down, to be more accurate).

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

Remaining calm would be hard for me too given the gorgeousness being installed downstairs. How can you resist watching their every move? Can't wait to see the rest of the ss and your kitchen!

• Lake_Girl
    13 years ago

Ooo and Aah! Just as soon as I'm unsure about soapstone, you go and post these gorgeous pics! I can't wait to see more. I have a smallish kitchen with island, and I want soapstone on perimeter as well. With my white cabinets and stainless appliances, I'm afraid the soapstone (gray/black) will be too cold? What do you think??

• Krisall
    13 years ago

I had that exact same thoughts, Lake Girl, and went with leathered uba tuba at the advise of 2 kitchen designers I know as well as 2 of the people who work at the stone place. They had soapstone, as well as Virginia Mist which could be leathered, as well as several other blackish stone options. This one went best with white cabinets and darkish wood floors. It was the look we all seem to like, but just a little warmer and more interesting. Good luck!!

• maryann_m
    13 years ago

Your soapstone looks amazing! I love the snowy backdrop of the soapstone van which is sporting the tagline, "for that warm natural feel." All indications are that your kitchen is going to be beautiful.

• sandn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oldhouse1, I missed your message the first time. Yes, we visited both soapstone fabricators and I'm sure either would've been excellent. We based our decision mainly on the soapstone (we loved the unusual colour of the veining), but also because the one fabricator had a CNC cutting machine which gave us confidence that they could match the subtle radius on our undermount sink. And, yes, this snow! It's unrelenting. We shovelled thoroughly this morning (a good 10cm), and now there is zero evidence of our efforts.
    Thanks Breezygirl! We just witnessed the oiling of the soapstone. I like it both ways. I will post more photos tonight.

• Lake_Girl
    13 years ago

Sandn - What color is the soapstone?

• sandn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I think more photos are going to have to wait until tomorrow. We are very happy, just a little lazy.
    Hi Lake Girl. We had the same doubts about the gray of soapstone being too cool--until we saw the stone with the caramel coloured veining. The stone is from Brazil. I believe the variety is Barroca, but our fabricator, who is also the importer, just calls the stone butterscotch, which I doubt is an actual variety. He also carries the more familiar white veined Barroca. The oiled colour is a true black with no green and the veining ranges from ivory to a rich caramel colour. It is anything but cold looking.
    I really do think you need to see the stone in person. We took a 1' x 1' oiled sample home to try with our finishes. We loved how it evolved over time as the oil evaporated.
    Thanks Dreamweaver! Yes, a perfect day to see the warmth of soapstone in action. We're very happy we chose it. It is certainly much warmer looking than stainless would've been.
    More tomorrow.