Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bellajourney

Breakfast Nook Light - Take 2! (more options - what do you think?

bellajourney
12 years ago

Hello again!

Here is thread #2 in "The Search for a Breakfast Nook Light." (Didn't want new options getting buried in the old thread.) Thank you, thank you, thank you all SO much for your help! I can't tell you how much I appreciate it!

To re-cap:

- Kitchen has 8' ceilings, and a big ugly soffit (12" tall by 19" deep). Don't want bulbs too close to it.

- Kitchen style goal is simple, elegant cottage (on a budget; we have a curvy chrome victorian faucet, SS appliances, and hardware will have a "silver" finish (not sure exactly what yet). Lighting in rest of 1st floor is ORB.

- Kitching lighting = 1 recessed light over sink, ceiling fan w/ two 13 watt CFLs, undercab lights, under range hood & microwave light, + soon to be puchased nook light - We need the nook light to provide enough light

Here are the contenders (as much as I LOVE C, the shade is opaque, hence the new options - special thanks to athomeinva for some of the choices!):

And some kitchen pics:

Render (bronze chandelier is light being replaced b/c bulbs are at top of fixture and 6.5" away from soffit)

In Progress:

Current nook table - 57.5"l x 42"w

Color scheme:

THANK YOU!!! :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Original thread (in case anyone is bored, lol)

Comments (32)

• springroz
    12 years ago

I like D. Where did you find that?

I like the fan, too.

• marcolo
    12 years ago

The Sheffield is off-period for your fan, and I think most of these choices seem too fussy for the fan as well.

• bellajourney
    Original Author
    12 years ago

springroz - Thanks so much for your reply! I'm having a hard time finding the pendant lights in the top photo of
    "D" - the closest I could find was the Sheffield light below it at Rejuvenation.com: http://www.rejuvenation.com/fixshow196OP/templates/selection.phtml?n=v

marcolo - I appreciate your reply, thank you! Can I ask (beg) for your help? I'm trying to go for a simple, elegant, cottage look. Did I miss the mark with the fan? I liked it b/c it is short (we have 8' ceilings), and it has a schoolhouse looking light (although with a modern touch) - gardenwebbers liked how the finish matched the appliances. What would you suggest for a fan and breakfast nook light? Thank you!

• lascatx
    12 years ago

I didn't take the ceiling fan as trying to be period correct -- same as the stainless appliances. It gives the schoolhouse suggestion in an updated way, and that's how I read your direction. If I'm wrong, then redirect me.

I still like the pulley light for the same reasons -- suggestion of an older style done in a newer way with the glass similar enough. Not perfect, but good. I like D, but I'd like it better if the shade was smoother. Of the 3 light fixtures, I would only consider E hung down (more light in the table area and less toward the soffit).

I found the one I linked below that might be another direction to consider.

Here is a link that might be useful: Another option

• gr8daygw
    12 years ago

I love the fan and think it would look nice in your kitchen. It doesn't seem to hold any period dear and looks as though it would go with a lot of different styles. I love the clean and simple lines of it. Your new kitchen is coming along nicely and looks great!!! Good luck!

• bellajourney
    Original Author
    12 years ago

lascatx - Thank you so much for your advice and input!!

You're absolutely right. I don't have period correct appliances, or even the cabinets. I was hoping to get true Shaker style wood doors, but they weren't in budget - the Ikea doors were, and they happen to be a modern take on Shaker. So - I guess that's the direction that the kitchen is evolving in. (Plus, I'm not sure if a very low profile cottage style fan with a light exists anyway, I tried to find one, but couldn't.)

I still really like the pulley light too (even though it won't be as bright) - that's why I'm keeping it in the running. The lines and materials are so clean and elegant. The ribbed D shade was the closest thing I could find to the photo - I'd prefer it smooth, but can't locate it anywhere. =/ Good point about E hung down. That was one of my favorites. I really like the lines of G as well (the little scrolls are so cute), but the up lighting isn't ideal.

