Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chris11895

Built-in Hutch Ideas/Photos?

chris11895
14 years ago

We have room for a built-in right off of our kitchen. The space is about 6' wide and I'm trying to have a mix of function and display. I'm thinking of maybe doing some pantry storage, drawers, a plate rack and the top part having glass doors to display items. If anyone has done something similar, please post your pictures or ideas. I'd love to see them!

Comments (25)

• willowdecor
    14 years ago

I had a room similar in size and I built in an old fashioned butler's pantry. Here is the link for the before and afters:

Here is a link that might be useful: Pantry

• segbrown
    14 years ago

Ours is either 5 or 6 ft wide (can't remember).

Drawers hold flatware and napkins etc, cabinets hold trays and have pull-out shelves on bottom for holiday china and linens.

• willowdecor
    14 years ago

segbrown- that is stunning!! I absolutely love it!!
    xx-Willow

• rjr220
    14 years ago

Segbrown -- how deep are your base cabinets, and how tall are your uppers? In the plan for my built in hutch, I have 4 doors that are 42 inches tall, and I'm worried that they're going to be too tall appearing.

• allison0704
    14 years ago

I have two hutches - one in the kitchen (approx 6ft) , and one in the hallway between kitchen and laundry room. That one is 5ft wide.

Here is a link that might be useful: scroll down to see the hutches

• chris11895
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Gorgeous pics! And I have totally stalked your pantry willow!!

• cali_wendy
    14 years ago

Allison...wow! More drooling. Just beautiful!

• segbrown
    14 years ago

rjr, the uppers are 36 in. with 6 in. crown above. They are 12 in. deep. The bottom cabinets are 24 in. deep. Whole thing is 63 in. wide.

I also have a pine hutch with a microwave in the top doors and a set of fridge/freezer drawers in bottom (I need a new photo, since we've painted over the white vent):

• Susied3
    14 years ago

Segbrown, do you mind sharing the color of your gray hutch? Thanks!

• segbrown
    14 years ago

It's Benj Moore Taos Taupe.

• marcy96
    14 years ago

Here's mine:
    {{!gwi}}

• lisa_a
    14 years ago

Apologies for my temporary hijack....

Marcy, what color are your cabinets painted? I looked for your kit*chen in the FKB but didn't see it and I'd like to see more of you inviting space, please.

(The * is in the word above to turn off that blasted intelli-ad crap).

• boxerpups
    14 years ago

Wow I love all the cabinets above.
    Marcy96 that stone with the wood is a perfect match.
    Segbrown, gorgeously done. I love the cooler too.

Here are a few more to add to your ideas.

~boxer

JEM Cabinets

Charles Lantz Cabinetry

Creative Custom Kitchens

Devos Woodworking

Holden Construction

HD Woodworking

• lyno
    14 years ago

Loving this thread! All of these are just gorgeous! I hope more get posted!

• lyno
    14 years ago

Segbrown - do you have finished kitchen pictures somewhere? I love both your hutches and the countertop surfaces on both. I wonder if you would share what type of marble is on the first hutch? Sorry OP, but I just had to ask a question; I apoligize for the mini hijack!

• country_smile
    14 years ago

Nice hutches! Mine is in the thread below from Dec. 09 during GW's tech. issues week. It is less elaborate than many of these which was by design since it is in an old farmhouse.

Here is a link that might be useful: old GW thread of hutches

• segbrown
    14 years ago

Lyno, they are here. The marble is calacatta gold.

Here is a link that might be useful: finished kitchen

• marcy96
    14 years ago

Lisa, I haven't posted my kitchen in the FCB yet. I have a few more things to get done. But here's the link to my kitchen album. My cabinets are Schuler/Medallion Oyster Vintage painted, and the brown are Rustic Maple Chestnut stained. If you have any other questions, feel few to email me! Everyone else, all your built-in's are beautiful!

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen photos

• lisa_a
    14 years ago

Thanks, Marcy! My plan is to paint the cabinets in a deep cream, similar to what you've chosen with the wall color the same or a shade darker. Nice to see my idea in reality in your kitchen. ;-) I look forward to seeing it finished (as I'm sure you do, too!).

• marcy96
    14 years ago

Lisa, it sounds lovely! My wall color, fyi, is BM Oat Straw. Best of luck and I look forward to seeing your progress!

• mailfox7
    14 years ago

This hutch was built into my kitchen. I have a hutch in my adjacent dining room also, but not built-in, is a piece of furniture.

• chris11895
    Original Author
    14 years ago

All of these pictures have been so helpful - thank you to everyone!!!

• timcar
    12 years ago

@la_jan I love your hutch, I was wondering if you can give me the dimensions, especially the width.

• Rose MacDougall
    4 years ago

I need some advice. I have a 9 ft ceiling. What is the standard height for a tower with crown moulding go up from the ceiling? The cabinet is sitting on the counter? How high should the Tower go up on a 9 foot ceiling.?
    This in looks dwarf to me. HELP!!!
    The left pic is the extra height I’m thinking which the crown moulding is right at bar on my lighting. The right picture is the one I think is too short it I’m not sure.