Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beekeeperswife_gw

Need Opinion on Light over Sink...

beekeeperswife
12 years ago

I've got intermittent internet right now....so sorry if this is choppy.

Trying to decide what pendant to do over the cleanup sink. I'm going for that modern-elegant kitchen. Faucets are all chrome, the counters are Super White.

There are 2 recessed lights over island with this chandy in the middle:

The faucet in the cleanup sink is the Kraus Pre-rinse, it is 28.5 " tall....so now you see where my dilemma is starting....

The ceiling is 9' in the kitchen.

I don't want a long skinny pendant, it will look weird with the long skinny faucet.

I found this one...it kind of is modern, it's chrome, yet simple. What do you think? Will it work? It is about 7.5" wide x 10" high. (I'm not sure about that dimension though it looks square. That is a glass globe in the center, not fabric.

so, will they give each other the "wink" that they belong together? I'm not sure I want to do any type of crystal over the sink. 1. Too much bling if the fixture were the right size/shape, and something too tiny might look very lost.

I've also seen these from West Elm. I think the cluster one, below will be too big. Haven't seen it in person. But I'm worried any of the clear glass ones will be too much of a glare.

7.5" x 36"h (not sure where those are taken)

just a single (11" diameter)

or this mercury glass one, 10.5"d x 11" h

Or maybe something like the RH ones?

Please feel free to post any ideas you have.

thanks for your help.

Bee

Comments (50)

• likewhatyoudo
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I like the last one, it seems modern and transitional.

• SugarCookies
    12 years ago

I like all of the fixtures you posted. You have great taste.

It looks like the round globes will be too big to me and maybe that the pic was taken in a dining room??

The square fixture doesn't seem like it will go with the chandy, although, there is something to be said for mixing it up and drawing attention and interest to the area you're thinking about putting it. If that's your goal, then that one might work.

I am a bit biased about the last two RH ones because I am coveting those for my own kitchen! I don't think you can go wrong with either one of those.

My favorite of those you posted is the mercury glass. I think that one would look amazing with the other things you have going on.

• Dando
    12 years ago

I'm with rtwilliams, I like that bottom one also. Seems like it compliments the faucet.

• melissastar
    12 years ago

Hi Bee. My 2 cents: Don't care for the RH pendants in the kitchen you describe with the chandy. They are too industrial/vintage looking (though I love them on their own).

Don't care for the square one either...a 7.5" X 10" rectangle at the bottom of a long stem is, I think, going to look, tall and skinny...much like the faucet.

I like the look of the large orb, but would also worry about glare. Ditto, the clustered orbs, and they look a bit too much.

I like the mercury glass one best...it's glitzy, but simple. I'd like it even better if it were a bit wider than 10".

• clarygrace
    12 years ago

My vote is for hte mercury glass! Love the chandelier bling!!!

• dianalo
    12 years ago

If I had to pick, I'd say the last one or the mercury glass one, however, I see your pendant pix coordinating better with the faucet than the chandy. I think the chandy trend for kitchens is on its way out.... YMMV

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    12 years ago

dianalo....already have the chandy.....got a great deal on it, snapped it up. Remember....central PA.....they havent even thought of this yet (of course with the exception of beaglesdoitbetter and other local GWers!) and I probably will have the only white and gray kitchen in my neighborhood.

thanks to all for the opinions and suggestions are welcome.We are letting them install the generic surface light and replacing after moving in...so we got time

bee

• MDBmom
    12 years ago

How about something like this--glass like you are looking for and a little more elegant to go with your look. I have seen it in person--it is beautiful and not too big:o) Not sure where you are in PA but the store FX Dougherty in Doylestown, PA has them so you could see it in person. Good luck!

• NewSouthernBelle
    12 years ago

I like the mercury glass. It has softer curves and elegance like the chandy.

• chicagoans
    12 years ago

I missed a post somewhere... you found your Super White? (Last I read that ship had sunk.) I hope you found some fab SW that you love!

PS I also like the mercury glass...

• chicagoans
    12 years ago

I went on a hunt to find your post about the slabs. Wow! So beautiful! I'm really happy for you that your search paid off.

