Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
saw50st8

Electrolux vs Wolf

Shira S
13 years ago

I keep going back and forth on double ovens. Please help me make the decision. Here are our requirements:

1) Reliable/Consistent

2) Sabbath mode

3) Time/bake delay

4) Self clean (that doesn't explode or melt the board)

5) Convection a plus, but technically optional

After reading a million reviews, we were leaning towards the Wolf. But everything in this kitchen keeps climbing in price (upgraded cabinets, upgraded counters etc) and I want to keep costs under control somewhat LOL.

Is the Electrolux a good product? It seems from many reviews that yes, its excellent. We aren't huge, heavy bakers but we do regularly use both ovens (we keep a kosher home).

If Electrolux is good enough, which model do you recommend??

Comments (49)

• rhome410
    13 years ago

Do they have different models? Or are you referring to Electrolux vs Electrolux ICON? The ICON have different handles/appearance, but are the same otherwise. The oven features are the same between Icons and 'regular' Electrolux. The funny thing is, unless something's changed recently, that the Icons are larger outside and smaller inside than the regular Electrolux.

I was deciding between these 2 ovens and went with the Wolf E-series. I'd already had problem ovens previous to this decision and wanted the best chance at having no hassles, so I decided Wolf was the surer bet.

In 2009 models Elux had a lot of problems with their electronic boards. They were reported to be good about servicing and fixing those ovens with problems, and supposedly made a quick adjustment that solved the problem for 2010 models. But that doesn't give those models much of a history to rely on. Wolf has made their ovens the same way for a LONG time, so I felt more comfortable with that.

It doesn't mean the current Elux ovens won't be great, and current owners give positive reviews. I just had dealt with enough oven problems and wasn't in the market to take any more of it.

• judithsara
    13 years ago

Hi :)

The Electrolux sabbath mode is the kind where the temperature is changed by a slew method. On YT you will have to change it up or down by increments, which means you have to remember what you temp you left it (and be sure of how many times you click press the up or down) since there is no visual indication.

- Judith

• shannonplus2
    13 years ago

Check into Fisher & Paykel. I don't have them, but my DH's cousins are kosher, and that's what they have, and have said they like it. Although I have no knowledge about its reliability ratings (perhaps someone can chime in), it has everything on your checklist above including convection and time/bake delay (which they call "automatic cooking" on the website). It's about $3500.

I also love the look of the DCS double ovens, with their chunky knobs. DCS is owned by Fisher & Paykel, but is a higher-priced line. I believe the DCS double ovens with the chunky knobs cost $5000. Note that it has convection in both ovens, I believe Wolf has convection in only one oven? DCS has another double oven without the knobs that is about $4000. DCS has a good reputation on this forum. There's another post on this forum right now about the re-designed 2011 DCS wall ovens coming out in April. Perhaps that means there are deals to be had on the current ones, I don't know.

Fisher & Paykel Double Wall Ovens

DCS Double Wall Ovens (click on photo to view larger)

• rhome410
    13 years ago

Wolf L Series has convection in both, E Series, only in the top.

I'll weigh in on the F&P:
    I had 2 Fisher and Paykel ovens. Excellent baking performance. In my first beloved oven the porcelain chipped and pitted after self-cleaning the 2nd time, so they replaced the oven. It was right when they were putting out the new model...The ones they have now with the more contemporary look and mirror glass doors. (Those are a pain for finger prints, if that kind of thing bothers you.) It had problems with the buttons not always engaging correctly. Not as much a problem as an annoyance, and I don't know if it's widespread or just a few ovens that had that...and if it was fixed or not. I know I mentioned the porcelain problem to an appliance salesman and he asked, "Oh, no problems with the buttons?" So I must not have been the only one.

Then the porcelain went in that one, too, and F&P had trouble finding service people to come and switch ovens for me, so they decided I lived 'in too rural an area' to provide me good service and bought back the oven. I don't know why I ran into that porcelain problem twice, because there were many F&P oven owners here on the forum through the years and I never read of anyone else having the trouble. After having a TERRIBLE experience with a Monogram oven performance between the F&P ovens and my current Wolf, I really wished I'd just patched the porcelain in the first F&P and stuck with it. It really did an excellent job in the ways that count.

