Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Finished (almost) White Kitchen- PHEW!

Posted by dotcomgone (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 19, 10 at 16:48

Thanks to everyone on Gardenweb for their wealth of information. While I haven't posted often, I have utilized this site daily to find information and inspiration. Thank you for taking your time to share your kitchen ideas so that others can benefit from your experiences.

We are almost done. Just a kitchen table, island stools, desk area chair and accessories to go. Our project started in June and was substantially complete a few days before Christmas.

Unfortunately, I don't have before photos handy and used my iphone to snap these shots. Sorry for the quality. Our old kitchen was L shaped as well, a galley style with eating area. We had white 80's cabinets (solid door) with soffits. Counters were white square tile. Our worst feature was the powder room in the kitchen space and window that faced into our neighbors house (current range wall.) We expanded our kitchen by pushing out the range wall. Other than that we had to work within the space. Our main goals were moving the powder room out of the kitchen, storage, fitting in an island and eating area and respecting the age of our home (1906).

I am happy to share any details if anyone is interested.

Thanks again to all esp. those who helped me through a mini-marble crisis.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobuckethref="http://s849.photobucket.com/albums/ab52/dotcomgone/?action=view¤t=1263850210.jpg" target="_blank">Photobuckethref="http://s849.photobucket.com/albums/ab52/dotcomgone/?action=view¤t=1263850981.jpg" target="_blank">Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Finished (almost) White Kitchen- PHEW!

WOW WOW WOW!

o

Absolutely lovely in every detail! I'm swooning - SWOONING - over your nook! I adore the symmetry of the whole thing, the marble, the dark island, the gorgeous windows. Wonderfully done!

o

Beautiful!!! I absolutely love the pendant lights- I'm having an awful time finding any I love and these are exactly what I'm looking for! Can you share details? Thanks!!!

o

Perfect! Scrumptuous! I love everything about your kitchen, especially your marble, your light fixtures and your beautiful breakfast nook.

o

Stunning! Also love your pendants over the island...please share!! ;-)

o

Wow!! That's wonderful. I love your marble, pendants and the corner table area. What a nice view out to the backyard.

o

Absolutely gorgeous! The marble is fantastic and really gets showcased on the backsplash. What a wonderful job you've done. Wish I'd seen those globe pendants before I bought mine, love the chain link on them. Enjoy!!!!

o

Stunning in every way!

I love the lights, the shelf over the range,
the nook, the floor, and is that a marble slab
backsplash? I absolutely love it all!

You must be so thrilled.

Thanks so much for sharing.

o

Thank you all so much. We are very happy with the final result and relieved to be (almost) done. Need to take a few breaths before I start searching for those last details.
The pendant lights are from Juliska. www.juliska.com. They are the Amalia globe pendants 10"w x 12"h. They have a smaller size as well. We really needed light that would project both out and down and love these too.

o

LOVE it. Your marble looks like mine, kinda sorta, so I especially love it. :-) Great job.

o

Very nicely done! Thanks for sharing the great pics. Especially love the marble and the pendants-breathtaking.

o

Breathtaking! Your kitchen is beautiful. I love marble and yours is spectacular. Enjoy many years of good food, good friends and happiness in your new spaces.

o

Wow, just like everyone else said, that is gorgeous. I just love your marble. If we had the 'stones' (pun intended) we would have gone for marble as well. Really a beautiful space, enjoy it.

o

That is one gorgeous space. Excellence in every detail. Gotta love those bridge faucets! :)

o

Beautiful and classic. Love all the glass doors, the marble, the hardware, everything. Oh and the lights are TDF. Enjoy your new space.

o

Drool. It's just fantastic! I love all of it, but especially that marble and all the lovely trim work (I'm gaga for trim!). I also love how you have the stained wood door leading outside. That's a fav look of mine too. Gorgeous! I wish you many delicious meals :)

o

You have a beautiful kitchen. The marble backsplash is stunning. Our construction was about the same amount of time as yours. Enjoy being finished!

o

GORGEOUS!!! Is that Carrera Marble? Who made your cabinets? I love everything you did!

o

Beautiful!!!

o

Okay, the whole thing is jaw-dropping awesome, but my favorite bit is the little piece of marble backsplash above the dishwasher - it looks like its a piece of renaissance fresco or something. A piece of Michaelangelo's sky. I would be forced to sit there and look at it all day.