• sanjuangirl
    12 years ago

I LOVE your chande and who cares if they're "in or out". Did you consider a smaller complimentary version of the chandelier you've already got? Of the photos, I like the Mercury glass the best. It seems to capture the feeling of the elegance of the SW and the long line of the faucet. If this kitchen is anywhere near as beautiful as your last, it'll be dazzling. Are you going to use the Arabesque tiles again?

• desertsteph
    12 years ago

I think the clear ones would give too much glare. I wouldn't want to clean those or the metal one.

the chandy just send to me. It'll look great in my mstr bath. thank you.

• a2gemini
    12 years ago

Bee - you have such great ideas - I do agree with desertsteph that a clear one would be too much glare - I like the mercury glass one the best.

• babs711
    12 years ago

I like the mercury! And I was just on abchome where I saw that glass globe with the textured swirls. It's pretty too!

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm sure Mr. Beekeeper could be doing something else...but he has designed what he thinks would be an excellent option, and wants you to consider his entry.

I think the chain is chrome, even though it looks like satin nickel....

• enduring
    12 years ago

I don't care for any of the industrial looking ones and that includes the mercury glass. The first one is probably my favorite of your collection but I don't think that one is quite right either. The first one has nice proportions between the metal and the glass. I like the frosted glass in it too. I think the first one is on the right track but there may be something that relates a bit better with your chandelier.

• bmorepanic
    12 years ago

How high are you thinking about the bottom of the pendant?
    You have about 43" over the installed height of the faucet to the ceiling.

I'm thinking a 24" drop then 10" or so for the fixture places it ~9" higher than the faucet - about 37 inches above the counter. Is that what you see in your vision?

I also wonder where the bottom of the chandy will be and whether it would get on your nerves no being able to see through it.

Maybe ask if someone who has 3d stuff could quickly mock up your space and plunk in the sink, island, chandy and pendants to scale. I'm thinking the chandy when placed in the room might look out of scale to the room. And it and the pendants may visually weight the lighting all on one side.

• babs711
    12 years ago

Now that I'm re-looking, I think I agree with enduring. The chandelier you've chosen is beautiful and very traditional. The mercury glass pendant option is more contemporary. The industrial options don't really fit either. I think I like the last option posted the best. But if you feel strange about the glare, then go with something else.

Some other options:

Shades of Light Raindrop Crystal Pendant (if you want to go all out bling):

from Schoolhouse Electric:
    {{gwi:1718105}}

{{gwi:1718107}}

Currey & Company Weymouth:

Shades of Light Antique Mirror Bell:

Currey & Company Lowell:

Or you could do a pretty lantern of sorts (but again, there's glare):
    Ideas for shape, not necessarily these or the finish:

• sanjuangirl
    12 years ago

First Choice goes to Mr. Beekeeper! What a trooper, love the Olive..... color.............?
    Babs711's first picture is just what I was trying to suggest but didn't have the photo to post. Something along this line would be beautiful, even a bit smaller perhaps. That is, of course, if you don't choose the awesome olive/martini/cute husband light!

• mpagmom (SW Ohio)
    12 years ago

Mr. Beekeeper is a keeper!

• itsallaboutthefood
    12 years ago

What about something like this...(although they are pricey)

{{gwi:1718117}}

• itsallaboutthefood
    12 years ago

My attempt to imbed the html in the post failed...here is a link

Here is a link that might be useful: cristallo

• melissastar
    12 years ago

Oh, Bee....get the cristallo fixture that itsallaboutthefood suggested. They are absolutely stunning. I have one of the company's scavo glass pendants and I absolutely adore it. In fact, I had one in the hallway of my previous house in Arlington, Va. I wanted to take it down before I sold the house because I couldn't bear to part with it and couldn't recall who made it. But the real estate agent persuaded me to leave it...and the new owners did fall in love with it. So I scoured the internet until I found it again and bought a new one for my house. I love the scavo...but the cristallo, Oooh-la-la. They are to die for! If my house could handle the bling, I'd do it in a heart beat!

• enduring
    12 years ago

BKW, I see that I missed MrBK's courageous entry as we were posting at the same time...But I love his creativity! And I love your introduction to his masterful entry!

