Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joyjoyjoy_gw

Help! Cabinet guy is coming tomorrow and I've gotta make changes!

joyjoyjoy
13 years ago

Okay.. I posted about my black dishwasher woes on the appliance boards. (I've linked it below) and it evolved into a "you've really gotta fix that layout thread". And they are right, so I am back. Take a look at that thread for the before pictures.. There were all kinds of reasons that led me to that layout, but for the most part, I decided I really didnt want any of the typical corner options for storage.. they seemed like a waste to me. I also really wanted to incorporate a farm sink, and didnt see that happening in any other spot given all of the constraints - corners, dishwasher, windows, etc.

I have decided that having a well functioning kitchen is a priority over a farm sink. Here's a newer version, and I'm hoping I can put the Kohler Stages 45" sink in this setup with the "sink" part centered in the 36 inch cabinet, and the drainboard part, over the blind corner. I could do the smaller stages, or a regular double bowl sink, but with one sink, would really like it to function as more than just one big opening.

My #1 priority is the seating area, #2 is not having cleanup area/dirty dishes in between where I prep and cook. Other than that, I just want everything to flow and function as smoothly as possible. And be pretty.

Thanks everyone!

{{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Original thread.

Comments (25)

• pinch_me
    13 years ago

Can he hold off a week? You really need the time.

• joyjoyjoy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

oh no, is it that bad??

• weissman
    13 years ago

joyjoyjoy - I've been following your thread on the appliance forum. I agree with pinch_me - you should slow down and get it right. It's not that it's "that bad". It's just that if you going to change your layout at the 11th hour, you need to analyze it rationally - not just get it done because the guy is coming tomorrow. You'll get good advice here, but give people time to look at your layout and evaluate it.

• lascatx
    13 years ago

Pinch_me and Weissman are right -- it's not that bad -- and is MUCH better right now than what you were working with before, but you've got to have some time to let any design gel and to think about how it will work -- what you might want to tweak.

This is the direction I was thinking -- and you could have an apron front sink and a prep sink. If you place the drain and plumbing carefully, you can still get some good use of that corner cabinet that opens to the breakfast room.

• lascatx
    13 years ago

That didn't work, even after I looked up the directions again. Try the link below -- I can do that.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• joyjoyjoy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone. I'll call him in the morning to let him know my plan is changing a bit and I dont have it completely tweaked, and see if he still wants to come by. He already gave us a quote based on the other layout, and wants to come measure and go over some decisions. .. hinges, glides, finish etc. so I am guessing he may want to still meet since those things wont change.

• joyjoyjoy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

lascatz .. thank you for your ideas. I don't think I'll need the second sink if I can keep the dirty dishes out of the prep area ... which I can do with this set up. I see my main prep area now becoming the stretch of counter between sink and oven, and the peninsula would be secondary prep.

I think I am going to forgo the farm sink. I think a 24 would be too small if it was the only sink, and a 36 would take it all the way into the corner, and I dont care for the look of that. I was looking into the Ikea apron front sinks for the price point. The sinks I like in the 30-33 inch range are all extremely expensive. More than the Kohler Stages, which I think I would love. I do lots of veggie chopping, cooking from fresh, we can & freeze from our garden in the summer, etc.

I did some reading and have seen people modify the cabinets to work like I am showing, with the sink par over the 36 sink base, and some of the cabinet side is carved out to allow room for the drainboard portion.

• lascatx
    13 years ago

But you do know that you can get a 27 or 30 inch farm sink, right? The 30 inch is probably the most popular size and plenty big for a single bowl. And I saw some on Overstock -- they come in all price ranges, but especially if you undermount a sink, it's worth making sure you get a good one.

The Stages sink is cool, but no way I could give up that much space for one in my kitchen. I think most folks like them, but I may remember someone saying they didn't realize they would lose so much space -- which may not matter if you plan on killing that corner.

I do like that you have two decent sized prep areas. I don't think a kitchen the size of yours requires 2 sinks, and it could take away valuable space that you'd like to use a different way. I plopped a second one in there for consideration -- and in case you would use it for beverage service to the breakfast room or entertaining from the peninsula. Make sure you are including an overhang in your dimensions if you want seating there.

• joyjoyjoy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for your input. I have been fiddling around with my software and I really think I'd prefer under mount in that spot. I haven't ruled it out the farm sink, but I'd really like a double bowl double bowl, or single bowl with a drainboard and those are all 33+ in the farm sinks. I like the Stages because of the chopping board, trays etc.. and am looking into some other sinks with similar accessories. I am considering the smaller Stages sink too, I just can see that large area being so helpful when we are canning. And losing that corner, may not be such a bad thing, since I can see it becoming a place for clutter otherwise.

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

I like the stages sink, but it seems like a lot of the hype comes from the accessories. Those little bowls can certainly be bought cheaper than that. Not knocking it, just don't want you to be dazzled by the glitter.

• pudgybaby
    13 years ago

Where will your dishes be stored? Are you going to put a wall cabinet above your sink?

