Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flynnnj

Hiding the microwave & Looking for cjc123 and mnerg???

flynnnj
12 years ago

I need help planning an appliance garage to hide a small microwave and Tassimo coffee maker. I only use each item 1-2 times/day and really don't want to see them when they're not in use. I want to put them under glass front doors.

You mentioned a tilt-up door on another thread. How would I do that? Do I order a 36" wide door and find the right hinges and glides and do it myself? Would a 36" wide door (by 18" high) be too bulky? Should I split it into 2 doors?

I asked my kitchen designer if my cabinets from Jim Bishop could do this. They only offer a flip-up door which ends up blocking the glass-front cabinets that are directly above the appl. garage. Besides being concerned about the door bumping into and covering the glass I won't be able to get to dishes or coffee cups.

I guess I could be SUPER organized and remember to take out the dishes or coffee cups first but that seems like way too much thinking in the morning and especially when there's company. Needing an extra dish or coffee cup could turn into a real hassle and end up complicating simple every day tasks.

I had no idea that wanting to hide these 2 appliances would be such a challenge. I need any and all suggestions at this point. I hope there is a way I can hide them...that's practical and affordable. HELP!

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (14)

• amykath
    12 years ago

Can you put them in a pantry? Even just the microwave? Thats what I did and loved it!

• flynnnj
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It's a great idea but this kitchen doesn't have enough space for a pantry. You'll notice that the designer put the microwave over the range ... that's what I want to change.

Not sure if I'm inserting the plans the right way... here goes!

http://i1154.photobucket.com/albums/p539/Flynnnj/Sinkarea001.jpg

http://i1154.photobucket.com/albums/p539/Flynnnj/Refrigeratorwall001.jpg

http://i1154.photobucket.com/albums/p539/Flynnnj/Stovewall001.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: Current Kitchen & New Design Plans

• flynnnj
    Original Author
    12 years ago

WOW- Writersblock - are you my Fairy 'photo' Godmother?? I feel like Cinderella at the ball. What did you do that I didn't know how to do?

Most of all THANKS for posting them - much appreciated!

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    12 years ago

Since the people that you gave a shout out for didn't answer, yet, I'm going to post pics of my super-simple, super-inexpensive, scrap/salvage microwave cabinet, just to give you an idea. LOL, have I hedged my bets enough? Not drummed up too much anticipation?

I re-used an old cabinet door, adding a wooden bar as a pull, to give it a 'vintage bread box' look. The bar rests on the counter when the door is open, supporting the door, and allowing it to double as a landing space. I added a sheet of aluminum flashing, left over from another project, to accommodate hot pans from the oven. The counter is 28.5" deep.

In progress:

Finished:

In action, sorry not in photobucket yet.

Inside the cabinet, I left a couple of inches on each side, and a few on top, for ventilation, as well as drilled holes in the open shelf, above the top vents. The back is open an inch or so from the wall.

If you want to see the rest of the kitchen, you can click on my username for links.

Good Luck!

• User
    12 years ago

Hi, flynn. Here are my two appliance garages, side by side with tilt-up doors. The doors roll back into the garages, and so don't interfere with the cabinet above. My uninformed guess is that this type of hardware works with inset doors but not overlay. (I'm guessing from your drawings that you're going with overlay?) Perhaps someone more knowledgeable about cabinetry might step in here and discuss the the possible door mechanisms.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

(Side note: Interesting, isn't it, that the exposed soapstone has darkened over time, but the stone inside the cabinet hasn't?)

As far as size goes, if I remember right, mine are each 26" wide by 18" high by 18" deep. (The whole unit was built without a back, so that we'd get a bit of extra depth for the microwave, in the left-hand garage.) Doors at this size don't feel bulky to me at all. I could easily be comfortable going bigger, but wouldn't want them much smaller.

I'm a bit confused about the spot you're thinking about for yours. The original post seems to indicate the counter to the right of your refrigerator, but the later pictures show what looks like an appliance garage in the corner between the sink and the range. If you mean to the right of the refrigerator, think carefully about how much of that precious fridge-landing-space it would eat up. And don't forget that a microwave needs landing space, too, as mamagoose pointed out. We have a small bread board that pulls out right in front of the microwave. Maybe this would be a good place for one for you, too.

Best of luck with your decision-making.
    Regina

• flynnnj
    Original Author
    12 years ago

mama_goose - love your sense of humor AND we have the same stove but mine is gas; it's the one I'm replacing because only 2 of the burners work. My counter will be 30" deep so pretty similar to your depth. I really like your suggestions and the photos are a big help TY!! TY!!

mnerg/regina- your soapstone reminds me of my hardwood floor - the difference between the carpet and the area in the sun is amazing - I can't ever rearrange the furniture unless I want to refinish the floors!

