Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jama123

Etching Carrara Marble

jama123
14 years ago

My fabricator told me that my carrara marble island will not etch if it is sealed with Stone Tech Bulletproof sealer and if I mop up spills "as I go."

I just read sfmomof2's account (linked below)where she found that sealed carrara marble etched from vinegar after 5 minutes. So now I am seriously questioning my fabricator's claims.

Does anyone have experience keeping carrara marble etch free by diligently mopping up stains or should I just expect etching no matter what?

Is it possible that my fabricator uses a superior sealer to the one sfmomof2 used and that could account for the different results (she used Miracle 511)? Thank you!

Here is a link that might be useful: Head to Head Marble Test With Photos. Surprise Ending!

Comments (16)

• jama123
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you, marcolo!

• lascatx
    14 years ago

There are one or two relatively new products that have been developed to claim to protect marble and other stones from etching. I don't know the Bullet Proof, but I don't think it is one of them. There is one called Dry Treat or Dri Treat that has to be applied by an approved/trained professional installer (ie, you can't reapply yourself). I got a sample of a marble treated with that one to see if it was worth the big price tag and I wouldn't have it in my house. It coats the stone with a plastic-like film. I would rather have laminate that ruin the marble.

• Stacey Collins
    14 years ago

It will etch!!! I think even with one of those treatments (like lascatz I think it would ruin the marble's appeal for me to have that on my Cararra), I'd think that at some point something is still going to etch it. And if you aren't going to be OK with that eventuality, it'll be a big disappointment to you.

Can you go look at a real-life marble countertop? I went and saw an acquaintance's kitchen while I was deciding. I saw the etching. I decided I still loved the marble :)

Good luck.

• sfmomof2
    14 years ago

I'd urge you to get a sample, seal it, etch it yourself and look at it where your countertops will be. The look of etching varies greatly by slab and by the light that's hitting it. Then there's your subjective feelings about it. Good luck!

• kitchendetective
    14 years ago

It etches. That's okay for some of us, not for others. DH and I had different opinions about the acceptability of etches for an all over, large surface area. I love it, he doesn't. What we did was a compromise. I used a white marble only on a lowered surface on my island, where I prepare baked goods, that is not visible from all vantage points in the kitchen. This has worked out well for us. When we were choosing surfaces (five years ago) every stone vendor and many articles talked against marble in kitchens. Martha Stewart had an article in which she discussed how she has someone come out once a year to re-hone her white marble counter tops. That article was the kiss of death for DH. It's a matter of your personal sensibilities: if the etches speak to you, go for marble; if they bother you, move along to another surface.

• lucypwd
    14 years ago

It is going to etch regardless. You can seal it with porous plus 511 to prevent stains, but it will still etch.

• jeri
    14 years ago

Martha Stewart had an article in which she discussed how she has someone come out once a year to re-hone her white marble counter tops. That article was the kiss of death for DH.

What would something like that cost? Is there any way a DIY'er could re-hone their own marble counters?

• jama123
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I am really grateful for the comments!! If we choose marble at least we know now what we are going to get ourselves into. It is a tough choice. The marble would be on a small island in the middle of the room, under pendant lights, lots of sunlight - there would be no escaping the etches . . .

What a great idea to put it out of sight on a two level island, kitchendetective, - unfortunately it is too late for that for us - the cabinets are ordered.

Very frustrating! I just cant seem to figure out countertops. I have spent so much time on this it is crazy.

• kitchendetective
    14 years ago

I'm not sure about the cost of re-honing. The big issue is that we are in a rural area where it is difficult to get service people out on a reliable basis. They often tend to be a bit careless with the surrounding area, too. The plumber who drops a wrench on the granite, etc. There was a poster on here years ago who honed her own marble counter with a vinegar solution. If you're bold enough, you can do it yourself. I would want to do plenty of experimental pieces first, though. Also, after enough etches occur, you basically have an aged surface. It's the partially etched surface that is the most bothersome, to me, anyhow.

• rococogurl
    14 years ago

My fabricator claimed to have sealed my marble counters with Bulletproof but after liquid soap etched I went over them with another product. Much better results.

I have poured vinegar on the counters to see the result but it beaded up and did not etch. Nor did wine or coffee cause etching. Liquid soap has been the main culprit though there are some etches, which are inevitable.

Carrara is really durable marble. It's used in pastry kitchens and takes a beating. If you want something that will look perfect all the time, go with an engineered stone or a granite.

Those of us who have marble and don't mind the wearing and patina are happy with it. If that sort of thing bothers you, don't go for it. There are many other beautiful counter materials.

• atlbeardie
    14 years ago

No fair rococogurl! I don't have marble countertops in my kitchen (ok, they're in the bath), but we all still want to know what allowed vinegar, wine and coffee to bead up and is only etched by liquid soap (which one?). Details please...?

• cat_mom
    14 years ago

I'm pretty sure rococogurl is talking about the Akemi Nano sealer. She had recommended it to me recently.

Another sealer that came highly recommended by Kevin (azstone) and a bunch of guys over on John Bridge forums, is STT SB sealer. No personal experience with either one as yet.

• jt534444
    6 years ago

I have beautiful honed AND etched marble. i read about Tuffskin marble protector which is a new product (you tube has a video) that i am going to try because i will die from stress if i see one more etched mark on my counter.(i have very few)however it may not work on my textured product! The rep will be here on Friday.

(the video also shows it covering all currently etched marks. we will see)

i will Report!

JT

• Helen
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

My friend has this marble and her household is not careful. I don't see the etching unless she points it out to me. But as others have pointed out, it will either bother you or not - she doesn't mind the look of a counter that is "aged" - think French brasserie.

Aesthetics are important to me but I don't want to be a slave to my kitchen counter so if I loved the look of this marble, I would be fine with the etching that is inevitably going to occur.

Have you considered some of the manmade solid surfaces as some of them now duplicate the look of marble to an amazing degree without the specific maintenance issues of marble. If I absolutely wanted marble, was worried about etching and didn't want to pamper my counter, I would probably go this route.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

jt534444:

Stoneguard is 25% thicker than Tuffskin, 5 mils vs. 4 mils and isn't from the window tinting industry.