• joyjoyjoy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here's a pic with uppers. I'm having my cabinet guy make an "antique" looking cabinet for my dishes. I will likely center this on the wall where the sink is and leave the other wall of that corner empty. But I've also seen pics of opens shelving that I kind of like that could go there... I don't want it to look packed full of cabinets so I know I dont want traditional uppers in that area.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

This is the cabinet that will go over the sink.. either centered between the corner and the window, or slid over all the way (or almost all the way) to the window and then have some kind of open shelving on the other wall into the corner. I want a little of the unfitted look. The lower picture is kind of what i have in mind except it will continue out of the corner over to the other window. Does that make sense??
    {{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• joyjoyjoy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Okay... I'm trying to decide on sink size. I can see pros and cons to all sizes, and setups so I want to get a feel for what looks better... what gives a little more balance to an unbalanced corner. I have exactly 7 feet from the edge of the window to the corner. I can afford to go 1 or 2 inches past the window, and still allow enough clearance for the pullout broom and pantry doors. If I did less than 7 feet of total length the cabinets wouldnt reach the end of the window, and would look odd. I don't have enough room to stop before the window.
    Here are my scenarios:
    Top LEFT: 12" for a ? cabinet, 24" dishwasher, 24" sink.
    Top Right: dishwasher, 24" sink, 36" lazy susan corner
    Bottom Left: Dishwasher, 36" sink, blind corner cabinet
    Bottom Right: 6" cabinet for ??, 24" dishwasher, 30" sink, blind corner cabinet

I've already decided I'll go with an undermount sink, so keep that in mind, and I put the upper cabinet and open shelving going back into the corner (my inspiration photos are on the post above) but that can be changed if it helps balance things out.

{{!gwi}}

• lascatx
    13 years ago

Would putting the sink on the end under the window push the limits of clean up and prep running together or would that corner give you enough definition to divide the areas? You could easily fit a 30" sink there.

Have you ever used a single bowl sink? I think I did a long time ago, but I'd forgotten about it and DH had not. He wasn't too sure he wanted a single bowl, but now that we've had one, he says he never wants a double bowl again. You can really stack those dirty dishes into one rather than letting them pile up on the counter. Sounds like that might appeal to you.

Have you seen runnels cut into the counter rather than a drainboard?

• joyjoyjoy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Funny.. i was just looking into this! Way back in the beginning I had ruled out that option because I didnt want a farm sink on the end. I need a couple of inches in the corner for the dishwasher - so it doesnt hit the knobs on the other doors. I am coming around to the single basin option. I had one in college but our kitchen was tiny, and no dishwasher so the little bit of countertop we had was either full of dirty or drying dishes. I dont think that would be too much of a problem now. I'll look into the runnels.. I am 90% sure I'm going with Richlite, and I think I can do that..

Thanks!

• joyjoyjoy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Okay I realizing again now why that doesnt work so hot. Its difficult to balance having enough clearance for the dishwasher door to open and center the sink with the window. I don't mind it not being under the window, or even partially under the window, but I definitely dont want it just slightly off, like we made a mistake. Also with the dishwasher opening there, it is hard to reach the spots where we put away the majority of our dishes (yellow cabinet).

Thanks though!! I appreciate your help!

• ironcook
    13 years ago

hi joyjoyjoy...

this is just a thought, but did you try swapping that upper cabinet over the sink with the open shelves? the shelves could be in an L-shape if needed.

i'm not sure if it calling attention to the sink being off-center or not.

you can also try offsetting the faucet to line up with the center of the cabinet. (i may be doing this, too.)

• joyjoyjoy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The wall length on the other side of the corner is about a foot less. I could put the cabinet there, but it would need to be narrower to make room for shelves. The cabinet isnt made yet, so I can always change it up or omit it..

Here are a few more variations.. I think adding the backsplash tile on the wall to the left will help balance it all out. The white shade will be similar to the cabinets.

• joyjoyjoy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Woops. Forgot the picture..

top left - moved faucet to be centered with yellow cabinet
    top right - moved yellow cab to other wall and removed shelves
    bottom left - added L shaped open shelves to fill that corner
    bottom right - centered yellow cab on wall and removed shelves

{{!gwi}}

• ironcook
    13 years ago

my feeling from before was that everything was crowded up against the sink window. by moving the faucet to center on the upper cabinet helped a lot (first picture), at least for me.

i think the one with all shelves is visually crowding the windows again, especially combined with the faucet placement. just me, though.

what do you think?

(you may want to flip the faucet to point toward the sink when it's off-center.) :)

• ironcook
    13 years ago

oh! but that off-center placement may be a bother if anyone in your house is left-handed.

• ironcook
    13 years ago

ugh, i just read your old thread... you ARE left-handed!!!

so sorry. i should have read it before opening my mouth. :(

• joyjoyjoy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

dh and both boys are lefties!! :)I'm sure that the corner of the coutnertop will be home to my kitchen-aid, canisters etc.. so it wont be completely bare there so that might help balance the faucet. I think I like the yellow cabinet centered on the wall, and no shelves.

• ironcook
    13 years ago

I think I like the yellow cabinet centered on the wall, and no shelves.

that has a nice, open look. that yellow cabinet will be really nice.

amazing... a left-handed family! :)

did you choose a sink size yet?

how are you feeling about the rest of the layout?

maybe you'll have to have a kitchen rule that dirty dishes can only go on top of the dishwasher or in the sink... not in any prep area! lascatx pointed out (in the other thread) that then you have two potential prep areas on either side of the range.

my kitchen has two prep "spaces" so hopefully dh and i won't be in each other's way. i am going to attempt to have dirty dishes only "allowed" over the dishwasher, too. good in theory, at least! ;)

i hope you're feeling good about the layout now.

• joyjoyjoy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I think I'm going to be very happy with this layout. I might consider moving the stove to the right a bit.. if I'm not prepping on the peninsula, it might be helpful to move it away from the window a bit.

I'm gonna do a 36 inch sink cabinet. And I think I can squeeze the 33 inch Stages sink in there.. I've looked at a bazillion sinks, and I think that one will really serve us well.

Thanks for all your input!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!