Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oldhouse1_gw

How do you like your marble countertops?

oldhouse1
13 years ago

We have built a new addition kitchen on our 1840 house. While I'm not necessarily going for a period kitchen I am trying to respect the history of our home. We are going for an unfitted look with open shelves, wide plank pine flooring, v-groove and beamed ceiling and reproduction jam cupboard. Our cabinets will be painted with BM Cloud White and the walls probably with Farrow and Ball Old White.

This is my dilemma. I want wood countertops with marble somewhere. I originally thought I would go with a marble island (freestanding pine work island table in black) and wood perimeters. Most people however show marble perimeters and wood islands. The suppliers I have seen all suggest, actually insist we don't use marble for various reasons. In fact most want me to sign a waiver saying that I was warned. I know all about the risks but they are scaring me off. I also got a very good quote to do all surfaces in carrara marble. I understand that this is more likely to stain etc. I would love calcatta but am not sure I can afford it. So.....if you have marble, do you like it? Does it drive you crazy and what surfaces have you done?

I really value your comments. Thanks!

P.S I know there are granites out there that are marble like (moon white, white princess, alaskan white) but they are very hard to find where I am located. There is quartz as well but it is well beyond my budget. Any other suggestions?

Comments (41)

• Stacey Collins
    13 years ago

Tee hee. This thread is duplicated about a million times in the archives here! If you do a quick search you'll find weeks worth of reading on this subject :)

I started out looking for white granites, because I'd heard all the same warnings. I ended up with carerra marble, and I love it. Mine is honed, It is sealed (with Porous Plus). It has no stains, but it does have etching (which is unavoidable with marble) and little teeny dings. Marble is porous, and a lot softer than granite. However, I'm fine with those... I like the "patina"....

If you REALLY don't want to have etching, suggest you look at some of the white quarzites. They have a marble look, but are genreally more impervious. I have some Vermont White (which is rather grey) in a bathroom and the only thing I could get to etch it (when I tried a sample) was salicitic acid (acne treatment). Several people on this forum have white-white quartzites that are stunning. They report varying degrees of etching. Again, do a search.

No granite is going to look like marble. The speckled-ness is just.... different. But honing a light granite like Kashmir White can give it a much softer, more organic feeling, which is one of the things people usually like about honed marble.

Quartzite and the fancier marbles (calacatta, statuario, etc) are going to cost a lot more than Carrara, which in my area is equal to a mid-range granite.

I suggest you get some samples from a stoneyeard and leave vinegar, wine, ketchup, etc on them so you can see for yourself firsthand what happens. Better yet, find a neighbor with marble counters and go look at them. That's what finally decided me. I went to a woman's house with un-babied carrara and still loved the look...

I have marble on my perimeter and wood (cherry) on my island. I wanted a place to do messy prep work (acidic stuff like canning tomatoes and processing strawberries which would etch the marble) and I also wanted the seating area to feel warmer. I also wanted more of a "farm table" feel to the island, and felt the marble was a little more austere and fancy than that. The marble on the perimeter is great, because then I have more waterproof sink surround. I love rolling out pastry on the marble, too.

Good luck!

• oldhouse1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

staceyneil..OOPS sorry, wasn't thinking. My bad. I think I'm in a marble fog. Thanks for the reply anyway. One thing I forgot to ask that you touched on is that I know I have read here that honed is easier to maintain as long as it's sealed but all the suppliers that I have talked to say the exact opposite. I was also wondering about rolling out pastry and cookies so thanks for answering that. Would the simple act of using cookie cutters on the counter scratch them?

• pricklypearcactus
    13 years ago

You mention that you "want wood countertops with marble somewhere". Have you considered doing wood countertops and marble backsplash (either slabs or tiles)?

• laxsupermom
    13 years ago

I would like them on a boat and I would like them with a goat.
    I would like them in the rain and I would like them on a train.
    Yes in the dark! Yes in a tree!
    Yes in a car! Just look and see!
    I would like them in a box and I would like them with a fox.
    I would like them in my house and I would like them with a mouse.(ok, maybe not with a mouse)
    I would like them here or there - Yes I would like them ANYWHERE!

Okay, obviously I'm feeling a bit silly, today. I like them both honed and polished, but I think honed is more practical. Either on the perimeter, or the island, or both - all kitchens with marble make my heart sing.

And as a note to the above homage to Dr. Seuss, wouldn't marble counters in a tree house be the absolute most decadently wonderful thing?

