Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Banquette plans

Posted by mvd80 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 12, 13 at 8:55

After thinking about it for a while, the wife and I decided to sell our kitchen table to replace with new table and a banquette bench. I've been looking at the pictures and plans that people have posted on here for a while. Also saw this on DIYnetwork.
http://www.diynetwork.com/how-to/how-to-build-a-banquette-storage-bench/index.html

I think the DIYnetwork plans look a little flimsy compared to framing it out with 2x4s. Can anyone provide any thoughts on that. Also any response with plans or pictures of how you built your banquette are appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Banquette plans

If you search the old posts here (with google) there have been some good long banquette threads--this one has some detailed specs from Igloochic as well as KKelly's beloved morgue drawers:

Here is a link that might be useful: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0517485121309.html

o

My banquette bench is sort of U-shaped (set in a bay window) and is not framed out with 2 x 4's. It was professsionally built by my cabinet maker using 3/4'' plywood.

Here is one that was built with 2x4's. I believe it is from GW but I don't know to whom it belongs.

o

I just posted a bunch of pics of our banquette in progress. It's nearly done. Perhaps some of the progress pics will explain a step or 2.

I initially drew what I wanted out on graph paper with the sizes etc... and then when we actually started doing it, it was a constant re-adjustment for real life situation.

definitely angle the back. Much more comfortable.

we framed it out in 2x4's. VERY STURDY!!! (with 4 young kids, you've got to build it tough!)

o

lawjedi. Can you please give me the name of the thread with your banquette pics or post the link here so I can find it? Thanks.

o

I found some great information on building a banquette on finehomebuilding.com. Ours was built with a 2x4 base.
This is before final paint, but otherwise complete.

This post was edited by kfhl on Wed, Feb 13, 13 at 10:51

o

kfhl:
Like the look of yours. That's about what I'm going for. I found the finehomebuilding plans this morning, but I don't have a membership and don't want to purchase just yet.

o

@island
Here you go, I was just looking at the post earlier.
Hope I linked correctly.

Here is a link that might be useful: Almost done & sharing banquette pics

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here