Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ecocheap

Does your BlueStar oven singe cabinets next to it?

ecocheap
9 years ago

I have a 30" Bluestar RNB and noticed the louvered kick panel gets insanely hot. Never mind those stories of hot knobs or handles. I don't see those as an issue with my stove, but man, that kick panel is HOT. When my wife was baking cookies yesterday, I pulled out one of our pull outs to the side of the stove and noticed that the door was singed as in partially charred. It was the same on the pull out on the other side.

Is this just a quirk of the BlueStar that I need to learn to live with? Or is this something no one else has seen?

Comments (17)

• fraker
    9 years ago

Setting your cabinetry aflame should not be considered a 'standard feature'.

• ecocheap
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Maybe charred is a bit too harsh. The side of the white cabinet door is now caramel colored :) I knew that this industrial grade stove would be low on insulation, and if this is the case, I can find a work around. I just want to know if they forgot some heat shield in my unit.

I also just realized that there's a separate appliance forum that might give me more responses. Hopefully there's a mod that can move this post. Otherwise, I'll double post. Still new to the forum!

• User
    9 years ago

Can you post a pic?

• ecocheap
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's a picture of the scorched door edge.

• ecocheap
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It looks like I can only upload one picture at a time, so here's a second picture of the door closed if people are curious about how close the door is when closed. I was surprised to see that the pictured door had the most clearance of the two but the most scorched.

The door finish is supposed to be some fully catalyzed conversion varnish.

• crl_
    9 years ago

I don't have a bluestar. But I remembered a similar thread in the appliances forum. Link below.

(The mods here don't ever move threads as far as I know. I would just cross-post in appliances if you want to--maybe note that it's a cross-post.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Appliance forum thread on Bluestar and cabinet

• crl_
    9 years ago

And I see there was a much longer thread in the same situation in this forum. Link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen forum thread on bluestar and cabinet

• User
    9 years ago

Your range is too far back. Or the cabinets are too deep. One or the other. Which amount to the same thing. :-D. The entire door and gasket has to protrude beyond the cabinetry. Pull it forward, and order another cabinet door. That one won't scorch!

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

When I was range shopping, I noticed that the Bluestar's door gasket did not go all the way around the door but rather had a signifigant gap at the bottom. Could that be what is causing the heat to escape?

• Debbi Branka
    9 years ago

I have thermofoil cabs and mine actually melted. They are still under warranty and the cabinet company is sending me replacement drawer fronts and also a heat shield (not sure what that looks like yet.

• crcollins1_gw
    9 years ago

I had to go check ours out. No scorching...

• ecocheap
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks crl for the link! The cabinets are standard depth frameless. I don't doubt that moving the stove forward would help, but the stove installation specs said zero clearance. It's already set forward the thickness of the backsplash.

It's odd that others are have the same installation (crcollins) with the cabinet door overlapping the edge of the stove, and they don't have this issue.

I'm amazed deb's cabinet maker replaced the door. I guess I won't keep my hopes up and contact them as well as Bluestar next.

• carree
    9 years ago

My oven doors protrude out further than the cab doors. No issue. So sorry about your cabinet. Definitely inch in forward.

• cookncarpenter
    9 years ago

Bluestar here, two years no problems.
    It does look in the photo that your cabinet may be too far out in relationship to the range?

• feisty68
    9 years ago

Zactly the same problem here. My range door clears the cabinet front. This is a couple of weeks after installing the cabinet front. See the brownish area on the edge of the pullout front? There was also "melting" of the edge of the cabinet box as well. Installation instructions of the range did not specify a gap between cabinets and range or any special precautions.

• ddfx
    8 years ago

Their ovens are supposed to be zero-clearance, no? so that shouldn't be happening. what does bluestar tek support say?