One of the best kitchens I've seen.

o

LOVE LOVE LOVE. Can you please post the details? Cabinets, type of marble, etc.?

o

WOW! So many beautiful details, hard to choose a favorite. Please share details, cabinet color, etc. I love how you did the banquette and love your door out to the yard, and the windows and trim in addition to the obvious ones --- beautiful marble, cabinets and super cool lights!

o

Echoing everyone else WOW WOW WOW!!! Simply beautiful! Every detail. Enjoy your fabulous new space!!!

o

Absolutely stunning. I love the marble and the glass doors and well , everything. I have an 1890 home and can honestly say you did a wonderful job of living up to your beautiful home. c

o

Wow. Thanks so much for your kind remarks.
Here are the details:
Cabinets: Custom/Seattle- Baywood Cabinetry.
Paint- BM White Dove-oil based.
Island: Walnut stained just a shade darker than natural.
Floors: We discovered original Douglas fir floors throughout first floor of house and salvaged. We could not save fir in kitchen and patched in new there. Medium stain.
Countertops & backsplash: 2cm Calacatta Gold marble
Hardware: Polished nickel Schaub select cup pulls and knobs. Latches- Cliffside Industries polished nickel.
Paint- Green near nook- BM Baby Fern. Black on back door-
BM Black.
Lighting: Pendants- Juliska globe pendants, Amalia. Antique french chandelier in nook. Juno undercabinet lights.
Appliances- Miele optima dishwasher; Subzero 36" over/under; Wolf 48" range all gas, griddle and grill.
Sink- Shaw's Original 30".
Faucet- Perrin and Rohl bridge faucet with sidespray & soap dispenser.

I think that is it. We had an amazing architect and phenomenal contractor. If you are in the Seattle area let me know and I am happy to share their information.

Also, would love any advice on table/bar stool ideas. I lean toward all things french and am thinking of a black iron pedestal bistro table base (ornate?) with either a walnut or blackish marble top.

o

dotcomgone,

That is one beautiful kitchen! I love the lights - I've never seen anything like them!

Questions... (I am sorry for being slack and looking only at pictures and not reading -- I'm in a hurry tonight. I'll go back, I promise. If you have already answered these, just reply "Read the thread!")
- How do you like having a "dead" corner? Or is it used from another room on the other side? I would rather do that if I had the counter space, but don't think so.
- What is the total capacity of your trash cans? How wide is the door on the pullout?
- I want your window and door trim! (Can I have it please?) Details on that? 8' ceilings?

Thanks!

o

Simply Gorgeous!!

o

Hi Jsweenc. Not sure what you mean by 'dead corner'. Do you mean the corner to the right the sink where the counter doesn't wrap around? If so, that was intentional as that is an exterior wall which was bumped out a little over 2 feet. I actually wanted a symmetrical wall there and wanted to avoid cabinets in corners. It also makes sense on the exterior to allow more room around the corner of the house to the side walkway.
Trash cans could definitely be bigger. They use a standard 13 gallon trash bag. The cabinet is almost 24" wide. It is similar to a rev-a-shelf bin. Wish I had one for compost too!
I would share door trim if I could! ;0) We just copied the trim from other areas of our house. I will see if I can get you more specifics on that. Our ceilings are a bit more than 9. Hope that helps!

o

WHoo hoo--it's gorgeous. The whole house is beautiful. I can picture myself waltzing around the kitchen, the nook, and into the dining room-which is so gorg and comfortable and elegant. Your lights, cabinetry, windows, marble.

o

It's breathtaking! I love those pendants, and I felt a naughty twinge of jealousy over your range and your trimwork.

o

dotcom, that's the corner I meant. I've seen it referred to as a dead corner because it's not functional, but I love the way it looks! I have plenty of cabinets and drawers, and counter space but the corner will be close to the range so I need a little extra space there. Thanks for sharing!