I think there are many great options showing up on this post. I took a look at the Cristallo lights and they are lovely. I don't know if the light scatter would be acceptable in a work space. I'm still kinda like'n the first entry.

• ci_lantro
    12 years ago

Forgive me for being blunt but I'm not seeing how the beaded chandy over the island fits in with the Kraus faucet, chrome & 'modern-elegant'.

I'm all for doing something fun & unexpected but, IMHO, the beaded chandy makes too big of a splash & is making the other lighting decisions very difficult.

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    12 years ago

MDBmom--That is beautiful. I will have to look into that light. I am concerned about the clear glass though....but I'm seeing so much of these that there must be "special" light bulbs I haven't been introduced to yet. Did GWer Dotcomgone use those? I think they look familiar to me. I will have to look.

Seems like a lot of people like the mercury glass one. I will have to make a trip to the city and see it in person.

chicagoans--yes! I found slabs that I like even better. I managed to have my builder to just cave in and agree that I could use my fabricator from the old :*( kitchen. They agreed to go outside their regular 50 mile radius! I think they like me, I've referred many people to them, repeat customer, and the national mention for them in the upcoming magazine doesn't hurt either!!

sanjuangirl--the arabesques are on the short list. Not making that decision for awhile though.

desertsteph--don't wait by the mailbox... ;)

enduring--that's why I liked that one in the first place--something about it is very transitional.

bmorepanic--ahh, the chandy is very "whispy" and I don't mind it at all. I had one (smaller) over my last island :*( and I couldn't imaging having something that blocked the view. I think this one will give me the same effect. It's "airy". And bless you for doing that math about the faucet, etc. I am the kind that stands there with the measuring tape and just eyeball things. I have no idea how high I want the light. I know it won't be too low due to the faucet. This is probably why it would be smart for me to just sit tight and wait to see it all in place. (I like to stare at my space and then decide).

babs--love all of those! I did consider that Light Raindrop one for my last :*( kitchen sink pendant. I'm thinking it might be too long and therefore it might make too much of a vertical line. The Weymouth is cool....Have to look at that Mirroor Bell. I like that Lowell too. But I have hunch those are very pricey.

itsallaboutthefood--those are beautiful. And you are right. Pricey. Not sure I can slip that one past Mr. BK

melissastar--you are stronger than I am. Oh wait. I left behind two Irish crystal chandeliers....that killed me

cilantro--no need to forgive. I get it. Just hang in there. I have a vision. I have a weird way to express it. Perhaps "modern-elegant" isn't the right word. I use that phrase because I have always like the modern looking appliances (glass fridge, square sinks, industrial/clean line faucets) mixed with "pretty" accessories--the chandy, hardware, silver trays, etc. It's a lot harder to do this look with a new build. When doing a reno, I was able to take my time and find things that made the look work. I guess since I just finished the old :*( kitchen I kind of know what I'm looking for. And yes, this lighting decision is hard, but....I don't have to make this decision for a long time. I'm getting the infamous b**b light over the sink for the time being. :o

Thanks everybody,
    Bee

• babs711
    12 years ago

Bee, you and I area in the same boat with the build. It's harder this way. I feel like I have to have decisions to the builder by a certain day and don't want to mess up. I feel a bit rushed sometimes. I have a vision and want to stay on track and on budget. It's difficult.

• deedles
    12 years ago

Mercury glass would be great... maybe not that exact one, but overall it's such a beautiful thing.

• gardenamy
    12 years ago

Bee - I have a Kraus faucet and put in similar lighting to the RH one above. I think with the faucet they look great together. Good luck!

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    12 years ago

MDBmom--That is beautiful. I will have to look into that light. I am concerned about the clear glass though....but I'm seeing so much of these that there must be "special" light bulbs I haven't been introduced to yet. Did GWer Dotcomgone use those? I think they look familiar to me. I will have to look.

