Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kathy50_gw

HELP!! Two Year Old Kitchen Layout Is Not Working

kathy50
13 years ago

Our existing kitchen is 12x12 with another 12x12 eating area.

My main problem with the existing kitchen is that the peninsula boxes me in and makes that section a one person area. Also the peninsula is too close to the refrigerator and therefore no one can pass if the door is open. Lastly, we never thought we would be entertaining so much so we are looking for ways to have a little more room and a better flow.

We are thinking of moving the back wall of the kitchen out 12 feet to make a morning room (12' X 12'). Our table would be there and then we would have the present table area to have an island (off center) where we would have a prep sink (maybe 20' x 18'), garbage - recycle, dishwasher. This would keep everyone out of the main kitchen area. Cleanup would be done on the island (dishwasher would be moved from the present area near the main sink (now used for pots and pan cleanup).

Although we recognize that Islands are normally less off center (in both the length & width of the kitchen, this can't be accomplished with the un-alterable width of our kitchen (just under 12'), so we have to expand out length-wise. This also accounts for the small Island counter-top -- only 3' x 6', which assures that the minimum passage way around the Island and into or out of the kitchen (to the LR, Morning Room, Porch and Deck) is never less than 40', and up to 4' plus.

The wall across from the island would house a 7 foot beverage area with a wine cooler, beverage refrigerator and a microwave drawer (all under counter). Drawer under the microwave would house all the dishes for dining in the morning room. (The diagram does not show the microwave drawer but it would be between the wine cooler and refrigerator. Also, the upper center cabinet would have space for wine but would be raised 6 inches above side cabinets and would be set back 6 inches -- as opposed to what the current diagram shows). The 7' beverage counter would also have our coffee maker and toaster on it -- trying to insure that our breakfast and informal eating supplies are as close to the new Morning Room addition as possible.

Any layout thoughts would be appreciated before we tackle this renovation. Thanks. Kathy

Here is a link that might be useful: kitchen

Comments (9)

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

Do you have a plan of the present kitchen area, and how much of the present layout would stay? This current layout has some real function problems as well, but I don't want to address it specifically until I understand what part of this is existing and what part of it is the new plan.

• kathy50
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The present kitchen is everything from the refrigerator to the right and the peninsula to the right(the peninsula will be removed).Everything must stay except for the dishwasher (next to the sink) which will be moved to the island. Where the 7 foot beverage center is in the new plan is now a blank wall (with the dining table there, we could not have anything on that wall).

• Buehl
    13 years ago

An actual layout of the space would really help...existing or new, either one.

Have you had a chance to read the "Read Me" thread? It talks about information that we need to help you with this type of request. Scroll down to the "Layout Help" topic.

Here is a link that might be useful: Read Me If You're New To GW Kitchens!

• kathy50
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The link below will show the present kitchen and 3 photos of the new plan

Here is a link that might be useful:

• kathy50
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sorry - link in original post now shows all 4 views.
    Kathy

• blfenton
    13 years ago

Just one quick comment. It would bother me having the DW away from dish/cutlery/glass storage for when you are emptying the DW. So many people forget that the DW isn't only about loading it in the cleanup area - it is also about emptying it near your dish, glass and cutlery storage.
    My DW is near my cleanup sink and when I empty my DW I don't have to walk one step to empty glasses, dishes or cutlery. If I do have enough room at the end of the day for a pot or tray I do have to walk to put it away but that's it.

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

I think that the revised layout adds space to the kitchen but not a lot of functionality for the effort. I would consider moving the refrigerator to the Left in the new kitchen and creating more space around the cooktop. You should be able to come up with a balanced but asymmetrical upper cabinet arrangement that works and looks good.

Too much space is given to the new appliance and wine bar area and with a possible shift in cleanup location, this area should probably be your primary dish storage area.

Have you tried a plan that doesn't have an island but extends the existing counter straight or angled to mimic the other angle? I realize this gets into the entry into the LR. Since you dislike the existing layout enough to remodel part of the house, I think you need to make some bigger changes to the existing rather than just extending off to one side. With a kitchen so new, you should be able to mix new and existing cabinets in the same style with out their being noticeably different, I would think.

• kathy50
    Original Author
    13 years ago

BUMP