Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xand83

Tiling Question- What Would You Do?

xand83
10 years ago

Giving the kitchen a little facelift. Tiled the sink wall yesterday and now it's time for the range wall (and tiny wall to the left of range). Would you:

A- Take the tile up to the range hood (about 32")

or

B- Leave the tile at current height (about 18") and take it all around the other 2 walls.

I don't want to darken the kitchen too much, so I'm leaning on keeping one line of tile across the kitchen. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Comments (14)

• StoneTech
    10 years ago

I would bring the tile around to the lower cabinets and have it "die" into the window, or simply "wrap" the tile inwards to the window shelf. From there, I would bring it up to just under the hood and stop it at the left wall.

Alternatively, you could bring the tile up on the right cabinet to the same level as the hood on the left. Use trim pieces on the horizontal to give it all a "finished" look.

• xand83
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks StoneTech. My plan for now is to continue the line. And if it look weird, then take it up to the range hood. I didn't think of wrapping the window shelf. That would have looked good!

And I'm using the Schluter Jolly trim. Hate cutting it, but it looks nice.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

I like ST's idea to keep right and left sides of the window the same and to the hood height. You might also run it all cab height to the end of the counter and then put a stainless splash over the range.

• Gracie
    10 years ago

Is that a diagonal cabinet next to the window? That's what's throwing it off--they aren't meant to end a run. Remove it and move the other cabs down to the corner. The wall cabs are too close to the other window anyway.

• fishymom
    10 years ago

I think it would like nice to wrap the tile around the window at the same height as the hood also. And I love your backsplash, can you tell me the manufacturer?

• fishymom
    10 years ago

I think it would like nice to wrap the tile around the window at the same height as the hood also. And I love your backsplash, can you tell me the manufacturer?

• cookncarpenter
    10 years ago

I would keep it at the bottom of uppers around the window to the end of the counter. Then have a stainless back guard made, perhaps with a shelf, and take it up to the same height as the tile, or even a little higher. I think this would help tie the hood better to the range, rather than it seeming to float on the wall above.

• User
    10 years ago

You're getting suggestions all over the place. Pick a couple of layouts that you like and mock each of them up with that green paint you have. Using the paint against the while background will give you the best idea of how it is going to look.

My thought is to keep the tile at the same height everywhere to reduce visual clutter in your small space. It will keep your eye moving instead of stopping it at every height change. Then do as suggested above with the stainless backsplash from the top of the tile to the bottom of the hood. Keep is simple and functional.

• Bunny
    10 years ago

Are you going to put anything on that little wall to the left of the stove? I mean, it's right next to it and I don't see how you're gonna avoid grease and stuff from landing on the wall. Offhand I can't think of what to do, given that you're still deciding about the rest of your b/s, but I'd want something besides wall right there.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

xand83:

I have some very bad news. I'm certain that if you review your range manufacturer's installation instructions, you have created a fire hazard. You are much too close to the wall and installing non-combustable tile doesn't get you a free pass.

If you rip out the wood framing and substitute steel then tile, you'll be fine. Check with the National Fire Protection Association; you may get by with stainless mounted on noncombustible spacers which creates an air wash chimney effect. You really need a cabinet between the wall and range. Good luck.

This post was edited by Trebruchet on Mon, Feb 17, 14 at 22:08

• xand83
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for your help, everyone! I only had a few hours to tile today, but decided to continue one horizontal line across the 3 walls. Before today the plan was to tile up to the range hood, but we feared it would close the kitchen in a bit. If it looks awkward, I can add a few rows pretty easily.

I like the idea about better tying in the range hood with a shelf or piece of stainless steel. That might work well. There will be about 14" extra inches of painted wall between the tile & hood. Maybe just a shelf?

@may_flowers- Whoa! Just a little face-lift. We're not moving around cabinets. Really, just paint, back splash, and a few new appliances for now. No fan of the cabinets, but they are what they are.

@fishymom-The tile is allen + roth 4x12" in the pearl finish. Looks nice installed, but lots of superficial scratches on the tile surface. Frustrating, but the price was pretty great. And the scratches don't show in this installation. Only when in direct sunlight.

@Trebruchet- Thanks for the advice. You noted the same back in October when I posted some pics of the kitchen. It's laid out the way it's laid out. We certainly don't love it, but the layout will have to wait for a full kitchen re-do. There is about 3" between the burners and the side wall.

I posted the link of before pics from back in October.

Pics of today's progress. Don't pick apart my tiling please! Just an average DIYer! :D

Here is a link that might be useful: October Advice Thread

• xand83
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So, tiling is finished! I wish I had asked for input sooner as I was already cutting the tile trim by the time responses came in. But I ended up keeping the tile all at one level.

I think it was for the best. It gives the kitchen a cleaner, less busy look. Not sure about the shelf now, I need to let that marinate a bit. This kitchen refresh is almost finished. Still have some sanding/painting to do and toe kick to paint. Yay!

Also, we'll be on House Hunters on Tuesday night. So, if you're interested, you can see just how bland the kitchen was before the refresh :)

• gr8daygw
    10 years ago

Wow! Looks great and so nice that you can do your own tiling so you can sort of fool around with what you want to do and take your time. It looks really nice. You could put a stainless sheet under the hood if you had any inclination. I love your hood and have been admiring one like that for my kitchen for a couple of years. Beautiful job, it really looks great.

• xand83
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks @gr8day! A piece of stainless steel is a good idea. Just unsure how much more "stuff" we need on that side of the window. The hood was a good deal from Amazon. I believe it was a Z-line & it was pretty easy to install.