I always ask about that trim when I see it, because I love the look, but all I have to do is show GC a picture and he'll be able to reproduce it, so don't go to any trouble! Mostly I meant measurements and close-up photos, not historical or style information. When you know what you like, it doesn't matter what it's called! We have 8' ceilings so may need to size it down. Or go to the ceiling.

o

Really stunning. Love all the marble!

o

Spectacular!

o

Beautiful kitchen! Your marble backsplash is SO dramatic! I love all your glass and all your windows, too. And as so many others have said, your pendants are beautiful!

Enjoy!

o

Ditto...ditto...ditto...beautiful, gorgeous, dramatic, breath taking. Love the marble, it really brings the room to life. Wonderful use of white and gray. I would be very happy in that kitchen!!!

o

Absolutely beautiful!

o

this is making me very, very HAPPY! i'm loving your pendants; what a great choice! they have a beautiful shape and throw some whimsy in with all that glam marble! absolutely delish! congratulations. enjoy your wonderful space!

o

Beautiful. Very nice!

o

The lights over the island caught my eye first and that says alot because that marble is amazing!!!! Every space is so elegant and put together. Love the nook too. Love the darker wood of the island and how it looks great with the lighter floors. Really beautiful!

o

If only I could have marble (she says whistfully)...your kitchen is absolutely lovelier than I could ever put in words.

Love the Juliska pendants--do you have water/wine glasses to match? I LOVE those too. I just have two small candleholders that look similar, but the wine glasses are my wish list!

o

Beautiful!!!! Dotcomgone (love that name!): I'm also in Seattle and have just started interviewing architects and have not decided on one yet. Would you mind sharing the name of yours as you mentioned above? Btw, my good friend just picked up a pair of Juliska sconces at a Kirkland shop and loves them -- I'm going to send her a pick of your pendants since she's remodeling her kitchen too and loves all things Juliska! Thanks! And congrats on your gorgeous kitchen!

P.S. Have you checked out Ballard Designs (see link below) for French/Bistro chairs -- just saw some featured in a kitchen magazine recently...

Here is a link that might be useful: Ballard Designs

o

Looks beautiful. I am using the same color cabinets, only my kitchen is a lot smaller. I hope my result is half as nice as yours!

o

The kitchen I'm doing now is totally modern, but I was really torn between your style and mine. I love mine, but I assume I'll want traditional again some day, and when I do, I want one like yours!
Lisa

o
Window Sills

Could you do me a slightly weird favor and post a picture of your window sill where it's just a sill, not part of the built in seating? That is the next trim in the house. Right now, I'm trading in traditional normal inexpensive for just plain 1x6 boards. I'd like to add the trim you have when I go back to traditional. I have detailed pics of the top from a friend of mine, but didn't think to take pics of the window sills!
Lisa

o

It's absolutely beautiful. I love all the windows. Exquisite. Well done!

o

Add my "ooh's & ahh's" to the chorus. I echo all the above posts that spoke to how well the different components work to make a beautiful, classic kitchen with personality.

I want your trim, too...

o

Wow Wow Wow!
Love it!
The trim & the banquette are especially amazing.
Enjoy!

o

I am speechless...your kitchen is a dream. I will be looking at it for a very long time. In fact, I just keep scrolling back up this thread to look at it.

The marble is breathtaking, well so is the entire kitchen. I hope you are making lots of French food and chanelling Julia while you do it!

Fantastic!

o

As everyone else has said - Wow!!! Your kitchen is gorgeous! The marble is to die for!!!! Even with all the white and marble you created a warm, light-filled and inviting space. Congratulations on a job well done. Enjoy!

o

I will be setting this as a "favorite". You've done an amazing job. Your kitchen is stunning. Congradulations! Thank you for sharing.

o

I have a really unrelated question--your kettle--is that the 2qt size? Thanks!

o

Your kitchen is absolutely gorgeous! Your marble is a show stopper. Normally, I pass by "another finished white kitchen" post, because there have been such a preponderance of them lately... but yours made me remember why I LOVE the classic white kitchen. I just couldn't stop saying "WOW", while I oggled your pics! Love the use of space you've acheived with the banquette, and how you framed it all with the windows and french door. Also, I think your upper-uppers with the nickle catches are a terrific feature. They hide things you may store and not use often and are a nice counterpoint to the glass fronts. Congratulations on doing your 1906 home justice with such an appropriate beautiful kitchen!

o

Just perfect..you must be so happy!!!

Is your DW a regular size or is it an 18? Could you tell me if they laid plywould over the top of the DW to lay the marble on or is the marble just sitting on the outside edges of the trim? Beautiful, beautiful marble!

o

Drool!!!!!!!!!!!

That is so beautiful. I love the way the swirl on the lighting over the island references the marble. It's just stunning. Congratulations!

o

Ooops! I forgot to ask the manufacturer of your back door. Thanks!

o

Beautifully done! Looks like you paid attention to every last detail!

LOVE that black door, and those pendants, are to drool for! Congratulations!

o

oh my... GORGEOUS!!!!! We've been remodeling portions of our house.... gutting old baths of fiberglass units, re-tiling, re-painting the entire house (which is too large, I'm afraid)....etc. Starting upstairs and working downstairs.....'Saving the master bath and kitchen until last. I've already grown weary, but needed inspiration. These photos did it! I'm inspired to start planning again. thank you for sharing your beautiful work.

o

It is all amazing! Like many other posters, I am infatuated with those pendants- that really just makes the whole space sing! Your back door is the same as mine! Except mine isn't painted yet, nor does it have trim...

Could you share the dimensions of the space (the main kitchen rectangle, from the right of the back door, as well as the eating nook?

FABULOUS!!!!

o

Love it! It is very similar to my kitchen and as we are still trying to ecide on a backsplash, I can use this as inspiration.l We are not sure if we want to go with a slab or tile....I could't fine any images of a calacutta counter and backsplash anywhere. THanks!

o

Breathtakingly gorgeous! Your marble is absolutely beautiful! Every detail.....amazing!

o

Oh wow ... it's beautiful. I have to say, I'm not ordinarily a marble fan (too cold and formal for my tastes, usually), but I love it in your kitchen. I think your dark wood floors provide so much warm that it all looks perfect. Plus, it looks like you have a honed or not-so-shiny finish on the marble (which has great, thick striations in it), which makes it look just awesome. I'd be pleased as punch if that were my kitchen!

o

STUNNING in every way.

o

I think I just shorted out my keyboard from all the drool.

Simply spectacular!

That marble is amazing, and I love your glass doors with the doors above! And the trim work... MINE! (the two-year-old in me surfaces sometimes ;^) )

Enjoy your fantastic space!

o

Thanks again so much for all the kind comments. Truly, I don't know how I would have gotten my kitchen done without having the ability to peek into all of your kitchens!

It is so ironic that some of the things that caused the most stress (marble) and we felt were the big risks (pendant lights) ended up being some of the things we love the most. I sure hope it is classic because I told my husband that there will be no more kitchen remodels in our future...if we move he'll have to let his 2nd wife do it. ;0)

beekeepers wife- yes the kettle is the 2qt size. I didn't know they came in other sizes. I have been wanting one for years and Santa left it under the tree! I got it at Williams Sonoma and it was a bit less expensive there than Sur la Table. Haven't seen that movie yet but can't wait!

Kimkitchy- you must have xray vision to see all the stuff hidden in those upper cabinets! My thoughts EXACTLY. Old house = no storage.

