Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bellajourney

Please Vote on Breakfast Nook Light (pics)

bellajourney
12 years ago

Hi everyone!

The breakfast nook light that we bought does not work with our new kitchen layout (we purchased it a year ago, and then changed the kitchen configuration - oops).

In the new layout, the table is pushed against the wall (sort of diner style) to maximize seating and walkway space (we don't want to change the table config). The issue is our HUGE 19" deep x 12" tall soffit (contains plumbing and electric and can't be moved at this point). We need a light that does not compete with it or cast light onto it (thus, highlighting it). I'm thinking that a pendant light would work nicely.

The kitchen style is simple elegant cottage. Backsplash will be either white beadboard or subway tile, walls will be a soft, warm green, hardware will be some kind of silver (maybe brushed stainless steel). We have a polished chrome victorian style faucet. I'll post pics of the lighting contenders and our kitchen:

Lighting contenders (A and B are very similar):

Kitchen Render (pendant will replace bronze chandelier shown here)

Actual Kitchen (still missing crown moulding, toekick, cabinet feet, etc, etc, etc)

Kitchen Fan

Color Scheme

The fan takes two 13 Watt CFLs (DH wants to changed them to LED), and we have one recessed light over the sink. We do need the pendant to provide enough light for the breakfast nook. What do you think? Are one of these pendants a winner, or should we keep looking?

Thank you!!

Comments (35)

• lascatx
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

C gets my first vote, then A, then B, but neither of those are really noteworthy. I'd go nickel with your fan and stainless. I'm not sure if that is an actual pulley or just has the look of one, but I like that detail with the schoolhouse globe on the fan. I like A's shade with the fan light shade better, but it has the least light of the three.

• a2gemini
    12 years ago

Wow- your floor layout is almost the same as our current kitchen including the soffits.
    I will be posting our plans soon! Unless you really need a fan, I would just go with a basic light.
    What is the height of your ceiling in the breakfast area?
    Does the soffit extend into the breakfast area?
    If it is cathedral - I would look at uplights. If it is standard, then a pendant would be fine.
    Since all of your hardware and faucet will be "silver", go with the silver finish with a white shade - so I vote for A in nickel.
    Good luck!

• Ann Scheley
    12 years ago

I vote for C. I like the glazed ceramic shade and the pulley that it hangs from.

• bellajourney
    Original Author
    12 years ago

lascatx: Thanks for your vote! Yes, C's pulley is functional. Ooh, good point about how bright A is. One downside (I think) to C's brightness is that the shade itself is opaque, so light can only escape from the bottom. Wish I could see them both lit up next to each other. =/

a2gemini: Ah - another soffit owner! Can't wait to see your plans! The fan was something that DH Really wanted. The ceilings are all 8' (I wish we had cathedral ceilings!). Yup - we have the uber soffits in the breakfast nook too. Thanks for your reply and vote, and best wishes with your kitchen!

annsch: Thanks so much for your vote!

• jgopp
    12 years ago

My vote is for C.

• lascatx
    12 years ago

C will still let some light through, but most will be directed down at the table. Looks like you have a recessed light over the sink, the fan globe and two windows. Is the table fixture the only light you have to work at the counter by the micro at night or on a rainy day? Is that your concern? Is there under cabinet lighting? A recessed fixture for general lighting? If not, you might want to add at least one of those.

• bmorepanic
    12 years ago

Two thoughts - You could extend the sofit over the table area (Design table area to be cozy rather than ignore the 19" monster) and either do cans or a flush mount.

Second though is about a sconce or a swing arm mounted on the side of the sofit? Maybe a small throw of track, monorail or cable with some neato small lights right in front of the sofit?

Cottagey doesn't need to mean everything old-fashioned.

• murpharoo
    12 years ago

i have C sitting in a box in my dining room awaiting my kitchen renovation
    thats my vote :)

• laxsupermom
    12 years ago

I like C if it doesn't end up too close to the soffit. The pulley is such a pretty eye-drawing feature. I wouldn't want it to draw my eye towards the soffit. If it will land within a few inches of the soffit, I'd go with some of bmorepanic's suggestions.

• Missy Benton
    12 years ago

I like C too.