When they sent me the 2nd F&P, I wasn't crazy about the new look and asked about getting a DCS instead. They would've let me get one, if I'd pay them the $1400 difference. I asked what I'd be getting for that difference, and all they could come up with is that DCS is their higher end 'badge' and the door looks different. Same guts inside. I wasn't in a position to pay $1400 for looks, so I accepted the contemporary F&P instead. Passing up the DCS was another thing I regretted after buying the Monogram...

• kashmi
    13 years ago

We've had a F&P wall oven for 4 years. It's been terrific. The true convection feature (which they call "aero") has worked very well. We bake a lot of bread and do pizza once a week. No trouble at all -- though I've never used the self-clean feature; I expect ovens to get dirty. Some folks might not like the analog dials, but I think they are great, as you can directly choose what you need without a lot of button pushing. Simple, clean lines, and works great. What's not to love?!

• shannonplus2
    13 years ago

Rhome, judging by the photo on the Fisher & Paykel link, it looks like their double ovens no longer have the mirror reflective doors you mentioned. Though of course it is best to see it in real life in a store to make sure. I didn't know about problems with the buttons; my DH's cousins never mentioned it. Their F&P ovens' doors are not the reflective mirrors. I think they thought I was weird to ask them about their wall ovens, but I am TKO and couldn't help it.

• rhome410
    13 years ago

Wolf vs Elux...Yes, seems like a big step to compare. But an interesting thing: I spoke with 1 salesman who used to work in R&D for Wolf and still knew someone who works there in engineering, so called him for me regarding questions I had about temperature recovery, accuracy, etc. for my particular use of the oven in high heat roasting, baking, and the baking of multiple pizzas, requiring the oven to maintain a high heat in a process where the door was opened ever 8 minutes or so. The engineer told about Wolf's ability to handle that and commented that Electrolux would be next in line. (They not only test their own ovens, but others, as well.)

My sister, who is also an avid baker, but of desserts, cakes, and pastries, instead of the breads and pizzas that we do most, has a Miele and is unimpressed and wouldn't buy another. I don't have more details, but her experienced and credible opinion, plus a number of recent negative reports here were enough to steer me in another direction. My Wolf preheats in 11 - 14 minutes, and I usually don't have anything ready to go in faster than that, so I don't consider it a problem for me.

The 2nd Fisher & Paykel I had definitely had the same oven doors they show on the website. As far as my description in regard to the mirror aspect...I meant that the glass is highly reflective with a silvery tone (my best description) that makes it even moreso. The advantage of this is that it lets what could look like a black oven kind of chameleon into any kitchen. ErikaNH put one in a white kitchen and the finish reflects all the white and window light, and it looks softer and grayer in her space. They are not just plain black glass as they look in the site photos. But fingerprints and smears definitely show.

ErikaNH's oven:

The one I had:

• Shira S
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Judithsara, are you the one who emailed me a nice explanation of kitchen information? If so, I'm going to try to email you back :-) Someone I know mentioned to me that if I get an oven with a sabbath mode like that to just put in a small temperature gauge so I don't have to remember.

The reason I am comparing the two is because of the cost factor. I've read so many problems with every oven out there. It seems like Electrolux is the best of the "lower end" (can you call a $3k oven lower LOL) and Wolf would be a great option from the upper end.

Save the $2k? Risk it with the Electrolux?

The appliance dealer I've been working with (who is usually great) said that he hasn't had problems with the Electrolux but he doesn't want to recommend it because of the issues from last year.

Argh.

What would you do?

• plllog
    13 years ago

There are so many difficult ovens on the market nowadays that I'd get the very best one I could. That doesn't necessarily mean the most expensive. Knowing the way Rhome uses her ovens, I trust her reviews, highly.