Seems like a lot of people like the mercury glass one. I will have to make a trip to the city and see it in person.

chicagoans--yes! I found slabs that I like even better. I managed to have my builder to just cave in and agree that I could use my fabricator from the old :*( kitchen. They agreed to go outside their regular 50 mile radius! I think they like me, I've referred many people to them, repeat customer, and the national mention for them in the upcoming magazine doesn't hurt either!!

sanjuangirl--the arabesques are on the short list. Not making that decision for awhile though.

desertsteph--don't wait by the mailbox... ;)

enduring--that's why I liked that one in the first place--something about it is very transitional.

bmorepanic--ahh, the chandy is very "whispy" and I don't mind it at all. I had one (smaller) over my last island :*( and I couldn't imaging having something that blocked the view. I think this one will give me the same effect. It's "airy". And bless you for doing that math about the faucet, etc. I am the kind that stands there with the measuring tape and just eyeball things. I have no idea how high I want the light. I know it won't be too low due to the faucet. This is probably why it would be smart for me to just sit tight and wait to see it all in place. (I like to stare at my space and then decide).

babs--love all of those! I did consider that Light Raindrop one for my last :*( kitchen sink pendant. I'm thinking it might be too long and therefore it might make too much of a vertical line. The Weymouth is cool....Have to look at that Mirroor Bell. I like that Lowell too. But I have hunch those are very pricey.

itsallaboutthefood--those are beautiful. And you are right. Pricey. Not sure I can slip that one past Mr. BK

melissastar--you are stronger than I am. Oh wait. I left behind two Irish crystal chandeliers....that killed me

cilantro--no need to forgive. I get it. Just hang in there. I have a vision. I have a weird way to express it. Perhaps "modern-elegant" isn't the right word. I use that phrase because I have always like the modern looking appliances (glass fridge, square sinks, industrial/clean line faucets) mixed with "pretty" accessories--the chandy, hardware, silver trays, etc. It's a lot harder to do this look with a new build. When doing a reno, I was able to take my time and find things that made the look work. I guess since I just finished the old :*( kitchen I kind of know what I'm looking for. And yes, this lighting decision is hard, but....I don't have to make this decision for a long time. I'm getting the infamous b**b light over the sink for the time being. :o

Thanks everybody,
    Bee

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    12 years ago

ummm, how the heck did that just double post?

gardenamy--any photos?

• ILoveRed
    12 years ago

Love the chandelier. The RH, next to the last is my favorite. I may use it myself.

I'm not convinced it's "soft" enough to go with your chandelier.

What about this one. One of my faves.

• bessebo53
    12 years ago

Hi,
    I think the last one is perfect for that area or any light with the same basic look. Even if it is white it should also work well but I do like the metal. You don't want anything overbearing in that area.

Best,
    Bob
    LifeinKitchen.com

• lalithar
    12 years ago

I saw the red lover's suggestion..It looks pretty with one of those old fashioned edison bulbs (8 0r 9 watts).. Not a great task lighting item though.

• marcolo
    12 years ago

Interesting how MDBMom's pendant picks up the spiral of the faucet. Smoked glass is an issue, though. Maybe it's an option.

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    12 years ago

If I could get the strands of this one to be less uniform, with some strands hanging a bit lower, I think it might be interesting....I believe the "bubbles" are clear.

• gardenamy
    12 years ago

Bee- Not sure my photo will help in your decision. I have the Krauss, but in this photo it is not installed. This was taken right after granite was installed. Still a work in progress, backsplash got installed yesterday.

As you can see I don't have a pendant, rather ceiling fixtures but they are similar in feel to the RH. I get where you are going and think the RH would look great with the chandy. Amy

• richard_cleves
    12 years ago

Here's a photo of the Cristallo glass in a kitchen, not over a sink but I think it gives a good idea of how it may look.

Here is a link that might be useful: Malina Kitchen Island Pendant

• Mom23Es
    12 years ago
  • babs711
    12 years ago

Mom23, I remember looking at that one a long while back. It's gorgeous and very very pricey from what I recall....way more than any of the Currey or Cristallo ones above. Injust know Bee said some of the ones above might be a bit too pricey. But goodness it's lovely.

