Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
akl_vdb

Door front styles

akl_vdb
10 years ago

Looking at going with this style in an off white painted maple. Classic? Will it look weird in 10 years? Help, please :) Thanks.

Here is a link that might be useful: pearson kitchen craft door style

Comments (13)

• mark_rachel
    10 years ago

I don't know if I would say "classic", but I think it's a pretty safe choice for several years to come. It will also depend on the type of pulls you use.

• Gracie
    10 years ago

Are you referring to the wider stiles and rails? I have seen that described as being a bit more contemporary.

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A bit wider, with the 'groove joints'. I'm not crazy about the pulls they have there, would be simpler. But do want a bit of a different door, simple with a twist.

• CEFreeman
    10 years ago

Kidding, right?
    Another white, Shaker style kitchen? (Wider rails and stiles are considered "Cottage.")
    1) It's proved to be a style that will never die. E.V.E.R.
    2) It seems to be replacing the espresso maple again in the mags. Lightening up, gratefully.
    3) Been done? Yup.
    4) Clean and neat? Yup.
    5) You could probably call it classic, actually, given it's found from the 1800s through it's intense revival in the last 20 years.
    6) Weird? In what way? What's weird about an extremely commonly found kitchen?
    7) 20 years? It'll be back in style just like the mini skirt, big hair and leg warmers. Maybe shoulder pads. Read; 1920s -> 30s, then in the 80s-> early 90s.

See what I mean, bean?

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

CEFreeman, I wasn't kidding :( Just the grove joints were different, and I wanted something a bit different. I know white shaker style is popular here, but in my 'hood, they really aren't done!

I went looking at show homes, and it's all one panel modernish bamboo looking stuff. And those are in the 700 K houses! Or stained wood.

Thanks for the reassurance!

Are they country looking??

• rhome410
    10 years ago

The kitchen in the photo is not at all country looking. I think it'll be accessories, backsplash, and hardware that lean these cabs toward the overall style. Could be contemporary, cottage, arts and crafts, Shaker, transitional...

These are clean-lined and don't really shout anything by themselves. Nice.

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you rhome410. I'll be pairing them with this...

This post was edited by aklvdb on Thu, Mar 6, 14 at 16:37

• rhome410
    10 years ago

Elegant! I like the clean lines of the cabinets in contrast to the busier patterned granite.

• CEFreeman
    10 years ago

That's the element that makes them "classic."
    You can change their tone with a mere change of accessories, paint, curtains, etc.

I like your choice of a dark floor. IMHO, a darker floor makes the look a little more formal than a country kitchen. Also provides a really nice contrast.

So, what you're saying is that you'll be the 1st in your .. hood and have a kitchen that's not cookie-cutter. You'll look like the pictures in a beautiful kitchen magazine.

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you! It's so different that what we had (light maple cabs, light ash floor, it all blended together), so I'm hoping we're making the right choices!

• ardcp
    10 years ago

i am not sure if other people are seeing the grooves you are talking about because the black stain and white cabs don't really show the grooves. i clicked on the pearson door link and the grooves were obvious in the lighter wood.
    if you like the grooves, go for it. it is a simple shaker type door that will look great in ten years especially if your style and house runs to the clean simple shaker ideals. i can't imagine anyone would dislike the doors because of the grooves and again they aRe not obvious in the white or black cabs in the pic so it will depend on the wood type.

• tbo123
    10 years ago

The "grooves" are common on Ikea cabinets if that makes a difference. I think that they may take away from the "classic-ness" a bit. It is sort of a good idea maybe in that the grooves may tend to camouflage any cracking at the joints. Either that or the makers don't trust their finishing talents.

Ikea also uses wider stiles and rails.

Maybe that is an Ikea Kitchen.

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's Kitchen Craft. They are local to us. They do have a plain shaker 'salem' and a little more ornate one 'lexington'. I was hoping to avoid some of the cracks if possible, and my DH likes the Pearson. I would be inclined to go the Lexington, but we have one similar to that now, but with a raised centre panel.

Here's a link I found on GW, this is the colour we're getting. This is nice too! I don't know!

Here is a link that might be useful: Lexington seashell on GW kitchen. I do love this too!!