Zoey Neohio- It is a regular size dishwasher and plywood was used to support the marble. The door manufacturer is Simpson. (exterior door 7010.)

Amberley- Dimensions of main rectangle are 16'(fridge wall to sink wall) x 9'3" (range wall to end of island). The nook is 4'1" x 7'6". There are 4 ft. b/w island and nook.

jsweenc and Lisaslists2000- here's a photo of some sills for you. The first one is detail of the nook window top.
Photobucket

This one is the nook window bottom.
Photobucket

This is a old window in our hallway so you can see the bottom.
Photobucket

And finally our sink window which is a marble sill.
Photobucket

The trim is 4 1/2 inches not including the little side ogee leading into the window. Hope this helps!

Marg42- Our architect is Rex Holhbein. You can google him and tell him Trish gave you his name. He is so talented, and kind. He definitely is capable of any look as he has won awards for his modern architecture. (He is also my oldest and dearest friend's brother so full disclosure. ;0)
Which Kirkland store has sconces??? LOVE Juliska! I'' check out those Ballard design chairs. Thanks so much for suggesting them!

Hope I didn't miss any questions. HTH!

o

I think this is what my kitchen wants to be when it grows up. Just gorgeous!!

o

Absolutely gorgeous! I love seeing pics of your calacatta counters, sink and faucet since I just decided to use all of those for my kitchen reno, too! I have one question - Is that an air switch next to your soap dispenser? What brand and finish did you choose for them?

Thanks for sharing your pics and info! You did an amazing job.

o

One of my favorite kitchens! I just love your gorgeous marble counters and backsplash. I also love your drawers that look like two drawers that are one and hold the trash and recyclables. Thanks for Sharing.

o

Oh my goodness...that marble, it's like Pavlov's dogs right now for me.

Congratulations on a stunning kitchen.

o

Hi dotcomgone! Thanks for the name of your architect -- he's obviously amazing :). (btw, you also mentioned you loved your contractor -- do you mind sharing his name too?) The Kirkland store is "Liberty" -- get there fast as the owner is selling her store and moving to Santa Barbara to open another store and do interior design there. Again, beautiful kitchen!!!!!

o

altagirl- yes that is an air switch. So glad I did that. Sure beats wet hands going under the sink or to wall. The soap dispenser is also by Perrin and Rohl. I think they only had two options. It is polished nickel. The air switch was chosen by our contractor. I'll see if I can find out info on it.

Marg42- We used Lockhart Suver. I highly recommend them. EVERYONE we deal with from owner, to project manager to on site supervisor and workers were top notch. We had a really positive experience.

o

It's all been said...but worth saying again.

G O R G E O U S!

Love it all, esp the small details like the marble window sill.

This table may not work but I feel in love with it when we were looking for stools. May not be the look you were seeking but thought I'd throw it into the mix! Craft Table by America Retold.

Eliz

o

Thanks Eliz. That is a fantastic table. Love it! I will look into the dimensions.

o

What a heavenly kitchen. Thanks so much for sharing.

o

You did a beautiful job! I love your kitchen.

I am interested in your over the sink lighting. I have the same type of set up over my kitchen sink, and cannot see the sink because of a dinky fluorescent bulb. I really like the way your light floods the sink area.

If you don't mind sharing, I would love to know! Thank you!

o

1st of all, your kitchen is just absolutely gorgeous. I have a question about your Wolf Range. It is the one that I have picked out but have waffled back and forth about only having 2 burners (but really think I will use the griddle and the grill . . . I think)

Does it work well for you? Any regrets? Also what hood did you choose and are you happy with your choice (considering smoke from grill, noise, clean up etc)

Thanks so much for sharing your beautiful kitchen.

o

Thanks dotcomgone! I called Rex today! And once I know what direction I'm going I'll definitely call Lockhart too. Question: How soon did you bring in your contractor -- i.e., after you had your designs drawn up or before (for checking costs, etc.)? Your kitchen is now legendary on GW!! :)

o

Thanks Hapyfrustrated- The light above the sink is a halogen light I believe.

