Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trish21

Finished (almost) White Kitchen- PHEW!

trish21
14 years ago

Thanks to everyone on Gardenweb for their wealth of information. While I haven't posted often, I have utilized this site daily to find information and inspiration. Thank you for taking your time to share your kitchen ideas so that others can benefit from your experiences.

We are almost done. Just a kitchen table, island stools, desk area chair and accessories to go. Our project started in June and was substantially complete a few days before Christmas.

Unfortunately, I don't have before photos handy and used my iphone to snap these shots. Sorry for the quality. Our old kitchen was L shaped as well, a galley style with eating area. We had white 80's cabinets (solid door) with soffits. Counters were white square tile. Our worst feature was the powder room in the kitchen space and window that faced into our neighbors house (current range wall.) We expanded our kitchen by pushing out the range wall. Other than that we had to work within the space. Our main goals were moving the powder room out of the kitchen, storage, fitting in an island and eating area and respecting the age of our home (1906).

I am happy to share any details if anyone is interested.

Thanks again to all esp. those who helped me through a mini-marble crisis.

href="http://s849.photobucket.com/albums/ab52/dotcomgone/?action=view&current=1263850210.jpg"; target="_blank">
href="http://s849.photobucket.com/albums/ab52/dotcomgone/?action=view&current=1263850981.jpg"; target="_blank">

Comments (109)

• pluckymama
    14 years ago

Breathtakingly gorgeous! Your marble is absolutely beautiful! Every detail.....amazing!

• wi-sailorgirl
    14 years ago

Oh wow ... it's beautiful. I have to say, I'm not ordinarily a marble fan (too cold and formal for my tastes, usually), but I love it in your kitchen. I think your dark wood floors provide so much warm that it all looks perfect. Plus, it looks like you have a honed or not-so-shiny finish on the marble (which has great, thick striations in it), which makes it look just awesome. I'd be pleased as punch if that were my kitchen!

• pajamanyc
    14 years ago

STUNNING in every way.

• shelayne
    14 years ago

I think I just shorted out my keyboard from all the drool.

Simply spectacular!

That marble is amazing, and I love your glass doors with the doors above! And the trim work... MINE! (the two-year-old in me surfaces sometimes ;^) )

Enjoy your fantastic space!

• trish21
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks again so much for all the kind comments. Truly, I don't know how I would have gotten my kitchen done without having the ability to peek into all of your kitchens!

It is so ironic that some of the things that caused the most stress (marble) and we felt were the big risks (pendant lights) ended up being some of the things we love the most. I sure hope it is classic because I told my husband that there will be no more kitchen remodels in our future...if we move he'll have to let his 2nd wife do it. ;0)

beekeepers wife- yes the kettle is the 2qt size. I didn't know they came in other sizes. I have been wanting one for years and Santa left it under the tree! I got it at Williams Sonoma and it was a bit less expensive there than Sur la Table. Haven't seen that movie yet but can't wait!

Kimkitchy- you must have xray vision to see all the stuff hidden in those upper cabinets! My thoughts EXACTLY. Old house = no storage.

Zoey Neohio- It is a regular size dishwasher and plywood was used to support the marble. The door manufacturer is Simpson. (exterior door 7010.)

Amberley- Dimensions of main rectangle are 16'(fridge wall to sink wall) x 9'3" (range wall to end of island). The nook is 4'1" x 7'6". There are 4 ft. b/w island and nook.

jsweenc and Lisaslists2000- here's a photo of some sills for you. The first one is detail of the nook window top.

This one is the nook window bottom.

This is a old window in our hallway so you can see the bottom.

And finally our sink window which is a marble sill.

The trim is 4 1/2 inches not including the little side ogee leading into the window. Hope this helps!

Marg42- Our architect is Rex Holhbein. You can google him and tell him Trish gave you his name. He is so talented, and kind. He definitely is capable of any look as he has won awards for his modern architecture. (He is also my oldest and dearest friend's brother so full disclosure. ;0)
    Which Kirkland store has sconces??? LOVE Juliska! I'' check out those Ballard design chairs. Thanks so much for suggesting them!

Hope I didn't miss any questions. HTH!

• donnakay2009
    14 years ago

I think this is what my kitchen wants to be when it grows up. Just gorgeous!!

• altagirl
    14 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous! I love seeing pics of your calacatta counters, sink and faucet since I just decided to use all of those for my kitchen reno, too! I have one question - Is that an air switch next to your soap dispenser? What brand and finish did you choose for them?