• bellajourney
    Original Author
    12 years ago

jgopp - Thanks for your vote!

lascatx - Good points! Thank you!! The microwave has a surface light that is fairly bright, and we will have undercabinet lighting as well (not installed yet though). No additional recessed lights in the kitchen, just the one over the sink. Hmmm - so maybe the pendant will be enough.

bmorepanic - Thanks so much for your thoughtful reply! I sort of loathe the soffit, so I'd rather not make it any bigger. Plus the ceilings are only 8' (without the soffit), and extending the soffit will make things feel even more claustrophobic. (Clever idea though!) Do you think the lighting attached to, or right in front of the soffit will draw more attention to it?

murpharoo - Great choice! ;) Thanks so much for your vote!

laxsupermom - Oh wow, that is a great point. Thank you so much! I just broke out the tape measure and the edge of C's ceiling plate will be 6 inches away from the soffit. (The plate itself is also 6 inches, so the center of the plate is 9 inches away from the soffit.) Do you think that is too close? Should I keep looking? Darn soffit!!! I can't wait for the day when we can afford to reroute the plumbing and electric and I can take a sledgehammer to it!

cbusmomof3 - Thank you for your vote!

• laxsupermom
    12 years ago

9" should be far enough away. I wouldn't want it any closer than that. Forgot to say before, that I love how your kitchens coming along! Can't wait to see the final reveal.

• bmorepanic
    12 years ago

But the shade will extend about an inch under the sofit.

• farmhousebound
    12 years ago

If you decide on "C" and haven't purchased yet, and if it's like the one from Pottery Barn featured on e-bay in this item: #380402211878, I purchased this back in 2007 prior to our starting our renovation and never used it--it's been sitting in our barn in storage ever since (along w/ several other items LOL). If you're interested, let me know as I could make you a great deal on it!

• bellajourney
    Original Author
    12 years ago

laxsupermom - Thanks again! Glad that you think the ceiling plate won't be too close. And thanks so much for the sweet compliment! (Our kitchen is not Nearly as gorgeous as the amazing ones that I've seen on here - but we're trying to make the most of what we've got, without getting too much further into debt - ha ha.)

bmorepanic - Good point! I looked at the light on Pottery Barn again, and, I had the width wrong. It's 16" wide, not 19". (Sorry about that!) So, the bottom of the shade will be about 1" away from the soffit (phew!). Do you think that will work, or should I look for something smaller?

farmhousebound - Yes, that's the one! I'm hoping to make a decision on the light by tomorrow. Can I get back to you about it by then?

• farmhousebound
    12 years ago

No problem. I will check in tomorrow after work to see what you decide - good luck!

• cluelessincolorado
    12 years ago

Just being a PIA here, but look at this light fixture from School House Electric, cool for your space, no? What wall color is that beautiful green? What is the fabric? Love your idea board! With YOUR light choices I like C. :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: School House Electric fixture

• lascatx
    12 years ago

The 17" is a more typical width, so that doesn't surprise me. Appears that the fixture will be hung so that the shade is below your soffit (maybe even the top of the fixture). I think that separation will lessen any feeling of crowding. I think it's likely to work very well. Hang the pulley away from the soffit to draw your attention that direction and give the cord more room.

The 6" schoolhouse would be too small -- you would need more than one. That would be best across the length of the table, which might tend to accentuate the soffit issue.

• a2gemini
    12 years ago

bellajourney
    We have the same soffits and floor plan but the breakfast nook is cathedral.
    First contractor told us soffits have to stay. I went for the second opinion (better than the 6 for siding) and for $2500, the soffits will disappear in the new plan!
    I am so excited. DH isn't cause he figured out taller cabinets cost more :-(
    Current soffits very similar - 12 inches high and 26 inches wide! Ouch!
    We ended up keeping the same basic floor plan - but made a few changes. The biggest change is we moved the range and split into a wall oven and cooktop. I will try to post soon. We did move the oven around and made it into a wall oven and cooktop.
    What I like most in our new plan - when I empty the dishwasher, I don't have to hit 3 different walls!
    Good luck on the lights!
    PS - I will try to take pics of our current kitchen and new plans and post - but not for a week or 2. Work is getting in the way of my planning!