Thanks for the link! I see how the style works, but to be honest, I'm afraid that I'm not a huge fan of that style shade. Regardlessly, I Truly appreciate your assistance. I think I would be completely lost without this forum. Thank You!!!

gr8day - Thank you so much for your kind compliments and words of encouragement! (I've been stressing out way too much over this, and am in need of some positive energy!) Thank you!! :)

• lascatx
    12 years ago

That's okay. Actually wasn't my favorite, but I had trouble getting links to some others. I can't get photos of these to post in the thread, so I'll just have to link the pages -- they want to make sure you see it on THEIR website. ;-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Another pendant

• lascatx
    12 years ago

Here's another take on that idea, and I'm sure you'll find more options if you like that general direction.

Here is a link that might be useful: and another variation

• bellajourney
    Original Author
    12 years ago

lascatx - You are too kind! Thank you so much for the links! They are very pretty, but all I can think of is all of the dust that will collect in the upside down bowl. =/ If it's a single pendant, I prefer it facing down like "C" or "D."

I feel like we're sooo close to the right fixture, but each one keeps missing the mark a little bit. If C's shade was translucent, it would be perfect. If I could find that top light in D (the smooth one) - that would work nicely too. I love the lines of G, but it's an uplight. I really like E, but can't say that it's love.

Even though DH wanted me to make a decision on this weeks ago - I hate feeling rushed like this. I talked it over with him, and we agreed that I'm going to wait for the fan to arrive and be installed before making a decision. (Hooray!) Who knows, maybe the fan will surprise us and be very bright, and then I can get C. Or, maybe it won't be very bright, then I can put C out of my mind, and will need to go with something like E.

Once again, many, Many thanks for your help! I'll be sure to post again when the fan is up. :) Onto cabinet hardware and finding a chair rail for the dining room! (But not tonight - my brain needs a research break!)

• lascatx
    12 years ago

I agree. If you aren't ready to make a decision, plug in a lamp and let the right idea gel.

• lascatx
    12 years ago

Hey -- me again. Is this more like what you are looking for?

Here is a link that might be useful: pendant

• bellajourney
    Original Author
    12 years ago

lascatx - You are too kind! I think that light is definitely on the right track. I just chatted with an online sales rep, and unfortunately, the shade is opaque. :( But thank you for trying! The kitchen fan has arrived (it is smaller than I was expecting!) - once it's installed, we'll have a better idea of how much light we need in the breakfast nook. I'll be sure to keep you posted. Thanks again!

• lascatx
    12 years ago

That appears to be a frosted glass -- which light will still go through, and I would think more so than the painted white of the one you started with. And the white ones seem to allow more light through than the amber ones. You really don't see many large pendant shades that aren't at least semi-opaque because they hang lower, have a higher wattage and would hurt your eyes to be looking into. Some smaller pendants have a more exposed bulb, and I think that if you found a larger one it would have a lower wattage bulb, so the end result might be worse.

I'm on a quest for a new fixture (and a fan) myself, so if I see something else as I go.....

• bellajourney
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Good points, thank you! The sales rep said it would not allow light through, but I agree with you that it looks frosted (and would be better light-wise than the ceramic porter pendant from Pottery Barn).

Best wishes with your new fixture and fan search! I would love to see what you choose (and any additional suggestions for us are always welcome).

:)

• formerlyflorantha
    12 years ago

{{!gwi}}{{!gwi}}{{!gwi}}

The first is a 3-bulb; the second is a single bulb up to 150 watt incandescent, the third is a convertible single bulb "100W A19 OR TCP" whatever that is. All by Ansonia. Personally I like #2.
    http://www.creative-lighting.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductName=3349NI

Here's an even more mod one...Ara's Energy Star with four 26 watt fluorescent bulbs
    {{!gwi}}

http://www.creative-lighting.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductName=10711NI

This is a Langford, 3 100 watts.
    {{!gwi}}

http://www.creative-lighting.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductName=3384NI

And then there's this 3-100 watt chandelier version of my own "Denmark" pendants from Quoizel, which has chrome not brushed finish and wonderful spotty matte white globes which do not show dust:
    {{!gwi}}

http://www.creative-lighting.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductName=DK5103IS

Have fun stormin' the castle!

• ILoveRed
    12 years ago

Bella-I have the rejuvenation lights "d" in my master bath. On the sconces, on either side of my mirror they are very pretty. Not so much in my water closet room where it is mounted on the ceiling. Something to think about since you will be able to see up into the light sitting at a table. As far as light, the glass lets a lot of light through.

• bellajourney
    Original Author
    12 years ago

florantha - Oh wow, thanks so much for your suggestions! Of the options you posted I like the top middle one and the Denmark pendant (I'm a sucker for elegant, scrolly designs) best. I'll keep them both on my short list. Thank you!

red_lover - That's a really great point. Thanks so much for your informative reply!

• bmorepanic
    12 years ago

I sorta like G. It will bounce some light off the ceiling and produce a more even glow on the table.

I'm wondering if any of the chandies will fit?

A chandy is set 30-36" from the tabletop - so the bottom is at about 60-66". The fixture is 21" high, so 81-87 inches with 9-13" of chain. The fixture is 25" wide and centered on the table that 58" long - about 29" from the wall to the center of the fixture. Can you cut out some paper or cardboard to represent the approximate size, tape it together and "hang it" on some string? Leave it there for a day or two.

• lascatx
    12 years ago

The Denmark is probably not going to be a good choice. Of all the fixtures you've looked at, it would seem to have the most issues with the soffit.

Do you have the fan up yet?

• steph2000
    12 years ago

bellajourney - since you choose the fan in part because of the schoolhouse looking light, have you considered finding lights that continue that schoolhouse motif for the pendants or other light fixtures?

• lascatx
    12 years ago

Here's another one -- the alabaster glass is opaque, but it will let light through. I thought I'd show it to you because it takes up to a 150 watt bulb.

Here is a link that might be useful: Overstock pendant fixture

• bellajourney
    Original Author
    12 years ago

bmorepanic - I sorta like G too (the scrolls are so pretty). That's a great idea about mocking it up with cardboard. I think I will give it a try. Thank you!

lascatx - Hmmmm. Darn soffit. :( No, the fan isn't up yet. It's sitting in its box in our foyer. I'm hoping we can get the electrician to come back this week to put it up. Fingers crossed! Thanks, as always!

Steph2000 - Thanks for your reply! Yes, I was thinking of doing a schoolhouse fixture over the table (that option was shown in my original thread). Some Gardenwebbers felt that if two schoolhouse lights (fan and nook light) were to be used, that they should match exactly. But, I would want a schoolhouse light with some shape to it. Others thought it wouldn't provide enough light, while still others disagreed. It's all very confusing! Lol! I'm ready to attach candle sconces to the cabinets and call it a day! Lol! ;)

lascatx - Thank you, shopping buddy! (DH would definitely approve of the price - I've been going over-budget and driving him crazy with most of my selections; oops.) I think the shape of the porter pendant is more elegant, but I do like that this one would let some light through. I'll keep it on "the list." Thanks again!

• lascatx
    12 years ago

Have you searched CL or freecycle in your area to see what might others might be replacing or what might not have worked as expected for them?

I don't think a schoolhouse has to match exactly -- I don't think you will find one that will since the fan is an updated shape, but it needs to be pretty close. Did you check to see if the manufacturer of the fan also makes light fixtures in that style?

• lascatx
    12 years ago

This one is a style similar tot eh large pendant you've been looking at but with a more unique shade option. I looked at it because it looked like it might let more light through (it is frosted, but not opaque) and it has a 150 W bulb. BUT -- look closely at the shade. The shade is handmade and has bits of colored glass in it. Maybe even more unique than the PB pulley one -- but I still like that one too.

(have to link -- site won't let me copy the photo)

Here is a link that might be useful: Art glass shade

• lascatx
    12 years ago

OK -- I like art glass. There are also some colored shades, one with a white pattern, and then I saw this one -- Italian Bubble Glass -- and the prices are not bad for something so different.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bubble glass pendant

• lascatx
    12 years ago

Saw this one -- they call it neoclassical, not schoolhouse, but the bottom of the shade has that same roundness as your fan light. Takes a 150W bulb. Might be possible.

Am I seeing more things that might work for you than for me because you have lots more options or because I'm looking for an "IT" for me and possibilities for you? ;)

Here is a link that might be useful: Neoclassical

• lascatx
    12 years ago

This one reminded me of your fan, goes up to 100W.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kichler

• bellajourney
    Original Author
    12 years ago

lascatx - Oh my goodness, you are too funny! Thank you for posting all of these! I feel like I should be shopping for you to return the favor! What kind of light are you looking for?

Hmmm - I haven't checked CL for lighting, but that's a good idea.

I don't think the fan manufacturer makes lights too. But, if they did, I don't think I'd want it! (Eeek!) I think the fan light might be a little too plain for the nook light. I'd like the nook light to be a bit more interesting and more of the "star" than the fan.

I've noticed those Toltec lights online! They are very pretty and unique - but, they might be Too interesting. Lol! (I know, I know, I'm being difficult - I'm sorry!) I tend to be a simple, elegant taste kind of gal. But, the overall idea is right - if it was just a little tamer. I'll keep it in mind though.

Ooh - I like the Neoclassical one! That's going on the short list for sure! It definitely mimics the fan, yet it's a bit more traditionally styled. Price isn't bad either. Wish it came in a brushed nickel option - do you think the chrome finish would still work?

The Kichler one Does look a lot like the fan light. And I don't like it! (Is that a bad sign?) Lol! It's too modern for me. (sorry!)

You posted so much! Seriously, if you want help looking for your light, please let me know what you are looking for and I'd be happy to keep my eyes open for you!

Thanks Again! :)

• bellajourney
    Original Author
    12 years ago

lascatx - Ah-ha! Toltec does make tamer options. What do you think - too tame?? Only chrome again though. Drat - I just realized that they are only 12" wide - is that too small? =/

http://www.lightinguniverse.com/general/toltec-lighting-10_g1046801.html?isku=0amp;linkloc=searchProductItemsImage

http://www.lightinguniverse.com/general/toltec-lighting-10_g1046815.html?isku=0amp;linkloc=searchProductItemsImage

• lascatx
    12 years ago

They do -- and I like those. They caught my attention with the ones that were a little different though.

Take a look at their website -- they have Italian marble and swirled alabaster shades in 14" and 16" sizes and in brushed nickel. You cans search the site by finish. You might find a local dealer who will order it for you if you don't find it online.

I'm looking for a breakfast room fixture too -- probably a dark bronze or wrought iron with fat candles. I saw one in a store that I really like, but I don't like the shade on it -- they are butterscotch color and too dark. I'd really rather have white and they just say tough. Can't change them. The gal at another lighting shop who sold us our dining room fixture showed me a white glass that might work, so we ordered one and I'm waiting for it to come it. Meanwhile, I really don't want to buy from a store that offers no customer service (same story when we were looking for the dining room) but I saw this fixture when looking for the dining room fixture and haven't seen anything like it anywhere else.

I've been looking at pendants thinking about replacing the recessed fixture we have in a dormer above our front entry. There is a window, but you don't even see the chain of the foyer fixture, so I thought it might be fun to have something you do see from the street. I've always liked that in other houses. I haven't seen anything that really grabs me -- especially for an area that will be so hard to clean. We put a small Christmas tree up there our first couple of years in this house. I loved it, but not having to go up the ladder and climb up there. Getting up on another ladder or step stool to clean a fixture once up there is not something I would look forward to, so I will have to love it to make the change.

• bellajourney
    Original Author
    12 years ago

lascatx - Ack! I just read your reply now!

Fingers crossed that the white glass fixture is "the one." I'd love to see it! Dark bronze or wrought iron are my favorite finishes for lighting fixtures. I think this is why I'm having a particularly hard time with our breakfast nook fixture. The light that we originally chose was ORB and scrolly (but too close to the soffit). Ah well. If the white glass doesn't work out, perhaps you can buy that one with the butterscotch shades from another store who will swap the shades for you. The lousy customer service store can't be the only place that sells it. Do you know the manufacturer and product name, by any chance? IF not, could you sneak a camera phone photo of it and maybe someone on here can help identify it? Just a thought!

What finish color/style pendant are you looking for for your recessed fixture in the dormer?

As for my hunt, I've been looking off and on. There are ones that I like (including some of your kind suggestions), but I'm not in love just yet. I need to come to terms with not having the dark finish that I had originally envisioned and embrace a nickel finish instead (otherwise it will clash terribly with our little fan). The porter pendant is most likely out though. The fan light is dim and I doubt that changing the bulbs will help all that much.

• lascatx
    12 years ago

My turn to do a just saw this. I am taking my time looking. I have found another fixture for my breakfast room that we might use, but I'm on hold right now. They store where we bought our dining room fixture says they just got back from the trade show and have ordered new stock that will be in shortly. We are going to see what our options are then. Meanwhile, we have other projects to keep us busy.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH