Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
redroze_gw

Getting ready for fkb - Do you like our pendants on or off?

redroze
15 years ago

So I've been putting together a blog (of sorts) for my final kitchen photos - I'm VERY excited! We're just waiting on our kitchen table, chairs and office chair to come...and our drapes to be rehemmed because they came in too short...then we're doneso!

DH says our photos look better with the pendant lights off. I say they look way better on. What do you think? He told me to post here so don't worry about offending. =)

On:

Off:

Comments (37)

• sergeantcuff
    15 years ago

On (way better). Your lights are fantastic! Show them off.

• shelly_k
    15 years ago

ON, definitely!

• ccoombs1
    15 years ago

yep....leave them on. they are gorgeous!!

• silversword
    15 years ago

on! they "light up" the picture!

• morton5
    15 years ago

On.

I'm impressed your husband cares about these things. It took my husband two months to realize I had removed pendants above our island with the remodel.

• leanne123
    15 years ago

Definitely ON -- I can hardly wait to see your kitchen in FKB.

• redroze
    Original Author
    15 years ago

He's a sweetheart, he definitely cares and his opinion is important to me. But he also openly invites feedback and suggested I post here. Is it unanimous for on then??

• evilbunnie
    15 years ago

Unanimous for on! Great job!

• gr82bgrammy
    15 years ago

My vote is on also. The pendants, as well as your entire kitchen, is beautiful!

• redroze
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Poor DH...

Anyway, we joke that he's more good with the technical details (i.e. Redroze didn't calculate the backsplash requirements correctly so we needed to wait 2 months to get in the right amount), and that I'm better with the design choices (i.e. He randomly picked out a hardware sample using his "gut instinct" and our professional but honest GC said "that is BUTT UGLY"). So it evens out.

Well, I can't wait to show our finished kitchen to all of you. I'm anxious and nervous and happy...I can't believe I'm finally at this point!

• rmkitchen
    15 years ago

Me too -- on.

The reason I prefer them on is because when they're off they become almost invisible, and when they're on they're visible and the reason(s) you chose these pendants (they are so darn pretty!) is clear. I think they're an important element in your kitchen, and while in real life you may not need the lights on for them to sparkle (so to speak), in photographs I think you do.

I am so excited for you! Congratulations Friend!

• amck2
    15 years ago

On - for the reasons rmkitchen said above. Beautiful kitchen!

• madaboutkitchens_gw
    15 years ago

Lights on! Those are gorgeous lanterns. And, what are your wall and cabinet colors? Beautiful combo...

• tetrazzini
    15 years ago

I didn't read any other opinions before I looked at both pictures and decided I liked them better on. Funny, I thought it was a subtle difference, but we all seem to be in agreement. The kitchen looks a little "colder" with them off, I think.

• acountryfarm
    15 years ago

On for sure !!
    Your kitchen.... I still say stunning !!!!

• rnest44
    15 years ago

As if you need it...another vote for ON. Can't wait to see the final blog.

• pluckymama
    15 years ago

Redroze, I'm so excited to see your finished kitchen. One of my favorites! On or off your kitchen is gorgeous. Why don't you post pics both ways? Just make sure there's lots of pics and lots of details!

• lyno
    15 years ago

Definately on. You might include a close up of one of the lights while they're off so that people can get a good look at the lights. Your kitchen is very pretty. I love all your natural light, too.

• megradek
    15 years ago

On, baby, on :) can't wait to see your finished pics!!!

• pdxgal
    15 years ago

Ahh Redroze, there are both the lights. I had asked you not to long ago if you only had one lantern over your island (the other was not showing in a picture you posted on a different thread). The lights and kitchen look FABULOUS!!!! My style of kitchen. I still wish my island was big enough to do something like that.

Definitely have the lights on in the picture. Shows them off better.

• krissd
    15 years ago

Please make sure you post pics of your adjoining family room - loved the sectional posted before. I have a similar sized room, and I can't wait to see how you have it decked out and how it ties in with your beautiful new kitchen! Gorgeous kitchen. Very happy for you.

• marlene_2007
    15 years ago

I love looking at your beautiful kitchen! Congratulations to you and DH. You are a real sweetie!

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

I"m glad you decided "on". I'm certain your DH had much influential input on your totally beautiful kitchen. Congrats!

• arleneb
    15 years ago

Yup . . . on . . . but I agree with lyno that it would be nice to see a close-up of them off. They're still just drop-dead gorgeous, on or off!

Arlene

• kateskouros
    15 years ago

on! congratulations! it looks so beautiful. did you give us info? how big is your island? more pics!!