Thanks for sharing your pics and info! You did an amazing job.

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

One of my favorite kitchens! I just love your gorgeous marble counters and backsplash. I also love your drawers that look like two drawers that are one and hold the trash and recyclables. Thanks for Sharing.

• onelady1dog2girls
    14 years ago

Oh my goodness...that marble, it's like Pavlov's dogs right now for me.

Congratulations on a stunning kitchen.

• marg42
    14 years ago

Hi dotcomgone! Thanks for the name of your architect -- he's obviously amazing :). (btw, you also mentioned you loved your contractor -- do you mind sharing his name too?) The Kirkland store is "Liberty" -- get there fast as the owner is selling her store and moving to Santa Barbara to open another store and do interior design there. Again, beautiful kitchen!!!!!

• trish21
    Original Author
    14 years ago

altagirl- yes that is an air switch. So glad I did that. Sure beats wet hands going under the sink or to wall. The soap dispenser is also by Perrin and Rohl. I think they only had two options. It is polished nickel. The air switch was chosen by our contractor. I'll see if I can find out info on it.

Marg42- We used Lockhart Suver. I highly recommend them. EVERYONE we deal with from owner, to project manager to on site supervisor and workers were top notch. We had a really positive experience.

• elizpiz
    14 years ago

It's all been said...but worth saying again.

G O R G E O U S!

Love it all, esp the small details like the marble window sill.

This table may not work but I feel in love with it when we were looking for stools. May not be the look you were seeking but thought I'd throw it into the mix! Craft Table by America Retold.

Eliz

• trish21
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Eliz. That is a fantastic table. Love it! I will look into the dimensions.

• blondie859111
    14 years ago

What a heavenly kitchen. Thanks so much for sharing.

• hapyfrustrated
    14 years ago

You did a beautiful job! I love your kitchen.

I am interested in your over the sink lighting. I have the same type of set up over my kitchen sink, and cannot see the sink because of a dinky fluorescent bulb. I really like the way your light floods the sink area.

If you don't mind sharing, I would love to know! Thank you!

• borngrace
    14 years ago

1st of all, your kitchen is just absolutely gorgeous. I have a question about your Wolf Range. It is the one that I have picked out but have waffled back and forth about only having 2 burners (but really think I will use the griddle and the grill . . . I think)

Does it work well for you? Any regrets? Also what hood did you choose and are you happy with your choice (considering smoke from grill, noise, clean up etc)

Thanks so much for sharing your beautiful kitchen.

• marg42
    14 years ago

Thanks dotcomgone! I called Rex today! And once I know what direction I'm going I'll definitely call Lockhart too. Question: How soon did you bring in your contractor -- i.e., after you had your designs drawn up or before (for checking costs, etc.)? Your kitchen is now legendary on GW!! :)

• trish21
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Hapyfrustrated- The light above the sink is a halogen light I believe.

Borngrace- Thanks and so far I LOVE my wolf range. It is a 4 burner with grill and griddle. I've only used it for a few weeks but so far it's great. We use the griddle almost everyday! Pancakes, warming tortillas, eggs.. it is all so easy with the griddle. We have used the grill a few times and have a 48" vent a hood which seems sufficient for the smoke/smell. I think we are still inclined to use our outdoor grill unless the weather prevents it. If I had to choose between grill and griddle based on the few weeks use I would get the griddle. The burners are fantastic. They really get down to a small flame for simmering. So far the only negative thing I can say about the Wolf is that it does not have a clock/timer.

Marg 42- We have done it both ways. We were suppose to remodel our kitchen over a year ago based on plans we had done with a different architect. In that situation we had hired a contractor before working with the architect in the hopes that the contractor could work with the architect and help keep the scope of the plans in tune with our budget. Unfortunately, it didn't help and we spent a TON of money on architectural plans for a kitchen we never built. That's when we called Rex. He came up with a new plan for us and then we interviewed contractors. I liked the contractor we had lined up before, but didn't feel obligated to use him. I interviewed 3 more contractors (Rex recommended two of them) before deciding to go with Lockhart. It was actually really helpful to interview all in the same day. It made it very easy to compare and contrast communication style, attention to detail etc. Thanks so much for your compliments. Good luck!

• abananie
    14 years ago

Just beautiful!! Love your pendants, marble and well... everything!!

• jsweenc
    14 years ago

Thanks for the pictures of the trim. I just now got back here to see it. I like both the new style you used in your kitchen and the old style on your hall window. It will be hard to decide whether to do plain boards or more, but it helps having some close-ups.

I can't believe I didn't see the beautiful orchid on the first pass. Did you raise it yourself?

• trish21
    Original Author
    14 years ago

jsweenc- it was a thank you and congratulations gift from our contractor, in addition to a treasure hunt which led to some bubbly. It is truly beautiful. I'm doing my best to keep it alive but don't have the greenest thumb!

• swspitfire
    14 years ago

Ditto Ditto Ditto
    Absolutely gorgeous!
    I am going back up for a third look!

• pharaoh
    14 years ago

i could lick that marble!! wowwww...

• starpooh
    14 years ago

May I archive your kitchen in the Finished Kitchens blog? Please submit the FKB checklist to give your permission.
    Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: FKB Category Checklist

• lizziebethtx
    14 years ago

Simply breathtaking.

• wickedstari
    14 years ago

I love everything about your space! Amazing!

• crozzroad
    14 years ago

dotcomgone - Your kitchen is totally awesome ! all these detailed pulled together so well ..

Hope you will answer this for me .. you mentioned that you had soffits in your old kitchen . Did you take it apart ?

• trish21
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Crozzroad. Thanks so much. Yes we took the kitchen down to the studs and everything came out. We love having the cabinets go to the ceiling. It really shows off the ceiling height and the extra storage is wonderful.

• altagirl
    14 years ago

Hi dotcomgone, I was just looking through your pics again because I am now at the point of putting in my uc lights and remembered that you had a cabinet over your sink. My sink is on an inside wall and has a cabinet overhead but I don't want to see the regular uc lights. I like what you've done. What is that light in your cabinet? or do you have any suggestions for me?

• dmwbcc
    14 years ago

It is SO beautiful, thanks for sharing!

• trish21
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Altagirl. We used a Juno TC18 3 inch with halogen bulb.
    It was actually a last minute call as we forgot to design lighting there. It is perfect and we are so glad we had it installed. HTH

• theresse
    14 years ago

Mmmmm delicious!

• altagirl
    14 years ago

Thanks, dotcomgone! That's a huge help.

• danielle84
    14 years ago

It is very chic. Love your Wolf rang and hood. The colors are very calming. I bet your are cooking up a storm now!
    Congrats and enjoy!

• amberley
    14 years ago

dotcomgone-

I hope you can help me out by sharing a few dimensions from your kitchne. As I had mentioned earlier, my kitchen has similar dimensions to yours. I have the ability to adjust my back wall design tomorrow, if I want to. At the moment, I have a 48" counter to the left of the range, and a 24" counter to the right. I am considering centering the range on the wall, and having 2 36" counter runs on each side. How wide are your counter runs on each side of the range? What do you use them for? Are those sizes working out well for you? Also, what are the dimensions of your island? This would help me out ALOT! Thanks!

BTW, it is still beautiful! One of my favorites ever on GW.

• trish21
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Amberley. Thanks so much! We have 48" on either side of the range. We pushed that wall out and decided to make it a bit deeper than standard so it is 48" x 27" on either side. That extra room on either side makes it really useable. One side has become a bar area with glasses above and where we pour wine, make drinks etc and everything needed for it is in that area. The other side has become baking. I find I do a vast majority of food prep on the island though. I have never had an island before and it is so nice to not have the interference of upper cabinetry in the work zone. Also not sure what standard upper cabinet height is but ours start at 19" above counter. The island is 63.5" x 38.5". Hope this helps! Are you planning on an island? Looking forward to seeing your kitchen!

• altagirl
    14 years ago

Hi dotcomgone, It's me again! I have another question regarding your sink and faucet. There was a question here in the kitchens forum about splashing and height of faucet with a Shaw's 30" sink. I never thought about that being an issue but now I'm wondering. Do you have any issues with splashing? I'm also having the Shaw's 30" sink and Perrin and Rowe bridge faucet which will be installed next week. Should I rethink my choice? I hope not, it's gorgeous in your kitchen and I'm really excited to have it mine!

• amberley
    14 years ago

That helps alot! Long story short, as soon as we were down to the studs/brick I realized that we had an additional 3" in my main wall than we thought (due to the way the HVAC chase was framed), and I realized almost immediately that I could change the peninsula to an island! Hooray! The island will be almost exactly the same as the peninsula- 87" long, with my Shaws in the middle. My back wall has a 7 1/2' run that I can either center the 30" range on (with 36" counters on each side), or 48" counter, then the range, then 24" counter. The second one is how I have it currently laid out. Now knowing that you have 48" counters, I think I will leave it with it not centered, to give me a longer counter run. Although I really like the idea of having it centered, I think that a 48" run will probably be more useful in the end.

We are also doing 27" deep counters on that wall! I am glad to know that it has made a big difference in your space! Are your wall cabs 15" deep? Does the 19" space make a big difference as well? We had been planning on 18".

• trish21
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Altagirl. No I haven't had any problems with the Shaw's and splashing with Perrin and Rowe faucet. I'm still very pleased with both choices. Just be careful with the finish if you went with polished nickel. Barkeeper's friend will damage the finish if it splatters on the faucet.

Amberley- How wide is the island? That's a great size island length and with the long wall behind it sounds like it will be a wonderful space. My cabinets are actually only 13". We went with 19" counter to cabinet distance after a discussion with our architect. I think you have to consider your height and if you can easily reach at least the first two shelves. I was really looking to make the counters as user friendly as possible and the extra depth and height help make it a useful work space for us. My old kitchen was very difficult to work in because all counters had upper cabinets and they were low with standard depth counters. It did not feel like there was much space to work comfortably. I do think 'standard' is 18 from the counter though. Also, my cabinets go all the way to the ceiling so I was willing to lose that inch.

• amberley
    14 years ago

I am short, but most of the things I am storing in the uppers are not as often used, with the exception of the bottom shelf. I think I will take them up to 19' if we have room to do 39" uppers plus my crown.

My island will be 42" wide- we have a little flex with that, and may have to shave off an inch if my aisle between the island and the dining room table seems too wide. I will know next Monday when the cabinet boxes are installed.

My old kitchen was also very tight on counter space- sounds similar to what you described.

If you get a chance sometime in the next week, would you be able to post a pic of the underside of your Shaws showing how it is supported?

Thanks for your quick responses- you've been very helpful!

Amy

• jeri
    14 years ago

I'm bumping this for Lynn and others. :-)

• jcasola5
    13 years ago

This Kitchen is stunning, and has many similarities to what we are currently planning. Would you please share your experiences so far with the marble counters and backsplash? Are they honed or polished, and do you have any regrets or anything you'd do differently? Thx very much.

• Jennifer Qu
    8 years ago

Your kitchen is beautiful. Question so now you are 6 years into your kitchen. Does the marble still look great? We are renovating our entire house. We really want to use Marble but I'm a little scared of staining and the like. We have 2 young kids and my husband is Chinese so we do heavy cooking. We will obviously clean up when have spills but I am little worried about durability. Any thoughts?

• trish21
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Jennifer.

Thanks so much. Our marble has held up beautifully. It is honed, not polished which certainly helps. I have had it professionally sanded and sealed once (and probably should seal it more often). I don't see many/any etch marks on it, but when I do see one I have found a fine scouring pad that buffs the mark out. I have had a few small stains and found that a little bit of soft scrub will take it right out.

The only place in the kitchen where there is a slight issue is behind my range where the marble has yellowed a bit from the heat or steam. At first, I would religiously clean that area because it bothered me so much. Six years on, the color has mellowed into the marble a bit and it doesn't bother me at all. I will add that we are not careless cooks. If we use anything acidic we are very careful. I have large cutting boards that we use for all food prep. If there are spills, we clean them up right away. I have no regrets and have raised two boys from age 9/12 to 15/18 with the marble.

I have no regrets and still love it. If I did it over again I would use the same marble, but I would probably do something different behind my range. My kitchen cabinets are about ready for a touch-up, but the marble looks great!

Best of luck!

• cpartist
    8 years ago

Trish, 6 years later and your kitchen looks like it was just designed. Shows how it stands the test of time to keep things classic. Beautiful.

Since I see you're still answering questions, my question is about the width of your window jambs on your older windows. Thanks in advance.

• Lisa
    8 years ago

Somehow I have never seen this reveal. Wow! My jaw is on the floor. It is absolutely gorgeous. That eating area is to die for with those gorgeous Windows and back door. And that marble......

• trish21
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you so much chartist and lckaigir, your comments are very kind. Cpartist- the width of the jamb on the older window is 1/4" (if i'm measuring the right thing).

• cpartist
    8 years ago

Thank you trish. However I meant the area I marked in red. :) I am building a new craftsman and want to get the details correct.

• trish21
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Ha. I knew I didn't know what a jam was. 4.5". Sorry!

• cpartist
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Thank you!! I was afraid of that. I specified 4" jambs and now think they'll be too narrow. Sigh