• bellajourney
    Original Author
    12 years ago

farmhousebound - Thank you! :)

cluelessincolorado - Thanks for the compliment and your reply! (You are NOT a PIA in the least! I appreciate your help!) What a funky schoolhouse light! Funny that you mentioned it - I have been drooling over both that site and Rejuvenation - they have such Gorgeous schoolhouse pendants! A little pricey though when you add the cost of the fixture plus the shade (over $200) :( A schoolhouse pendant was another lighting option that I was considering for the breakfast nook, but, the ones I like tend to be over budget, and I was afraid that if I go for a more traditionally shaped one (which is what I tend to lean towards), it might not look right with and might compete with the fan which has a more modern, dome shaped schoolhouse look. Plus I'm not sure if the totally enclosed shade will provide enough light. Decisions, decisions!

The green paint in the idea board is BM Hancock Green - but, the actual paint is much cooler than the photo looks. I'm hoping to find a warm, pale green that matches the look of the photo (samples of Fernwood Green, Nantucket Breeze and Dune Grass are sitting, unopened, in the kitchen). I'll let you know if one of them is a good match!

I found that fabric pic online while hunting for my perfect green. (It was paired with Nantucket Breeze.) The only detail given was that it is "Kravet fabric." I haven't searched for it yet. If I can't find it (or if it's out of budget), hopefully I can find something similar. (If you happen to search for it and find it, please let me know!)

Thanks again!

lascatx - Thanks for your input! Yes, I think the whole shade will be a good distance away from the soffit (supposedly it's only 4.5" tall, so it should be 19" below the soffit - Much better than our original chandelier which would have been 6.5" below, with candelabra bulbs at the very top of the fixture). Good idea to hang the pulley Away from the soffit.

I think the 6" dimension for the schoolhouse light was the diameter of just the bronze fixture, not the shade. (The shade is sold separately.) The shade shown was an additional $105 and w 14.5 in x h 9.5 in. I really do love traditional looking schoolhouse pendants, but I'm concerned about it fighting with the fan, the light output, and price tag (the ones I like all seem to be $200 plus). =/

a2gemini - Ooooh - you are SOOO lucky to be free of your soffits!! I look forwards to seeing pics of your kitchen and new plans! Best wishes!! And thanks for your reply! :)

So - it sounds like "C" (the Porter Pendant from Pottery Barn) is the clear favorite. Thanks to that PIA, cluelessincolorado, (KIDDING!) ;) I'm contemplating adding a schoolhouse pendant as a contender, but am concerned about it competing style-wise with the fan, being bright enough, being closer to the soffit, and the price tag.

What do you all think - Should I stick with "C" - the Porter Pendant, or - go with a schoolhouse pendant instead?

Thanks again!!

• colorfast
    12 years ago

I'm not sure what happened to my prior post....but given that you are not planning any recessed lights, I would lean toward a fixture that has 100w equivalent or more. I prefer the pendant style for the table.

I also would gently ask you if you have considered track lighting instead of the fan/light? I know track lighting sounds clunky and 80s, but there are some nice ones out there now. I will link you to a couple.

I didn't have enough lighting in my initial plans and people here on GW really pushed me to up my plans. One of the best surprises of the remodel has been how much enjoyable it is to have enough light--especially making dinner on a winter evening.

Anyway, check out a couple of links:
    Track Lighting Example 1

Here is a link that might be useful: Track Lighting Example 2

• bellajourney
    Original Author
    12 years ago

colorfast - Thank you very much for your reply! I totally agree with you on the 100 watt minimum. "C" the Porter Pendant is 100 watts, and the schoolhouse pendants vary (the one shown with the stripes above can go up to 300 watts, for instance).

DH REALLY wanted a fan, so that is one battle I lost. I'm afraid that we're stuck with it. I'm not sure where else track lighting could go. (Also, do they have more traditionally styled track lighting?) If we have just the fan and pendant (plus one recessed light above the sink, under cabinet lights, and light from the microwave and range hood) - do you think we should consider adding a few recessed lights?