BTW, with "Sabbath Mode" some ovens also offer a low enough temperature to use the oven instead of a blech. I don't know if that's useful to you.

Re using a thermometer for the setting, I'm sure that works, and might be worth the price, but on reading the description I shudder at memories of preparing for three day chag at a friends', with utter chaos, way too many kids (hers was the house they all hung out at), old folks who "helped" but didn't really know what the mom wanted done, etc., etc. It seems to me that there's benefit in choosing the model that's easiest to use if everything else is equal.

I don't know enough about either oven to make a recommendation between them; just wish you the best with your choice.

• mem9
    13 years ago

"Save the $2k?"

I thought Wolf E-Series doubles were about $6K and L-Series about $7K. If you could actually get a Wolf for $5K that might be reason enough to do it.

• Shira S
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks plllog. I've heard that using an oven as a blech is problematic, but I'm going to ask my Rabbi. That would be totally useful.

I got a quote for the Wolf E Series for $5300.

I think I'm going to go wtih the Wolf, I'm just trying to find some way to scale back. Nothing seems to budge LOL.

• judithsara
    13 years ago

Yup thats me :)

The oven thermometer is an option, by my Rav (FIL) says I should leave it in all week, not just put it in for YT. Its definitely a good work around. Its still a slew up or down which I didnt want.

I know its very unpopular but I did go with the GE monogram and I will just hope for the best.

Im going to have to revisit the whole blech/oven thing with FIL. The oven goes down below Yad soledet bo. And I hate the concept of maaras eyin- really if you think I am actually cooking - dont eat at my house. So Im sure we will have spirited discussion when they visit.

But seriously I already have a giant electric blech and I am about to order a new one that is coming out. Its a mix of hot water urn/blech. It holds ~40 cups of water has a flat top and cant tip over!
    And to top it off we never use a blech cause I wont leave food out for 4 hours while we are all in shul and by the time we get home we just eat everything cold.
    Im guess I am just a sucker for new gadgets.

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

Funny, I was planning on the regular Elux for my new kitchen. I lusted after the Wolf knowing it was out of my budget. Through a series of coincidences, I found a Wolf L Series 30" double on a floor model clearance for $5800. That's still out of my price range even though the deal was great. I debated for 24 hours and decided that the Elux might be a $3K gamble, but the Wolf would be a sure bet. It was a very difficult decision. I bought the Wolf.

• mikern10
    13 years ago

I own the Electrolux Icon ovens and have been extremely impressed with all features. I highly recommend them and have had no troubles.

• zoe1chclt
    13 years ago

I also have been agonizing over the choice between Electrolux and Wolf,(see my post Does Elecrolux oven keep good temp? Posted by: zoe1chclt on Thu, Mar 10, 11 at 10:54) so all the comments here have been very helpful. I love to bake, and had 27" Jennair's die after self-cleaning, so have been trying to gather as much info as I can to make sure I am making the right decision. In my previous house, 9 years ago, I had a singe Miele oven that was the old model before Masterchef. That oven was wonderful. I have a great friend and neighbor with a newer Miele Masterchef that she has been letting me use while we renovate and choose new appliances. It is not the same as cooking in my old oven. The temp doesn't seem accurate, it takes longer to preheat, and they have had problems with the electronic panel. I have heard too many nightmares about Dacor to consider that, and have been impressed by what I have read about Electrolux on this site. But I have no idea what the difference is between Icon and regular Electrolux. And when I have called the company their phone staff doesn't even seem to know. And no one here stocks Icon. Can anyone tell me if it is just cosmetic, or actually better built, heavier stainless, etc. I would love to buy the Wolf and know that would ease some of the worrying, but am having a hard time justifying the extra $$.

• mikern10
    13 years ago

zoe1chclt: I have the Icon - The only real difference between the regular Electrolux and the Icon is cosmetic. I love the industrial, stainless look of the Icon with its clear glass. (Research, and you will see some people do not like the glass front). There is a myth that the Icon has a smaller interior which is not true. The Icon's racks are 1/2 inch less deep, a design to prevent items from hitting the convection fan. There is ample space, however, as I recently cooked a 25 pound Turkey in an All-Clad roaster with space to spare.

I looked into the Wolf before purchase and feel confident that the Electrolux meets all my needs, is a great performing oven and costs thousands less.

• judithsara
    13 years ago

Cj,

I sent you an email explaining the words... WOW I didnt realize how many non English words I used.

I just realized your use of slew LOL... thats when you press/or click 'up' or 'down' to change the temp as opposed to typing in the temp or using a dial with set temp markings.
    I hate that on my current oven - it starts on 350 and I get buttonitis* from trying to raise it to high heat.

-Judith

* And we thought Jane Jettson was was just being a hypochondriac.

• Shira S
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Judith,

Right now we use a metal blech on our gas stove and I hate using it. About leaving the food in the oven - I think there might be a specific prohibition if you aren't using some sort of metal box to differentiate from normal cooking. I vaguely remember having this conversation with someone.

Thanks everyone for your input and I'm really more confused than ever. Maybe I'll just let DH decide...but $2300 is a lot of money...

• zoe1chclt
    13 years ago

mikern10 - Thank you for the clarification on the Icon. And your positive informative comments, as well as those of cj47 and rhome. It has definitely made me feel better about saving the extra money and purchasing the Electrolux Icon, which I found online now for $3200.

Saw50st8: Good luck with your decision and thanks for starting this post.

• cj47
    13 years ago

Judith, thanks!! :-) I will go look for it. I ran out of steam before looking up everything I wanted to, so I appreciate the information!

The racks on the Icons are indeed smaller than on the non Icons--and that makes the space available for use smaller as well. I measured that cavity and it was smaller than the non-Icon cavity--that is not a myth. Or, at least it wasn't a year and a half ago. Since I regularly load up my ovens to the max with multiple loaves of bread and the like, this was a deal breaker for me. The Icons are not a bad product by any stretch--they have an awesome look to them. But oven space, even an inch or 3/4 of an inch in the front, is an issue for some, and it was enough for me to sway my decision. If it's not an issue for you and you like the look, then it's a good choice. But the available space is a bit less, and that's just the way it is.

Cj

• wekick
    13 years ago

I have a Wolf oven in the DF range, a little different than the wall ovens, and an Electrolux wall oven. They both are great. There are dual fans in the Wolf and a few more modes. The Electrolux preheats quicker and may have a little more temperature range on some of the modes. I could have bought either but just liked the Electrolux. After having it for a couple of years, I would choose the same again.

• Shira S
    Original Author
    13 years ago

OK to totally throw this conversation for a loop, we've decided on the GE Monogram ZET2SMSS. My husband likes the price much better and wants to buy an extended warranty.

We'll probably get the cooktop and venthood from GE since they have a special and it will end up being about $500-700 cheaper for us. Any have any opinions on the monogram cooktop or vent hood?

• rhome410
    13 years ago

Oh, dear...Did you buy the Monogram yet? You must not have read my many previous posts regarding the Monogram oven that I was VERY GLAD to have GE take back. It wasn't a "lemon," in that there was nothing technically wrong with it according to how it was meant to be, just not good engineering for reaching and maintaining temps, and for even baking. I don't think it offers what the Elux or Wolf do in baking flexibility and options, starting with the temperature adjustments in no less than 25 degree increments. It is not the oven it should be for the price.

The racks are nice, but bulky, and severely limit the number of rack positions you can use. There are only 5, if I remember right, and the lowest and highest are so close to the upper and lower elements, I only considered 3 really worth using. You'll end up storing 1 rack out of each oven, because it's not at all practical to have them all in at once.

Cotehele, another avid baker, experienced the exact same problems with her ZET2 Monogram that I did...losing temps, temps drastically uneven within the oven cavity, but the told her that the oven was fine and they wouldn't buy hers back. I was the lucky one.

The Monogram, when we adjusted to raise the temp it lost, would go into preheat mode and burn the tops of the baked goods. This is how it's designed. A terrible idea.

Both Cotehele and I have photos that show very uneven baking in the Monogram...I bought 2 thermometers and noted greatly varying temps from one area of the oven to another (25 to 100 degrees!). One time I made pizza that looked like someone had drawn a line down the middle, because of one half being brown and one half white. I only took a photo of one, but all 4 or 5 we did that night looked like that.

• dodge59
    13 years ago

Very "Artistic", rhome, No doubt about it You got "Creative Baking Skills" (LOL)

Gary

• rhome410
    13 years ago

You didn't know a pizza could come in well done and medium rare (at the same time, even) did you, Gary? ;-)

• judithsara
    13 years ago

Rhome,
    I didn't realize the temp was in 25degree increments... that's shocking!

Saw,
    I looked through the manual for that one, and I didnt see how you can change temp on the sabbath mode. Do you know if its just turning the knob?

I cant believe how much I am vacillating about choosing appliances ... this sucks.

• dodge59
    13 years ago

No, I want your old oven. Seems like would be great for doing meats, ya know where somebody wants it well done, whilst another likes it still mooing.

Hard to believe any oven would do as your old one did, too bad there aren't GE "Snoops" here, I mean talk about
    "Indigestion"!!!!!

Gary

• Shira S
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you Rhome. I thought I had read your posts and that it was a lemon.

Gosh, is there an oven for me?!!?!?!?!!??

• Shira S
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Do I just abandon my rangetop/double wall oven in favor of a DF 48" range??? Or are there still the same issues?

(the range would give me a better layout but I don't want to plunk down $10k on a range really...)

• rhome410
    13 years ago

GE has seen this picture, thanks to Rococogurl, who got the ball rolling for me. It's what freed me from the oven...that and follow up complaints with reports from my thermometer readings, after they tried replacing the display board, which improved nothing.

Saw50st8, I wouldn't trust the oven in a Monogram DF range any more than their wall oven. I think there could be a good oven for you in the other 3 discussed here (Wolf, F&P/DCS, Elux). I'd feel more confident in choosing any one of them over the Monogram.

• shannonplus2
    13 years ago

Saw50st8 - I am not trying to be harsh, but bear in mind that people have posted on this thread at length and taken the time to give you suggestions for wall ovens that fulfilled your checklist in your OP. You bypassed all without explaining why. You ignored Rhome's experience with the GE and said you were choosing that. Then you said you are now contemplating a 48" range for $10K. You risk that people will become fatigued and/or frustrated with offering you advice. What was wrong with the F&P, Electrolux or Wolf that would cause you to say "gosh is there an oven for me?"

• plllog
    13 years ago

Actually, I think this is probably a marital issue. At which point, my advice is to tell the husband that it is a severe false economy to buy appliances that don't fulfill one's needs rather than choosing the best price from among those that are suitable. Like buying no-exchange season tickets to the Friday night symphony because you can get a deal rather than paying full price for Thursday. It makes no sense. Why would he try foisting a brand on you which is known to work poorly for baking when you bake?

• Shira S
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Shannon,

I wasn't trying to be rude. I've just been going around and around in circles on this.

My husband doesn't really want to spend $5300 on a Wolf, so we keep looking at alternatives. He and I both spoke with a a few large suppliers in our area who mentioned that they have not had the problems mentioned on here. So my husband really wanted to get it.

The Electrolux uses the slew method on the Sabbath mode, so I'm not crazy about it.

I've heard some negative things about the FP from people I know.

I say "Gosh is there an oven for me?" because I don't think I cook and bake at the level of a Wolf.

I bake bread/cookies/cakes maybe once a month.
    I do most of my own cooking, but I'm not a gourmet.

Right now I'm using an older range...the oven is pretty bad (bottom of bread always burns) and cookies don't bake evenly but I just figured that's because its old.

Our construction bids came back higher than expected. Everything is getting expensive and I'm trying to cut somewhere. Its why I'm spinning around...

• annachosaknj6b
    12 years ago

Saw and judithsara, did y'all make any decisions yet? I found this thread when I started looking up DCS wall ovens here because I saw a 30" double oven for a very nice price and ran across this thread. I'm also kosher and have the same requirements and having the same problems finding an appliance to fit the bill. I'd love to have this decision over with; it's really frustrating!!!

• Shira S
    Original Author
    12 years ago

We decided to go with the Fridgidaire Gallery double oven. Its not gourmet or anything, but it fits our bill, is cheaper and if it breaks down horribly, then I'll invest in a Wolf. Ours will cost $1885.

• annachosaknj6b
    12 years ago

Thanks for getting back to me. I think I may go for the DCS ones at the outlet...it seems too good to pass up. We should post followups on our choices for future kosher GWers.

• annachosaknj6b
    12 years ago

Update: Did not purchase the ones at the Sears outlet, as it was the WOT230SS model and did not have Sabbath mode. Also all the oven racks but one were missing and I wasn't sure I could get replacements on a discontinued model. I'll keep looking for a deal on these as they seem very good.

• rhome410
    12 years ago

It should be easy to find out if parts are still available for discontinued models. Fisher and Paykel should be able to tell you, or there are sites online that specialize in appliance replacement parts.

• judithsara
    12 years ago

I did go with the 2 GE Monogram ranges. Sitting in the garage because construction is no where near done.

Honestly I am building a gourmet kitchen but I dont really cook much LOL How good does it have to be to make a roasted chicken or bake a potato kugle.

I agonized over the decision, but in the end I will just hope they work well enough to heat up chicken nuggets and fries.

• annachosaknj6b
    12 years ago

Heh...I am sure it will be just fine for that. I OTOH really love to cook and bake and we make most dishes from scratch, so functionality is really important to me. But there are nights when we come home late and make nachos for dinner!

BTW I wish you would come over to the Kitchen forum and see what you think of my layout; look for the "tricky corner" thread.

• Jlahav
    12 years ago

Sorry to take the discussion back to Sabbath Mode, but I was under the impression that you can't really use these ovens on Sabbath (as per Star-K, the certifying org), since they are still operating on thermostats and every time you open the door, the oven will cycle to make up for the lost heat.

Are there any ovens out there that simply just sit at a temp when in Sabbath mode, regardless if someone opens the door?

• plllog
    12 years ago

Well, you could get the Aga cooker. It's always on with a central fire, and there are a couple of ovens that you can open and close on Shabbat, per Star-K.

I don't know of any other ovens that don't have thermostats.

• annachosaknj6b
    12 years ago

It's Star-K certified for standard halachic use, meaning you can't insulate food against heat once Shabbat has started. You could leave it on a low temperature to keep your food warm for Friday night dinner, but once you open it, you have to take all the food out and not return any of it to the oven. However, you could turn the temperature up for a few minutes right before candlelighting to let the oven get really hot, then turn it off and let the residual heat keep your food warm. Then there's no problem. But there's also no heat. :-) Nor are you supposed to take cold prepared food from the fridge and warm it up in an oven or a warming drawer for Saturday lunch, because you're heating it in an insulated environment.

That said, I know plenty of people who do use warming drawers and ovens in precisely that way. Consult your Rav on this; he's the only one who can say for sure.

• segesta
    12 years ago

GardenWeb administrators rule.

• bonesoda
    12 years ago

I guess my post here is a sideline to any users of Kitchenaid or current users who have used handful of ovens how does the kitchenaid kebs series (architect II series) compare in terms of even heat and cooking aspect... if for a second you forget they cease to work after a self clean.

• rhome410
    12 years ago

Yay...This proves that messages written to GW via the 'technical problems' link work! Now, thankfully, back to ovens.

Jmith, you'll probably want to start your own new thread in order to grab the attention of those with KitchenAid oven experience, so you'll get the input you need. Best wishes.

• bonesoda
    12 years ago

thanks will do rhome.

• annachosaknj6b
    12 years ago

Kudos to the mods and to whoever alerted them!