Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
robotropolis

Help pull mood board together? Quirky modern inspiration?

robo (z6a)
11 years ago

While I'm waiting for contractor and countertop quotes, trying to think of how I can make my new kitchen special and fun, on limited budget, without it seeming disorganized and crazypants. Also without me being too timid.

I put together some elements I could incorporate in the photo below.

How would I pull these into a mood board?
What would you chop out or change?

I didn't put any cab styles in yet. Easiest choice is white shaker from local cabinet maker. His slab fronts are a bit rounded on the front. He has some paint colors and variety of wood. About = price to IKEA, advantage is local (nearest IKEA is 1200km away)

Thoughts

1. I love color, DH loves utilitarian look.
2. Semi-traditional house (weirdly renovated in 90s, let's just say the honey oak didn't stop in the kitchen).
3. Limited budget, existing SS appliances.
4. Fervent non-diyers but understanding contractor.
5. Maple floor in adjoining rooms.
6. Resale value not top nor bottom of list. House has appreciated a lot already in two years. Plan to stay 10 years.
7. Giant painting in dining room stays.
8. The tile on top I already have, was thinking of behind stove. I do love it.

I did have one interior design consultation, did not go well. Any wall or accent color other than grey was very tacky to this lady.

This post was edited by robotropolis on Thu, Feb 14, 13 at 16:29

Comments (9)

• cawaps
    11 years ago

I think you already have a pretty good mood board, and it's not crazypants. I love the Moroccan tile, and think it would look great juxtaposed with a stainless counter.

What style is your house? I am thinking slab rather than Shaker, but to a large extent that decision should be driven by the style of your house.

• marcolo
    11 years ago

You need some blue lower cabs.

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

cawaps, thank you for your reply! I worry about trying to toss everything in and not coming out with something coherent on the other end.

The house is a little something I'll call "postwar fake traditional"

View LR to Dining

View dining to LR (new kitchen behind pocket doors, pocket door remove/reuse, wall down)

Don't worry, there's lots of honey oak out of sight!

marcolo, thanks for your reply as well. I am actually so happy you said that. I've been looking at this picture all day, trying to determine if it could still look classy with cheaper cabs, no marble, lower ceiling, etc. etc.

Not even sure how this would work but I like it

Future oceanview butler's pantry (after I get that brain surgeon job)

This post was edited by robotropolis on Thu, Feb 14, 13 at 20:09

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Love the look of this kitchen. Do you think short doors with overlay cabinets make it look like the cabinet's wearing short pants? It's a tempting idea for my dish cupboard.

Maybe a shorter cab completely with shelf under would look better.

[Eclectic Kitchen design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/eclectic-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2104) by Raleigh Media And Blogs Home & Harmony

• Iowacommute
    11 years ago

I second the blue lower cabs.

I don't think the short doors look squatty. I was actually thinking about doing the cabs with a shelf underneath for my everyday used items, but I really love the first pic with the sort of built in shelf on bottom of the cabs.

You may have hidden the golden oak, but I really like the spaces you posted of your house.

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks so much IowaCommute! Thanks for the compliment on the house too!

I have 16 orange-stained pine doors/jambs left to paint (have done 3, what a pain in the rear). Then there's the orange stained window sills, knotty pine panelling in rec room, entire kitchen of honey oak (to be reused for utility), two vanities, gargantuan medicine cabinet, and stairs of same, all lovingly installed, then indifferently stained and varnished by PO in this strange orange. Why? Don't get me started on the builder basic shiny brass.

The whole blue thing might really work out because I've been contemplating my stairs (did I mention golden oak galore) and have been considering trying to stencil the risers. Stairs are right beside dining, so could carry a theme and color from kitchen.

Also live in a port city so people really like their nautical crud around here. Strong blue would be a popular choice.

• bellsmom
    11 years ago

Here's a recent thread on navy blue cabs with lots of pics. The starting point is also a colorful backsplash tile.

Here is a link that might be useful: Navy Blue Cabs?

• User
    11 years ago

If you have a cabinet maker that can do it, I think slab doors would work better with your vibe. And they'd still work with the home as you've transformed it. Except maybe that fireplace. But I think even that could work if you used more of the pretty patterned tile around the firebox.

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Bellsmom, thanks so much. You're so helpful with visualizing.I'm on a real black lower cab kick right now too so seeing all those deep navy cabs is giving me ideas.

LWO....I love. Love. Wood slab doors. Painted slab...not sure. I haven't seen a lot of examples really. Not without a high gloss lacquer which is probably beyond me. Could do abstrakt green from ikea, which we would both enjoy. For the more matte doors I'm really drawn to a narrower stile shaker type.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations