Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texanniew

Thoughts on the GE Profile/Monogram lines?

texanniew
12 years ago

We have been leaning towards several items in this line and then realized we have a connection to get them wholesale. I don't want to just get these because I can get them at a good price. Anyone have them? Thoughts?

looking at the counter depth french door double door fridge; 27" double convection oven; 30" induction cooktop and advantium microwave. and dishwasher but haven't narrowed down choice.

Comments (17)

• Tinsel
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

We've had the regular-depth Profile french door fridge/freezer for about 18 months now, and it's been fine. I don't have anything bad to say about it, but I'm not a chef or anything ;)

• cotehele
    12 years ago

Texanniew, If you are new here, the experience several of us have had with GE products is unknown to you. I am sorry I don't have time to rewrite the senerio. I will cut and paste snippets from the dealings I have had with GE. I won't buy even a GE light bulb ever again. Neither GE or the appliance store stood behind their product. I still have the ovens, but prefer to use a Breville Smart oven because it bakes more evenly and at a constant temperature.

This is an e-mail to Rhome410 after GE agreed to buy back her oven: September 2010 - Just the words Monogran Ovens make my blood boil. I would get rid of them in a second if I could. In fact I told the customer care representative the same
    thing a couple of weeks ago. The warranty runs out the end of October, so I
    though I would take a third crack at getting the ovens in good working order.
    They listened very patiently to all the problems, which are very similar to
    yours. He promised to talk to the service techs and get back to me. Of course,
    he didn't call back nor did he send me the contact numbers he promised. I
    called again with the ticket number and was promised he would call. He did not
    call.

I am afraid the ovens are working the way they were designed to work: badly.
    The convection feature is worthless. Uneven heat distribution is a huge problem
    and multi-rack baking is impossible. The set temperature drops as much as 50
    degrees within 4 minutes of reaching the preheat temp. My strategy is to turn
    the temp down 25 degrees and back up to the baking temp about every 3-5 minutes. It keeps the temp from dropping more than about 25 degrees, which is still to much for any delicate baking. It is ridiculous it is necessary to require such constant monitoring. High high baking is just a disaster. The temp drops as much as 75 or 100 degrees within minutes. Making pita bread or pizza is worse because the oven door is opened and closed so often. I put a baking stone on the lower rack of each oven to try and get it to hold a more constant temperature, but it doesn't help.

I agree these ovens are a big disappointment. Before I bought them I talked to
    the store chef. He had only high praise for the Monogram ovens, and said they
    were the ones he preferred to use. Now I wonder if they got some kickback for
    selling them. Mine were on clearance in preparation for a new model. The
    enticement was the price, $2,500, as compared to the $5,000 for the Miele I
    intended to purchase. It's is a good thing I am a peaceful person, or I'd be in
    jail by now.

Another e-mail to Rhome410:
    October 6, 2010: I just spoke with Bill Bower. He seems to be' the buck stops here' person. He said nothing in my e-mail indicated a problem with my oven. It is normal for the temperature to fluctuate to maintain an average temperature. The notes of the A&E servicemen reported accurate temperatures. My oven is working properly. No refund. I could just cry, well I am. I said your ovens functioned just like mine and asked why did GE buy back your ovens and not mine. 'I have not looked at the notes" in that case. He would not budge, no buyback, nothing wrong with the ovens.

Getting a new kitchen is very exciting with great expectations. What ever you choose to purchase, enjoy your kitchen!

Cotehele

Here is a link that might be useful: an thread from Oct 2010

• gr8daygw
    12 years ago

My sister has the Advantium and other GE appliances from her major kitchen remodel. It was an $85K remodel with fixing foundation, replacing logs (she lives in a log cabin gorgeous place) and expanding the footprint. She went with all GE. I haven't heard her complain and she would she's a huge baking and cooking aficionado. We have also stayed in a condo in Hilton Head for the last two years for a week's vacation and it was an all GE kitchen and laundry and I was surprised at how much I liked it all. Especially the washer and dryer stacked unit and the dishwasher was especially good. I'm sure the condo gets a lot of abuse being rented to strangers year round and it was fine the next year we stayed, still like new. We'll be back again this year, too. Good luck!

• scrappy25
    12 years ago

we've had the 27" double oven Profile with top convection for 4 years,works flawlessly, no problems with the self cleaning either.

• dianalo
    12 years ago

I have the 30" monogram convection oven and like it a lot. We have had it for approx 8 months now...

• msgreatdeals
    12 years ago

I have a GE Profile frig and the double oven, Trivection. Right now I need to call for service on the oven. I did the self clean on the Trivection one and it has locked me out!! Until that happen, I was really happy. Not super happy with the frig either but it is very quiet and I like that. I did my remodel 2-3 years ago and this will be my first repair.

• badgergal
    12 years ago

I think the worst part of remodeling the kitchen is the anxiety associated with purchasing appliances. I've had the good fortune of owning trouble free appliances over the years. For my recent remodel I replaced an 18 year old GE Profile that was still going strong and I passed it on to someone else along with my 10 year old Bosch dishwasher. Someone else was thrilled to get my fully functioning 18 year old Amana range.