Borngrace- Thanks and so far I LOVE my wolf range. It is a 4 burner with grill and griddle. I've only used it for a few weeks but so far it's great. We use the griddle almost everyday! Pancakes, warming tortillas, eggs.. it is all so easy with the griddle. We have used the grill a few times and have a 48" vent a hood which seems sufficient for the smoke/smell. I think we are still inclined to use our outdoor grill unless the weather prevents it. If I had to choose between grill and griddle based on the few weeks use I would get the griddle. The burners are fantastic. They really get down to a small flame for simmering. So far the only negative thing I can say about the Wolf is that it does not have a clock/timer.

Marg 42- We have done it both ways. We were suppose to remodel our kitchen over a year ago based on plans we had done with a different architect. In that situation we had hired a contractor before working with the architect in the hopes that the contractor could work with the architect and help keep the scope of the plans in tune with our budget. Unfortunately, it didn't help and we spent a TON of money on architectural plans for a kitchen we never built. That's when we called Rex. He came up with a new plan for us and then we interviewed contractors. I liked the contractor we had lined up before, but didn't feel obligated to use him. I interviewed 3 more contractors (Rex recommended two of them) before deciding to go with Lockhart. It was actually really helpful to interview all in the same day. It made it very easy to compare and contrast communication style, attention to detail etc. Thanks so much for your compliments. Good luck!

o

Just beautiful!! Love your pendants, marble and well... everything!!

o

Thanks for the pictures of the trim. I just now got back here to see it. I like both the new style you used in your kitchen and the old style on your hall window. It will be hard to decide whether to do plain boards or more, but it helps having some close-ups.

I can't believe I didn't see the beautiful orchid on the first pass. Did you raise it yourself?

o

jsweenc- it was a thank you and congratulations gift from our contractor, in addition to a treasure hunt which led to some bubbly. It is truly beautiful. I'm doing my best to keep it alive but don't have the greenest thumb!

o

Ditto Ditto Ditto
Absolutely gorgeous!
I am going back up for a third look!

o

i could lick that marble!! wowwww...

o

May I archive your kitchen in the Finished Kitchens blog? Please submit the FKB checklist to give your permission.
Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: FKB Category Checklist

o

Simply breathtaking.

o

I love everything about your space! Amazing!

o

dotcomgone - Your kitchen is totally awesome ! all these detailed pulled together so well ..

Hope you will answer this for me .. you mentioned that you had soffits in your old kitchen . Did you take it apart ?

o

Hi Crozzroad. Thanks so much. Yes we took the kitchen down to the studs and everything came out. We love having the cabinets go to the ceiling. It really shows off the ceiling height and the extra storage is wonderful.

o

Hi dotcomgone, I was just looking through your pics again because I am now at the point of putting in my uc lights and remembered that you had a cabinet over your sink. My sink is on an inside wall and has a cabinet overhead but I don't want to see the regular uc lights. I like what you've done. What is that light in your cabinet? or do you have any suggestions for me?

o

It is SO beautiful, thanks for sharing!

o

Hi Altagirl. We used a Juno TC18 3 inch with halogen bulb.
It was actually a last minute call as we forgot to design lighting there. It is perfect and we are so glad we had it installed. HTH

o

Mmmmm delicious!

o

Thanks, dotcomgone! That's a huge help.

o

It is very chic. Love your Wolf rang and hood. The colors are very calming. I bet your are cooking up a storm now!
Congrats and enjoy!

o

dotcomgone-

I hope you can help me out by sharing a few dimensions from your kitchne. As I had mentioned earlier, my kitchen has similar dimensions to yours. I have the ability to adjust my back wall design tomorrow, if I want to. At the moment, I have a 48" counter to the left of the range, and a 24" counter to the right. I am considering centering the range on the wall, and having 2 36" counter runs on each side. How wide are your counter runs on each side of the range? What do you use them for? Are those sizes working out well for you? Also, what are the dimensions of your island? This would help me out ALOT! Thanks!

BTW, it is still beautiful! One of my favorites ever on GW.

o

Hi Amberley. Thanks so much! We have 48" on either side of the range. We pushed that wall out and decided to make it a bit deeper than standard so it is 48" x 27" on either side. That extra room on either side makes it really useable. One side has become a bar area with glasses above and where we pour wine, make drinks etc and everything needed for it is in that area. The other side has become baking. I find I do a vast majority of food prep on the island though. I have never had an island before and it is so nice to not have the interference of upper cabinetry in the work zone. Also not sure what standard upper cabinet height is but ours start at 19" above counter. The island is 63.5" x 38.5". Hope this helps! Are you planning on an island? Looking forward to seeing your kitchen!

o

Hi dotcomgone, It's me again! I have another question regarding your sink and faucet. There was a question here in the kitchens forum about splashing and height of faucet with a Shaw's 30" sink. I never thought about that being an issue but now I'm wondering. Do you have any issues with splashing? I'm also having the Shaw's 30" sink and Perrin and Rowe bridge faucet which will be installed next week. Should I rethink my choice? I hope not, it's gorgeous in your kitchen and I'm really excited to have it mine!

o

That helps alot! Long story short, as soon as we were down to the studs/brick I realized that we had an additional 3" in my main wall than we thought (due to the way the HVAC chase was framed), and I realized almost immediately that I could change the peninsula to an island! Hooray! The island will be almost exactly the same as the peninsula- 87" long, with my Shaws in the middle. My back wall has a 7 1/2' run that I can either center the 30" range on (with 36" counters on each side), or 48" counter, then the range, then 24" counter. The second one is how I have it currently laid out. Now knowing that you have 48" counters, I think I will leave it with it not centered, to give me a longer counter run. Although I really like the idea of having it centered, I think that a 48" run will probably be more useful in the end.

We are also doing 27" deep counters on that wall! I am glad to know that it has made a big difference in your space! Are your wall cabs 15" deep? Does the 19" space make a big difference as well? We had been planning on 18".

o

Hi Altagirl. No I haven't had any problems with the Shaw's and splashing with Perrin and Rowe faucet. I'm still very pleased with both choices. Just be careful with the finish if you went with polished nickel. Barkeeper's friend will damage the finish if it splatters on the faucet.

Amberley- How wide is the island? That's a great size island length and with the long wall behind it sounds like it will be a wonderful space. My cabinets are actually only 13". We went with 19" counter to cabinet distance after a discussion with our architect. I think you have to consider your height and if you can easily reach at least the first two shelves. I was really looking to make the counters as user friendly as possible and the extra depth and height help make it a useful work space for us. My old kitchen was very difficult to work in because all counters had upper cabinets and they were low with standard depth counters. It did not feel like there was much space to work comfortably. I do think 'standard' is 18 from the counter though. Also, my cabinets go all the way to the ceiling so I was willing to lose that inch.

o

I am short, but most of the things I am storing in the uppers are not as often used, with the exception of the bottom shelf. I think I will take them up to 19' if we have room to do 39" uppers plus my crown.

My island will be 42" wide- we have a little flex with that, and may have to shave off an inch if my aisle between the island and the dining room table seems too wide. I will know next Monday when the cabinet boxes are installed.

My old kitchen was also very tight on counter space- sounds similar to what you described.

If you get a chance sometime in the next week, would you be able to post a pic of the underside of your Shaws showing how it is supported?

Thanks for your quick responses- you've been very helpful!

Amy

o

I'm bumping this for Lynn and others. :-)

o

This Kitchen is stunning, and has many similarities to what we are currently planning. Would you please share your experiences so far with the marble counters and backsplash? Are they honed or polished, and do you have any regrets or anything you'd do differently? Thx very much.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here