When you said you preferred the pendant light for the table did you mean the Porter pendant, or schoolhouse pendant?

Thanks again for your help! I'm hoping to get this decision made today!

• User
    12 years ago

I bought the Pottery Barn pulley light and tried it out in my kitchen and it was not bright enough because of the opaque shade, replaced it with a schoolhouse fixture from Wilmette and it is perfect.

• User
    12 years ago

Also, since you asked in the last post, my opinion is that you should definitely put in additional recessed lights. Lovely kitchen!

• bellajourney
    Original Author
    12 years ago

athomeinva - Thanks so much for your reply! That is good to know that the opaque shade wasn't bright enough (that's my main concern with it). Do you recall which Wilmette schoolhouse fixture you got (or even the size and/or wattage)? Thanks for the sweet compliment and your vote for adding some recessed lights. I'll talk to DH about that tonight (not sure if we can swing it, but it's worth a try!)

• bellajourney
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here's the layout (the kitchen table that we currently have is bigger than what is shown - it is 57.5" x 42", but it's an oval, so it doesn't take up as much space as a rectangular table would).

The fan will go above where the "CH" is in "KITCHEN" - centered to the aisle and kitchen window. The gray dashed horizontal lines towards the top show how far the soffit comes out.

If we can manage to squeeze adding recessed lighting into the budget, where and how many should we get?

Thanks again! You guys are awesome!!!

• farmhousebound
    12 years ago

bella - just fyi, we have several extra schoolhouse shades that we picked up over time at antique flea markets/stores and have several left over as well (we used these extensively throughout the kitchen and keeping room, including on our ceiling fans). DH was able to order the parts from an electrical site on line and made ours for a fraction of the cost of the above sites. I think they are all larger shades but if you are interested, I will check out the barn later. Also, if you aren't married to the fan fixture you have picked out, you can put a schoolhouse shade on a fan so that they match as I am sure I have two of the same in a couple of different styles. I'll check in later tonight to see what you decide.

Here's a picture of one of the ceiling fans w/ schoolhouse light shade and you can see one of the matching light fixtures.

Here's a shot into part of the kitchen--again, DH "made" all of the fixtures.

I did have to purchase the smaller pendant schoolhouse shades over my sink area but again, DH "made" the fixtures:

• User
    12 years ago

The link at the bottom is for the light. I have the telescoping version in the shorter length above the sink and the longer length above the table but it also comes in 3 set lengths. The shade is 13.5 inches wide.
    When I redid my kitchen finding the right light for over the table was really hard, I tried out several and got stuck with one that was never used so I ended up donating it. Do you have a particular style of lighting throughout the rest of your house?

Here is a link that might be useful: wilmette light

• bellajourney
    Original Author
    12 years ago

farmhousebound - Oh wow! Schoolhouse pendants galore!! They look Wonderful! (Your kitchen is SO charming!!) And your husband wired them all up?! Wow!! I am thoroughly impressed!! The fan looks wonderful too! (One of my issues with most schoolhouse fans was the unsightly neck in the middle, but yours looks great!) We already purchased the fan (it hasn't arrived yet), and I'm not sure if my husband is up for another project (he's working on our first floor base moulding and casing right now) - but, I'll ask! If you don't mind my asking, what was the total cost of a finished light fixture?

If he's not up for the task and wants to keep the fan that we purchased, would it be terrible if the schoolhouse pendant over the table was a different shape than the fan? =/

Thanks again for your reply and photos!

athomeinva - Ooh! Your pendant is Lovely! Thanks so much for the link! Hmmmm - I'm not sure if I have a cohesive style. Here is what we have so far (we bought a fixer upper and are renovating the whole house). I am in love with the foyer light, love the dining room chandelier (will add a few crystals to it!), and am worried that the stairwell light is too fancy...but I do like it. What do you think?

First Floor Lights

Master Bath (very happy with the style of our little bathroom):

Thanks again for your help! I Really appreciate it!! (All these decisions can be so overwhelming!)

• farmhousebound
    12 years ago

I like all of your light choices and think think there should be no problem using them all. I really like your stairwell light. Regarding using "C", above, or a schoolhouse pendant w/ your ceiling fan, I don't think it either would look bad but personally prefer "C".

Regarding cost of our schoolhouse lights, DH advises each light ran him approximately $35 w/ most of the cost being in the shade. If your DH thinks he might want to take this on, we could connect the two and let them talk :) Where (citystate) are you located?

• lascatx
    12 years ago

You can do a schoolhouse globe, but I don't think that will give you enough light. In what is essentially the same room, it is much easier to get a good look if the two schoolhouse globes match. the plain one you posted is probably close enough, but the striped one wouldn't be for me. I still like the pulley light better because it has more personality and presence than a single schoolhouse globe.

If you add recessed fixtures, I'd probably try four -- one in front of the micro, two on the sink wall -- in front of the DW edge away form the sink and the other in front of the corner and then the last one in front of the end cabinet on the way to the garage. That's assuming you have a vent with a light over the stove.

• bellajourney
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Okay, bad news - talked to DH last night and it's a no go on adding recessed lights. :(

Now we do have 6 recessed lights in the den which connects to the kitchen on the breakfast nook side. When those lights are on, that side of the kitchen is nicely lit - but, it would probably be silly to rely on those for kitchen lighting...

farmhousebound - So glad you like the lighting choices (especially the stairwell light)! I'll stop stressing about the stairwell light now. :)

I am still stressing about the nook light though. I agree with you and really do Love the look of "C" - but I'm so worried that the opaque shade just won't provide enough light. I'm afraid I'm still undecided on it. If someone else wants to buy it from you, please feel free - I don't want to hold you up. But I will definitely keep you posted! (We're in Long Island in NY.)

That is an Amazing price on your fixtures. Wow! I talked to DH about making our own fixtures, but he's overwhelmed with all of the house renovations and doesn't want to add more to the to-do list. He just wants me to pick one fixture for the nook and be done with it. =/ Sigh. It would have been SO nice to have had a matching light and fan (and save money too!)

I spent too much time yesterday looking at lights - I stumbled upon a school house shade that is Way out of budget, but soooo pretty. I probably shouldn't be considering it b/c of the price, it's not an exact match to the fan (sort of similar shape), and the concern of light output - but, since you're a fellow schoolhouse lover, I wanted to share it - http://www.antiquelampsupply.com/product/3169 - Pretty, huh? I think I'm drawn to the blue stripe that would go with the color scheme.

lascatx - I really love the look of the pulley light - but, without adding recessed lights - would it be too dark? Should I keep looking? I'm wondering if we should do something completely different to ensure that we get enough light - like maybe a small, multi light chandelier (with lighting towards the bottom to avoid the soffit issue)? I'm open to suggestions.

Thank you both for your help! I can't tell you how much I appreciate it!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Please tell me I'm crazy to consider this since it's out of budget, not a perfect match to the fan, probably won't provide enough light, etc., etc.

• farmhousebound
    12 years ago

No problem--it's not going anywhere except back out to the barn :)

Not sure which size you are looking at, but your blue striped shade is on ebay for a little cheaper (not sure if it would be bright enough, though): 270735075516

Another interesting but a little pricey site to look at is: http://www.barnlightelectric.com/chandeliers/ Excellent customer service.

Good luck!!

• User
    12 years ago

How about something like

first light

(change color to satin nickle to see it in a downward position)

or

second light

• bellajourney
    Original Author
    12 years ago

farmhousebound - Wow! You are good! Yes, that is the light, just a tad smaller. I'm thinking that we will need to go with something a bit bigger. But - I think that it will probably be too dangerous (and expensive) to get a schoolhouse pendant, as much as I LOVE them, since it won't be a perfect match with the fan. Your lighting is sooo perfect! You are so lucky!!

Oh yes, those barnlightelectric lights are lovely! (And expensive!) I'm thinking now that I need to focus on function over form and look for something that will give more light (as much as I love that pulley pendant). I started a new thread with some additional choices, so they don't get buried down here.

Thank you SO very much, once again, for your assistance! You are terrific!!!

athomeinva - Wow!! Those are really nice! Thank you!! I just started a new thread with your suggestions plus a couple more. Thank you! Thank you!!

Here is a link that might be useful: New Thread - with some more options