• cat_mom
    15 years ago

On--that picture looks "warmer." (LOVE how it's all turning out!!!)

• redroze
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh wow, all these responses are great and much appreciated!!! I am DYING to post all the photos, but will wait until the rest of the stuff comes in. I promise, only a few weeks more.

Okay, I will take Lyno and Hostagram's suggestions to do a close-up of the lights off so you can see them in detail.

And yes, Remodelfla, DH was an equal partner in how our kitchen turned out. Detail-oriented and smart like you could not believe, and my best friend. We have these mini competitions about whose design way is "right" but we try to do it in good spirits. =)

Just to answer the few questions that have come up, because it would be wrong not to answer them now, and I'm so flattered that I'm getting any questions!! For those who didn't ask questions and just commented, a sincere *thank you*.

Madaboutkitchens - My cabinets are BM Chantilly Lace, wall colour is BM Natural Cream.

Egganddart - I know what you mean about the coldness. My kitchen photos are either turning out too warm or too cold - I can't quite capture the right sunlight to get the colours just right. Got a few more weeks to get it right!!

Pluckymama - You're right, I can just post both ways. There is one photo that DH took that looks pretty good without the lights on. There will be tons of details - I would be schocked if anyone were to find a detail that I missed (I should give a prize or something).

Krissd - Request taken, I'll post photos of the sectional. Actually, we should have our shag area rug by then too! I'll post the plans too so it can hopefully help you with ideas on furniture placement.

Kateskouros - Info and plenty 'o details are to come, I promise!! And pics galore!! Our island is 3'x8'.

Lastly but not leastly (bad grammar I know), Morton5 - Your comment about your DH not realizing you removed the pendants made me laugh out loud!! Thanks for putting reality behind all the semi-insanity with the kitchen reno details.

• tin-man
    15 years ago

Well I guess I lost in the polls :-(

I am going over to my own thread then to get help picking the side table to hide a media system,

Media Thread

I do tend to be better with the technical stuff.

• redroze
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Okay everyone, I'm not with this Tin-Man. Never met him in my life. LOL.

Yes, I just tried to give him constructive feedback on his post. He modified it three times. He's new to the GW forum everyone. Please be kind to my DH. LOL!!!!

• worldmom
    15 years ago

I vote for one shot of each. I think they're a little hard to see with the lights off, but with the lights on, you can't see the true finish of the fixtures - they look like polished brass or something.

Tin Man - my husband would salute you just for daring to dip your toe into the waters of the kitchen forum. ;o)

• catsam00
    15 years ago

redroze - I vote for 'ON' as well - can't wait to see the finished pictures. Quick question - I love you counter stools. Can you tell me where they're from? We are in the process of picking ours. By any chance are they from Urban Barn?

• catsam00
    15 years ago

redroze - I vote for 'ON' as well - can't wait to see the finished pictures. Quick question - I love you counter stools. Can you tell me where they're from? We are in the process of picking ours. By any chance are they from Urban Barn?

• redroze
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Worldmom, you got a chuckle from my DH. He's only received one reply on his post...he doesn't feel bad or anything. I told him that he'll get used to the forum speak that we use here, and get a better sense of what info he needs to provide to get responses. Haha... True, witht he lights on they do look like polished brass when in reality they're polished nickel.

Catsam - The counter stools are from a Canadian company called Urban Barn. I initially loved them, then hemmed and hawed for awhile on them, and got a nice nudge from my fellow GWers that they were the right fit. They are AWESOME...comfy and stylish.

Wait, I realized you recognized them from Urban Barn. Are you from Canada too??? Dave counter stools, $199 each. I know your kitchen very well, I think they'd look great in your beautiful space.

Here I am with another photo...not meant to tease, sorry! Don't know why they're coming out blurry though.

• danielle00
    15 years ago

Please post more! Your kitchen looks wonderful. I can't wait to see the finished product!

• redroze
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I will Danielle, in a few more weeks. I promise!! Drapes are ready so they'll go in tomorrow. Kitchen table, chairs, computer chair...and then post!!

• bobbie46
    15 years ago

Please tell me who makes the pendants and how much do they cost? Lovely kitchen.

• redroze
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you Bobbie. The pendants were our splurge (splurge meaning that we paid more than we generally would for the item). I couldn't find any other pendant that compared, and they are antique reproductions which make them pricey. Here's a link to Turn of the Century Lighting, a store in Toronto. I got the bright nickel finish which were $845 Canadian per pendant.

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert