Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
axxis_rose

BlueStar range burned my Henrybuilt cabinet

axxis_rose
9 years ago

This is a long tale of woe. In a nutshell: my BlueStar oven created a burn mark on my Henrybuilt cabinet door (see photo below), and BlueStar refuses to take any responsibility for a faulty product.

In March 2007, I purchased a BlueStar Range from Trevor at Eurostoves. I'd read great things about BlueStar on this forum, especially about the burners.

Indeed, the burners have been great, but I've waged a five year-battle to keep the door in working order that has made me regret my decision to buy a BlueStar, having spent dozens of hours trying to get BlueStar to handle this problem. Here's what has happened in annotated form:

In October 2009, the door (#1) seized up, and couldn't be opened. Others on this forum have had the same problem. BlueStar was very accommodating and replaced that door (#2) in November 2009.

Things were fine until April 2013, when the door (#2) seized up. I reported the problem and the BlueStar customer relations person told me that there was a problem with the make of that door, and that BlueStar had manufactured a new door. In May 2013, I received the new door (#3) and was unable to install it. I informed BlueStar that the notch hinge receiver on the oven seemed to be worn down and so it was not allowing the door to fit in properly.

A week later, on May 16th, 2013, BlueStar's contracted repair service, Elkay, came and claimed that the door itself was faulty, and that it in fact had two different hinges. BlueStar sent a new door (#4) which Elkay installed.

On October 10th 2013, the oven was on for an hour and a half, and we noticed that there were burn marks on the cabinetry next to the oven. It appeared there was a slight gap in the closed door, which released enough heat to burn the cabinet. I reported the incident to BlueStar, which said it was sending a replacement door to Elkay to be installed.

On December 2nd, 2013: Elkay tried to install a new oven door (#5), but confirmed that the problem that we had initially reported--the receiving hinge on the over (not the door itself--was worn down.

So, with that saga seemingly over, we asked BlueStar to compensate us for the damaged cabinetry, and engaged in a series of frustrating communiques with Mike Trapp, the president of Prizer Painter Stove Works, which produces BlueStar, who surprisingly claimed that we had been using the oven with the door open, which was never the case, and doesn't make any sense.

On January 2nd, 2014, Elkay fixed the hinge receiver (not the door) and successfully installed door (#5).

From January to February 20th, we initiated at least 8 attempts to engage Mike Trapp via email or phone call, and he repeatedly said he'd get back to us, but never did.

Perhaps we're stuck in that lost zone between a product company and a repair company that didn't do the job properly, but, ultimately, it was the product that has repeatedly failed. I am not sure what else can be done at this point, to get BlueStar to face its responsibility in all this, and get a straight answer on whether it will compensate us for damages.

Axxis_Rose

Comments (4)