I knew I was not going to go high end with my new appliances but that still leaves a lot of choices to review. I read reviews upon reviews and decided it pretty much a crap shoot. I got a better deal on a Samsung French door refrigerator so I got that instead of the GE Profile. I did get the Profile single wall oven with convection and the Profile Advantium 120. I have only had them a few months but so far I love them. I have used all features on each of them except self clean. I never used an oven to proof dough before but I tried it with these ovens and it worked great. We stayed with Bosch for our dishwasher because of past experience and because their panel ready model does not stick out at all like some of the others do.
    Good luck to you with whatever you choose. You certainly will get lots of opinions here.

• texanniew
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thanks for all of the posts. i am a little confused, cotehele, it's all GE or just the monogram you don't like?
    scrappy, how do you like the 27" oven? i fell in love with the 30" and now realize it's too big for my cut out. compared to the 30", the 27" looks like nothing would fit!!

• cotehele
    12 years ago

Texanniew, I can see how you are confused. I've had GE dishwashers and refrigerators in the past that were fine. It is just that my recent experience with the GE ovens has been so horrendous that I do not want to support the company by purchasing anything GE makes.

• abbeys
    12 years ago

Our old refrigerator is a GE Profile side by side, counter depth. We were originally planning to keep it in the remodeled kitchen. But after the ice-maker broke twice in 2 years, we decided to get something else. The replaced ice-maker was supposed to have a 5 year warranty, so I expected them to make good on it. They said the warranty only covered the part, not labor. The labor came to exactly the same price as the parts and labor for the first replacement (I guess they just wanted $250 one way or the other). After that I decided to cross GE off my list for my new kitchen.. I heard from an appliance salesperson that the quality of their products has declined dramatically over the last few years. Sorry.

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

I had a bad relationship with the GE SD FD fridge in the temporary house we stayed in during our whole house reno. The fridge and freezer temps were all over the board anytime of day or night. In the morning the fridge could be high or low by 7 degrees for no reason, but the freezer would be fine. By lunch, the freezer could be far off and the fridge only off by a two degrees. Made no difference whether or not the doors were opened frequently or not. Lettuce and other greens routinely froze in it. I couldn't wait to get away from that thing. I've owned KA fridges for a number of years and have been very happy with them and their consistent temps.

The best advice I can give you is to buy the best appliance in each cateogry (fridge, range, DW, cooktop, oven, hood) you can afford with the features you want instead of trying to buy every appliance from the same manufacturer. As Buehl alluded to above, not every applaince brand excels in all categories.

And another quick note, just because someone had great experience with an appliance brand 20 or even 10 years ago that doesn't mean that the appliances made by that company now are of the same quality. Companies start manufacturing cheaper to keep up in this economy, which IMHO rarely leads to better performing or longer lasting goods.

• schmaltzy
    12 years ago

We have 3 year old GE appliances, and have had only 2 issues:

The first time I self cleaned the oven with the racks inside, it took a lot of lubricant to get one of them to slide smoothly again. I have had no issues since then. The cooking performance has never been an issue.
    Our FD refrigerator has water only in the door and it froze once. My DH fixed it by snaking the line, I believe.
    We have had no issues with our induction cooktop.
    Our dishwasher is Miele. I would have happily gone all Miele if the budget would have allowed me to :)
    We have a friend that repairs appliances for a living, and he told us that where he works, GE stands for "guaranteed employment.". He loves Whirlpool.

• texanniew
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you so much all of your for your posts. I really appreciate them! I think I will give a call to our appliance repair guy (haven't had to use him much throughout the years but has been working for me for over 20) and get his thoughts too.

• scrappy25
    12 years ago

texanniew, we've never had a thought about the 27" oven not being big enough. Our biggest turkey was probably 25 lb and no issue. You can easily fit two 13x9 baking pans side by side on one shelf. I love that you can use multiple shelves for baking with the convection feature. Two cookie sheets will overlap by about an inch, but I can still fit 2 on one shelf by putting the first sheet on one side normally and then "stack" the other sheet on the other side with one lip perched on the first cookie sheet (it only overlaps the lip so won't affect the cookies) and the other side "perched" on one of the shelf holder ledges.

One feature surprised me was that the oven fan runs for about 20 minutes after the oven turns off. I have read that is a common feature now for ovens with electronics, for protection. Our prior oven was a 30 year old Modern Maid so definitely did not have that feature.
    Good luck in your search!

• texanniew
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thanks, scrappy, that's good to know. i did go to a store and bring some pans so i feel better, but that 30" is just purty! LOL

• rhome410
    12 years ago

Cotehele mentioned that we had similar problems with our Monogram ovens at the same time. I believe the technology is the same in Profile ovens.

My Monogram oven varied from one side of the oven to another as much as 100 degrees. I have pictures of pizzas about 2/3 down the page of the linked thread... Half white and half browned. THere is a description there of the problems I had with the oven. I kind of promised some here and myself I wouldn't repeat it over and over, so you can read it there if you'd like.

I had a GE Profile electric range (no convection) we bought around 1999 that I really loved for the next 7 years we lived in that house...It's probably still working fine. It did a great job and I never had a service call on it. But with recent experience and reports, GE isn't a brand I'd buy or recommend.

I now have a Wolf oven. Customer service and oven performance are SO great compared to GE. The oven works as it claims, and the company is more than ready to stand behind it. It shouldn't be so amazing to have those things.

Here is a link that might be useful: oven thread