Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dawnr_gw

Using inset on top and overlay (full or partial) on bottom?

dawnr
12 years ago

I am planning a small kitchen reno. Its basic L shaped in a 200 + yr old house. Country style more or less. No redeeming features in the kitchen. Low ceilings. I am going white (soft/off white), shaker style cabinets and stained hickory floor I think. I want to put single glass front cabinet on each side of sink (upper)for display , then regular cabinets. I think inset looks nicer with the shaker style and a little glass, but was thinking of overlay for bottom (more practical? less nicks? more space?). I have seem a few pics of kitchens using both styles and thoght it looked fine. Can't place my hands on them now. Any thoughts to this? or pics? thanks

Comments (13)

• mpagmom (SW Ohio)
    12 years ago

cjc123, I love your kitchen and I'm coveting your quartzite!

• robbcs3
    12 years ago

It doesn't look bad. If it's not a budget thing I don't know why you wouldn't just go all inset. You won't get any more space unless you use frameless on the bottom. I don't see how it would be more practical or you would get less nicks.

• cjc123
    12 years ago

robbc3 - if you look at an inset cabinet vs a full overlay there is the potential (believe me it happenes alot) ding factor on the bottom and side edges. If you hit these edges with full overlay when you shut the door the ding is covered. If you hit the edges of inset it is always exposed. You get more room in drawers in full overlay - inset framing takes up more room, add drawer hardware and the space shrinks. The clearence in full overlay is also better. There is a frame around the front of inset cabinets.

• Bunny
    12 years ago

Your kitchen is beautiful. And you know what? I would probably have never noticed the difference in your cabinets had you not mentioned it. And even after you mentioned it, it doesn't look different enough to register.

• westtoeast
    12 years ago

I agree with linelle, I wouod have never notcied! Beautiful, cjc.

• cjc123
    12 years ago

Thanks mpagmom,linelle and westtoeast! ;) I know there was a white kitchen that was set up like mine, for the life of me I can't think who's it was.. arggg Maybe someone will help dawnr out and link it up!

• robbcs3
    12 years ago

cjc123:
    I wasn't aware we were talking about dings with the doors open. Keep in mind the dinging usually happens because you have the front frame on the cabinetry. Most folks experience far less of this with frameless cabinetry.
    I'm not sure about the frame size on your inset, but most times it's 1 1/2" just like full overlay framed. So, comparing full overlay framed to inset everything is the same size. Looking at your picture it would appear that you have frameless on the bottom. Which means we are saying the same thing as me, you are just calling it full overlay (which is also available in framed cabinetry) and I am calling it frameless.

• sandn
    12 years ago

Hi Dawn,
    Our kitchen is exactly what you describe. We have face frame inset glass door and sidelight upper cabinets, and frameless full-overlay all-drawer lowers, plus a face frame inset cabinet at one end of our island for glasses, and a face frame open shelf unit at one end of the kitchen. It's a great mix. The frameless drawers are spacious and make excellent use of our available space, while the face frame upper cabinets provide some of the cabinetry details we love and wanted for our old house. It's a great blend. Our cabinetmaker was fully at ease building both styles and he incorporated the two very gracefully. We haven't posted any finished pictures yet, but we're hoping to get to it soon.

• dawnr
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sandn - that would be great if you could post pics when you have a chance. Thanks very much

• leia_in_lalaland
    12 years ago

Your kitchen is beautiful. :)

I know this isn't the appliance forum (so I hope it isn't inappropriate to ask) - is your stove/range from the GE Cafe line? I see the red logo on your refrigerator so I'm guessing it might be.

Re: insets vs. frameless - as others have mentioned as well, I never would have noticed.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    12 years ago

Mee Two.

Casey

• cjc123
    12 years ago

leia, yes it is... you can go to my page and email me if you have a question. ;)

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm