Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Banquette anyone?

Posted by coleen3201118 (My Page) on
Mon, May 7, 07 at 17:48

DH and I are discussing seating for our kitchen. He likes the kitchen table and chairs whereas I think a banquette is the way to go - I'm not opposed to keeping a round table, but I like the seating better (for at least 2 walls). After all, when we go out to eat I always go for the "booth" type of seat. Does anybody have a banquette or an opinion on one and is there any reason I may come to regret pushing this? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Banquette anyone?

We're putting one in. A U-shaped one even though the middle section backs up on a bay window and the back in that part will need to be very low. We're doing it because we think it will be cozier and also because we'll get a ton of storage out of it. And that's what's sorely needed in our galley-type kitchen.

Our banquette will have one face with a door that opens on the front to a long deep drawer for storage of my largest stock pots and pans. The middle section will have a top that lifts up to a large open box where large, seldom used appliances like deep fryers and ice cream makers will go. The the remaining side will open up with a door on the front to disclose two shallow but long drawers where linens will go.

I can't wait! I acknowledge that the middle section with the low back won't be ideal seating but we can reserve that spot for when the table's really full. Mostly, it will be my husband and I sitting opposite one another. Next option will be pulling up a chair or two on the fourth side before we have to use the middle section for seating. I think I'll have loose cushions available to make that more comfortable when that time comes.

o

We're thinking of putting one in also! I'm thinking maybe we can make it out of short cabinets (think refrigerator toppers) and reinforce the corners. Really interestd in seeing any photos -- not too many on the FKB & I've been Googling this for months will little success.

Thanks!
dmoh

o

imrainey certainly makes a convincing argument for banquettes. In my dinky kitchen, it would also keep me from banging my toes on loose chairs that never seem to get tucked in. And you can't complain about extra storage!

o

I *really* wanted to do a banquette but it really wouldn't have been ideal with our space. My dream kitchen has one, though! :-)

Athomedad has one (linked below).

Candace Olsen (on Divine Design) does a lot of banquettes... here's one.

You can look at other pics from her show but others don't show the banquettes very well.

Kenneth Brown does them a bunch, too. Check out this and this and this.

Yeah, I've thought about this a little...

Amy

Here is a link that might be useful: athomedad's kitchen in the FKB

o

I hope I'll have some pix soon. We've been waiting a long time for our cabs and are currently in a holding pattern until they go in.

o

I have two. One window seat in the kitchen and one used for dining/music room. Both DIY. We have storage in the window seat. Karen

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

o

When you diy how do you determine how high to make the seating area from the floor? me and my husband keep pickering over the height.

o

I'm also seriously considering adding a banquette in my kitchen. A table and 2 benches are another option. My question is, how, and/or what do you use to make the cushions?

o

Height of the the banquette seating was determined by comfortable chair height for the dining room. Of course take into account the cushion height. Cushions are kind difficult. Sewing box cushions is doable if your comfortable with sewing. I upholster mine even though I sew a bit. I use a thin piece of luan under the foam and batting and staple the fabric in place underneath to the luan. The cushions on the window seat above were quickly duct taped until I had the chance to do the upholstering. I tend to change things often so I do the least labor intensive approach.
Karen

o

Mine (in a bay window) will be 19 inches deep and the boxes (cabinets) will be 16.5 inches high. This gives me room for a 2" cushioned seat under our kitchen table (an antique that I didn't want to let go of). The size was determined after weeks and weeks of trial and error, and ended up being the same as the chairs that we have around the table heh heh

You want to tape out the area you're thinking of making a banquette if you can so you can see how the table really sits in there, and then "make" some seats using boxes, or whatever you can figure out using the dimensions that make sense (mine are pretty standard). Then you can see if there is room to slide in and out easily.

We have an open U that is a little longer on one side. The left cabinet opens up towards the room, then there is a door that hides a V shaped area (because of the bay window) and then another drawer that opens towards the table bottom (long term storage obviously, but our table rolls out so that's not a huge issue). Then another door hiding a V and then a large drawer opening towards the table...then finally an odd shaped drawer that faces the room which is 19" deep on one side and 24 on the other (so it's at an angle) which transitions into the cabinets on that wall. It gives you a nice slide in area.

The seat will be 20" deep (from wall to front lip) with a 3" back leaning (3" at the bottom and 1" at the top). The amount of extra storage it adds is AMAZING and in our townhome, that's very valuable. It also allows for guests to sit while we're cooking and chat but be out of the way (we entertain a lot so every function was considered with guests in mind). The seats overhang to keep down on the kicking of little feet on the doors, but I am building them out of hard wood just to be safe. They also allow you to slide in without catching a handle on the back of your leg if you're a grownup :)

My pads will be made by myself (I'm a huge sewer) out of a rediculously expensive fabric that looks like leather, but sews like a simple thick cotton. ($65 per yard) I was doing silk in the banquette, but then the baby was born and I realized silk and babies don't mix as well as you'd like :)

This fabric can be wiped down and while I know you're thinking it's "pleather" it's really not. It feels like very expensive italian leather, soft and luxurious, but is easy to work with and keep nice. I'll add some fancy cushions in silk and other tapestries to keep the seat interesing looking.

We look out onto a lake (which just thawed yesterday yeaaaa!!!) so draperies will be minimal.

o

wow thanks for all the info igloochic

o

AFter all the time we spent working this out there should be a charge LOL but I feel for anyone trying to get to the right answer. We had such a hard time! I feel better if I can help someone get started at least LOL

It's soooo much easier if you don't force yourself into a table decision in advance heh heh, but my great grandfater made mine, so I can't give it up. A simple one post base would be easier to work with, but ours is one post, with big hairy claw feet :)

o

Can't beat claw feet for style! Sure, they can be hard to work with, but you have claw feet!

o

On another note, anyone have or seen a "counter-height" banquette? I found counter-height benches, but I've never seen a true cabinet-formed banquette at "counter-height." Would love to see any pics that anyone may have.

dmoh

o
RE: Banquette anyone? (Pic)

I am doing a banquette for my tiny kitchen (actually had to sit in the sink base cabinet to take this picture.) My contractor had a great idea on storage: He said that most people don't use the storage when it has the hinged top (too much of a pain to remove cushions and move table.) He suggested adding long drawers!

Karencon - Thanks for the idea on making cushions.

o

I've been thinking of this upholstered banquette however this Ballard one has no storage but is priced reasonably. To me it looks more comfortable then the wood ones but the idea of storage drawers is really enticing.

So what I want is a COMFORTABLE banquette upholstered (preferably with an easy to clean surface) with storage.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ballard Upholstered

o

Funny this topic started as I just began my research a few days ago and built mine over the weekend, just finished today. I just moved into my NYC loftlike space and am now making improvements.

I had a huge pine wall cabinet in what is going to be in my small dining area that I originally was planning to tear down and throw out, but it is attached (or rather embedded) to the wall. I didn't want to part with the beautiful wood -- not to mention the demolishing and rebuilding of that portion of the wall -- so I decided to turn it into a banquette. It was an 8' x 9' wall unit with six 13" inch deep shelves. I used all and only the original wood to make the banquette which helped because of their original sizes, the shelves being the base and the seating. I only have two short unused pieces (nice!). I uphostered my cushions today and with some throw pillows it looks great. The back of what was the cabinet makes a perfect background for nicer shelving, hanging pictures, a sconce or whatever, and with a little inner lighting, it glows of the natural color.

Anyways, will post pics when it is done, but thought I'd share this helpful video some of you may have already seen and it helped me a lot with construction. The ones posted above were very helpful too, thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Creative Banquette Saves Kitchen Space

o

My DH made a booth and we had a local upholsterer make cushions for both the seats and the backs (3" foam for the seats, 2" for the backs). It was very comfortable. DH will be making a booth with an L shape for the new kitchen once it's done.

One comfort tip is to tilt both the seat and the back slightly toward the back. We tilted ours a bit (about an inch from the top of the back to the bottom, (it was a pretty high back), but even more tilt would have been better.

If you have a tight space, a booth is definitely the way to go. Our space was about 7-1/2 feet wide, and we tried many sizes and shapes of tables with chairs before we figured out the booth solution.

o

Here's a compromise banquette, round table that I have in my inspiration file.

o

kitchenkelly - yours is exactly what I have in mind! Some nice cushions and it will be perfect. I also love the storage drawer idea - you can never have too much storage!

o

That is really nice. Lots of good ideas here, including one on Kepa's video for using the back corner as a sort of secret storage compartment.

Just another thought to throw in, if there's room, would be putting a deeper seat on one side for lounging. We're doing a lemonade-from-lemons thing that way because, like Igloochic's, our windows along the back short side of our L come down low, so no comfortable back on that side. So since we have the room, we're making the window seat deeper there, which will allow me room to lounge comfortably sideways and enjoy the view out and also provide room for visiting grandkids to play, or even nap, there if it comes to that while the rest of us chat.

Kepa, please do post pictures when you can. Your banquette sounds really nice.

o

Kelly, thanks for posting that picture. It's exactly what I wanted to have to show our Contractor. (I have to show him how the back should look since he's building that).

Our back will fall lower, but still you've almost exactly got it! :) (Just curve it and make it longer and umm it's there LOL)

Even though it's going to be upholstered, I wanted a nice finish look, and yours is definately there :)

I'm toying with painting the seat the same color as the window frame (a deep chocolate) to break up the cherry in the kitchen. I have much research to do on that LOL

o

Kelly, that's great. Are those the drawers that come out the ends and are long and narrow, like uh...morgue drawers? (No offense--I really like it!)

o

We have a banquette in our guest room that my DH built. It has hinges for storage. I made box cushions for it. It's a very cozy spot.

If you have children or are a messy eater at all, I would recommend laminating the fabric for the cushions, whether you attach them to the seat as described above or make/have made box cushions (caution: sewing with laminated fabric is challenging). Most nice fabric stores will laminate any fabric you choose. I saved $ using a company in SC (see link below).

I sent them my fabric and they sent it back laminated. It is a nice, soft, matte finish. So now they just wipe off and will last a long time.

Here is a link that might be useful: IPA Southern Fabric Laminating

o

I really like the idea of drawers! I didn't think kitchenkelly had put hers in yet until fori mentioned the 'morgue drawers'! How long can you make those without compromising stability?

Krabbypatty, do you have pics of your laminated fabric? It sounds like a great idea!

o

We did a curved banquette in the kitchen, which is made out of the same material as the kitchen cabinets. I had an upholsterer make the seat cushions, and then I bought pillows at Restoration Hardware. The banquette has 3 drawers, which are handy. It is comfortable to sit on and saves space because the table can be closer to the wall.

o
RE: Banquette anyone? with morgue drawers

MORGUE drawers!! MORGUE drawers! Oh my gosh, that really cracked me up, Fori. And yes, the morgue drawers pull out the whole length of the bench.

jewleita, they installed some heavy duty glider/slider hardware so they seem very sturdy. I am going to store a 40 lb bag of dog food on one side. Really needed the exta storge.

igloochic, I love the idea of painting yours a dark color. You are fun. I am a wuss. Painting them white like the cabinets (but the table will be dark for contrast. I know you love the contrast.)

Krabbypatty, I would like to see the laminated fabric (you know with all the blood in the morgue drawers - sounds like a good idea.)

o

Seriously, the morgue drawers are a great idea~ hey, if they can hold a 40lb bag of dog food, they will work for me! Love it. If we end up doing a banquette, I want kitchnkelly's morgue drawers!

LMAO about the laminated fabric of morgue drawer fluids....hehehehe

o

This may give you get an idea of the glider hardware and size of the drawers. Hope it helps.

o

LMAO Kelly...we have two of these long drawers as part of our banquette...I can't wait until halloween now :)

o

Couldn't resist. Had to do it.

o

LMAO kk! That is too funny. I am so glad I came looking for this thread today!
lol lol lol

o

DH took the digital camera to work today. I will post pics of the laminated fabric cushions tomorrow.

BTW, with those morgue drawers looks like you'll need to get some heavy duty drawer liners!

o

So Kelly...where's that husband of yours? ::evil cackle:: Oh he's in the kitchen..... ::more evil cackling::

o

You know what they say.....good friends help you move. GREAT friends help you move the body.

o

Eek!

They really do look great, but you may want to look into refrigeration for some things.

o

krappypatty, good idea....drawer lines are on the shopping list.

igloochic, no husband here. I am a single gal. And I'm thinking that having "morgue drawers" in the house might not help things. A bit of a turn off, don't ya think?

toomuchstuph, what you said......Exactly!!

fori, I am still not talking to you. You said I have morgue drawers!

o

KitchenKelly, I nearly spit my drink! First you sit in the sink base for the pic, then you put a body in the drawer! LMAO! Love this site! :)

Mary

o

Well Kelly, it's certainly not a first date reveal :p But (perhaps) a last heh heh

o

Exactly! It would go something like this:

Hi. My name is kitchenkelly. What's yours? Wanna see my morgue drawers?

And they run like h*ll.

o

KK, they might not run too fast....it all depends on what you have in those drawers ;)

o

Kelly, this thread just cracks me up! You are never gonna look at those drawers the same way again ;-) Little did your contractor know he's gone down in infamy!

o

I love those drawers but I suspect many of us don't have the clearance to open them. Kelly, you may have to stand in your sink to get pictures, but at least you can access your bodie--I mean dog food!

Inspirational but I can't use them. Grr.

Got me thinking, though.

o

Hey krabbypatty, any progress on the pics of the laminated fabric? Bad week for me with the subs. Morgue drawers might be getting some action. Concerned about evidence.....

o

I no longer have my laminated seat cushions, but I'd like to attest to their durability. Ours lasted 19 years in a very busy kitchen setting. What a dream to just wipe them up after feeding 3 kids. We had an expensive Schumacher fabric for the kitchen window treatments and had the same material laminated for the chairs and stools.

Right now our cushions are being re upholstered to go with our new kitchen and I'm using Crypton fabric - they use it in nursing homes and is just about stain proof.

o

Thank you so much for the info, mcmann. I checked out the site and it is way cool! I love the Wegman collection with the pooches. I think that a room should have some whimsy and this fabric would add it.

I am adding the link for others. I might start a post in the home decorating site, too.

The morgue drawers are getting some fun cushions. Now, if I only knew how to sew.....

Here is a link that might be useful: Crypton fabric

o

um...CRYPTon fabrics? are you kidding me??????

o

I forgot the URL to my on-line photos, but here is the woodworkers webpage that shows my kitchen banquette. No drawers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Banquette

o

Fori - I did not even catch that until you pointed it out. That is too funny. Oh well, my crypt samples are on there way.

o
RE: Banquette anyone? Hey?

You have me thinking now. Does that mean that I have a "theme" kitchen?

o

Indeed you do, but it's a very subtle theme! Perhaps you need to add this fixture from rejuvenation:

Here is a link that might be useful: rejuvenation's

o

LMAO!!! Oh my gosh. Now that's a keeper. I am officially no longer upset with you for saying I have morgue drawers.

(I guess I will be hosting the neighborhood Halloween party each year.)

o
RE: crypton fabric samples

Some of my Crypton fabric samples are here! I think it is so fun. I think my morgue drawers need some whimsy.

o

I'm making sure this informative thread isn't lost forever and I want to know what sort of morbid fabric KKelly has selected.

Anyone else have banquettes?

o

Hey Fori, I missed your post above. Came back here to get instructions that Karencon gave on making non-sew cushions. Informative thread, huh? I think it started out that way. LOL.

Anyway, I still want the cryton fabric. It is $85 dollars a yard and I don't sew. Once I can find someone to sew them for me I will order it. I actually went to Wal-mart today and got some interim material that will work for awhile. I am going to try the non-sew technique.

o

I can't believe I missed this thread!!!! You guys crack me up!

o

I'm planning an upholstered one to be covered with leather-like material, with the upholstered part built-in, tufted back, etc., as you might see in a restaurant booth. My cabinet maker is making some base cabinets for the upholstered part to sit upon.

Has anyone done one like this? I'm wondering where to have the upholstered part (which I assume would have internal springs like a sofa)built.

I am in the Seattle area. Does anyone know what companies might do this sort of thing in the area (or anywhere)? I've seen a few sites on the Web, and we have one local company that does restaurant work--but they only do limited residential work on a time available basis.

I've thought of calling upholsterers, but really it would involve more than just covering something with fabric (the "something" must also be built, almost like building the top of a sofa to sit on the cabinet bases..Any ideas/recommendations?

o

just keeping this good thread alive....

o

do you have photos of the finished cushions?
this is a great thread!

o

The new Fine Homebuilding Kitchen & Bath issue is out and has an article about booths. It talks about sizing, cushions,storage,building,etc.

o

sleepydrj, I don't have a close up pic. Plus I haven't bought the cute doggie fabric yet. I followed Karencon's advice on duct taping them.

o

We just had a small space - not big enough for an 'L-bench' or round table, so we put a bench along the wall. The grandchildren and cats love the cushioned bench - it's a real hit!

o

I finally got around to taking pictures of ours. It was finished after the kitchen was done, and took forever for the table and chairs to arrive, but now I can share pics. It is not IN the kitchen, but in the adjacent family room, and this is where we eat most of our meals. The kids like sitting on the cushions and fight for who gets that side of the table.

Here it is in context of the rest of the room, with our newly re-tiled fireplace. I just posted pictures of that in another thread about copper slate tiles.

Here is a link that might be useful: thread about copper slate backsplash

o

needanap - your house is beautiful!

o

needanap - can you tell me how deep the seating part is at the deepest part and how high off the ground the box is. Looks like it's the same height as the chair, which makes sense. Thanks

o

Yowza, needanap. That is stunning. Let's trade houses, please.

o

needanap--what an awesome seating/eating space, with all that wonderful sunshine streaming in! I'd be fighting for one of the "good" seats, too if I were there!

o

Thank you for the compliments! I'm really pleased with how everything turned out. I feel so grateful to have such a wonderful place to live. We enjoy it every day!

Malhgold, sorry for the delay in getting back to you with the measurements. The box height is 17 inches off the floor, and the cushions add another 4 inches. The chair seat heights are actually a bit higher, but not enough to be a problem. The seat depth is 27 inches, which is much deeper than you really need. In fact, it would be more comfortable for leaning back against the cushions if there was less depth, but we just double up the pillows when needed. Unfortunately, the boxes have no storage in them (built by previous owner). They obviously didn't know about morgue drawers! Only the window seat to one side of the fireplace has storage. You lift up the seat cushion, and the lid of the box lifts up like a toy chest.

o

Needanap: I also love your eating space and family room - absolutely lovely. I also love your kitchen so I could easily move into your house! Can you tell me if there is a particular brand of copper slate that you used? I love the look and would like to explore that option. Thanks again for sharing your house - well done!

o

Hi, i've been checking the postings the last few weeks because we are also seriously considering getting a L-shape banquette made for our remodeled kitchen. Our eating area is not very big especially since we have taken up some space in the eating area when we made our pennisula counter into an eating counter (larger counter space to accommodate leg room). I was very impressed with all the pictures i've seen here especially Needanap's and Kitchenkelly's. Beautiful banquettes!! I'm wondering about the table that goes with a L-shaped banquette. In my situation, i probably can only consider a rectangular one because of my lack of space and i probably would need to look for something narrower than 36". Does anyone know if tables of such narrow width are out there? Also, i'm wondering about table base....how important is it to get a pedestal base or trestle leg base vs. regular 4 legs for ease of getting into the benches? Kitchenkelly: how big is your round table and Needanap: how big is your table and where did you purchase it? Thanks so much and i look forward to reading more postings.

o

Hi hgtvbee, Thanks for the compliment. I think a pedestal or trestle leg is really helpful for getting in and out. If you have a table with legs at the corners I think it would work if you were able to pull it out for easy access. My table is small - only 36." I got it from Macy's. It is amazing how many different table choices are out there.

I don't really use the table that much (prefer sitting at the peninsula.) I think a square table with two chairs would be beneficial for a family that used it on a daily basis. I got the round because I liked the look. And the storage is so great with a banquette.

Good luck. And if you get a banquette, make sure you post your pics!

o

kitchenkelly: thanks for your comments. Your round table looks quite sharp with your banquette and i especially like how the pedestal leg looks (i noticed that right away when i first saw your photos). I most likely will have to look for a rectangular table because we are a family of 5 and although i love a round table, a 36" one won't be big enough for us and anything bigger than that in diameter will not fit in our space. I hope i can find a rectangular table that is no more than 36" in width with either a pedestal base or trestle leg. My husband originally was against the idea of us doing a banquette because i think he was thinking of the 70's old fashion nooks when i brought up the idea and it wasn't until i showed him some of the photos i found here and in some magazines that he finally gave in (your banquette and Needanap's banquette really helped out!). I'm going to talk to my kitchen cabinet guy this week to see if he can possibly do an L-shape banquette for me and to find out how much it's all going to cost, etc. I'm also thinking roughly of 4' X 6'. Is that about the size of yours?

thanks.

o

needanap..... oh, I am coveting your space. It is so open, bright, and lovely! Can I please ask... what is your flooring? I assume h/w -- can you tell me the material and finish?

Thank you!

Lis

o

hgtvbee, mine is only 3 1/2 feet by 4 feet. Your 4 by 6 sounds nice and roomy.

o

Kulagal, thanks for the compliments! I'm not sure what the brand of copper slate is - I got it from Tile America, though. I know there are different finishes/textures, some with more sheen than others, even from the same company (don't ask me how I know!). There is 1/2 a box left over in my garage, but it just says "premium natural stone" on the box, with no brand name.

hgtvbee, I agree with kitchenkelly that you are better off with a pedestal or trestle type table for a banquette, to make it easier to get in and out. We slide the table out and in frequently. It is heavy but has good glides on the bottom so it hasn't scratched up the floor (yet!) Ours is quite large, 84x42". I think a smaller, narrower table would be cozier, and more practical (easier to clean and climb around, and easier to slide in and out) but we had a large space to work with. I recently saw a lovely narrow trestle table in a catalog, which was not too expensive, but I tossed it and can't for the life of me remember which catalog it was.

Creekylis, the floor is oak, with a high gloss poly finish. It was installed by the previous owner and it looked like this when we moved in 10 years ago and have done nothing to it since! It has some scratches, but overall has held up beautifully.

o

Neednap, do you have more photos of your family room online? I am curious to see how it connects with the kitchen and where your TV is. Our family room will be smaller than yours but the layout is very similar, I would love to see how it worked out in your case.

Thank you!
annab6

o

Here are 2 more pics of the family room, from the banquette looking into the rest of the room. The TV is in the cabinet on the far wall between the windows (there are pocket doors). The kitchen is to the right at the near side of the room, closest to the banquette, and the dining room is to the right at the TV end of the room. The kitchen and dining room are connected to each other through a doorway. There is a large pass through (over the sink) and a wide doorway between kitchen and family room.

o

Neednap, thanks for the photos, you have a beautiful room!
I also like your banquette a lot. Does it look like a bump-out from the outside?

annab6

o

These are from Ballard, custom made with stain-resistant outdoor fabric. The tops lift up for storage. (There will eventually be a table between them!):

o

hoffman, those look soooooo comfortable. Make sure you come back and post when you get the table in there!

o

hoffman, I love your new kitchen. I think this banquette is very pretty.

o

I like them in theory, but hate getting 'stuck' inside so that someone else has to move to let me out... I'm a little claustrophobic.

Thought I'd share this shot from homedecorators.com: a different look, not expensive:

o

bump

o

Here's a budget idea I thought I'd share. I couldn't afford to do a custom-built banquette, so instead I used two IKEA tv benches. They were the perfect height and depth for sitting and have drawers for storage. It says there's a 220 lb weight limit, but they seem pretty sturdy and can be reinforced in the back. Plus, mine are mostly used by my kids.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80116600

Here's how they look in my kitchen. They'd look better with cushions, but for now, with small children, this is easier to clean.

Kitchen

o

What a GREAT idea! I've been toying with whether a bench is something I want to add - can't really tell til' we have ALL the old kitchen out of hte new dining area, but this is a wonderful solution if we decide to do that! Thanks for sharing :)

o

Here are some photos of my banquettes now that the table is in place:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

We're very happy with the whole set up -- our "booth" has become a favorite place to read the newspaper & work on the laptop, in addition to eating.

The benches are from Ballard Designs, custom made with outdoor (stain resistant) fabric I found on the internet. Table was bought years ago from Williams Sonoma, but they no longer sell it.

o

Hoffman - absolutely lovely. Love the way the stripe works with the marble top. You should bump up your finished kitchen thread and add this on. I'm sure everyone would love to see it.

BTW...not sure how many are in your family, but has there been an issue with the person on the "inside" needing to get out?

o

malhgold -- you are right -- that could be an issue! The grown-ups never go on the "inside" and right now our 3 kids are little enough to climb behind us when they want to get in & out but it will get harder as they get bigger. We used to have chairs in the same space, though, and there wasn't enough room to walk behind a chair, either, so this is the best set up for the space.

o

kitchenkelly - in your post, you say that your banquette measures 3 1/2' x 4'. Are these measurements from the wall to the ends of the banquette? The space that I have is also 3 1/2' x 4'.

Thank you.
Donna

o

Donna, mine is 3 1/2' x 4' if I don't count the corner section twice. Wall to wall is 4' x 5' (corner is 18".) Hope I didn't confuse anyone. You are right, I probably should have went wall to wall.

o

Kitchenkelly,

I am trying to build a U-shaped booth in my kitchen and came across the pictures of your banquette. That is beautiful and exactly what I am visioning. I was wondering if it wouldn't be too much trouble if I could ask you to take a bunch of pictures from different angles and close ups to give me a better idea of the construction. If it's easier you could email them to me at amcglinc@arinc.com

Thanks

o

Sure. I will do it later today. (batteries for camera are dead.)

o

OP here - we did wind up going with a banquette - we still need cushions for it - and window treatments! - and unfortunately it's not a great shot - kind of tight in there - but grinchmcg, it's a U shape one. Thought maybe it would give you an idea.

BTW, I'm sewing-challenged - where would I go to have cushions made for it? Any ideas would be appreciated!

Photobucket

o

Hey grinchmcg, I posted some pics on my picasa site. HTH.

Here is a link that might be useful: Morgue drawers

o

coleen - from what I can see your banquette is gorgeous! I love the richness of the wood - and where did you find that table?!

As far as having cushions made for it maybe you should post on the home decorating forum, they have lots of great advice and info over there. You could try small companies that make slipcovers or do reupholstery...

o

What an opportune time for this thread to crop up!! I've been thinking of having a banquette/table rather than the typical table/chairs.

I received my Ballards catalog in the mail, and like the idea of two rectangular benches and a corner bench~they can be purchased with or without storage space.

My plan was to use the idea in the breakfast/eating area of the kitchen, but am a little concerned about the size of the space. I wouldn't call it large, but it isn't tiny either. What size is your area? It's also windowed~windows are almost to the floor. The benches from Ballards have backs, and I was going to have 3/4 sheers on the windows as I thought it would make a nice backdrop. Would this be a 'realistic' idea? ;o)TIA

o

Kitchenkelly,

Thank you so much. This is exactly what I want to do, only in a U shape. These pic's will help. I hate to bother you again but by any chance do you have pic's during the building process. It's the insides that I am having trouble with. Perhaps a pic with the drawer removed to see the inside. If its too much trouble please don't worry about it.
I must say the photos on your site are great. You have a beautiful home.
Thanks

o

patty cakes -- I ordered my banquettes from Ballard Designs -- scroll up a few posts to see the photos (the ones with the black-and-white stripes). We're very happy with them.

o

Hi grinchmcg, Sorry I don't have any in process pics and I don't dare take out a drawer because I am afraid I will never get it back in.

I just looked inside and it is just an empty box. The drawers are held in with the extension glides.

HTH and good luck. Make sure you post pics on this thread when you are done!

o

Hoffman, I liked the black/white(or is it cream?)stripes, too, and I think there was a black/cream check fabric also. What size is the space where you're using the banquette? I'm thinking 2 of the 36" benches and the corner bench might work in my space. I used masking tape on the floor, but the corner piece was throwing me off. Do you feel they're well made? If a child stood up leaning against the back, is it so light that it would tip over? I have Grandbabies I need to keep in mind. LOL

o

Kitchenkelly,

Your banquette is awesome and I can't get over the morgue drawers! I am replicating it in my own kitchen and would love to know what the depth is of your seats. I've read they should be anywhere from 18-22" but I'd love to know what yours are as they look just perfect. Your entire kitchen is a dream--great work!!

o

nancy east, that is so nice of you to say. The depth on mine is only 17". I started out with 18" but added more of a backrest slant. I think that 20" would be better. Below is another thread that had the dimensions and pics.

Thanks again. You made my morning.

Here is a link that might be useful: pics of dimensions

o

patty cakes:

I had my banquettes made with my own fabric, not one of Ballard's fabrics. I wanted to use a stain-resistant fabric, plus I think you are right that their choices were black-and-cream and I wanted true black-and-white.

Mine are set up between two walls in a breakfast nook (like a booth in a restaurant) so I don't have the corner piece. I forget the exact spacing but the table sticks out over about the front 2" of each banquette (I studied booths in restaurants, and this is the typical set-up). If you download the ordering instructions from Ballard's website you can get the exact dimensions. You might have more flexibility with the space if you're working in a more open area (not between two existing walls). I do have a 20" bench on the end (with no wall behind it) have never worried that my young kids would tip it over. They are very sturdy and well made -- more like an upholstered chair that you'd have in your living room (that's hard for a kid to tip over) as opposed to a typical kitchen chair (that's easy for a kid to tip over).

Here is a photo of my set-up:

Photobucket

o

Hoffman, So so pretty. Very well coordinated in scale, style. timeless, comfortable. Enjoy. I'm jealous! Bev

o

Hoffman - your banquette is gorgeous!! Are those the Coventry benches? And where did you get the fabric - it's exactly what I am looking for! Thanks!!

o

I have a restaurant booth in my kitchen. I know it is not upscale but the kids and I love it!

[IMG]http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b287/skatiero/P1010122.jpg[/IMG]

o
Booth

I guess that did not work-- let me try again:
Photobucket

o

best thread ever!

BUMP!

(someone was asking about these...)

o

thanks for some GREAT ideas! we are just finishing our kitchen remodel and i've ALWAYS wanted a banquette! now that the time has come to build one, i can't find any PLANS for them!!!! anyone have any???? hoffman, i LOVE yours!!!! i just hate that they charge different prices for the different fabrics! UGH! they are PERFECT though. will post when i figure out how to build "the perfect banquette".... ;) UNFORTUNATELY, no morgue drawers here...need to do piano bench tops for storage underneath. we were going to buy cabs, but kids kicking them would have DESTROYED them, so why waste the money, right? thanks!

o
Round or Rectangular Tables?

We are in the planning stages for an L shaped banquette. The two sides of the L are almost the same. Would it be best to have a round pedestal table or a rectangular (close to square) pedestal table? We'll order the pedestal part and build the top to fit our space. Any recommendations out there?

o

I manufacture banquettes
Rollhaus Seating Products
www.seatingproducts.com
Michael Rollhaus

Here is a link that might be useful: Rollhaus Seating Products

o

I found this really old thread and had another question regarding designing a banquette. Hopefully some of you are still liking your banquettes.

How much overlap should I plan on between the seats and the table? If I am planning my room and where exactly the table will sit, do I put it at the edge of the bench seat or over the seats a little?

o

chamborn,

My neighbor scored some church pews from a church that was renovating and I'm hoping to build a breakfast nook. I've found the book 'more not so big solutions for your home' has measurements and useful images for building booths. They recommend an overlap of 4-5" between seat and table.

o

I know this is an old thread, but maybe some of you are still out there. If I have a 40 inch round tulip shaped table, and want to build a L shaped booth (and will add one or two chairs on the opposing sides), how long should the bench be for each of the arms on the L's - corner to outer edge?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here