• lucypwd
    13 years ago

LOVE LOVE LOVE laxsupermom's Dr. Seuss poem!!
    I also Love my calcatta marble. Lots of etches and even some dings - NO stains after 2 1/2 years. I do have granite around the perimeter with marble on the island - yes, I even love the mix of river wash granite with the honed marble. I am glad I didn't put the marble around the perimeter only because I hit the edges of the granite all the time when loading the DW and I'm sure if it was marble, it would have major chips. It may just be my calcatta, but I do have a few chips that I don't even know how they occured. I would do marble again in a heartbeat.

laxsupermom - bought new mouthguards today - season is coming up!! How can I become a supermom too??

• kateskouros
    13 years ago

i was talking to my husband about an extended vacation this summer and he referred me to the marble countertops, all over the house.

i will be sprawled out on my island this summer wearing a bikini. happily!

• oldhouse1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

pricklypearcactus -I haven't thought of doing wood countertops with just a marble backsplash. I would like to do a beadboard backsplash as a nice background for all of my cream colored dishes as I will have some open shelves but If I go for just a marble island I may do a slab backsplash behind my range to tie everything in. Thanks

laxsupermom -"Thanks for the Memories" I used to read that book to my kids all the time. You are to funny! You've definately gotten me excited about marble. Why is honed better? I've been told the opposite?

lucypwd -Something about marble. Seems to make people giddy. I would love to get calcatta. Price is much steeper. Maybe I just have to see the right slab to fall in love and take the plunge.

• oldhouse1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

lastacx -Thanks, it's great to know that I shouldn't be put off by people saying how difficult it is to care for.

kateskouros - as I said marble makes people positively giddy. Please take a PICTURE.

• sayde
    13 years ago

kateskouros, loved your post. I can really relate. When it comes right down to is, I don't want to travel, I don't want to buy clothes, I just want the kitchen to be what I want it to be, and I want marble!

I'm about to put a deposit on honed Eureka Danby.

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Stacyneil,
    post some pictures of your gorgeous marble!
    I love your marble. I remember when you were shopping for
    it. It was not long after I had my granite installed.
    In my next house it is marble for me. Now show off your
    treasure. I for one would love to see it again.
    ~boxer

Here is a link that Stacyneil started back in 09
    Honed marble countertops 3 years later? Photos? Experience?
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0515282622706.html

From Sabjimata
    anyone have pics of OLD white marble counter tops?
    http://ths.gardenweb.com//forums/load/kitchbath/msg0121575627677.html?5

Anyone regret getting marble
    http://ths.gardenweb.com//forums/load/kitchbath/msg0211001428927.html

Marble: they're not kidding about the etching!
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0613371314183.html

Etching Carrara Marble
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg031907413834.html

Poof marble etches gone.
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg091217283361.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Why not do White Marble in a kitchen? Apt blog

• laxsupermom
    13 years ago

lucypwdWD needs a new mouthguard. I need to grab it before Tuesday when Lax clinic starts up. He took the second half of the indoor season off to concentrate on wrestling and somehow lost it and needs a new one. How do you become a supermom? It's just what one of his coaches calls me. Not something I really believe. Although I do own a set of cleats that I wear when I hit the field with the boys.

• laxsupermom
    13 years ago

oldhouse1, I forgot to answer your question. Generally speaking honed is more practical, because all marble will etch. Sealing stops stains not etching. The etching is much less noticeable on a well honed surface than on a polished. Plus if you do see any of the etching, you can always rehone yourself with half a lemon.

• oldhouse1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

sayde -Totally agree with you. Will have to check out Eureka Danby. How exciting for you.

boxerpups -The Queen of pictures has come through again. Thank you for the links. Read every one of them.

laxsupermom -Thanks, I've been to 4 reputable places and they all insist that polished is the necessary way to go. I told them that I have heard otherwise on this great forum..... That's interesting that you can rehone using a lemon. I would have thought that it would cause more etching.

• lucypwd
    13 years ago

Has anyone actually rehoned with 1/2 a lemon? I left a bag of ripe peaches on the island after shopping and now have a huge swirly etch from the peach juice. I never considered the acidity of peach juice. It is much worse that the little rings and drops. Even so, it doesn't stand out, you really need to be looking for it. I would be afraid to use a lemon on the marble. I think etching either bothers you or it doesn't. My husband is a shiney granite person; he is always pointing out etches. On the other hand, I don't mind it; it's the kitchen, I use the marble as a work surface. I love how it feels. I would rather not have etching, but can live with it. If you want the surface to be pristine, then don't get marble because you are going to have etches.
    Definitely hone your marble -

• lucypwd
    13 years ago

Oops, forgot to add: I really am fascinated by the advice to polish your marble. I heard the same thing, yet no one I know seems to actually have polished marble - everything I've seen is honed. I personally don't like a high polish. All my granite is leathered, antiqued,or river washed, (all terms for a bit of texturing to the granite), and my marble is honed. I just like the soft feel and look of it. Now having lived with my marble, I can't imagine having a high polish even if I liked the look. I don't understand why contractors and fabricators would recommend a polished marble.... Don't forget to seal your marble with porous plus.

• User
    13 years ago

Have you looked at the marble that Alabamamommy has ? I have Sylacauga marble also. Mine is a salvaged piece from a building in GA that was torn down. It is the most beautiful marble and is used for all of the most famous bldgs in D.C. It is also much less expensive than the other kinds. I will include a link but you may also want to contact ALmommy and ask her who she got her slabs from.

I have teak on my perimeter and love it. Since we have an 1890 home I was going for things that looked original to the house. I think I succeeded.

You will love marble. I haven't done anything special to mine and it has had heavy use for 5 years now. Coffee stains on a daily basis that wipe right up and sometimes I use a little Soft Scrub. Here is the link:

Here is a link that might be useful: Alabama marble

• oldhouse1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

lucypwd -Thanks for your thoughts. Sounds like honed is definately the way to go.

trailrunner -Thanks for the link. The slabs are gorgeous. I was just looking at your coffee station last night. I love your kitchen..and your recipes. I loved the bread thread. Would love to see more!

• rococogurl
    13 years ago

All my counters are marble. We've sealed them and they get a polish every other week with the sealer-extender.

After a year and a half there are etches, no stains, but it's not easy to spot them. We're careful but the sealer handles most issues.

The only small thing I'm less than thrilled with is the three small dings on the inside lip of the sink. I was in hospital when the sink went down and the fabricator had some problems with the sink I bought, which was to be undermounted, and had to be replaced. I expect that's why they went with a 1/16" negative reveal. I had wanted 0 or flush.

That could be solved by using a sink with the diagonal setback or one that needs a positive reveal.

I'd started out with plans for Calcatta but the cost was prohibitive. I went with a gorgeous marble with similar coloring that was much less but not sure it's as hard as one of the carraras or danby.

• corrie22
    13 years ago

I'm not as prone to be embarrassed by asking stupid questions as I used to be, so here goes....

Have any of you guys tried etching you marble on purpose?

That might not make sense, what I mean is since marble is going to show wear/etching, just go on and etch the whole thing right off the bat?

Corrie

• adel97
    13 years ago

My Imperial Danby island countertop is being installed this week and I can't wait!

oldhouse, I tried the lemon rehoning method on the samples from my slab that I played with for a while to get comfortable with the etching issues. Rubbing a cut lemon on the surface does etch, but the point is that it does so consistently, so it blends all the prior etches. I do wonder what effect this has on the stone if it's done too often, though. But for a twice a year "rehoning" I think it's probably fine (or at least that's my plan and I'm sticking to it!)

• User
    13 years ago

oldhouse: thank you that is very sweet of you ! I am glad you enjoyed the pics. There are a LOT of pics of breads on the photobucket food album. We need to get together and cook !! c

• prill
    13 years ago

I love this thread. I'm with boxer pups-- my next house will have marble countertops.

• remodelfla
    13 years ago

I see someone already mentioned alabamamommy's island It's like nothing I have ever seen... the combo of the walnut and marble is nothing short of spectacular!!

I hope it's OK I share the picture. It's so GOREOUS

I dont know if this even helps you at all but you can see how beautiful the marble and wood look together.

• rococogurl
    13 years ago

corrie, very logical question. Etching happens without much help. I don't see any reason to fuss with the marble beyond what's going to happen to it naturally if I don't.

• corrie22
    13 years ago

rococo, thanks
    I'm planning on having marble on a very large island. Around 4-5ft by 10ft. The back side will not get much wear at all, but the front side will. Even honed, that would show a lot of wear on one side and not the other.
    I was just wondering, since it's going to do that, why not even the wear out and just go on and etch the whole thing from the get go. Sorta blend it all in.

Is that possible??

Corrie

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

I can't help myself I have to share these marble wood
    combos. Even if you don't go with wood at least see
    how pretty your original idea could be.
    ~boxer

Craft Art

Chelsea Ct.

Small Bone

Spring Hill Farm

New England Stone Danby Marble

This Old House

• chris11895
    13 years ago

I Loooooove my marble counters. We had them honed based on the advice of everyone on this site :-). I also had the distributors give me the old "You don't want marble in your kitchen, yadda yadda yadda" shpeel and I ignored them. We sealed it and haven't had any issues. Some slight etching, but I don't really notice it unless I stare hard. Anyhow, here is a picture from when we just about finished with our kitchen, but not quite. Note that I have since added color through accessories so it doesn't look so white :-)

Oh and if you are going to do wood counters with a marble island, well a look I love is when people do an island base that matches their wood floor with a marble top :-)

• oldhouse1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

rococogurl -What sealer do you use? You seem to have a few kitchens on here. The one on the FKB seems to have stainless and I know I've seen your other one somewhere (I think it was a beautiful grey/taupe) I can't seem to find it again. Is that the one with the marble? I think you had a Liebher fridge. We got one as well.

corrie22 -Good luck with your search. Let us know what you decide.

sharonite -Yeah...you must post pictures once it's in.

prill -Maybe you can get a big piece of marble to roll out dough on to get your marble fix.

remodelfla -I know, that kitchen is to die for. How are your soapstone counters? I love soapstone but it is so expense here.

boxerpups -You've done it again! I'm leaning towards marble perimeters and wood work island table. Thanks for the encouragement.

chris11895 -Your kitchen is beautiful! I'm also thinking of doing a marble subway tile behind the range. Did you do honed there as well?

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

Bumping for Roccogurl's sealer.

• sayde
    13 years ago

I remember that Rococogurl's sealer was Akemi Nano.

• mythreesonsnc
    13 years ago

I often see posts about Carrera and Calacutta marbles --- has anybody done Crema Marfil? Is it really a "true" marble?

I had a granite in mind for my master bath and there isn't enough of it. On my revisit to the stone yard I was once again attracted to the soothing qualities of crema marfil --- only a tiny bit of veining, very consistent, with once in a while fossils. It looks very pretty. My other granite choices just didn't seem to work as well with the fabrics and cabinets that I have in mind. The crema marfil would make a very monochromatic look, but it would allow my pretty windows to shine and would hopefully all just look pretty together. But, I came home, jumped on GW and saw so little about it that it worries me!

Don't mean to hijack, I'm just hoping somebody has experience with this stone!

Here is a picture of the combo --- the creamy color will be my cabinets, the dark brown paint and then the fabrics are window seat and window treatment. The little glass crackle tile would be periodic in the floor. I could do crema marfil floor tile as well, but again, not much info!

BTW, kateskouros, if I had an island like your gorgeous island, I'd be propped up on it making margaritas!

• lovediy
    13 years ago

Hi, mythreesonsnc,

We used Crema Marfil in the master bath (countertop only) and loved it. Never had any issues with staining, etching, etc.

• momto4kids
    13 years ago

Sorry, I couldn't figure out how to downsize the picture! This is a very old picture...2004 right after we moved in.

I still love our marble. I have a few etches, but they are hard to spot. I wouldn't change my decision at all, and I got all the warnings and negativity from the naysayers. It's honed Calacatta Oro, about 140 sq ft total in my kitchen. The two islands are 6ft by 6 ft ("the big island" as we call it) and 4 ft by 6ft (the prep island).

I had all my marble rehoned shortly after we moved in. The fabricator did a lousy honing job. The builder had it rehoned in place. I think it cost about $2,500. So, I know, down the road, if we sell, if I find the counters need it...I won't hesitate to rehone in place for the new owner. Not a big deal.

Good luck!!

• coastal_modern_love
    13 years ago

OK, I am seeing a lot of honed counter tops on this thread and I originally wanted honed carrara but... my fabricator talked me into polished as well.

HELP! It is not too late to change- What to do???? Honed or polished PLEASE!

• lascatx
    13 years ago

You can hone it in place easier than polish it, so if in doubt, try it polished. I prefer it honed.

I had to chuckle to myself reading this thread again. I think my marble is less fuss than my mom's white Corian was 2 houses ago for her or the white laminate was for me in my last house. Those puppies both stained and required more care on a regular basis and they are sold for easy they are.

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

Coastal--don't let them talk you out of what you want. Honed has been done here time and time again with great results. I trust the opinions here.

• coastal_modern_love
    13 years ago

Thanks breezygirl, honed it is! Wow these pics are so inspiring, I actually decided based on these beauties!

• babushka_cat
    13 years ago

momto4kids -

your kitchen is to die for - the marble is stunning. i have also chosen Calacatta Oro, thanks for confirming my selection by viewing your beautiful countertops!

• lascatx
    13 years ago

Every time this thread pops up, I am grabbed by the blue ceiling in that photo with the Danby marble that boxerpups posted. I love it, but it wouldn't be the same without the woodwork and overall it's too formal for my house -- but I do love that one.

Ah well, have my one wall of blue cabinets and my marble. Not complaining. Just enjoying. Carry on.....

• beekeeperswife
    13 years ago

I need to move. I need marble counters. And I need them now.