Yes, I've planned an appliance garage near the sink - some people have said NOT TO DO IT but I lovingly refer to it as the 'dead man's' zone because it's just too far back into the corner to be functional so the garage will hide the blender and frother---is that a word???

You were right- I am thinking of using the area next to the frig - it will be 30" deep and the cabinet only 18" deep. I have a 30" board on top of the old 24" counter to give me a feel of how it would be. I was thinking about a 3-sided cabinet (R/L side and top, underneath the glass front cabinet above) and NO BACK - exactly what you wrote - for extra space and I'd put tile or stainless back there because of the potential heat from the microwave and coffee maker, although the Tassimo doesn't seem to throw off a lot of steam

I appreciate all your ideas - it's helping me sort things through.

• dragonfly08
    12 years ago

I'm getting my appliance garage custom made by the same place that did my cabinets. I took inspiration from this photo initially found on bhg.com. Given that I'm unable to access my laptop right now, best I can do is post a link to a pic of it on Pinterest (sorry!). Anyway, I have full overlay cabinets and didn't want a roll-up (like those old secretary desks or an actual garage door) nor a door that flipped up and over front of overhead cabs. This door opens left-right and folds itself in half while doing so. Just throwing out another idea that I haven't come across on this forum yet. I'm waiting for mine to arrive and will post pics later if you'd like to see it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Appliance garage

• flynnnj
    Original Author
    12 years ago

dragonfly08 - what a great idea! I would just switch the bi-fold so it opens right to left and folds against the refrigerator wall. That way the right side of the counter, which is near a passageway, and it would be great if there wouldn't be a door sticking out.

If I do pocket doors it would only be about an extra 4-5" protruding when it's open but all the hardware inside that would let it glide back takes up some space. The bi-fold door really leaves a lot of good interior room.

I know there will be a full panel next to the refrigerator. It looks like I'd need the same thing on the right side. Then would I ask the kitchen person to order 2 inset Shaker doors in the same style from Jim Bishop? The cabinet above was going to be full access with full overlay doors. Would it look odd if the two sets of doors were different - the one underneath as an inset door and the one above full overlay? Should we make the doors above inset too?

Will that make the full overlay doors on the stove wall look out of place or no one would even notice?

Oh, no - everything keeps leading to more questions rather than answers.

What's absolutely amazing is that there's ALWAYS a great suggestion or solution from someone on GW.

• laurajane02
    12 years ago

Dragonfly ~ Thanks for posting that link! If I'm going to have an appliance garage, it will have to be in the corner, so your photo is perfect.

Mnerg ~ Thanks for posting your photos as well! Your appliance garage would fit my space perfectly.

• Kat3kits
    12 years ago

I noticed you have two sets of bi-fold doors facing each other just off your kitchen in that little hallway...could you borrow space from the one next to your current 'pantry-ette' and create a niche in the wall?

Or is there any way to re-purpose either of those spaces behind the closet doors?

• flynnnj
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Kat3kits - That's such a good idea but the bi-fold doors on the right near the pantry-ette hold the gas water heater and furnace; the ones on the left hold the washer and dryer without space for much else.

mnerg - love your 2 doors - I am having full overlay doors on the upper cabinets next to the stove. Do you think it would look OK to do inset doors next to the frig and on the appliance garage underneath? Would the difference on the 2 walls be too obvious? There's already going to be a difference between those 2 areas. I can remove the soffit on the refrig wall and those cabinets will go up to the crown molding. On the stove wall the soffit has to stay.

• User
    12 years ago

I could see inset on just the appliance garage and the glass-fronted cabinet above it, if you need inset to get the appliance garage door(s) to retract the way you want it(them) to. Can you have your KD give you a drawing of what that would look like?

Mixing can work if there's rhyme and reason to it. Some examples:

thread about full overlay lowers with inset uppers, pics from cjc123 and sombreuil_mongrel:
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg111110086509.html?13

artemis78's finished kitchen, one side inset and the other frameless:
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg1014460518624.html

• Grandmaevey2004
    12 years ago

We are adding on a nice big kitchen in our home. We plan on having 30" deep counters on one wall and want to put in a 5' appliance garage under cabinets and between 2 windows. Hubby is doing all work including building cabinets (he's very handy!). We have a copper backsplash and I'm thinking having copper cover the appliance garage doors would look very nice. What kind of doors / hardware would you recommend?