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    12 years ago

mom23, I did go look at the website. I see some with a white globe, however they look like sports balls to me, I didn't see the clear one. But, if babs is right, it probably is too pricey for me.

seeing those cristallo ones "in action" really makes me love them. But, they don't have a shiny silver metal option. (good thing--kinda pricey)

thanks for the photo gardenamy, can't wait to see more of your kitchen. Very pretty.

I'm starting to get that "sicky" feeling in my stomach. I actually had the opportunity when the electrician was in there to do 2 recessed lights over the sink because they couldn't center one recessed light. I said "oh, I want to do a pendant light, just put one up there in the middle." Now that I'm looking at so many of these pictures I'm thinking I should have just done the recessed lights.....

ok, it will be fine....it will all work out, right?

• badgergal
    12 years ago

Here are a couple more lights for your consideration. They are from Tech Lighting. They are generally available at local lighting specialty stores or online sites. I have the first one in a different color and I like the downward light that it gives off and the white diffuser inside the glass eliminates glare. It is about 5.5 or 6 inches in height and width. ( I think the specs on line are wrong). It's called Otto and is a low voltage light. The second one is called Liza. It is line voltage and 16.6 x5.5
    {{gwi:1718124}}
    {{gwi:1718125}}

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

Bee--I'm gonna whisper this. Shhhh....(yes, I think you should have done the cans.....)

• francoise47
    12 years ago

You can see the beautiful Juliska orb lights, suggested by MDBmom in this thread, at work in Dotcomgone's Gardenweb kitchen:

{{gwi:1718126}}

As I recall when light shopping last year,
    the stunning "Sorenson" light from Remains lighting
    was well over 1,000 dollars!

See link: http://www.remains.com/product/hl2617.18/sorenson-18-lantern.html

I fell hard for the clear glass shades when doing our reno, but came to regret it and took down my clear shade: I couldn't take the glare.
    Just thought I'd throw that out as something to consider.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dotcomegone's GW Kitchen

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    12 years ago

badgergirl, those are very pretty. I like the 1st one better. The 2nd one is too cylindrical for putting over the tall faucet, I think. (This is why I better see all the items in place to make any decision.)

francoise--yep, dotcomgone.....it dawned on my yesterday that I had seen those lights before in that kitchen. I did go look at them. But I always come back to the glare.

And Breezy--wahhhh. But I keep thinking the builder used the 6" cans in the kitchen (don't even ask why) and I keep saying 2 of those might have been too much. Well, that's my story and I'm sticking with it....ugh

I was on lightingdirect's website last night looking until I developed a headache. There were a lot of possibilities. I think maybe if I take that facet over to the house and have my dh hold it in place for me, I cant try to imagine some options.

I even thought....can I switch the Kraus faucet with the Brizo Solna that is at the prep sink? Would that make things better? (Although the point of the Kraus is using it for cleanup...)

I'm sure my dh can add can lights later if that's what we decide. He did them in our old kitchen.

I wonder if anyone would notice if we added them before they drywall on Tuesday....who's counting the potlights now?

Thanks everybody, if anyone has anymore ideas, please post them.

• kaysd
    12 years ago

I had to look up that pretty Juliska pendant. They also make a frosted version of the Amalia globe pendant, as well as column pendants.

Here is a link that might be useful: Juliska

• itsallaboutthefood
    12 years ago

I ran across this light which looks like one Bee posted above with the "strands of less uniform, with some strands hanging a bit lower".

Here is a link that might be useful: bubbles

• lascatx
    12 years ago

I like the Cristallo ones enough to grab a can of spray paint, but you'd hate to do that with a brand new pricey fixture.

I really like this one and the graceful curved shape that gives a nod to the chandy without taking away from it while the look is just a bit edgy so it could play above your faucet. The catch is it takes a 35w bulb. Not sure if that would be enough light even with a krypton or halogen. Not sure about how an LED would look.

• elphaba_gw
    10 years ago

I'm having to make same decision. What light did you choose? pic?

Here's one I'm thinking about (except this picture is one over an island, not a sink but still...) I like the 19 inch diameter.

Not too late for me to choose a recessed can in front of a new 7 ft wide window behind large sink (with Ikea tall faucet).???

[

[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/amalgam-interior-design-and-architecture-contemporary-kitchen-london-phvw-vp~12557)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022